2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bible Thumpers..., Big rant ahead.
#tay
post Jun 18 2004, 03:59 AM
Post #1

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,165

Why is it that some people act like everyone is a follower of "God the Father"? I'm serious. Many people go around mindlessly saying "God hates gays, God hates Sinners" what about the people that don't believe in a God? Or the people that don't have the same religion as you do? Pardon me if this is an ignorant question, but isn't it true that 'every' religion doesn't consider homosexuality an abomination, or a sin?

I just don't get it. Even though these people may be 'thinking' they're embracing the Christian religion and doing what it tells them to, all they're really doing is trying to convert everyone to their way of thinking, when they already have their minds set. Just because a majority of a country is Christian doesn't mean everyone in that country is a Christian. And yet, that's whe way we're treated. Let's take homosexuality as an example.

They say you can't sleep with someone of the same gender as you, and it's a sin, and an abomination, and god forbids it. It seems like pretty much 'every' arguement I see, that goes against, homosexuals, is a religious one. And no, they never say anything like "This information is only directed twoards Diciples, and no one else." but they treat it as if that were a universal way of thinking. As if EVERYONE was a follower of God.

They think they're convincing others to discriminate against homosexuals, when they really aren't convincing anyone but people that already know this crap. How many people do you know of that respected gays all their lives, listened to a Bible Thumper say it's wrong, and then have their way of thinking converted? Not too often, right? They're wasting their breath. And they're suffocating us less religious individuals with their own lectures and bible Verses. I'm downright tired of having all these greedy, selfish, religious opinions being forced onto me when I already have my mind made up.

I'm not saying we should get rid of all Christian beliefs - I'm just saying they shouldn't act as if the universe revolves around Christianity - because non-religious individuals, such as myself, are starting to get caught up in it. I wish they'd just understand that.

No offense to anyone, of course. I know all Diciples aren't this way, and have full respect for those who don't fit this description. = =; And if I made some grammar or punctuation errors, I'm sorry about that, too. I tend to do that a lot when I rant.

--------------------
A proud DDR Freak. Though I still need training. = =;
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Jun 18 2004, 06:47 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

You are forgiven wink.gif

But in all seriousness, I understand how you feel. But, you can't judge a whole religion by a few people who rub you the wrong way. As a Christian, I try to be very understanding of all religions and people.

First off, those who say "God hates gays, God hates sinners" are wrong. Stop listening to them immediately. God doesn't hate anyone. That's not what he's about. In my opinion, and I take it very seriously, the one thing God is, is Love. That's the only way I can describe him. He loves everyone, no matter what. You can be gay or an atheist and God will still love you. He may not like the things you do or say or believe in, but He still loves you. So, those people are wrong and hate mongers. Tune 'em out, cos they have their own problems to deal with.

Now, your problems with being "converted" I may not be able to solve, but I can try to explain them, from my point of view. They way I see it, those that try to preach the Gospel are only trying to spread the love of God. They want you to know and feel the joy that He can bring into your life every day. They do it because they care about you as a person and want you to experience salvation. Maybe there are some people who do it for their own selfish reasons, but like I said, don't judge everyone by a few bad experiences.

Of course, all of these are my own personal views and are no way indicative of any of the views and opinions of any other Christians or such. That's just how I feel. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs and I am not going to stop them from expressing them in anyway.

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Jun 18 2004, 06:53 AM
Post #3

Microwave your children

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,164

This world is predominantley Christian, hence why they speak as though it's a "universal way of thinking".

Perhaps they are wasting their breath, but it's their religion and they wish to speak out about it. They have the right to do so. Yes, it's a little offensive when they brand passers-by as 'sinners', but there's nothing that can be done about it. The fact is, if you wanted to do the same thing, you could.

Homosexuality is considered a sin because it's considered 'unnatural' (how following your natural urges by sleeping with someone of the same gender can be considered that way is beyond me). There's no chance for procreation in such a situation. When faced with an argument like that, you need simply question if the church would stop an infertile hetrosexual couple getting together.

