> A Request About Strong Language
Mata
post Aug 3 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hi all,

Over the past couple of months it's become more frequent that people have been using sexually-strong wording, such as bitch, slut, and whore. It's also become increasingly common that people are using more mild swear words such as shit.

While sometimes this is justified, I don't want it to become the normal pattern that this kind of language is regularly used when you're annoyed with someone/something. I know this comes across as very prudish, but I figure if I point it out now then it'll be more in people's minds should they be about to say such things in the future.

A compromise is to put in asterisks in place of letters, e.g. s**t, I know it's not much of a disguise, but it really is the thought that counts. Preferrably just choose a different word, e.g. arse, or cow.

While I expect there are pre-teenagers that can teach squadies to swear, I'm still not comfortable with suggesting that this is an acceptable thing to do. So, keep a check on your language unless the situation really does justify it please.

Thanks,

Mata

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cait
post Aug 3 2004, 03:52 AM
Post #2

Social Introvert, Sporatic Poster

Group: New Members
Member No.: 747

FASCIST!! laugh.gif

hehe, not really. I remember when I came here first and I swore >.< I was a bad bad kid back then... I can change! (I think) Might be doing it without realizing it. Thanks for the reminder. ^.^

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Aug 3 2004, 04:12 AM
Post #3

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

Kudoes on the thread. This is better than going after everybody individually. Saves time, effort and energy.

I too have noticed this. Though I'm an avid swearer, I kind of wince when I see "shit" (which still can't be said on American network TV) here on the board. I'm a big fan of the astricks idea. I use it often myself. tongue.gif

This is a bit of a stretch, but could you post a "What You Can Say, What You Can't Say and What I'd Rather You Not Say Unless Situation Allows" thread?

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Aug 3 2004, 08:03 AM
Post #4

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

QUOTE (Righteous @ Aug 2 2004, 11:12 PM)
Though I'm an avid swearer, I kind of wince when I see "shit" (which still can't be said on American network TV) here on the board. I'm a big fan of the astricks idea. I use it often myself. tongue.gif

Obviously not as big of a fan of asterisks as you claim to be, are ya, Righteous?

ANYWAY, we don't really need a "What You Can And Can't Say" thread, simply because it is, for the most part, common sense. But since you asked, here's what it mostly boils down to, for future reference:

Gratuitous cursing, such as "That f**king rocks!" or "my big@ss truck", are worthless, as a socially-acceptable adjective could be substituted for the curse-word without any loss of meaning. This kind of cussing is generally prohibited here at Matazone.

Calling an abusive ex-boyfriend a "jackass", however, is perfectly understandable because the word carries more serious and unique connotation than most of its synonyms and makes sense considering its circumstances. This type of cussing is generally allowed (encouraged? laugh.gif ) here on the forums.

Obviously there is some debate about what is a bad word, considering the cultural divide, but as I've always understood it, words like "damn" are usually okay, words like "sh*t" or "c*nt" are usually not okay, sans asterisks. And, as many have said before, there are plenty of ways to get one's opinion across without resorting to foul language - see Jonman's old "Verbal Abuse" thread for creative inspiration.

Hope this helps, all.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Aug 3 2004, 04:15 PM
Post #5

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Aug 3 2004, 04:03 AM)
QUOTE (Righteous @ Aug 2 2004, 11:12 PM)
Though I'm an avid swearer, I kind of wince when I see "shit" (which still can't be said on American network TV) here on the board. I'm a big fan of the astricks idea. I use it often myself. tongue.gif

Obviously not as big of a fan of asterisks as you claim to be, are ya, Righteous?

I was quoting. I don't whince when I see "sh*t" or "s**t" or "s***" typed out now do I?

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Aug 3 2004, 04:45 PM
Post #6

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (Righteous @ Aug 3 2004, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Aug 3 2004, 04:03 AM)

I was quoting. I don't whince when I see "sh*t" or "s**t" or "s***" typed out now do I?

... It was a joke. Sarcasm. Lighten up. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Aug 3 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #7

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I'm guilty of using the equivilant of the word arse without the r, and the e, and with an extra s. I think most of the time I blot it out though or at the very least try to use arse.

Anyways, apologies if I am guilty of foul language. I'll try to make not of my posts and make changes if I find myself using the ever-so-popular four-letter-words.

