IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Make New Skins For The Forum Competition!
Mata
post Jul 26 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hi all,

Very soon I'll be putting a new site design into action, you can see what it's going to look like here:

http://www.matazone.co.uk/theothersidenew.html

These forums however are still using the default skin templates.

I really do like the general colour scheme, the light backgrounds and dark text are nice and easy to read, but I would like the place to look a little bit more custom-made.

Unfortunately I've really not got the time to fiddle around with this as well as everything else, so I wondered if any of you might fancy a go?

Probably the best direction to point you in would be here

http://forums.invisionpower.com/

where a search for skins will probably let you know everything you need to to get started.

If lots of people do this then I'll make the best ones available to people so that they can choose the one they like the most.

I've not worked out a prize yet, but it will most likely be either something from my shop or an exclusive mystery thingy that could be rather funky... Mysterious, eh?

Anyway, best of luck, and may the best wo/man-with-time-on-their-hands win biggrin.gif

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jul 26 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 606

meh... I liked the original other side! tongue.gif

I might try making a skin sometime... its probably way too complicated for me but never mind! I dont have anything better to do... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 26 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #3

The original one was very plain indeed, and it was becoming extremely unwieldy. I think it was also quite off-putting for people. If they had watched one animation and then flicked to that page to be confronted by a huge list of characters they hadn't heard of I imagine a lot of people didn't bother going a lot further. Also the list was big when I swapped away from that original design, by now it would be several page-scrolls long, which is just too big.

The new design will keep everything nice and easy to access with any animation page being a maximum of three clicks away from any other one. With luck I'll finish it before I go to bed tonight so tomorrow it should be online.

The new design is also entirely driven by a thing called CSS and it's really got some very funky properties that it'll be easier to demonstrate when it's up and running.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jul 26 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #4

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

I know this question probably belongs elsewhere on the forums, but I figure I may as well ask it here. One of the main reasons I kept coming to your site was the story, Falling (I don't know if it should be underlined, 'ed or "ed, so I'll let it be), but now that I go back to read it again, I find it's all... repeat-y. Like, the sentences are repeated a bunch of times, and I was just wondering if that was an error or if that was intentional. I don't think it was intentional, as I don't remember the sentences repeating the first time I read it. Anyway, it's been like that for ages. Maybe fix it when you redesign?

Okay, I don't even know enough about computers to know what you're asking us to do... so ignore me.

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jul 26 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #5

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

The new design for The Other Side looks stellar. Keep up the good work, brodie-o.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jul 27 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #6

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

The new design is also entirely driven by a thing called CSS

The only thing I know how to do other than a bit of HTML...

And yes, CSS is extremely cool, and there are a lot of options with it! Yay!

Anyway I like the new design, every time I went to an animation and then hit the "back" button, I had to click on the link again to see the animations again (i.e. watch a Snaff animation, hit back, I have to click on the "Mr. Snaffleburger" tab again before I can see another animation) happy.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 27 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #7

The Falling story is on the list of things that need to be sorted. That should be better again soon.

I think a lot on my site got killed in a virus attack a few month's ago but I wasn't aware of just how much damage was done until now. It could take a little while to be fully fixed, but hopefully a lot will be done very soon indeed.

Until the next idiot sharing my server decides to install a bit of malicious code that eats all the hosted pages on there, of course...

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Jul 27 2004, 01:11 AM
Post #8

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

Well, Mata... I'm going to be

Nevermind bad idea dry.gif

I'd be glad to make a skin of some sort... If I had the time to learn how sad.gif

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 27 2004, 11:44 AM
Post #9

Time certainly is a problem for me at the moment as well. I got the new site design up and running at 4:30 this morning.

It's now rather funky. When you are watching an animation you can adjust the page to any size and the animation stays in the same place, but the bottom of the link menu will slide behind the animation rather than obscuring it. 'Tis rather groovy I reckon.

I've also rationalised the whole site structure, which means that everything has been moved all over the place, so that means that most likely there are broken links all over the place. If you find any, please let me know. I've already had to do one patch up job today when it turned out that the links at the end of the animations weren't going back to the main page. Oops!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 27 2004, 04:49 PM
Post #10

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

The current one's a bit too light imho, but as long as its anything but black, I don't mind.

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jul 27 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #11

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

I hate to be the party pooper, but somebody has to touch on the subject of how easy/difficult it could be to do a skin for these boards. Do you want people to come up with a touched-up pic of the forums or do you want the full skin? Because the first option is easy enough if people can work the tools and would then require implementing which is 'feasable', but a real skin for these forums would require a series of technical steps that I am just NOT GOING to mention here without provocation, because it would put people off! I'd love to give it a bash but then I already have the forum installed an running on my machine. This is a CONSIDERABLE advantage. Even then, it's a big job...

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 27 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #12

Fair enough. Being absoutely honest I really haven't looked too closely into how tricky it will be, I just know that it's possible.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Jul 27 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #13

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

Hey, if you ever decide this is going to be a DBZ forum then will, I have one I got from a friend a while ago.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 28 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #14

Strangely, I suspect I won't be turning this into a DBZ forum anytime soon!

After some digging by Pab, it looks very likely that this is actually a really difficult task, so I'll just have a root around in bins to see if I can find a likely looking second-hand skin that I can cusotmise a little.

