IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm A Cheeky Git!, and I accept major credit cards...
Jonman
post Aug 5 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Hello.

In my latest attempt to win the award for cheekiest forumite in the world, I'm appealing any and all of you to give me some money.

Actually, that's not strictly true. I'm trying to get you to give money to charity. Here's the scoop...

I'm doing a sponsored bike ride, to raise money for the British Heart Foundation. I had a heart problem when I was younger, and it was fixed by open heart surgery when I was a teenager. I'm hunky-dory now, which is nice, but clearly, it's a subject that's "close to my heart". tongue.gif

The ride is 76 miles, and runs from Oxford to Cambridge. While that might not be a lot to some of you sporty types, I've spent the best part of the last year sitting on my bum, smoking and playing videogames. Admittedly, I could probably break bricks with my thumbs (or lungs for that matter), but that's not much use on a bike. As a result, it's going to be a significant challenge. I've started a training regime, and at the moment, the 15 mile rides I'm doing of an evening are pretty shatterring - I have a lot of work to do before the 3rd of October if I'm going to make it.

Anyway, don't feel obliged whatsoever, and American folk should note that it's a British charity (I have to admit, I'd think twice before sponsoring one of you lot for some US charity there), but should any of you want to sponsor me, it will go to a good cause, and thanks to your friend and mine, the internet, you can do it from the comfort of your PC.

My Sponsorship Page

Wish me luck (and insanely stong thighs)!

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Aug 5 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Vive y Deja Vivir

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 672

Riding 76 miles? Wooooah. I tried to run around the track at school for gym class(a little over 1/4 mile) and I had to stop. Twice. Wheezing and cursing the fact that I didn't have a cigarette.

But knowing that about ME, a little girl who's supposed to be in her physical and athletic prime, all the more power to you! I really, really hope you can stick to it and do well.

GOOD LUCK!

EDIT: Sadly, as I AM that little teenage girl, I have no money. Absolutely none at all. I went to a vending machine the other day and took out my purse because earlier I had heard some jangling of coins. I had 12 pennies. But 12 pennies can buy me 12 good-luck-wishes at the fountain, so I guess that's just what I'm gonna have to do happy.gif

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Aug 5 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #3

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

The ride is 76 miles, and runs from Oxford to Cambridge. While that might not be a lot to some of you sporty types, I've spent the best part of the last year sitting on my bum, smoking and playing videogames.

I'd be impressed if there was a hill involved somewhere on that ride, but there is'nt. I may cough up some cash, but i would need to see photos of you after the ride, i can always do with a good laugh. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Aug 5 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #4

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (Spacehappy @ Aug 5 2004, 06:04 AM)
I'd be impressed if there was a hill involved somewhere on that ride, but there is'nt. I may cough up some cash, but i would need to see photos of you after the ride, i can always do with a good laugh.  tongue.gif

A hill? I'm stupid, not suicidal!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Aug 5 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Matazone acolyte

Ok i paid up now i want to see photo's of you after the race. I've never seen someone given oxygen straight after. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Aug 5 2004, 01:46 PM
Post #6

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (Spacehappy @ Aug 5 2004, 06:33 AM)
Ok i paid up now i want to see photo's of you after the race. I've never seen someone given oxygen straight after.  wink.gif

There's a first time for everything, dear boy. Bet you've never seen a leg transplant either.

"Aim for the stars, and you can only hit the ceiling."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Aug 26 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #7

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

How did the race go? Did you raise a fair bit of cash for the charity in question?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Aug 27 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #8

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I wish I could contribute, or could have anyways - but I have no money of my own sad.gif sorry jonman

but I think that what you did is really cool! laugh.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Aug 27 2004, 09:16 AM
Post #9

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Firstly, it's not a race. Although I will be pushing myself along at a fair clip, the emphasis is on completing the distance. Personally, I'm aiming to finish in under 4 and a half hours. Time will tell how realistic that is.

Secondly, it's not until October, so it hasn't gone yet. Training's going well though - I'm doing 35-40 miles of an evening once or twice a week. It's amazing how much progress I've made in the month and a bit since I started getting back on the bike. I've pretty much more than doubled the distance I can go, and I'm whizzing up the hills much faster and easier now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Aug 27 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #10

Matazone acolyte

The only hill on the trip will be a mole hill, doubt you would have any problems there. wink.gif

+Quote Post
TehRoxxorCOD
post Aug 27 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #11

Inside Your Mind

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,251

this is a little non sequiter but I went 50 miles once...

I would sponsor you except that I would have no way to get you the money except mailing it, and I would have to use the money on postage so all you'd get is a little note card saying "Them's the breaks bub"

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 07:33 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!