Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hiccups, How to cure them
arpeggiodreams
post Jun 19 2004, 08:31 AM
Post #1

salad dressing for is unsightly

Group: New Members
Member No.: 755

I've had the WORST case of hiccups lately... it makes work really interesting... I'm talking to someone, and then all of a sudden, there's this random pause, and then I keep talking.

So, what's your tried and true method to cure them? What causes them?

--------------------
I am too busy with all this dust and all these branches weighing on me
Proud member of the RPA--- saving the world,one irrelevancy at a time
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 19 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #2

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

I seem to remember reading that they're throat spasms. Not sure why one's throat should spasm, or what can be done to avoid such incidences of spasming, however.

My remedy was always to drink a cup of water from the other side of the cup - that is, from the side of the rim furthest away from me. I have no idea why this works, but it does.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post Jun 19 2004, 09:22 AM
Post #3

Serpents hide behind your eyes

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 346

it a diaphram spasm... the major muscle that makes you breath..

--------------------

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Jun 19 2004, 11:37 AM
Post #4

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

Yeah, it's the diaphram muscle that causes hiccups. One way, like commie said, is drinking water, slowly. Another way is to breathe into a paper bag for a while, which is supposed to work, or anything that will help to take deep, steady breaths. You can actually stop them just by concentrating. If you take deep, steady breaths, and picture you diaphram expanding and contracting, then you can get them to stop like that.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Jun 19 2004, 08:04 PM
Post #5

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Member No.: 383

QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Jun 19 2004, 04:37 AM)
anything that will help to take deep, steady breaths. You can actually stop them just by concentrating. If you take deep, steady breaths, and picture you diaphram expanding and contracting, then you can get them to stop like that.

That's one thing I do if I don't have my other remedies available, but the deep, steady breathing doesn't always work for my hiccups.

Up until I was about 17 or 18, I used to get the hiccups regularly about 5 times a day (minimum), so I can tell you I've tried just about every weird method out there. What's become most consistent and most effective for me is eating a few spoonfuls of sugar, or taking a spoonful or two of lemon juice (that one REALLY works for me). And I don't mean lemonade or lemon soda, I'm talking about the stuff you use for cooking.

Other methods I've tried: drinking a small cup of salt water (that was so nasty that I couldn't even get it past my lips -- I hate salt), drinking a spoonful of vinegar (also very disgusting, so much so that I almost hate to say that it works), holding your breath (doesn't work), drinking a glass of soda/pop or water without taking a breath (sometimes works).

I've also tried some of the stranger methods such as jumping up and down while plugging my ears and holding my breath. blink.gif wacko.gif

--------------------
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
~T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

+Quote Post
Patient #212
post Jun 19 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #6

Miss Violence Spiderguts

Member No.: 1,030

I find it's usually easier to cure them if you can catch them early. If they've just started, I can get rid of them simply by taking a couple of sips of water and holding my breath. But if they've been going strong for a while, I lose all control. They're damn annoying, aren't they?

--------------------
With the headlights burning
We're looking up for something
Answers on the ceiling.

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Jun 20 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #7

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

My remedy was always to drink a cup of water from the other side of the cup - that is, from the side of the rim furthest away from me. I have no idea why this works, but it does.

It's because you're concentrating so hard on not spilling the water that you kinda' regulate your breathing which sorts the diaphram out and stops the hiccups.

Is true...

But now I've told you that - I can guarentee that you will never be able to cure hiccups that way again. Because now you know the secret. Try it next time and find out. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 20 2004, 08:52 AM
Post #8

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Jun 20 2004, 01:33 AM)

It's because you're concentrating so hard on not spilling the water that you kinda' regulate your breathing which sorts the diaphram out and stops the hiccups.

Is true...

But I never try not to spill the water, I do it over a sink and get water everywhere...

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Jun 20 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #9

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

every time right befor you hiccup, say hiccup. they will stop.

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Jun 20 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #10

Light On The Surface

Member No.: 91

I've always gone with the minimalist approach of simply denying that I have hiccups. I pay them no attention, take deep, slow breaths, and eventually they get bored and go and bother someone else.

Won't work for everyone, but it works for me.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jun 20 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #11

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

I actually hold my breath for a little bit, like 15 seconds or so. It works pretty well.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Jun 20 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #12

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

But I never try not to spill the water, I do it over a sink and get water everywhere

Well that buggers my idea up then. smile.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Jun 21 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #13

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Wandering up to someone who hiccups and suddenly demanding they give you their hiccups will sometimes cure the person. Might be the shocked intake of breath resets the breathing.

I find time and steady breathing works for me. If B. doesn't sneak up and suddenly demand them from me. laugh.gif
*misses B.*

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Fluffy
post Jun 21 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #14

Haibane

Member No.: 731

One of my old teachers used to know a pressure point for curing hiccups that never failed. However all I know about it is that she applied pressure somewhere near or on your wrist for a few seconds using her thumb.

--------------------
Odd Numbers = Raisins
Proudly e-married to Silver Star! This happened on January 11, 2004.
I'm DarkProtector's foob!

+Quote Post
sjbbandgeek
post Jun 21 2004, 04:33 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 618

Try humming "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" without breathing, that tends to work, but we all know the best way to cure anything is to give me five bucks.

+Quote Post
kidvicious2punk
post Jun 21 2004, 06:35 AM
Post #16

word

Member No.: 359

my friend tamee says drinking for 60 seconds straight works..

i havent had hiccups in forever(jynx jynx...)

so i havent tried anything..

but i heard taking a spoon and touching that little dangly thinggy in the back of your throat gets rid of them..

anything to direct attention away from your diaphram

--------------------
salviadivinorum.

+Quote Post
Mazling
post Jun 21 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #17

Worrying

Member No.: 1,153

Breathe in a paper bag........ I read somewhere that that's a way scientists found to stop hiccups..... It works well happy.gif

--------------------
Mazle
‡God-Like-Rabbit‡
ˆLet's pretend your a camel.ˆ
„Blue and Blonde„
•I'm a blanker•
_.·˜¯ª¯˜·._
Do the wave ^

+Quote Post
Dolty McDaft
post Jun 22 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #18

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,028

My mom tought me this one:

Roll down a grassy hill on your side. Every time your face hits the ground, take a bite of grass. Do this until you reach the bottom. (I don't understand how this works, by the way. And I don't think you can spit it out if your mouth gets full.)

--------------------
*twitch*

>(|||> The Uber-Carrot attacks!

Authors. Even the sane ones are nuts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 07:13 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!