Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Lord I Suck..
Fallen1015
post Jul 18 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #1

forum duct tape enthusiast

Group: New Members
Member No.: 901

so theres this concert at my school last night.. pretty cool thing.. fundraiser for marching band.. blah blah..
my marimba band was in it, and to take up more time, we decided we would play solos.. so, i of course, said, "hey! i'll play flight of the bumblebee!" cause i've played it several times, and i wanted to play it for my school.. so i go to school at 1, and practice for about 4 or 5 hours one pretty much one song.. and i got it pretty good.. so i was excited.
gets to be the time for me to play, my dad introduces me, i go up on stage, crack my nuckles, look at the keyboard, and start to play.. the first run down the keyboard, i COMPLETELY missed half the notes. i started to play the actually tune, and i had to stop. i've never stopped while i was playing.. ever.. so i looked at the keyboard, then the audience, and im like, yeah, im gonna start over..
so i played it again.. messed up several times, but just kept playing.. but i still felt like a moron and i feel like i suck now.. its glorious.. sad.gif unsure.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post Jul 18 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #2

My cute little Aislinn!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,123

Hey... you still played even though you missed half the notes.. that took guts, and people I'm sure admired that. wink.gif

--------------------
"I can kill catering with a thought!" - Darth Vader

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Jul 18 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #3

A monster of someone elses creation...

Member No.: 873

AW! Honey, you DON'T suck!! It was probably just nerves anyway, that happens to the best and most confident of people. Besides, the people that know and care for you know you're a good musician and they probably realised that it was just one of those things - now all you need to do is cut yourself a bit of slack!! smile.gif

*hugs*

--------------------
Come freely, and of your own will, and leave behind some of the happiness that you bring with you...

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jul 19 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #4

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

Don't feel bad! People make plenty of mistakes! It can only make you stronger. Plus, as said before, you probly just got nervous. You don't suck. Mistakes don't make you suck. *hugs and hands you ice cream*

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jul 19 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #5

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

k ... Fallen1015 ... allow me to share with you my single most embarrassing moment EVER. Sorry it's so long, but I've been suffering from "Mata-itis of the Verbosity" and besides, it's a story that needs telling properly.

I play guitar. Not very well. I have a mate who plays keyboards. He's quite good at what he does, but not at a professional level. He is also a member of a club type thing called 'the international club' in this here wierdo country I live in. This club consists mostly (but not entirely) of over-60 year-old british ex-pats from the colonial days of Africa and India.

Now then. This club thing holds parties and shows and stuff, and once a year does a biggy with everybody, and puts on a musical show from the various musical chapters of the club (choir singing, 1930s sing songs, classical piano and other stuff). Now, don't get me wrong, some of the people who are in this club are (or were) professional musicians, and can get really good at their stuff. Its just not my cup of tea (by about 5 generations or so)

But you will understand my horror when my mate came round and said he wanted to do a Genesis concert for them.

However, a mate's a mate, and I'm an idiot, so I said yes.

He was to play keyboards (2 of them), and sing, with me on acoustic and spanish guitar. He also had a sequencer and drum-machine for the rest of the instruments. This was early Genesis. There were plenty of instruments.

Inicially he wanted to do a 45 minute set. They negociated him down to 3 songs, 20 minutes. That's where the good news stops.

The first track was 'Blood on the Rooftops'. It is a fully orchestrated song with a 60 second classical guitar intro. In order to time the end of my bit, and get it to coincide with the start of all the other instruments that were done by a machine (so can't change tempo and stuff) he had rigged it so that when I got to the end of my bit I lingered on 2 notes, and the drum machine goes 'tic tic tic' 3 times, counting down to when the sequencer cuts in and does its thing ... so that he and I can launch into the main body of the song, in time with the machines. And so...

Take 1:

*classical guitar bit*
*tic tic tic*
*song gets underway*
and at the end of the first chorus:
*SILENCE*

pregnant pause ... I look at him ... he looks at me ...

