IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Preferred Foreign Language, I'm sure some of us have one.
Which *foreign* language is your preference?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 35
Guests cannot vote 
Righteous
post May 31 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

As usual, this is an attempt to settle an arguement. I love the Spanish language while pretty much every person in my life prefers something else. I have long-running arguements with Spiffy and Harmonie about which is better, or rather, how much French sucks compared to Spanish (no I'm not serious). I'm also a fan of British English (which to some is as much of a foreign language as any tongue.gif ).

What about you guys?

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 31 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Had to null it. I speak enough French and German to just about get by - I like both languages - and (this may come as a surprise) I quite like American English; it's generally concise and to the point, like many Americans. A number of Americanisms have crept into my speech: I'll often talk about movies, for instance.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 31 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #3

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ May 31 2004, 04:11 PM)
Had to null it. I speak enough French and German to just about get by - I like both languages - and (this may come as a surprise) I quite like American English; it's generally concise and to the point, like many Americans. A number of Americanisms have crept into my speech: I'll often talk about movies, for instance.

So you go to the movies and not the pictures?

--------------------

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 31 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #4

We say we go to the pictures, but individually we call them "films" rather than "movies". I prefer "movies" though.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post May 31 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #5

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

I went with Spanish, i dated an Argentian and it's the best lanuage to be sworn at in, she had to stop for breath twice just to finish the insult leveled at me wink.gif .... God i miss her, now she had passion rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post May 31 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #6

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

I'm a fan of German. I just think that it sounds cool. I'm pretty shallow like that. tongue.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post May 31 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #7

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

While I do enjoy being ordered by Rammstein to buch dich, I had to go for Italian. It's beautiful like French, but much more lively, and considerably less pretentious.

+Quote Post
Raptor Red
post Jun 1 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #8

Has WAY too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,118

LATIN ALL THE WAY!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My deviantArt
My LiveJournal
My Gaia

With great geekiness comes great responsibility
===
And on the eighth day, god created fangirls...shortly thereafter, he said unto Adam..."my bad"

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Jun 1 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #9

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

I grasped Latin like no other language. Yet, I was not allowed to take it because I had to choose a 'Modern Language' (bastards)

That sucked.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jun 1 2004, 01:12 AM
Post #10

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

I'm not sure. I hate Spanish. It's so obnoxious. I'm learning German and it's fun to command people in. French is sorta hard to speak. I love the British language and anything British - the Canucks have a few odd phrases too. I don't know though, I'm so accustomed to American English. Of course it's the movies! The pictures? You mean the Kodak ones?

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
jicama
post Jun 1 2004, 01:16 AM
Post #11

a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is

Group: New Members
Member No.: 46

tlhIngan Hol che', 'a vIjatlhlaHbe' QaQ 'oH! wink.gif tongue.gif

...so ya, i choose other. 'cause i'm a geek.

--------------------
i don't need eternal truth, i've got shadow puppets!

+Quote Post
Raptor Red
post Jun 1 2004, 01:51 AM
Post #12

Has WAY too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,118

I'm taking German in high school and in college I'm going to take German and Latin. I love both languages.

--------------------
My deviantArt
My LiveJournal
My Gaia

With great geekiness comes great responsibility
===
And on the eighth day, god created fangirls...shortly thereafter, he said unto Adam..."my bad"

+Quote Post
Prince Aries
post Jun 1 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #13

Ai Ravana-hime

Member No.: 421

Watashi wa baka-chan. Yes, I speak HORRIBLE butchered Japanese at current, but we'll let that slide, since I have yet to take my language classes.

I *ADORE* Japanese. I find it a fascinating language. It started with anime and import games sometime around 10 years ago. You'd think I'd have picked up more of it by now.

Tenisu no boifruendo. That's all I have to say. happy.gif

--------------------
Pimping Lolo and ridin' teh Trout since 2003. Dominated by Tigersong, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 1 2004, 02:05 AM
Post #14

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

Are you talking Spain spanish or Mexican Spanish?

I say punjabi and sign language are the best.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Sir Maxerpopple
post Jun 1 2004, 02:10 AM
Post #15

Is conformity, consumption, and obedience really that bad?

Member No.: 644

Hawaiian for me, because it is so terribly inconvinient and hard to speak. When you can tell people to make a right off King Kamehameha III road in less than 3 seconds, you are gifted.

Alot of Polynesian languages repeat things in words, like the writing of the Rappanui people was galled "rongo rongo".

