Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scoliosis, Yikes.
gothictheysay
post Jun 16 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #1

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 959

I had my physical yesterday morning to see if I was all well and good before going to high school in the fall. I got a tetanus shot that still hurts on my left arm and is a bit swollen. Even scarier, though...

My back has been troubling me since late April. Bad backs run in the family, so no one was surprised. I got a massage and it felt much better, but it still hurt. My dad and I were hoping we could get the HMO to pay for a chiropractor or massage to make it feel better because it hurt so horribly, so I complained to the doctor. I bent in all directions and proclaimed when in hurt.

"Bend over," she said. "I'm going to make a nail-mark on your back."

After inspection and the nail-mark, she said I had a mild case of scoliosis (Sp?) which is curvature of the spine. This is something I was told I might get JOKINGLY because my backpack was so heavy during school. I told my dad back in May, and he's like "No, you get that when you're old."

Apparently not. It's just sort of scary. I get to go to physical therapy for it. Yikes. I didn't think it was THAT bad.

Well, as long as my back feels better... blink.gif

:old granny mode: Be careful, kids. It could happen to YOU!

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 16 2004, 04:26 PM
Post #2

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Erk, my sister has that...hers I think is mild too, at least she doesn't complain much.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jun 16 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #3

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

A couple of my friends have it. It's not and old person thing and it probably wasn't caused by your back pack that probably just agrivated it. I think your born with it and but with you growing that will have made it more obvious. One of my friends get by with just having it massaged or whatever every now and then. But my other friend has it prettybad and has to use a crutch some times and is likely to end up in a wheel chair later in life but as I said she does have it badly so dont let that scare you your probably going to be more like the first friend and just need massage sometimes.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Sir Maxerpopple
post Jun 16 2004, 05:26 PM
Post #4

Is conformity, consumption, and obedience really that bad?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 644

It actually could have been a result of a heavy bag, make sure from now on you keep it on both shoulders and try to lighten the load if at all possible.

--------------------
Still around, just lurking.

+Quote Post
#tay
post Jun 17 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,165

Ouch. I remember when we were tested for scoliosis at my school a few years back. I hear you can also get it if you hunch over 'way' too often: Your back grows crooked if you do it too much.

--------------------
A proud DDR Freak. Though I still need training. = =;

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jun 17 2004, 09:18 AM
Post #6

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jun 16 2004, 05:25 PM)
After inspection and the nail-mark, she said I had a mild case of scoliosis (Sp?) which is curvature of the spine.

Oooo poor you sad.gif My boyfriend has curvature of the spine but he's never referred to it as that before. It just means his back looks more S like that most peoples. He gets back pain if he stays in bed too long but it's never really been a major bother to him. He just uses it as an excuse to get lots of back rubs! rolleyes.gif Perhaps you could try that! wink.gif

I get weird pains in my left shoulder when I've been walking about for too long. Usually when I've been shopping. Perhaps it's my wallets way of telling me to stop! laugh.gif It's very odd. I can only assume it's something to do with my carrying my bag badly when I was younger but who knows unsure.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
jenofthejen
post Jul 6 2004, 08:02 AM
Post #7

all8^

Member No.: 1,167

I have scoliosis in my lower back. It has gotten more noticeable the past few years. Just remember to you use minimal amount of pressure to your back, bend at the knees, ect. . (you can use it as an excuse for almost anything biggrin.gif) Don't let thinking about it consume too much of your time. You will be fine.

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jul 6 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #8

My direction

Member No.: 495

Awww hun sad.gif *huggles* Yeah back problems run in my family too, I get back pains a lot (though mine are nowhere near as bad as yours). Its not fun.

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 6 2004, 03:14 PM
Post #9

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

My gf Sues has that too, apparently hers was mainly due to always carrying a heavy bag on one shoulder. There's not a lot that can be done about it in her case, but it doesn't really affect her life either, so it's no biggie, it just sounds really scary when you first hear it!

Looking on the bright side, in ten year's time scientists will probably be able to grow you a new one ph34r.gif

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jul 13 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #10

Today was my first day of physical therapy! I have two stretches to do daily and I got a massage and a humongous ice pack applied. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Jul 17 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #11

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

Mine spine is messed up, but it's not scoliosis...my lower back just curves in much more than it's supposed to. It really helps to get a messenger bag. Because the strap is on one shoulder and the weight is distrubuted on the opposite hip, it's better for your back, especially if you switch shoulders every once in a while.

Today was my first day of physical therapy! I have two stretches to do daily and I got a massage and a humongous ice pack applied. 

They made me do this too. I despised it passionately (people...touching me...ugh). And I have no idea where the packet descibing the excercises I'm supposed to do went. I still do some of them, though...I'm not that self-defeating. Mostly. Have fun with PT. Heh. It eats up time and makes you sore before it makes you better, but it helps a lot in the end. In the meantime enjoy the massages. ^^

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Jul 18 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #12

A monster of someone elses creation...

Member No.: 873

Ah, you poor wee thing - and when doctors apply long medical names to things it always makes them sound awful!!

Make sure that you use a back-pack type bag and wear it on your bag, not slung over one shoulder - and take care of yourself!

*hugs* smile.gif

--------------------
Come freely, and of your own will, and leave behind some of the happiness that you bring with you...

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jul 18 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #13

Messenger bag purchased biggrin.gif I might even be able to use it for school, since it's pretty big.

Thanks all, and F-Sarah I shall wear my bag on my bag wink.gif

The only massage I got was a pretty light one..."soft tissue" or what not. I resisted the urge to spontaneously scream "Dig in your elbows lady!"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jul 20 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #14

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

My sister has that. It doesn't bother her much though.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Jul 20 2004, 06:34 PM
Post #15

A monster of someone elses creation...

Member No.: 873

QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jul 18 2004, 09:55 PM)
I resisted the urge to spontaneously scream "Dig in your elbows lady!"

Hee! Hee!!

Just don't say "Lady, when do you put on the stillettos and walk on my back?" wink.gif

Take care! x

--------------------
Come freely, and of your own will, and leave behind some of the happiness that you bring with you...

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jul 20 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #16

Just don't say "Lady, when do you put on the stillettos and walk on my back?"

That's what I've been looking forward to wink.gif

Today I pedaled backwards on an arm bike. blink.gif And pulled stretchy rubber. And then got a massage (a little more pressure this time!!) and ice. I got a ten minute nap with the ice on; that was nice. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 05:23 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!