Christianity spent a lot of it's early days 'converting' others - going abroad to 'spread the good word', and so forth. It seems to be a tradition that has continued throughout the years, but instead of going to other countries, they scale it down to the streets and towns.

It's never really bothered me, personally. It's so easy just to ignore them, and let them get on with it. They have their own opinions, and believe in the Bible. I don't. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 18 2004, 07:32 AM
Post #4

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

[quote=#tay,Jun 17 2004, 11:59 PM]Why is it that some people act like everyone is a follower of "God the Father"?[/quote]

They don't. A lot of folks like the ones in question think that the world is a horrible, horrible place and that it's up to them to save it via yelling at others and outlawing things which, as both a Christian and an anarchist, pisses me off the most.

[quote]I'm serious. Many people go around mindlessly saying "God hates gays, God hates Sinners" what about the people that don't believe in a God? Or the people that don't have the same religion as you do?[/quote]

It's more of an ego trip thing, similar to the "I'm right and you're wrong" mentality.

[quote]Pardon me if this is an ignorant question, but isn't it true that 'every' religion doesn't consider homosexuality an abomination, or a sin?[/quote]

You're right. Not every religion considers it an abomination or a sin. Some do and when folks use the "because God said so" arguement are guilty of religious reletiveism which basically discredits religion in general spacifically the one that's being "defended." The guys who ran the planes into the World Trade Center did it "because God said so."

[quote]I just don't get it. Even though these people may be 'thinking' they're embracing the Christian religion and doing what it tells them to, all they're really doing is trying to convert everyone to their way of thinking, when they already have their minds set.[/quote]

It's not just a Christian thing. People do that with all things. It goes back to "I'm right and you're wrong." Keep an eye out and you'll see it all over the place.

[quote]Just because a majority of a country is Christian doesn't mean everyone in that country is a Christian. And yet, that's whe way we're treated.[/quote]

Hate to say it, but that's not the case. The majority of Christians are harder on non-believers for being non-believers than believers who stray from the path. Scriptural evidence, to me at least, shows that we should be harder on other Chriatians than non-believers. The rationale is similar to "because you should know better," which really isn't a bad idea.

[quote]They say you can't sleep with someone of the same gender as you, and it's a sin, and an abomination, and god forbids it. It seems like pretty much 'every' arguement I see, that goes against, homosexuals, is a religious one.[/quote]

Once again, religious reletivism at it's worst. It's a really slippery slope in intelligent debate, especially when two people can think to opposite things "because God says so."

[quote]And no, they never say anything like "This information is only directed twoards Diciples, and no one else." but they treat it as if that were a universal way of thinking. As if EVERYONE was a follower of God.[/quote]

Yeah, everything is taken out of context. They forget to point out the historical significance and context of everything. I'm reading a book right now that explains the entire historical context of everything, from customs of the times to the situations the early church was in. My favorite out-of-context line is "women should be seen and not heard." First off, when translated into Greek, it really doesn't sound to bad, espaecially for the times. It refers to times when women who found a lot more freedom in Christianity than their native religions, would be up front and open to their husbands about things, sometimes in the middle of church. Unfortunately, you can find something to "justify" anything in the Bible.

[quote]They think they're convincing others to discriminate against homosexuals, when they really aren't convincing anyone but people that already know this crap. How many people do you know of that respected gays all their lives, listened to a Bible Thumper say it's wrong, and then have their way of thinking converted? Not too often, right? They're wasting their breath. And they're suffocating us less religious individuals with their own lectures and bible Verses.[/quote]

Many folks think that if you scream loud enough, people will listen. Most of the time, though, they're appealing to those on the lunatic fringes of society that listen to this crap.

[quote]I'm downright tired of having all these greedy, selfish, religious opinions being forced onto me when I already have my mind made up.[/quote]

You're not the only one, #tay. I'm a Christian, a metal head and an anarchist living in the Bible Belt, where a nice number of people are psychotic churchgoers, fiercely republican and seriously think that metal is Satan's music (I once performed Slipknot's "Left Behind" and this asshole [who btw was about as dumb as a rock] tried to beat the crap out of me, literally citing his reason being my appreciation for "devil music"; he was unsuccessful; besides, if anything, I'd consider that poppy Britney Spears-type crap Satan music, but that's a-whole-nother rant).