Thanks mate for the thread laugh.gif

People really shouldn't sweare anyways, it makes them sound less intelligent.

Calling an abusive ex-boyfriend a "jackass", however, is perfectly understandable because the word carries more serious and unique connotation than most of its synonyms and makes sense considering its circumstances. This type of cussing is generally allowed (encouraged?  ) here on the forums

Here here! happy.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Gothymothy girl
post Aug 3 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #8

Bleeg?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,021

Agreed, agreed.

I know for a fact that younger kids come here, so I try to lay off (unless I'm über-steamed about something serious, or if I'm scared). If I slip, I try to correct my post and stuff. I don't think even disguising your words is a good idea. Maybe, if we can help it, we could just avoid using the words altogether. smile.gif

Then again, knowing the nature of some people on this forum, that might not work.

--------------------
>(|||> Pround owner of the Uber-carrot! Ph34r it! Come closer. . . so I can slap the sh*t out of you! . . . do I LOOK like a friggin people person? Bumper stickers are so lame. . . Bumper STICKS are where it's at! You should duct tape a stick to your bumper and be like me!
. . . I'm hearing voices but all they do is complain. . .
What if I had a mustard-drenched cucumber tied to my leg and I did not want my pants to get dirty? Ya better checkety-check yourself before ya wreckety-wreck yourself! Once you finally create something original, someone comes along and steals it. . . not to say that's a BAD thing. . .

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Aug 3 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #9

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

Were I a Prescriptivist, I'd point out that an "ass" is a donkey, and thus not swearing. Fortunately, I'm an Interpretivist, and you're spared pedantry.

As a mod I usually let "sh*t", even without the asterisk, pass without comment so long as it's used sparingly and I think it's justified. Anything stronger, and I wield my Editing Scalpel, along with an irritating little reprimand at the bottom of your post in red smile.gif

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
markslut
post Aug 3 2004, 08:52 PM
Post #10

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 909

Is my name permitted?

--------------------
The combined Nurse and Geisha of ISH!
IPB Image
Your Corset is Your Armour - Lace it Tightly - Breathing is Unimportant

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Aug 3 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #11

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

Don't worry, Mark, Mata'd've told you if it wasn't.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 3 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #12

I did wonder for a fair while about that actually. In the end I came to the conclusion that since you were using it in a tongue-in-cheek way and it was clearly about yourself (rather than aimed at anyone else where misunderstanding could occur) that I figured I'd let it slip.

However, your avatar at the moment is deciding non-dialup friendly, it's over 170k for a teeny tiny little image, so people accessing the boards on slower modems will have to wait ages for it to fully load. It's a bit of a shame really, because it really is very pretty!
EDIT: Thanks for changing it smile.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Aug 4 2004, 08:07 PM
Post #13

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (spiffilicious05 @ Aug 3 2004, 08:59 PM)
I'm guilty of using the equivilant of the word arse without the r, and the e, and with an extra s.  I think most of the time I blot it out though or at the very least try to use arse.

I know that Commie said something about this but surely arse is more offencive than ass?

An ass being a donkey...I see nothing wrong with donkeys ph34r.gif

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 4 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #14

Personally I've got no problem with the word 'arse' or 'ass'. Of course, if people are trying to offend others by calling them names then I will have a problem with it. As with most things, it's all down to common sense, which so far has generally served this forum very well.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Aug 4 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #15

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 4 2004, 11:31 PM)
If people are trying to offend others by calling them names then I will have a problem with it. As with most things, it's all down to common sense, which so far has generally served this forum very well.

Absolutely. You big smelly poo.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 4 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #16

Right! That's it! You're barred! biggrin.gif

Now, where did I hide teh uplaod codez?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Aug 4 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #17

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

I have all teh uplaod codez. That's why I could get to your shop admin yesterday when you couldn't. Nyer nyer!

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Sep 3 2004, 02:17 AM
Post #18

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

@#$%* bump. biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
SPEAKERfortheLOS...
post Sep 3 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #19

Transdimensional Traveler

Member No.: 1,244

This reminds me of a George Carlin speel of "The 7 words that you can't say on TV" That should apply here too...

--------------------
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though offtimes better than master of one.

Carpe Noctem, pro cras nos necemus
Carpe Diem, pro hodie nos mutiamo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 12:48 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!