Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lolo Update, If anyone cares
LoLo
post Jul 22 2004, 02:31 AM
Post #1

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I know not too many people know of my LJ or read it so I thought I would post some of what has been going on recently that has made me both excited and scared, for anyone who might care.

I've begun the process of trying to get into the Art Institute of San Fran. This is all very exciting to me because this has always been a dream of mine to do. So far I've had an initial phone interview to see if I am right for the school, have filled out my application, have had a follow up phone conversation to determine my financial aid needs (which nothing came of other than an appointment), and have scheduled an appointment for next Friday to fill out financial aid paperwork and take a tour of the school. All I really have left is to write my application essays and wait for a letter telling me whether or not I've been accepted.

I was going to wait to post anything on here until I knew for sure whether or not I had gotten in, but I just couldn't wait anymore because I am so excited.

At the beginning of the year I was content to just go to a local University to finish up my college education, but now that I have discovered that I may actually have a chance to go to a school that gives me a lot more of a chance at finding a real job when I graduate, I'm not as content to just go to this University. I'm of course not saying that this University isn't great, it is, but the degree earned from the Art Institute would be much more impressive to potential employers.

Keep your fingers crossed for me! I'll update here again if anyone seems to care or if I hear anything good back.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Jul 22 2004, 02:36 AM
Post #2

Microwave your children

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,164

Sounds like it's all rather promising, and maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit but it looks as though you've got a really good chance. Good luck with it!

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jul 22 2004, 02:58 AM
Post #3

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

GOOD LUCK LOLO!!

*crosses fingers and does superstitious good luck things*

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jul 22 2004, 03:27 AM
Post #4

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

*Crosses fingers*

I really hope for the best, Lo! Good luck. Hehe, I believe in you biggrin.gif

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
arpeggiodreams
post Jul 22 2004, 04:32 AM
Post #5

salad dressing for is unsightly

Group: New Members
Member No.: 755

Yay! I is proud!

I have faith that you'll get in; your photoshop is great (have we found pat yet?), and your sculptures are amazing.

So keep us posted, so we can shower you in lots of hugs!

--------------------
I am too busy with all this dust and all these branches weighing on me
Proud member of the RPA--- saving the world,one irrelevancy at a time

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Jul 22 2004, 05:56 AM
Post #6

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

Here's hoping that you get it. And stuff.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jul 22 2004, 10:42 AM
Post #7

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

Good luck LoLo! You'll knock 'em dead I'm sure....not literally mind....that wouldn't be good blink.gif

Seriously, good luck! biggrin.gif

I want to come and live in San Fran so you might find a small, jet lagged Pixie on your doorstep begging to be put up in your art-funded mansion in a year or two! laugh.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 22 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #8

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Oo, that would be another person that I know in SF then, cool!

All the best with the remaining bits of the application, SF is a very cool city and there's a really nice bohemian vibe to the place... Although there do seem to be a _massive_ amount more people begging on the street from when I first visted in 1999, which was a bit off-putting.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jul 22 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #9

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

Attagirl. They'd be idiots not to want you at the institute.

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post Jul 22 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #10

<3

Member No.: 806

Good luck LoLo!!! *crosses all ten fingers* biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jul 22 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #11

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

GO LOLO, GO! You can do it!

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Aug 1 2004, 02:55 AM
Post #12

Kiefer > Jason

I had my face to face interview yesterday and I wrote about it in my lj but thought I would put the same post in here for those who don't know about it and might want to know. So here it is.

I got to the AI a half an hour early because I didn't want to kill time after driving around in circles for 45 minutes looking for the parking garage for the school (which I never found so I parked somewhere else) and they were able to get me in right away. I got passed around between two different financial aid people and then after a hour and a half of filling out paperwork and looking at how much it's going to cost for me to go I finally got to meet the guy from Admissions face to face. He took me on a tour and talked to me quite a bit and made it sound to me like I'm pretty much in, I just have to wait on any final last minute things to come in. What he told me was, "You're the type of student we try to get into this school, because you're goal oriented and know what you want." That's a little redundant lol. He also told me from the first time he talked to me on the phone he knew that I had my mind set on what I wanted and I was going to get it, which is a very good thing.

Now with all of this information I need to start applying for any grants and loans available that I can find because as it is I'm going to have to come up with 3500 dollars a quarter (which lasts 11 weeks) and find a job that will cover rent when I move out. Things feel good with this and I hope that all goes well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pab
post Aug 1 2004, 03:35 AM
Post #13

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

Cool! Almost-there-congratulations lolo ... *crosses fingers on one hand cos to do it on two would be bad luck and we don't want that now oh no we don't*

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Aug 1 2004, 06:53 AM
Post #14

*claps* Glad things are definitely on the positive side! Much luck in continuing times biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Aug 2 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #15

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

yay lolo!!! im not very good in the collage dept.... so i dont have any words of wisdom to give you... but YAY LOLO!