[quote]I'm not saying we should get rid of all Christian beliefs -  I'm just saying they shouldn't act as if the universe revolves around Christianity - because non-religious individuals, such as myself, are starting to get caught up in it. I wish they'd just understand that.[/quote]

Well, to most Christians, it does, me being one of them, however I agree that shoving one's beliefs down others' throats is wrong, even counterproductive. I do understand so I don't force anything on anyone (plus I've gotten it all my live, so I know where you're coming from).

[quote]No offense to anyone, of course. I know all Diciples aren't this way, and have full respect for those who don't fit this description.[/quote]
Thank you for doing so. A lot of folks lump the rest of us in that category and personally pisses me off.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Little Green Got...
post Jun 18 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Only YOU can answer that question!

Member No.: 384

I agree with Irish. Compleatly. Besides, a lot of them are standing up for what they believe in. And perhaps it's imposing what they believe in on other people, but at least they arn't letting themselves be pushed around. I've seen it many times where someone hasn't stood up for the morals they believe in. It saddens me greatly and I congratulate you for expressing your oppinion. tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
tptcow
post Jun 18 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #6

Savior on the Blood Church St. Petersburg, Russia

Member No.: 978

Most of these bible thumpers are the most ignorant stubborn people I have ever seen. I was attacked by one, verbally, the other day for typing my views of space exploration. The nut was rambling on about world government and some other things. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of these people take quotes from the bible and use them for thier own political agendas, which isn't a correct thing to do. Sometimes there are people in my town from the Church of the Latter Day Saints who go around wanting to talk to people about what they believe. I don't like it when people go around telling other people how they should live or what they should believe.

--------------------
Western Kentucky University
Facebook
Xanga
Formerly: Trumpetperson

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jun 18 2004, 06:34 PM
Post #7

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

I have a real problem with people that condemn Christianity (or any other religion) just because they don't agree or have had a few bad experiences. If you are going to assume that every Christian is some stubborn southern Bible thumping homophobe, than you yourself are prejudiced.

Of course there are people like that, but in your posts, you make it sound like every Christian is Satan on earth and beyond being ignorstn, that's pretty much as bad as being a homophobe, racist, or someone that hates Muslims because they are Muslims. Religion is there to make people feel better, to provide a good moral fiber for society, and if you can't deal with the fact that some people take comfort in the thought of a higher power, than that's immature.

You really approached this conversation from a sophomoric, and, truthfully, teenage point of view. I would reccomend bringing more ammunition to this battle field.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jun 18 2004, 06:56 PM
Post #8

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

To me, there's a difference between a Bible thumper and just your regular old Christian. I think of Bible thumpers as those who try to convert other people, condemn the heathens and infidel to Hell, and generally frown on those who don't believe in God. I guess, in this sense, I made the mistake of calling my friend's Bible huggers, because they're not like that. They're just Christian, just like I'm atheist.
Bible thumpers are also those who are very adamant about Christianity, and are unreasonably intolerant of other religions or the lack of.

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 18 2004, 07:23 PM
Post #9

Shut up, noob!

Come on, Mike. Ease up a little. Though I can see your points, our dear #tay does have some good points and ideas as well. I don't see #tay as being predjudiced, rather having bad experiences with Christians, which I and others here have had as well. #tay doesn't seem anti-Christian to me. In any case, there are good and bad Christians on this Earth. The good kind love, accept and care while others wear shiney crosses and cling to one ideology like an infant to his mother. I'm sad to see so many folks, Christian and otherwise, unwilling to explore their spitituality, perhaps finding deeper truth and meaning instead of figuratively poking one's eyes out to ensure he/she doesn't see anything that may challange his/her views. Those types become the kind that knock others for their views.

