Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Matazone Down, May-day may-day!
Polocrunch
post May 30 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #1

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 505

The forum keeps going out of action for twelve hours at a time. What's going on, Mata?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post May 30 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #2

This space intentionally left blank

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203

The company which hosts the site was taken over recently, and things have become a little twitchy. Everything will be switched over to a new server very soon, but things have stalled a bit because NThelL have blocked most of my ports (including the ones I need open to finish off the server) and my shiny new high speed power line connection is still not functional despite being installed last Wednesday.

By the way, any tips on DNS would be appreciated!

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post May 30 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #3

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

And now all is clear to me. Cheers, Fuzzra. May the fuzz be with you.

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post May 30 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #4

Barring spontaneous and catastrophic facial combustion it should be. tongue.gif

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 31 2004, 06:49 AM
Post #5

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

The thread title makes me wonder if a number of murderous rabbits are responsible for attacks on the server.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 31 2004, 12:08 PM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

That wouldn't surprise me terribly to be honest. The server that the site is currently hosted on seems to fall over very frequently at the moment, I'll be happy to leave it.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Cthulhu
post Jun 1 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #7

Worrying

Group: New Members
Member No.: 233

Recommendation: http://www.handsonwebhosting.com has good deals and the guy who runs it is very friendly and helpful.

Not a paid advertisement, I use the service and I like to give props when I get a good value for my money.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 1 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Thanks for the suggestion, but the reason that I'm going to be hosting my own site is that it is now impractical for it to be hosted on anything other than a dedicated server and with a minimum of 300GB bandwidth available. I usually use half of that, but it's not unknown for the site to use that much in a month. My PHP usage is enough to crash anything but the most robust set up (which is one of the reasons why these forums have died in the past - the server couldn't keep up with the PHP load from my site).

Most dedicated servers cost a fair bit to hire for the year, and that kind of internet connection is ludicrously expensive, hence the reason that I'm getting a server of my own sorted out.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Cthulhu
post Jun 2 2004, 06:35 PM
Post #9

Worrying

Hmm, it'll still be costly. I think we're paying something like $75 a month for a dedicated T1, which isn't great. Now they're upgrading and we're looking at a major cost increase so we might have to move. That stinks. Oh well.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 3 2004, 01:54 AM
Post #10

You also have the advantage that internet connections seem to be a lot cheaper in the US, although I'm not far below a T1 for a little more that price myself.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Cthulhu
post Jun 4 2004, 06:36 AM
Post #11

Worrying

Probably true. It's probably got more to do with the prolification of the net here, there's just more of it and the whole supply and demand thing keeps the prices a tad lower. But still, it's prohibative for a non-profit site.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jun 4 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #12

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

That and the fact that BT has a monopoly on a part of the phone network that cripples competition a taderoonie... the swines dry.gif

If Bliar wants an Internet-enabled Britain, he'd best pull his finger out and get Ofcom (or whatever they're called this week) to sort it.

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 5 2004, 11:43 AM
Post #13

Yep, they also need to upgrade the exchanges a bit faster. I'm living in a city and my local exchange isn't properly broadband enabled yet, goodness knows what kind of service people get living in the countryside.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jun 7 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #14

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

I'll tell you what service they get.

Bugger all!

There's some places getting RADSL (which is a longer distance one which is a bit slower, from what I can gather) and others that are getting wireless. There's a wireless one in East Manchester for all those who can't get broadband. And we're talking just a couple of miles out of the city here. I know NTL never cabled there, but I'm stunned the BT exchange isn't fully sorted. It's odd cos I work within half a mile of the area and I've got ADSL here...

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 8 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #15

I did know a guy who got a massive pipe to his house and then set up a line-of-sight wireless network along his road for the neighbours. Technically it could work for rural areas too, but it would certainly be fiddly to get going.

These days the guy is being paid a huge amount to set up communications networks in Iraq.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Jun 8 2004, 02:58 PM
Post #16

: P>

Member No.: 991

Theres was a scheme involving wireless and blimps (or barrage balloons more likely - I just think the word blimp is cooler) with an access point and an omni-directional antenna. If I could guarantee a return on capital invested and our village hadnt suddenly managed to get broadband in the last few months I probably would have brought an nice fat net connection and set it up myself using wireless.

Me and some friends were going to do a wireless network over the rooftops here (becase we are all a few streets away from each other) but it died because the custom antennae didnt work properly (or at alll).

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Jun 8 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #17

Perhaps the Cookie Cantenna might be of some interest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Jun 8 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #18

: P>

Member No.: 991

Cool...I've seen ones made from pringles cans before. The only problem is that I can't eat a whole can of pringles (crisps that come in cookie/biscuit packet sized cardboard tubes, for the americans) without puking blink.gif .

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Jun 8 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #19

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 8 2004, 01:26 PM)
I did know a guy who got a massive pipe to his house and then set up a line-of-sight wireless network along his road for the neighbours. Technically it could work for rural areas too, but it would certainly be fiddly to get going.

There was one bloke living in a rural area who was fed up of not getting internet at his house, so he set up a transmitter in his office, and built a huge aerial on his roof made out of dog food cans. Apparently he got good reception too. Probably homeless, hungry dogs as well.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Jun 8 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #20

The trick to aerials is getting the maths right. If you do that you can use almost anything. Many years ago I used to play with CB radios, and managed to get to Holland with my little (legal power rating) 4W rig, and an aerial made from a length of copper pipe with a biscuit tin filled with crumpled foil on the bottom.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cthulhu
post Jun 9 2004, 09:35 AM
Post #21

Worrying

Uh, yeah, lots of people did that, we used to like to go rip down their antennas, skip shooting is actually not legal, at least not in the U.S. You're not suppose to transmit for longer than 30 second intervals. The only way you could reach further than say, 30-50 miles is to shoot skip (bounce your signal off the ionosphere), which is amazingly annoying as it ties up frequencies for others who want to use them legitimatly. If you want to reach father distances you should have gotten a ham radio and a license.

-N3DX

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Jun 9 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #22

Oh, I certainly couldn't transmit that far, I was just impressed by the reception I was able to get.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oni Usagi
post Jun 9 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #23

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 240

QUOTE (moop @ Jun 8 2004, 02:29 PM)
Cool...I've seen ones made from pringles cans before. The only problem is that I can't eat a whole can of pringles (crisps that come in cookie/biscuit packet sized cardboard tubes, for the americans) without puking blink.gif .

This is a little off topic but. We have pringles in america, and for future reference, 'crisps' isn't the best word to use to describe 'chips' to americans, as many won't know what you're talking about, though you should be fine using it here, I guess.

A little bit more on topic, I have been lucky so far and not had any problems with matazone being down when I got on. This is mostly due the fact that, for a while, I was limited to 2 hours online per day, which I usually used up by 2am. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jun 9 2004, 02:52 PM
Post #24

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

A couple times I got "page cannot be displayed" but I was actually able to *go to another site* until it was all better. Yes, it was painful, but I lived. tongue.gif

And I don't know about you, but I could probably eat a whole can of pringles without any ill side effects (well, diarrhea maybe). Damn are those addictive. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Cthulhu
post Jun 10 2004, 04:32 AM
Post #25

Worrying

The Pringles "Cantenna" idea is actually more useful for WiFi. A company actually makes one that they sell that's a bit better constructed..

http://www.cantenna.com/

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 10:23 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!