"woops! the machine stopped" says he, to the 300 hundred people who had paid 50 quid ($80) for their dinner ... "Ah well, never mind, lets start from the beginning"

Take 2:
*classical guitar bit*
*tic tic tic*
*song gets underway*
and at the end of the first chorus:
*SILENCE AGAIN*

pregnant pause ... I look at the floor ... he just blasts through

"OOPS! Done it again! ... ah well ... lets take it from the end of the first verse"

Take 3:

*first verse*
*first chorus*
*song continues with no stopping*
and then half way through the bridge, the sequencer decides to reset itself and goes back to the very beginning:
*tic tic tic*
*song gets underway again, with the sequencer doing the first bit whilst we're still in the bridge ...*

Now bare in mind, peeps, that I'm not one for standing up in RL in front of 300 people and making a complete dork out of myself, guitar or no guitar, so I was a 'bit' nervous to start off with ... But this particular audience were the people that hated Genesis WHEN IT CAME OUT in the late 60's ... let alone 35 years on ... They were not amused. I'm glad they didnt have any real food in front of them at this point.

Anyhow, having nothing left to loose, the second track that was just classical guitar went fine, and the last one, acoustic guitar and voice would have been fine except the highest string was juuust out of tune so I had to compensate by bending it every time I hit it. Of course, compared to that first track, this was a picnic.

And so my heart goes out to you fallen one ... but remember: this is why we have kids and stuff .. to tell these stories for the joy of the world and the next generations ... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jul 20 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #6

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

First of all, I'm sorry you're still in school. That must suck.

Secondly, I'm sorry for your misfortune.

When I was in 5th grade, everyone wanted to play trumpet (all the cool kids anyway) so instead of choosing to play clarinet like I probably should have (I was marvelous at it when we were able to sample each instrument) I chose trumpet. I wasn't very good, because I couldn't squeeze my lips close enough together to make a high C. So, the teacher put me on... baritone. Euphonium if you will. Well, I was taken away from the rest of my friends, who had all chosen trumpet, and stuck in a totally different class... the class with trombones and tubas. I was the only baritone. And the only girl. Gah, I hated that. I was this dumpy, chubby little girl with a bob cut and a baritone (an instrument that would've dwarfed any of the other girls, but not me!) at the back of the band... it was cruel, really. I could play really well, actually, better than any other tuba players, but to hell with that. I skipped out of band in 7th grade, and became the girl with the lowest voice in chorus. Thankfully, the teacher spared me and still kept me with the altos and didn't put me with the boys.

I've had my share of musical embarrassments.

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Marsyas
post Jul 20 2004, 01:00 AM
Post #7

Apparently squishy

Member No.: 763

She isn't actually IN school anymore, they just hold the concerts there. And trust me, Mary, it was awesome. The auditorium was so live that even if you completely didn't play the off beats, you wouldn't hear it for the ringing. Once you got going again, you made it look damn near effortless, though I could tell you were concentrating very hard, and I really got into that (as I've probably told you).

Trust me, Mary, you rocked. Can't wait to see you all in Newport this weekend!

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Come away! O human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand...

Quite possibly one of the most beautiful things you will ever hear

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Jul 20 2004, 08:29 AM
Post #8

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

The first rule of playing the piano is keep going. It's all about the pulse. If you did any sight reading you should know about that.

But we all mess up, and it's not that you suck, it's that you suck while your nervous.

+Quote Post
Fallen1015
post Jul 20 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #9

forum duct tape enthusiast

Member No.: 901

thanks for makin me feel better guys.. you all rock..

--------------------

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Jul 20 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #10

A monster of someone elses creation...

Member No.: 873

Hope you're feeling better now, sweetie *hugs* smile.gif

--------------------
Come freely, and of your own will, and leave behind some of the happiness that you bring with you...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 03:51 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!