IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Older Guys And Younger Girls, should I tell my parents?
Aislinn Faye
post Jun 12 2004, 02:47 PM
Post #1

My cute little Aislinn!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,123

I started dating this 22-year-old, and I'm 17. He's a complete gentleman, still a virgin, and plans to stay that way until he's married. He hasn't missed church since he was seven, and he's living his dream job. He's an overall nice guy, but because of his age, I'm afraid to tell my parents, and he's afraid to tell his, and he's even more afraid of my parents finding out. I've taken a vow of abstinence, so nothing has happened between us. I hate lying to my parents, but I'm so happy with him, he makes me wanna be honest and clean. I'm truly happy with him, but if I tell my parents I'm afraid I won't be able to see him until I turn 18. Gah, just some support and advice please.

--------------------
"I can kill catering with a thought!" - Darth Vader
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jun 12 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #2

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

Hmm.. sticky situation. I think that you should tell your parents. Technically, it will be safer than taking the risk of hiding your relationship. I think your parents will be less mad if you told them then if they caught yall dating. And if anything was to happen to you, they should know who you're dating.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jun 12 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #3

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Tell them, like Silver says it's better that they know now because sneaking around really doesn't get you anywhere.

It's only 6 months before you're 18, they should be understanding because it's not like on your 18th everything suddenly changes and you are an adult or whatever.

Just be honest with them and they should appreciate it. Good luck, he sounds great.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Jun 12 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #4

~¤~Sanity Impaired since 1986~¤~

Member No.: 82

Yeah its best to talk to your parents about it all. It's not a really bad age diference like 10 years or anything. Plus then your relationship will not get stressed from the secret.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jun 12 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #5

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

Pretty much what people have aready said and just think what there reaction would be if they found out from some one else they'll think your trying to hide some thing and it'll get blown out of proportions where as if you tell them now your self yes it might cause some problem to start with but you might be able tosort them out in a lot calmer way. And as has been said the age difference really isn't that big in the long run.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jun 12 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #6

Confused. Very Very Confused.

Member No.: 941

Tell them about him. Heck, have the parents meet him.... if he's as good as you say, I'm sure that would be encouraging to your parents.

--------------------
In your misery
You're not alone
So come share your tears with me
And witness it all go wrong

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Jun 12 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #7

A monster of someone elses creation...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 873

QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 12 2004, 05:59 PM)
Tell them about him. Heck, have the parents meet him.... if he's as good as you say, I'm sure that would be encouraging to your parents.

That's a good idea, then everyone will (or should), feel better about the situation. Besides, he's not that much older than you, so they should be okay with it.

Hope everything turns out fine for you *hugs* smile.gif

--------------------
Come freely, and of your own will, and leave behind some of the happiness that you bring with you...

+Quote Post
Gothymothy girl
post Jun 12 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #8

Bleeg?

Member No.: 1,021

MOst people say tell your parents,and I agree.

BUT

I see your predicament. If I was stuck like this, I probably wouldn't tell them.
Then again, I'd gett my a$$ kicked, so id probably WISH i did.

So my overall advice would be tell them and get it over with.

--------------------
>(|||> Pround owner of the Uber-carrot! Ph34r it! Come closer. . . so I can slap the sh*t out of you! . . . do I LOOK like a friggin people person? Bumper stickers are so lame. . . Bumper STICKS are where it's at! You should duct tape a stick to your bumper and be like me!
. . . I'm hearing voices but all they do is complain. . .
What if I had a mustard-drenched cucumber tied to my leg and I did not want my pants to get dirty? Ya better checkety-check yourself before ya wreckety-wreck yourself! Once you finally create something original, someone comes along and steals it. . . not to say that's a BAD thing. . .

+Quote Post
kidvicious2punk
post Jun 12 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #9

word

Member No.: 359

i think you should tell your parents,

it would be a lot different if he was like out of work,lived in his sisters basement kinda guy

but if hes a good as you say he is,you should go for it

also..the age difference isnt as big as i thot you were going to say..like your 13 and hes 21 or something..you practically an adult anyway smile.gif

he sounds wonderful by the way happy.gif

--------------------
salviadivinorum.

+Quote Post
Queenie
post Jun 14 2004, 06:24 PM
Post #10

YAY!!! Garfield my cute little honey bun!!

Member No.: 341

Wow... he sounds amazing wish i could find one!!

Don't worry about the age gap. 5 years is nothing serious, i went out with a 30 year old - me being 19 and he has a 11 year old daughter. Was the best and worse 6 months of my life.

Anyway your bloke sounds great and i don't know you that well but from your post you seem so positive and happy that it must be a good thing. All you can do is talk to your parents hopefully they will be supportive and stand by you, and if you explain to them how you feel about him and him about you i'm sure they will. Good luck and all the best with him. smile.gif

--------------------
SQUEAK BED SQUEAK!!

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 14 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #11

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

My sister (the older one) recently broke up with a 34-year-old cat whom we all thought she was really into. My folks met when my mom was 21 and my dad was 31. I had a girlfriend who was 14 when I was 17 (why Lord?). It's not really that bad. From what I've known of your dad, if you put it in the right light, he should take it well. Your mom appears to be a nutjob (yes, that is a technical term). She got sketchy when she found out how old I am, even when she found out we met in high school. I also recall you saying I can't hug or kiss you (platonically; I'm like that with my friends) when I'm at your house. You might want to be careful with her on this, or wait until you move to your cousin's place as a "by-the-way."

And I do want to meet this cat. He sounds cool. Hell, when Trina, my cousin and his girlfriend comes down, you two should come chill with us at Moon River or something.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Jun 14 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #12

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

I'm just really echoing what everybody else has said...