I have seen one good instance of Bible-thumping. My mother, a bit of a churchlady, was going through her USA Weekend and saw an article about hate on the internet. She took note of one particular site, one GodHatesFags.com. She checked out the site, reading every page thoroughly and, without saying one word, got her Bible, pulled up an e-mail and Biblically ripped them a new one. I was proud of her.

[spam]

The nut was rambling on about world government and some other things.

Dammit. They're usurping our (anarchists') turf!

[/spam]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jun 18 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #10

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jun 18 2004, 08:34 PM)
you make it sound like every Christian is Satan on earth

*cough*

I know all Diciples aren't this way, and have full respect for those who don't fit this description.

Sounds to me like its a bash at the minority, not christians in general.

Of course I find nothing wrong with religion, theres nothing wrong in believing in a higher being, an afterlife and so on, whatever floats your boat really. Though these believers seems to be forgetting that the Bible (as we're dealing with Christians in this case) was written by men, and is therefore fallable, predjudiced and in my opinion, ficticious. Whats more (again, we're dealing with the bible) it has probably been translated, copied, retranslated, had food and drink spilt on it, and finally edited by a multitude of different people for who knows what reason a good example being the King James bible (heavily edited), which, if you didn't know is currently the widely accepted standard. Setting all that aside the Bible is open to individual interpretation and so means something completely different to each and every person on the planet.

I also have major problems with religion having influence in the running of a country, even if every single member of the populace believes it is so, something that is so open to interpretation cannot be a basis for law etc.

Oh, and seeing as there is no proof whether this are or are not god(s), I think it would be wise to point out, that anything on the subject is mere speculation, or beliefs, just because you're an athiest and BELIEVE there is no God, doesn't mean there isn't, the same is true for any variety of theist, saying someone is wrong in their beliefs is close minded, and the only thing that is certainly wrong in this subject.

Mike, if the vast majority of this forum is teenage, I am teenage, #tay is teenage and you are also teenage (assuming profile information is correct). Surely a teenage point of view is to be expected, isn't it? So condeming (sp? is there a N in there somewhere?) an argument as teenage would seem to be stating the obvious, patronising and infuriatingly superior (I'm sensing a pattern in your posting style here)...well to me at least

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jun 18 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #11

Vive y Deja Vivir

As soon as I saw your post, I knew someone was gonna get told. *Claps for SPS*

--------------------

+Quote Post
#tay
post Jun 18 2004, 08:17 PM
Post #12

Mike, I'm sorry if you feel this way, but I can completely handle the fact that others take comfort in the thought of a higher power, and am not anti-Christian at all. My entire family, in fact, is fully Catholic and Christian. I'm just expressing my opinions on the horrible things I see some Christians do, and still knowing all Christians are not like that. If I were assuming such, I'd be a hipocrit, because I'm against any kind of religious prejudice, whether it be Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism or whatever. e e;

The reason I'm picking Christianity as an example of this, though, is because pretty much all the situations in which I had religious opinions forced onto me, those opinions [happened to be from a Christian's point of view. Therefore I really can't include Buddhists or Muslims, because I've never been in a situation where they've forced opinions on me. In a nutshell, I'm trying to say people should stop expecting everyone to follow their own way of thinking. Call it an attack on intolerance. But I can understand why you took it the wrong way, seeing how I might've gone a bit too far on the offensive side. ^ ^; and for that, I apoligise.

Righteous, I remember reading something about your mom telling off those morons using the bible on your website once. (I enjoy... randomly clicking on user websites. Go figure.) That was just, splendid. to tell you the truth, I never really thought Bible Thumping could be used in a positive manner. But I was proven wrong. XD; 0wned.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jun 20 2004, 04:40 AM
Post #13

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Tay, I understand what you mean. Let me show an example here:

I was working the register at work today, and while ringing up this lady's purchases, she kept talking about how blessed I was, did I have a home church, did I know Jesus? And being Christian, I chatted with her while bagging her stuff, it wasn't really a problem.