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Aug 3 2004, 01:13 AM
Post #16

Kiefer > Jason

I knew that I probably shouldn't have posted anything because it got not only my hopes up but other people's for me and now is the time to squish them. I found out today that my mom won't co-sign for the loan I would need to get into the AI and unless something happens that makes it so that I can afford it by January I doubt I'll be able to go. I'll keep trying for scholarships and grants but it looks very doubtful that even if I do get accepted that I'll be able to go.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Aug 3 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #17

sad.gif Quite sorry to hear that, but I'll keep wishing you luck! That sounds terrible though. Do all you can, and keep going. You never know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Aug 3 2004, 01:30 AM
Post #18

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

Don't give up yet. Money is far less real than people tend to think, and there are often ways to get around it if you're determined/bonkers.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jan 1 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #19

Kiefer > Jason

I made this thread awhile back and I have gone through many ups and downs trying to get into the Art Institute and frankly I am not happy with them as a whole. I've posted about this a lot on my live journal, but not so much on here, so some may not get the full effect of how frustrating this whole thing was. Since I don't believe there is anywhere that I can really post about my frustrations with the Art Institute for the general public to read, I thought perhaps I would share my latest correspondence with them, so that those of you who come to these boards and might be thinking about going, could have my own little public service announcement about this school. Hopefully with my latest response to their latest e-mail, those of you who were not following the saga on my LJ will get an idea of this whole thing.

This is the e-mail that I got yesterday from the AI :

Laura,

Greetings! At some point you had some interest in our Graphic Design program. I know that this has been a passion of yours for quite some time, despite not having any formal training. My role is to keep in contact with any applications that have been unsuccessful. I want to make sure all of the students have the attention they need.

Have you chosen a different path? Is there anything else we can do for you to help your situation?

Please let me know if you are still interested in pursuing your dream of Graphic Design at The Art Institute!

Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

This is my response that I sent off just this morning after a couple of revisions :

In response to your e-mail wishing to know if I am still interested in attending your school, I would like to say that, no I am not. 

One of the more recent reasons that I do not wish to attend your school is that I feel very uncomfortable attending a learning establishment that feels the need to bill me for tuition for a quarter to which I was never officially accepted.  It surprised me the day that I received the bill in my mail for 1,180 dollars when, shortly before this bill, I had received a letter telling me that my application had been suspended.  This, as I said, is only one of the reasons I do not wish to attend your school.

Another reason I do not want to go to your school is that there is absolutely no way I can afford to go.  I know that this is a private college and I knew that it would be expensive when I decided to apply to go there; but I had this idea that the financial aid department might be helpful in aiding me to find the resources to be able to attend.  I do understand that my circumstances are difficult when it comes to finding this financial aid, but how I was assisted also makes me very uncomfortable in going to your school.  I talked to people in the financial aid department many times trying to figure out how I might be able to go to your school.  Each time I was transferred at least five times to another person in this department, with the person to whom I had just spoken telling me that they do not work for financial aid so I would need to talk to someone else.  Eventually this cycle would end because the person who I really needed to talk to was not in the office at that time and would contact me later.  When later would roll around and I would get to talk to the person in the financial aid department that I was supposed to talk to, this vicious cycle of being transferred from one individual to the next would start over again.  It lead me to wonder if anyone in your financial aid department actually works for the financial aid department.

Again another reason for my not wishing to attend your educational establishment is that people could not seem to figure out exactly what it was I needed to submit to complete my application.  When I started the submission process, I was told that I didnít need to include my high school transcript because of the amount of college that I have completed.  Later in the process, I was told that my application wasnít completed because I still needed to submit my high school transcript.  I would explain why it was that I hadnít submitted my transcript and I would be told that I didnít need to submit my transcript.  I would then get a call later on saying again that my application wasnít completed because I hadnít submitted my high school transcript.  I would then again explain why I had not submitted it yet.  I would offer to send it off, but then be told that I didnít need to send my high school transcript.  This was yet another vicious cycle to go through.

Along with all of these other reasons I was called many times by individuals from your school who wanted me to pay the 100 dollar fee to lock in tuition rates so I wouldnít have to pay a higher tuition rate if I did come to your school.  I found it very hard to bring myself to pay this 100 dollar fee to lock in a tuition rate when I couldnít seem to find a way to pay to go to this school and got very little help finding a resolution to this problem.

As time went on and I spent more and more time trying to figure out how I could make it possible to go to your school, I felt more and more uncomfortable with my decision at wanting to attend your school.  Iím sorry to say that the excitement that I felt, when the prospect of going to the Art Institute came my way, changed to nervousness and a feeling like it was a sham simply to get my money. 

When I came to do my tour of the institute, I was told that I had a determination most people seemed to not have and that they could see me graduating.  I will say that I do have a determination that most people do not have and I will become a graphic designer; however I will not be attending your school to accomplish this goal.  I will go somewhere that I feel is a more dependable institution.

Thank you for your time,

--------------------

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jan 1 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #20

That is an enormous decision that must have been hard to make. Congratulations and good luck. I'm sure you'll find another establishment to go to that you will enjoy. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jan 1 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #21

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

*hugs* I really think you'll make a decision that will enable you to be happy and sucessful!

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
saucy_tara
post Jan 1 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #22

Destructogirl...

Member No.: 124

Yeah good luck honey, I think you have made the right choice there. I feel like taking a sharp pointy stick to the AI and putting it where the sun doesn't shine... evil.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Jan 3 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #23

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

Cheers, Lo! Remember to rub cand's breasts for luck, and sorry I took so long in reading and replying to this thread! /me snugs

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 5 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #24

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

( o )( o ) ( . )( . ) (o)(o) ( @ )( @ )

For good luck! wink.gif biggrin.gif

I hope you get in! They'd be nuts to pass you by!

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Jan 5 2005, 04:06 AM
Post #25

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

QUOTE (syuu @ Jan 3 2005, 04:11 PM)
Cheers, Lo! Remember to rub cand's breasts for luck, and sorry I took so long in reading and replying to this thread! /me snugs

Ummm, about your Sig... Isn't 'Felching' the habit of inserting hamsters into one's rectum, for sexual pleasure? blink.gif

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 01:59 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!