That's so cool.

I love islanders.

--------------------
Still around, just lurking.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 1 2004, 02:17 AM
Post #16

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Sir Maxerpopple @ May 31 2004, 06:09 PM)
Hawaiian for me, because it is so terribly inconvinient and hard to speak. When you can tell people to make a right off King Kamehameha III road in less than 3 seconds, you are gifted.

Alot of Polynesian languages repeat things in words, like the writing of the Rappanui people was galled "rongo rongo".

That's so cool.

I love islanders.

In Hawaiian LoLo means stupid and brain. laugh.gif Hawaiian is a cool language I must agree.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Jun 1 2004, 02:27 AM
Post #17

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

My family is primarily German, so I grew up listening to German at home, although my first language is English. Still, nothing motivates me to this day like a good "Mach schnell!" My French is lacking: I only remember the ever-helpful "Tu es un stupide merde-tet". I also hold American English in general distaste. Honestly. It's barely English. ^^ Of course, I base my like or dislike for a language on "the colours", which I don't expect most of you to understand...misswired brain synapses and all that. anyway, deutsch. Ich liebe Deutsch.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 1 2004, 03:18 AM
Post #18

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ May 31 2004, 07:36 PM)
I grasped Latin like no other language.  Yet, I was not allowed to take it because I had to choose a 'Modern Language'  (bastards)

That sucked.

When I saw The Passion of the Christ, I could understand a good bit of what the Romans were saying because Latin is so similar to Spanish. Italian is even closer. Kick-ass.

--------------------

+Quote Post
craziness
post Jun 1 2004, 04:00 AM
Post #19

crazi

Member No.: 20

espanol! maybe its because i always have been around "spanglish" for my entire life. and i speak it frequently. i have always hated the way french and german sounded. british english is funny. australian english is WAYYYY COOOL! you f*in w*nker, your going to make me F*in spit chips! f*in t*sser! sorry,,,,,,,trying not to curse because i know those are curses but i dont know how bad they actually are. i heard that booty is like an unspokenly horrible word to say in some places. now THATS funny. i think italian sounds really romantic! with lo about punjabi!

--------------------
Love is real.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 1 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (jicama @ Jun 1 2004, 02:15 AM)
tlhIngan Hol che', 'a vIjatlhlaHbe' QaQ 'oH! wink.gif tongue.gif

...so ya, i choose other. 'cause i'm a geek.

By the High Council, you are such a geek. Congratulation to you for speaking the tongue of the Empire, however.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jun 1 2004, 02:01 PM
Post #21

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

I haven't the slightest idea. Next year I have the option of picking Italian, French, or Japanese (I know I don't wanna take Spanish). What to choose? blink.gif

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post Jun 1 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #22

My cute little Aislinn!

Member No.: 1,123

QUOTE (Righteous @ May 31 2004, 09:08 PM)
I love the Spanish language while pretty much every person in my life prefers something else. I have long-running arguements with Spiffy and Harmonie about which is better, or rather, how much French sucks compared to Spanish (no I'm not serious).

Haha, now you have to add me to the side of Harm and Spiffy, because you know I love French. I was talking with Spiffy and she practically fell over when she knew I spoke a little french. We're gonna gang up on you, and when we talk about you at your house, we're gonna talk in french and force you to take it if you wanna know what we're saying mwhahaha. laugh.gif

--------------------
"I can kill catering with a thought!" - Darth Vader

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 1 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #23

Shut up, noob!

If you pull that, Trina gets no ass.

--------------------

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jun 1 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #24

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

I picked British English, just because I love how you people smish everything together so nicely. It's like, I hear you, and I know you're speaking English... but it's just not clickin'.
Pff... "pictures". Do you call pictures "photos" then?

I would've picked something else, but I'm not learned in any other language. I had French in middle school, but I decided French teachers are wierdos, so I took Latin this year, but I can't take Latin II because Berkeley wants you to by bilingual for your Literature doctorate, so I have to take Spanish... blah blah blah... anyway, I have to start now to be any good for college. That all leads up to me saying that I hate spanish with a passion, but I'll have to deal dry.gif

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Fallen1015
post Jun 1 2004, 08:57 PM
Post #25

forum duct tape enthusiast

Member No.: 901

i like german cause it sounds so cool when its being said.. everything sounds sorta.. i wouldnt say evil, but demented almost.. its nifty.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 07:06 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!