IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pop Vs. Soda Vs. Coke, Which do you call it?
What do you call your soft drink?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 42
Guests cannot vote 
vicrawr
post Jul 5 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

So, in IRC and IMs, we often speak about what we call our soft drinks. I recently found this link and decided to make a poll.

Soft drinks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 5 2004, 07:20 PM
Post #2

Engrish Ranguage Student

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 338

Pop. Always with the pop smile.gif

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jul 5 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #3

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

How could you say pop? I think calling it pop makes you sound like a 4 year old. Me, and everyone I know, call it soda... 'cause that's what it is. Soda. The soda isle of the gorcery store, bottle of soda, "what kinda soda you got in the fridge?", etc. Technically, they're both right. It's derived from soda-pop, no?

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jul 5 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #4

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

I call it Coke, if it's Coke. Which it usually is. If it's Pepsi, I call it Pepsi. Red Bull I call Red Bull.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jul 5 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #5

Vive y Deja Vivir

Yeah, but what would you say if you asked, "What kinda *blank* do we got in the 'fridge?"

EDIT: I realize the terrible grammar of that sentence, and also find, to my horror, that I say that quite frequently unsure.gif

This post has been edited by acid_rain_child: Jul 5 2004, 07:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jul 5 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (acid_rain_child @ Jul 5 2004, 08:38 PM)
Yeah, but what would you say if you asked, "What kinda *blank* do we got in the 'fridge?"

Drinks, most likely.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jul 5 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #7

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Soda. It's never been anything else. tongue.gif Ah, the blissful days debating this in IRC rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Jul 5 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #8

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

I generally refer to it by it's name, or 'fizz'.

The 'other' responses on there are hilarious, though:

- Tubgirl Juice
- dope
- MARDOC SHALL SMITE ALL PEOPLE WHO CALL POP "SODA"!!!!!!!
- MARDOC IS A LACEPANTS AND COULDN'T SMITE HIS WAY OUT OF A WET PAPER BAG. SODA JERK.
- George W Bush is a moron!
- Ryan from Urban Toronto is a twat
- for the person who thinks that florida uses the correct name by calling it COKE because they're so civilized, just like their friends in alabama and mississippi who also call it coke, i dont think the votes from florida should count. they probably meant to vote for Soda but got confused by the unclear ballot and picked Coke accidentaly. the correct term is SODA
- the only time i use pop is when i pop a cap in someones ass for calling it pop....its soda
- Thank you, this is an extremely important topic, and a concern of mine for many years!! This survey will clear up a lot of issues. I use either one depending on who I'm talking to. Soda, for some reason, seems more formal, pop seems like a slang term from where I grew up in Indiana. I think I started using Soda when I moved to Chicago. When our family lived in Hannibal Missouri, the other kids made fun of us when we said "pop". I said, what do you call it? "Sodie-pop or sodie", they would reply. Most people I met when I lived there seemed to confuse "a's" and "i's". For example, they would say Indiani and Missoura. I never quite understood that. If I use Coke it means Coca-cola but no other soft drink. There, I just used soft drink and I didn't even realize it. I never SAY soft drink, I must just use it when I write. Keep up the good work.
- Hey Southerners. Can I offer you a Ford automobile? What kind? Oh, a Mercedes, maybe a Ferrari. To you guys they're all Fords right? Idiots.
- Dear web designer, you should have put a limit on the number of characters that can fit in this field. It would eliminate a bunch of wordy, mostly irrelevant responses. Like this one.
- Toona dan is such a hick and he always says "pop", so i must conclude that everyone who says pop are hicks. Toona's roommate is very gay also, so if your roommate says pop, then the logic suggests that you are gay.
- Hey, why don't you work on a cure for cancer or something else important.
- Ok, this is the FINAL word on this subject "Soda" is club soda, add a sweetener and it becomes a "Soft Drink", "Tonic" contains quinine, "Soda-Pop" is what northern hicks use and shorten to "Pop" which is someone's father and therefore clearly unacceptable. Colas are cola-flavored SOFT DRINKS and are in the civilized world refered to as COKE since Coca-Cola is the first, largest and most enjoyable drink ever produced. In our capitalist culture the originator gets the credit. So go Xerox some paper and put up some Sheetrock while you read this on your PC. Also, as the chart clearly indicates, the most educated and civilized parts of our country (the East and West Coasts) clearly refer to it as Coke. I grew up in south east Florida (the only civilized part of Florida as well as a bigger mixing pot than NY city or the whole of California) and we ask for Coke. What kind of coke? Hmm..I'll have a Sprite, or maybe a Pepsi (if you prefer that ilk, but you still ask for COKE first). The ONLY exception is if you want a Root Beer or and Orange Soda, in which case you ask by brand name "I would like a Sunkist." or "One A&W root beer please." This is cleary the educated way of ordering a SOFT DRINK and it will get you laid too.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Jul 5 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #9

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

Yey for different names between places!

bel's interpretation...