But in the back of my mind, it was slightly irritating, and as she walked away (after wishing me an especially blessed weekend), I wondered how she would have reacted if I had said I was currently unchurched, which is closer to the truth, or if I had been an atheist or agnostic, what would I have said? Would I have lied to keep her from pushing religion at me?

This isn't an isolated incident. We cashiers tend to average at least one evangelist each per workday. Whether it be blatant witnessing, as the lady today did, or just handing out those pamphlets with some inspirational story with some Bible verses at the end, it happens every single day.

I don't think it's necessarily fair for people to do this, as it puts cashiers (and lots of other people) in very unwanted awkward situations. I understand that witnessing is at the core of many Christian denominations but I wish there was a more effective, courteous way to go about it, you know?

+Quote Post
arpeggiodreams
post Jun 20 2004, 06:06 AM
Post #14

salad dressing for is unsightly

Member No.: 755

Today, I saw a car with a bumper sticker that said "MARRIAGE= MAN + WOMAN" from the 700 Club.

A foot to the left, it had a sticker that said "GOD LOVES EVERYONE." Can I be confused?

--------------------
I am too busy with all this dust and all these branches weighing on me
Proud member of the RPA--- saving the world,one irrelevancy at a time

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jun 20 2004, 09:03 AM
Post #15

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (arpeggiodreams @ Jun 20 2004, 08:06 AM)
Today, I saw a car with a bumper sticker that said "MARRIAGE= MAN + WOMAN" from the 700 Club.

A foot to the left, it had a sticker that said "GOD LOVES EVERYONE." Can I be confused?

It's almost like they're contradicting themselves.....but that can't be right....can it? tongue.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Jun 20 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #16

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Member No.: 383

QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Jun 19 2004, 09:40 PM)
We cashiers tend to average at least one evangelist each per workday. Whether it be blatant witnessing, as the lady today did, or just handing out those pamphlets with some inspirational story with some Bible verses at the end, it happens every single day.

I don't think it's necessarily fair for people to do this, as it puts cashiers (and lots of other people) in very unwanted awkward situations.

It really is an especially awkward situation for cashiers to be put into this position repeatedly, especially since I'm pretty sure I could be fired for squirting glass cleaner in a customer's eyes. Part of the job is to treat all customers with some degree of respect, but they really make it hard on us when they're bringing in something completely unrelated to the job by trying to feed us sunday school lessons. That type of thing always seems to knock me off balance because it just seems unbelievably rude for a complete stranger to walk up to me so presumptuously and tell me how I need to live my life.

I used to have a customer who would come in about once a week, and if I didn't have any other customers at the moment, he would spend 15 minutes trying to tell me that all I needed in life was to "find god." Excuse me, but I didn't remember telling him that I was lacking anything in the first place! (Well, aside from the fact that I was "lacking" god in my life, but that's my business, not anyone else's, and I never said anything to him about wanting to have god in my life anyway! mad.gif )

Even outside of work, I sometimes feel like I'm walking around with flashing red lights pointing me out as an agnostic who is in need of conversion, because I seem to get the most random encounters with jesus freaks who never seem to take the hint that I would rather have them leave me alone. For example, I was walking to work last week, and some guy rode his bike past me and, out of nowhere, he tried to tell me that he had become really good at studying faces, and he could tell just by looking at my face that I must be lacking something in life and that I wasn't happy. (There it is again, I swear I am cursed by this face.) Very confused by this approach, I insisted that everything was fine. However, since he was so convinced of his skill in reading faces, he insisted that I must not be telling the truth, and then he used this conversation as an outlet into the usual conversion attempt, telling me that what I probably needed was to "find god." mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif How presumptuous of you to approach me out of nowhere and insist that you know enough about me simply by looking at me, to be able to tell that 1) I'm lacking something in life and 2) you know exactly what would help...which just so happens to be YOUR RELIGION! Argh!!

Sorry for ranting, but this type of thing really makes my blood boil, especially since it seems to happen to me so often. Plus I'm just not having a very good week overall.

