Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I Being Paranoid?
LoLo
post Jun 2 2004, 04:20 AM
Post #1

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I was talking to my mom about this earlier and she thinks that I'm not being paranoid but I'm afraid I am so I wanted to know if I could get some objective opinions from people on here. First I need to set the scene though.

I don't know how many of you were around when I first started posting here which was a few months after I lost my last job. I was an assistant manager at a music store and I got fired after a year of hell put on me by co-workers who wanted my job and a boss who didn't like the fact that I knew more about running his store than he did. He often set me up along with 3 other co-workers who all had something good coming to them when it came to money or raise in rank when and if I left that job. He would give me unreasonalbe tasks in an unreasonable amount of time and hold me to higher expectations than he himself was held to. This was all to get me to either leave or to set me up to be fired. After a year of it and me often proving that I could do more than what was expected of everyone else, he finally set up an impossible task and fired me for it. This makes me a little on guard with anyone else that I work with now because I don't like that feeling that I'm being stabbed in the back or could be. This is why I want an objective opinion from those who are willing to give it.

I don't know if I told people on here, but I recently got promoted at the job I am at now (despite my attempts to not be promoted). The girl who had the job before me got run out and I got her keys since I was the only logical choice. They were talking about hiring someone and having them take over after the summer when I went back to school, but with my schedule for next semester I'm able to work full time still and so that got tossed out of the window and I get to keep the job.

There is a new girl that I work with though who is making me nervous. She watches me like a hawk to see how I do things and these are things that she doesn't need to know how to do in my opinion. One of these things is that she watches me close down one of the registers before we close to make the final closing go a lot faster. She's told me that she needs to know how to do it so she stands there and watches me do it so she can figure it out. I'm pretty sure that she doesn't need to know how to do it since it's supposed to be one of the people who has keys that does this task, and she never stays after the doors are locked anyway. I make sure to go fast so she can't follow the steps I'm taking to close everything down and I don't tell her what I'm doing. She's said stuff to me before when I've had the money from the register I just closed in my hand about how I wish that it was all my money and that makes me nervous too. I wouldn't risk my job for a couple of hundred dollars and people who think that way enough to say something about it, I've found usually would.

Other things she's done are things like today. I had her doing inventory on some notepads that I grabbed the backstock out of the back for and told her I had thrown some extras on the top of the box and that she needed to count what was on the floor. I never told her that I grabbed stock from the cabinent that they are also kept in. I get back from my lunch and she gives me this odd smile and my boss looked at me funny, then the girl confronts me saying, "Did I remember when she asked me about the pads in the cabinent." I told her no I didn't and that I had asked her if she checked there right before I left on my lunch. She said I didn't tell her that and then told me I had told her I grabbed the pads from in the cabinent and threw them in the box I handed her. I know I didn't though so this bugs me. She then told me I probably misunderstood her question, which she never asked me. So here she made me look like an ass in front of my boss and like I was giving her misinformation which is why I got the looks from her when I got back from lunch.

There are just other things here and there where she seems to try and get me to talk crap about my job and I don't that bug me. I've known people in the past who do that so they can turn and tell what I just said to the boss, so I watch what I say especially around people like that. The thing about it is though that so many people are unhappy there and talk crap and this new girl gets so into it, that she may just be doing it because she enjoys the drama.

The feeling that I get is that this chick is trying to undermine me perhaps so she can get my job, or that she was hired for this job but I wasn't told and that she is undermining me so the bosses can get rid of me with a clear concious. There are times though that I know the bosses think highly of me and want to keep me, like when they have to cut back hours and they tell her or someone else under me not to come in. In this time of cutting back hours I've actually gained more hours. Next week we have to do a big task and she wants it to be done when I'll be working 2 consecutive days so that I will know what's going on and mistakes won't be made. She's going to have just myself and her mom working on this because she knows she can trust us. So as long as this girl doesn't make things hell for me I think my job is safe.

What do you guys think? Paranoia or is my uneasiness waranted?

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jun 2 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #2

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

She doesn't sound like the most likeable person. But as you said your Boss trust you and she'll still be an unknown ellement so it's better for your boss to keep hold of you. Is it something you could mention to your boss using your last job as an example as to why your feeling the way you do? Cause from what you were saying about it I can understand why your feeling lkie you do.

*hugs*

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jun 2 2004, 08:46 AM
Post #3

My direction

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 495

Bah, some people are just twats*. From what you're saying it sounds to me like shes the more insecure/paranoid person out of you 2. If she carries on like this maybe you should mention it to your boss? S/he obviously trusts you, so who knows it might be the best way forward. In any case *hugs* people like that always end up getting themelves into a huge mess anyway so when she does you can point and laugh tongue.gif

*(I have no idea whether that counts as strong language on here so im leaving it in because its true, if its too strong, can someone change it plz)

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 2 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

It could just be that she really really wants to get promoted. That doesn't necessarily mean that she's after your job. Equally it could be that she's trying to work out ways to steal things from where you work without being noticed... Or she is just nosey. The latter is the most likely. Some people don't have anything more interesting to do in life than poke around other people's lives.

The thing about the question: She probably thought she did ask you, it was most likely an honest mistake. People can convince themselves of many strange things given the opportunity and motivation (such as trying to get out of something).

There is a very good phrase that I heard a few years ago:

Never attibute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.

It's well worth repeating to yourself a few times a day, and it gives you a superiority complex at the same time too. Hurrah! smile.gif

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Jun 2 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #5

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

Mata pretty much said what I wanted to say, only more eloquently... but I'll say it anyways

She's probably just a moron and a thief. I wouldn't worry too much about her. Except for the fact that she might try to steal some money, she seems a bit too dull to do anything else that would hurt you or the store.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Jun 2 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #6

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

Meh I'd just pass her off as a nut job and try to ignore her. If she gets too unbareable try talking to your boss about it.

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 2 2004, 04:02 PM
Post #7

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

Thanks guys. So it looks like the person is just a twat and I'm a bit worried due to my last job. Thanks for the feedback from those who've given it so far.

I think I'm going to have a talk with my boss tomorrow about the girl when it comes to things like closing down the register just to make sure I am right that she doesn't need to know how to do it.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jun 2 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #8

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

Hmm, if she is a liar and a thief and a twat (which I'd bet money on) then I'd keep an eye on her. If you're paranoid, you should be. If she gets confronted about stealing or whatnot, she may blame it on you (or someone else), and that's all you need on your record--fired twice, and once for stealing.

It's a good idea to talk to your boss about it, he can handle it, and take the stress off your back-- and make you a very successful member of society *claps*

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jun 3 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #9

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

mmm ... sounds like what jonman would call an 'arsehat' ... and I agree with matas bit about malice ... You really dont want to get paranoid on this issue, cos then you'll start seeing things that aren't there, and I'm guessing this one is nosey/bored/experienced enough to make you look bad if you start getting wierd on her ... Personally I like to rip stuff like this right out in the open ... "You wanna move away from me while I'm doing the till ... You're bugging me ..." kinda thing ... Cant vouch for the results though ...

(P.S.: I think we can consider twat to be a striong enough word ... its supposed to mean 'clitoris' in slang, and is unlikely to be considered as a 'clean-enough' word ... Makes my ears bleed, anyhow ...)

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 08:00 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!