UK its 'pop' or 'fizzy-pop' or occasionally 'fizz' Otherwise its the name os the actual drink ie Lemonade, Tango, Cherryade etc...

USA its more likely to be 'soda' or 'soda-pop' which in the UK would get you soda-water in the pub or cream-soda or a funny look!

Most of the time all Cola drinks get called 'Coke' regardless of if its made by the Coca-Cola company or not.

I've taken to calling carbonated soft drinks 'soda' recently, mainly to annoy people, same as when I refer to my trainers as 'sneakers'

What we gonna debate next, the 'petrol v's gas' one is good, or the american spelling and pronunciation of almost everything if you really want to start a barney!

Then again I'm in Norwich in the UK where the locals virtually speak a diferent languace and we have a place called Wymondham which is pronounced wind-ham so hey, whats in a name!

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jul 5 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #10

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

hmm, either 'fizzy drink' or its brand name. I like Ginger Beer best, and Vanilla Cokeis another. I never see it any mo' but Root Beer was a favorite too.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 5 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #11

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

Soda

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Jul 5 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #12

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

This has got to be a US thing. I always call it by brand name. Otherwise it's just fizzy.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jul 5 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (beleraphon @ Jul 5 2004, 09:23 PM)
UK its 'pop' or 'fizzy-pop' or occasionally 'fizz'

Never heard any of those terms. I'm probably far too middle-class, I call them soft drinks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jul 5 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #14

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Gotta be Coke, baby. I like the double entendre, too.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jul 5 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #15

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

My gran calls it pop, I just refer to them as drinks because I don't go out of my way to drink fizzy drinks I don't specify the fizzy bit!

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jul 5 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #16

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

I say soda. I can't picture anything else.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jul 6 2004, 01:43 AM
Post #17

Vive y Deja Vivir

Never, in my entire life, have I EVER heard anyone call soda 'fizzy'. I mean, there are those little tablets you can get, that when you add them to water they make soda, they're called is Fizzies on the box.

But, I do see how most of the time people call soda 'coke', even when it's not Coke. Unless it's Dr. Pepper or something, in which case you call it Dr. Pepper. I'm thinking way too hard about this.

Petrol v. gas just has to do with which country you're from. 'Cept in Maryland, where the hicks on the eastern shore call gas 'oil' and pronounce it 'earl'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tainted_sorrow
post Jul 6 2004, 03:55 AM
Post #18

Worrying

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,095

ITS POP!...iv always called it pop...everyone i know calls it pop...wel everyone till i moved here,..there all "soda soda soda"...its pop god dangit!...heh

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Jul 6 2004, 06:30 AM
Post #19

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

In Canada, I'm pretty sure it's "pop" right across the board.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Jul 6 2004, 08:00 AM
Post #20

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

Yay! Show your English pride Commie. Vote for Coke. You Americans and you Soda.

"Yo, like do you DUDES want to go to the MALL and get some FRIES and POT-ATO CHIPS and SODA?"

Us English say:

"I'm going to ASDA to get some STUFF for the STAG NIGHT."

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Jul 6 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #21

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

Us English say:

Really? I thought we just said "I'm off to get p*ssed".

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jul 6 2004, 02:43 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Jul 6 2004, 10:20 AM)
Us English say:

Really? I thought we just said "I'm off to get p*ssed".

Some of us just sit at home and play computer games...

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 6 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #23

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Mutilation @ Jul 6 2004, 01:00 AM)
Yay! Show your English pride Commie. Vote for Coke. You Americans and you Soda.

"Yo, like do you DUDES want to go to the MALL and get some FRIES and POT-ATO CHIPS and SODA?"

Wow that sounds so American. I feel like you've nailed our personalities all to a T there. You could be American. [/sarcasim]

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Jul 6 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #24

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

If I had said "Let's get pissed" there wouldn't be anything to MAKE BIG.

And you didn't start the sarcasm tag, thus it doesn't work. It's like putting [/QUOTE] at the end of this message and hoping it works.

[/CRAP]

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jul 6 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #25

Vive y Deja Vivir

Is that really how you think we talk? *Pretends like it isn't*

If I had said "Let's get pissed" there wouldn't be anything to MAKE BIG.

Coulda made it PISSED, we just say plastered, or drunk, or f***ed up, or sh** faced, but never pissed. 90% of Americans wouldn't know what you were talking about.

And the stereotype of Americans shouldn't be at the mall stuffing our faces with FRIES and CHIPS and SODA. While a small portion of us do dry.gif it's not on top of most of our priority lists.

Unfortunately, though, I don't have much of a defense, since most of us think the stereotype for the British is everyone with white gloves sipping tea in their living rooms.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 12:24 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!