--------------------
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
~T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jun 20 2004, 09:49 PM
Post #17

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Hmm. I think that it is admirable that some have conviction. Really I do. But I must agree, even as a Christian, that most "Bible Thumpers" go about it in a completely incorrect manner. The "Bible Thumper" doesn't understand that it is essentially like preaching Hinduism to them as it is preaching Christianity to atheists/agnostics and that they would rather be left alone. I'm all for spreading the word of Christ. I believe that you're a fool if you disagree with the stuff he said (you know... love thy neighbor, be nice to each other) and the basic teachings of God are good too (don't kill people, don't steal, don't cheat on your wife) but I would never force the theological preachings down someone else's throat. It doesn't serve to get them to the Christian side, but in reality pushes them away.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 21 2004, 05:27 PM
Post #18

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (arpeggiodreams @ Jun 20 2004, 02:06 AM)

I saw one of those when I was chilling at my brother's place of business. I had a razor blade in my pocket and was going to remove the sticker (I used to detail cars and that's one thing we had to do a lot) but the people left too soon. I wanted to go in and talk with the folks considering I am a Christian and am a believer in gay marriage.

Righteous, I remember reading something about your mom telling off those morons using the bible on your website once. (I enjoy... randomly clicking on user websites. Go figure.) That was just, splendid. to tell you the truth, I never really thought Bible Thumping could be used in a positive manner. But I was proven wrong. XD; 0wned.

Thanks but my mom deserves the credit. And another question: You actually read that crap?

--------------------

+Quote Post
#tay
post Jun 22 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #19

Ahaha, I remember I happened to catch the episode of the 700 club in which they were advertising those stickers as well. (seeing how the 700 club comes on RIGHT after Whose Line is it Anyway. Grr.) Someone made a joke about it before, as well. "When people see those stickers, they'll get all confused. 'Wha? Marriage = Unisex Bathrooms?'" ...and it's true, too. A very dull person would think that.

QUOTE (Righteous @ Jun 21 2004, 10:27 AM)
Thanks but my mom deserves the credit. And another question: You actually read that crap?

Indeed. she does.

and, You mean Brain static? unsure.gif Um, yeah. I did. But only a little bit. x.x; to tell you the truth, I have this weird facination with reading about... people's lives. In blogs and LJs and stuff. call me one of those random net stalkers. :nods:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post Jun 30 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #20

My cute little Aislinn!

Member No.: 1,123

QUOTE (#tay @ Jun 22 2004, 01:53 AM)
'Wha? Marriage = Unisex Bathrooms?'" .

lmao laugh.gif

/spam

--------------------
"I can kill catering with a thought!" - Darth Vader

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jul 1 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #21

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (#tay @ Jun 21 2004, 08:53 PM)
I remember I happened to catch the episode of the 700 club in which they were advertising those stickers as well. (seeing how the 700 club comes on RIGHT after Whose Line is it Anyway. Grr.)

What's the deal on 700 Club? I've never seen it but have heard bits and pieces about them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 1 2004, 03:48 PM
Post #22

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Righteous @ Jul 1 2004, 06:09 AM)
What's the deal on 700 Club? I've never seen it but have heard bits and pieces about them.

Horrible show. Every time I flip by, they're always talking about how wrong gay marriage is. Their reverend Pat Robertson once said the following: "Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism, and become lesbians."

No, really. He was completely serious. As was the 700 Club's Jerry Falwell when he said the following after September 11th: "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'" He also said something about the attacks on 9/11 being "God's judgement on America" for "throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked."

He did, however, later say that only the terrorists were responsible for the attacks, but he believed that the people he named above created a nation that was "removed from the principles of Christ on which it was founded," which created "an environment which possibly has caused God to lift the veil of protection."

Here the 700 Club comes on ABC Family. Here is their website.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Jul 1 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #23

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Member No.: 383

QUOTE (candice @ Jul 1 2004, 08:48 AM)
Their reverend Pat Robertson once said the following: "Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism, and become lesbians."

Oh oh oh!! I have that on a t-shirt!! (Scroll down on that page to see it, to where it says "Fear of a Female planet.") That guy cracks me up. In an angry way.

