Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sca Craze, Society for Creative Anachronism
Artemisia
post Jun 1 2004, 07:22 AM
Post #1

never enough yaoi in the world...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 783

Sorry if we have already had this as a topic....... Just wondering if anyone on Matazone is a practicing member of the SCA, the Society for Creative Anachronism, which is a fun and educational world-wide organization dedicated to researching and re-creating medieval life. Local chapters in towns and cities often meet a few times a month to dress in period costumes (600 AD - 1600 AD), learn period arts and crafts, make armor, and practice swordsmanship and archery and whatnot.

Fantasizing about joining it has been taking up all of my time lately...it's constantly on my brain, and driving Tigersong absolutely batty. He, Jaq, Jicama, and I are going to go to the Saskatoon chapter's "Tavern Night" on Wednesday to check it out.

Anyone here a member? If so, tell me about your barony and kingdom, what your group is like, what was your best event, and what you like best about it all.

For more info, SCA webpage
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 1 2004, 07:54 AM
Post #2

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Coincidence, I was just reading up on the SCA yesterday. They sound like a fun bunch; I'm not so much about events that have actually happened, though.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Jun 1 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #3

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

I was involved for a while in the barony of Seagirt in the kingdom of Antir. I was even adopted by a family. The natives are friendly. biggrin.gif
It's an interesting way to learn about anything from embroidery to swordfighting depending on the group. Pick a period of medieval history and study up on an avatar. Fantasy creatures need not apply. There are no elves in the SCA.
It is a lot of fun. Don't let the authenticity nazis get you. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 1 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #4

You'd be in the Kingdom of An Tir, right, Artemisia?

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
jicama
post Jun 2 2004, 01:02 AM
Post #5

a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is

Member No.: 46

*doesn't see artemisia, and so decides to field question herself*

yes, saskatoon, or the "barony of myrgan wood" does reside in the kingdom of an tir. or so the internet tells me. all i really know about the sca in s'toon is that they dressed up for the opening of lotr, and as payment they got a special screening before the public saw it. oh, and just now i discovered that the acronym "sca" is also used by the saskatchewan curling association.

but i'm very excited to go check it out! is it wednesday yet?

--------------------
i don't need eternal truth, i've got shadow puppets!

+Quote Post
Enslaved
post Jun 2 2004, 03:54 AM
Post #6

Holy Goddess of Natopia... since 1985

Member No.: 822

This has slight relevance. Once a year in a teeny tiny little town in the south west of Western Australia, they have a Medieval Festival... where they do sword fighting, jousting, a medieval ball and display all their Medieval stuff... seen as I'm somewhat of a Medievalist, I'm going this year, but couldn't make it last, because I had to work sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image

I lie, I wait, I stop, I hesitate, I am, I breathe, I meant, I think of me. Is it any wonder I can't sleep? All I have is all you gave to me. Is it any wonder I found peace through you? Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough. I taste, I love, I come, I bleed enough, I hate, I'm not, I was, I want too much. Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough.

+Quote Post
Artemisia
post Jun 2 2004, 04:19 AM
Post #7

Well, Tigersong, Jaq, Jicama and I are all set to go tomorrow night! Lord Hamish has arranged for "loaner garb" to be available, as I haven't made us all tunics yet, and we went to Value Village (a thrift store chain) and got these wooden salad bowls and glass goblets and a cheap metal tankard. Hopefully we won't be disappointed! I have even taught myself how to "tablet weave" and have got about a foot and a bit of green and white diamond weave going on! I think I will be Lady Catherine (or Lady Caterina, we could go Italian, and then Geoff could be Lord Giovanni-- close enough). Bring on the Middle Ages! We'll tell you how it goes tomorrow night!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 2 2004, 04:24 AM
Post #8

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I would be careful of the SCA if you ever go to one of their camping events. This may only be from my local chapter but from what I hear it was a bit of a problem when my sister joined. Women were not aloud to walk alone at night through the campground unless they wanted to be "violated." From what I heard from my sister it was a justified way of getting to rape a woman because they were re-inacting the old times. Other than that discomfort though she seemed to like it.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 2 2004, 07:02 AM
Post #9

That sounds...slightly disturbing, Lo huh.gif And Art, according to the SCA website, you're not allowed to affect titles. Titles are bestowed by the SCA's royalty or won in combat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Jun 2 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #10

Costume or "garb" can usually be borrowed from Gold Key.

Get any group of people together and you are going to have a few idiots that want to ruin it for others. Hope the rapists were brought up on charges with the police. Okay I really hope they were skinned and rolled in salt but I'd settle for hearing their a**es were thrown in jail.

--------------------

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Artemisia
post Jun 5 2004, 08:18 AM
Post #11

Just in case anyone cares, Jicama, Tigersong and I did go to the Tavern, which turned out to be a small medieval-ish feast followed by lots of medieval games- backgammon, 9-men's morris, fox and geese, chess, some African-inspired game where you move pebbles in rows of cups, and an early version of shuffleboard with hand-made board and all. Tigersong really enjoyed playing a Japanese card game involving matching flowers with other flowers and appropriate seasons. He looked wonderful in a totally foppish gold-metallic tunic and doublet that was too big for him, though must have felt a bit foolish at the time! I think this could be a lot of fun....I think I will continue to learn tablet weaving as my first medieval skill, and I'll make some T-tunics right away so we have something to wear of our own next time!

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Jun 5 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #12

Glad you had a good time. biggrin.gif
The african game involving pebbles and cups is called mancala.

--------------------

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Jun 5 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #13

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

that does sound like fun... smile.gif do you know if they do it in the UK, i couldn't find that specified above at all.

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 5 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #14

Yeah, Pie, they do it in the UK - or, I should say, the Crown Principality of Insulae Draconis biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Jun 6 2004, 01:08 PM
Post #15

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

lol laugh.gif sounds like a hoot!

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 01:04 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!