The mysterious prize can wait for another day.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Jul 28 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #15

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

How about being made a mod or something. Or maybe the dojo has to tear down it's sign in defeat in the Mugen Tenshin tournament!

Anyway, I think I will make one out of boredom, and try and get the legendary wooden spoon.

P.S Check out Idiotheque, made by me (kinda)

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jul 28 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #16

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

Be realistic. We have enough mods as it is.

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 28 2004, 07:06 PM
Post #17

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Well...Liz (elf) does skins. I don't think she'll be able to make one, since she has limited time online...but she might know someone who can. She uses Invision Boards as well...and her boards have 9 skins. Here is her site. I used to post on there, but haven't in forever. I'd approach one of the others who make skins myself for you....but I don't know any of them biggrin.gif I'll ask Liz if she knows anyone who would be interested....it's worth a shot, I guess.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Hyperion
post Jul 28 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #18

samazon

Member No.: 234

*jumps around* I can do skins, sort of! I did the one for Kinkwarts X9 by myself, with CSS and the original coding by some Felix dude. It's very simplistic, though. I can take the coding from that and fiddle with it some, and give you a couple color schemes? Nothing terribly complicated, but I can do SOME stuff.

*joygasm* I love CSS. Livejournals are easier, though. Give me a few days and I'll have some colors scemes done. ATM, I hafta go feed my brother.

But yeah. I have nothing better to do. And it'll be sort of an apology for letting the Quotes site go all t' hell... I don't have the program I used to do that, either, which is sad. Trellix was a comfortable sort of thing to build with. ANYWAY. Yeah, I'll see what I can do. wub.gif

EDIT: Alright. I can recode some style sheets for you, and e-mail/PM them to you (Mata). I can probably do about five within the next three days, and you can take a look. I will try some color combinations, can't promise that they'll be gorgeous or anything, but I'll try. If I e-mail, they'll be attatchments (on Notepad) from writer_saa@hotmail.com. I can't, though, do any of the image things, as you have to upload those; someone with access to the admin CP has to do that. happy.gif

--------------------
I saw you, Walt Whitman, childless, lonely old grubber, poking among the meats in the refrigerator and eyeing the grocery boys. I heard you asking questions of each: Who killed the pork chops? What price bananas? Are you my Angel? Ginsberg

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jul 28 2004, 08:03 PM
Post #19

Well I played around with a skin today just changing colours around in the css bit .. I dont think I'm gonna bother changing the images cos I suck at that sad.gif

I'm trying to copy the style of the new page/shop more or less and it looks pretty ok except for the title bits that are normally blue (I dunno what colour to make them) the rest of its a kinda dark blueishgrey (like the background of the new main page) on a black background.

I found this which helped a bit, and downloaded the invision board onto my computer with this
(it has the forum already with it but its an older version) which seems to be working...

damnit, I'm too competitive..

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jul 28 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 28 2004, 01:58 AM)
The mysterious prize can wait for another day.

ohmy.gif
*is curious*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hyperion
post Jul 28 2004, 08:17 PM
Post #21

samazon

Member No.: 234

On a completely random note, Stills & Nash (etc) is really good to listen to while coding. Keeps people from screaming and kicking at computer screens. biggrin.gif

Oh. And Inv. Board is trying to kick my ass, so I'll be testing the codes on the forum I linked to in the above post. So yeah. It's going to look kind of funny if you visit it. happy.gif

--------------------
I saw you, Walt Whitman, childless, lonely old grubber, poking among the meats in the refrigerator and eyeing the grocery boys. I heard you asking questions of each: Who killed the pork chops? What price bananas? Are you my Angel? Ginsberg

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jul 28 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #22

Well, if Liz can do it, others can too ... And all this CSS talk is making me wanna give it a bash ... So with all these candidates, you might have to come up with some mystery prize yet ....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 29 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #23

Crazymat (and others), I'd like to have a default skin that remains the background quite pale in the main text areas. Black bg with white lettering is just too much of a cliché, and I'm not really certain that it's too to read large chunks of text that way either.

This is a way of saying that the winning design (since it does sound like there may well be a few entries, yay!) will put readability above integration with the style of the rest of my site.

However... Any skin that is made that works nicely I'd be happy to include as an alternative for people to select in their personal options, so if people want to have a black BG and white letters then they can!

Another style note; if you are doing a black bg skin, I usually put text in light grey rather than white, because I find this easier on the eyes.

Oo, I'm rather excited that people are finding ways to do this!

I know what the mystery prize will be if it ever turns up at my house, I've been waiting for it for ages...

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Jul 29 2004, 08:50 AM
Post #24

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 29 2004, 02:05 AM)
I know what the mystery prize will be if it ever turns up at my house, I've been waiting for it for ages...

Now I know what it is. It's me when I'm not being a babbling loon! You'll be waiting a long time...

A quick note on setting up skins: It's probably best if you make them for version 1.3 of the board software, as I really should get around to updating it at some point.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jul 29 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #25

Oh hell-fire please don't ... Oh okay then ... Do what you will, but I think the latest version is 2.0 and if skins aren't backwards compatible, or if there is a noticeable change in gif sizes and things then the whole thing could get messy with regards to these things ... Maybe if you update the forum first and THEN we do a competition where the prize is Mr Fuzzy pre-installed with one years beer-money then we could brng this shabang down to a respectable level ...

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 01:40 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!