/end partial spam

--------------------
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
~T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jul 1 2004, 04:02 PM
Post #24

Vive y Deja Vivir

Like I said earlier here, there is a difference between the Bible Thump-dump-a-dee-umpers and the Christians. I don't like the 700 Club, because I think it's full of a bunch of right winged Bible huggers who would want nothing more than for me to dip my head in some holy water and make my donation to God... and the 'church' (I'm sure that's where all the money goes *wink*). I also don't like those commercials about $.60 a day to some kid in Kenya. If you can prove to me that more than $.10 goes to that poor kid, then so be it, but if I really wanted to give them money I'll send them $20 in a sealed envelope. I don't trust those big organization Christian fund people, it just doesn't feel wholesome to me.

But, good people, I'm not here to bash large Christian organizations. I'm actually here to say that I've sat down on Sundays and turned on the tube with the sole intention of watching those sermons they give. There's a lot of insight in the Bible, there's a lot of good philosphy that the big Chrisitian organizations skip through. I have more passion for the Bible in my pinkie than the whole of the 700 Club. It all makes a lot of sense when you actually listen to someone who lives and breathes that stuff. Not all Christians are full of it, some have a lot to say, some are actually full of light and inspiration. You just gotta find the right ones. I'd trust those people to get my $.60 a day to Abdul, which is sad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jul 1 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #25

Shut up, noob!

Okay, I will now mildly lose my temper.

What in the living Goddamn hell is this? This is the kind of crap that makes my life as a Christian a buttload of a hell of a lot harder to live. I'm sorry. Maybe I should be branded and burned at the stake for believing that feminism, when done properly at least, isn't a tool of Satan (which, interestingly and appropriately enough, comes from a Hebrew word meaning "accuser") used to make women "leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism, and become lesbians." Whose ass was that pulled out of? Since when is misogyny holy? What the hell does whitchcraft have to so with capitalism? Is it my imagination or are there feminists out there who don't get abortions and are married to nice guys?

Of course they're trying to secularize America. There are certain things in which any kind of Christian institution (not necessarily Christians or even Christianity) just aren't supposed to be. If anything, it was the "God wants us to do this" mentality that caused September 11th. People wonder why other countries hate the states. Maybe it's because our joke of a President says that it's God's will, the same god I worship, to kill millions of rightfully angry people. And if they want to talk about God's WIll being mocked, let us look at the "Christian right" from about the silent majority perios foreward. My God. No wonder people hate us. And it's a big kick to my balls because I have to be the one explaining what the deal is and how it's not really supposed to be this way. If any sinners have lifted this nonexistant veil of protection it was the neo-Pharisees and neo-Saggusees that have gone outside the will of God by hiding behind their religion and getting their little Jesus fix instead of actually showing love to others.

Oh, and ARC, they have a passion for the Bible all right. They like to use it to make themselves look like kings and to judge others when they should be looking at it and realizing how far from the Lord they and everyone else are and trying to make a humble change in their lives.They call this crap ministry? Pah! These bastards haven't the slightest as to what they're doing. They want to get Scriptural? Here's some scripture for those bastards:

"Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves one another has fulfilled the Law (as in the Law of God)." Romans 13:8

"And he said to them, 'Isaiah prophesized rightly about you hypocrites, as it is written: This people will honors me with their lips but their hearts are far from me.'" Mark 7:6

"'Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For with the judgement you make, you will be judges and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye but do not notice the log in your own? Or how can you day, Let me take the speck out of your eye, while the log is still in your own? You hypocrites. First take the log out of your eye and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor's.'" Mattew 7:1-5

And my favorite:
"There is no one who is righteous, not even one." Romans 3:10

They have no idea what they're doing to us on the spiritual battle front when the they're sitting back in their comfortable Christianity leaving me to explain what the god I worship and the one they claim to worship is about. Some of the best Christians I've ever met flat-out admit that they are just sinners. There is such a thing as righteousness and it's something we all try to attain (hence the name) but what they don't see is that they're just as screwed up as the rest of us, regardless of how spotless they seem.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 07:28 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!