Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keep A Check On Your Avatars
Mata
post Aug 7 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Okay, it's another 'be good' message. Sorry!

I've just had to remove a user's avatar because they were linking directly to the site that they found it on and the site owner had complained about the unfair use of their bandwidth without permission. When I checked, the picture itself was also around 600 pixels wide, six times the size that it needs to be for this board.

I know that the person who was doing this is not alone by any means, so the message is this:

Please host your avatars either on your own site or that of a friend (if you have a site and are happy to host people's avatars then please mention this in a reply)

Please resize your avatars so that they are in the proper dimensions for this board, ie. a maximum of 100x100 pixels.

Resizing saves on people with slow connections having to wait ages for your picture to download. Ideally your avatar image should not take up more than around 40k or 50k for a moving image or a max of 15k for a still image. Doing this makes sure that the boards load nice and fast making the whole thing a lot nicer for everyone smile.gif

Cheers,

Mata

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 7 2004, 11:11 AM
Post #2

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 197

I used tp do hosting for people, but since i lost my webspace with ntl i can't do it so easily, still, if you want an image resized properly (because its hard if you don't know how) then give a shout to me (or most people, i know we're all clever bunnies here) but yeah, anyway, just trying to help out biggrin.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Aug 7 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #3

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

You can get a program which allows you to serve off your own pc. It means that while you're offline others can't see it, but it does mean that you dont have to link.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Aug 7 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

I think a lot of us use this already but, www.webpost.net is a great place to host your own avatar. It's free and easy to use, plus I believe it has unlimitted bandwidth.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Aug 7 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #5

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Oy, btw, may I use your image as my avatar Mata? biggrin.gif It's just the size it needs to be and it's linked from my boomspeed account...

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 7 2004, 03:10 PM
Post #6

Which image do you mean? The one I've got right now? Well... I guess you can use it on a different forum if you want... I've always wondered who those random people are in avatars and now I might be one of them. How bizarre.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Pab
post Aug 7 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #7

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooo ... I think she means the av she has now, which is hosted on her boomspeed account... Ie: the bat .. the one from the 'use these as avatars' section of your site ... The question looks to be one of copyright ... not hosting ...

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 7 2004, 03:26 PM
Post #8

Oh yes, if that's what she means then yes, by all means go ahead and use that elsewhere, on the proviso that at some place on that forum you mention that you got the av from this site. That's all part of the conditions of picking up the av's from that page in the first place and I figure it's not too much to ask (it's also a nice way to get a higher ranking on Google smile.gif).

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Aug 7 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #9

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Thanks. tongue.gif The suggestion of a picture of Mata as an avatar for me is even cooler wink.gif And I'll make sure. It's clever that when I clicked to save to my own drive for the picture, you had the name set with the copyright. Good idea!

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Aug 7 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #10

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Aug 7 2004, 03:11 AM)
still, if you want an image resized properly (because its hard if you don't know how) then give a shout to me (or most people, i know we're all clever bunnies here) but yeah, anyway, just trying to help out biggrin.gif

Yup. I can resize images too. And I will resize aaanyone's because...well..it kind of irritates me when they are big images and so the board auto-resizes them. Not because of my connection...just because they look so horrible when they're resized by the board. I always get an urge to take the image and resize it properly. Is that odd?

Although...isn't the board set to where the maximum size is 102 x 116, not 100 x 100? It used to be, anyway... *goes to check*

*edit*...yuuup. That's the maximum size as of now. That may seem an arbitrary number to the rest of you, but it's the size that avs used to be in Excite's Virtual Places....so well, just me and Lo really have a bunch of avs that size. laugh.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Aug 8 2004, 01:42 AM
Post #11

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (candice @ Aug 7 2004, 08:23 AM)
*edit*...yuuup.  That's the maximum size as of now.  That may seem an arbitrary number to the rest of you, but it's the size that avs used to be in Excite's Virtual Places....so well, just me and Lo really have a bunch of avs that size.  laugh.gif

Yup that came about because of a convo I was having with the Fuzzmasta! I like the 102x116 not just because of excite, but because it has a nice rectangular feel as opposed to a box.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 03:13 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!