He sounds like a really amazing guy and someone that any parent would be proud to have dating their daughter.

Perhaps you could start by introducing him to your parents as a close friend and go from there? When they meet him like that and understand what he's about and that he really doesn't pose a threat to you, they may be more open to the idea of the two of you dating?

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post Jun 15 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #13

My cute little Aislinn!

I talked with him and I talked with my cousin's mother in law. And we've come to the conclusion that I tell my father. But, I'm going to move in with my other cousin until he gets a house. Thank you guys for all your support and advice. And my mother is crazy I'm just going to tell my dad. And wait to tell my mother when I turn 18. Thanks again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Jun 15 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #14

This space intentionally left blank

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203

The main thing that strikes me about this doesn't have a great deal to do with you and your chap per se. What I see is that sooner or later you and your parents are going to go through a change in your relationship as the realisation comes that you are growing up. There really isn't a way for anybody to avoid it coming out sooner or later, but the main thing to remember is that objections they may raise are partly to do wih you being their child, and partly because they have been in the world for longer than you. A lot of arguments can be saved by remembering that they have most likely been there and done that in their past.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 15 2004, 01:16 AM
Post #15

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

You're a wise cat, Fuzz. And you have facial hair and guys with facial hair are awesome.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Jun 15 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #16

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

My friend went through a situation exactly like yours. She ended up telling her parents and they're fine with it. I guess it all depends on what your parent's personalities are like.

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post Jun 15 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #17

My cute little Aislinn!

yes.. very wise words indeed Mr. Fuzzy and I agree with you. I was talking with my brother and he's dated my friends (he's 21) and I asked him how he would feel if I dated someone his age.. and he about flipped, but I guess it's the older brother cliché thing to do. I'll post here again when I tell my dad and tell you guys what happened. Which will probably be in a few days. I just wish I could tell my dad face to face (I live in Florida and he lives in South Carolina). But anyway, thanks again for you guys support and advice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post Jun 16 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #18

My cute little Aislinn!

Gah.. I'm such a coward. I had my Dad on the phone today... and I was about to tell him.. then I just told him that I had something to tell him, and that it was good news.. and that when he came down to enroll me in school that I would tell him. And yeah... god, I'm such a coward.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord of darness
post Jun 17 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #19

Pocky Ninja Master

Member No.: 205

well you should spill it to your parents. They have no right to tell you know and if not then you have to wait a year to see him. Ifthat is true you can see it as a test of your love or what not. People do that sort of thing all the time.

--------------------
DDR MASTER
I am the Pocky Ninja Master |>34|2 |)4 |\|!\|\J4
My new minoin is MATA I snached him first YAH!!!
A member of Mr Snaffleburger Death Cult
I have a acid bunny named fluffy the distroyer
I have a Vadka Imp named Jenifer she give me tasty jucies and sell well (yummm Vadka)
I peadged to ish go ish

click for pic (sorry, the pic's a little too big...debs)

+Quote Post
craziness
post Jun 17 2004, 01:36 AM
Post #20

crazi

Member No.: 20

im 14 and there is a 19 year old guy who wants to go out with me. i said no because for me thats just too bizzare. i mean, why would he want to go out with someone so much younger. i think hes kind of weird. hes making me feel really bad about it but i dont want to deal with the many issues it will bring such as it being ILLEGAL and plus id feel like a huge skank and plus telling my family??? definitly staying just friends. but if your 17 and hes 22, your both more adult, and i think its ok. plus, its only illegal for a few more months. (for me its only illegal for what....4 years?) laugh.gif

--------------------
Love is real.

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post Jun 23 2004, 02:26 AM
Post #21

My cute little Aislinn!

mwha!! I have told my mother. My cousin's husband said it was the best. And we were both getting stressed from hiding it. I told my mom that I kinda liked him and I thought he kinda liked me. She said "you're dating him.. I knew you would." then I asked her if she would be okay with the idea, she asked how old he was, and then she said "no." But my loving brother stood up for me and she's okay with it. But she did say "If I find out you guys are having sex, I'll have him arrested and break both his legs, and he'll have a hard time finding a job." Kinda pissed me off, because she didn't need to say that, plus she doesn't take my vow seriously. Buuut...I did tell her, and she didn't flip. Now I can't wait to tell my dad. laugh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif -=is happy=- laugh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jun 23 2004, 03:02 AM
Post #22

Confused. Very Very Confused.

Member No.: 941

Wow, that's great. I'm glad things worked out. smile.gif

--------------------
In your misery
You're not alone
So come share your tears with me
And witness it all go wrong

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Jun 23 2004, 03:44 AM
Post #23

~¤~Sanity Impaired since 1986~¤~

Member No.: 82

Ah yes, the father's reaction will probably be a real pip as well. Good luck to you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
marmalade
post Jun 25 2004, 10:38 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 654

that's nothing, i know some-one who at the age of 16 was going out with a 12 year old! dry.gif

--------------------
ignore me - i'm ignorant

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post Jun 25 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #25

My cute little Aislinn!

Mwha.. I have also told my dad.. over the phone, I couldn't not tell him any longer. I told him that I met a guy, bla bla bla. And he's like "Ohh.. how old is he?" And I told him that he was 22, and ofcourse he said no. But I didn't get upset, I just told him that I want him to meet Jeremy, and he said that he would, and I asked him to meet him...with no prejudice, and he said fine. So... when dad comes down, he's gonna meet him. happy.gif And this whole time I thought I had something major to worry about, I guess honesty is the best policy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 10:09 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!