> Ahhh Moments, What are yours?
Marsyas
post Aug 8 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #1

Apparently squishy

Group: New Members
Member No.: 763

Yeah, I'm still here. tongue.gif

I've been gone for the past week teaching at a band camp just an hour south of Cincinnati in a pretty isolated, backwoods town in Kentucky. It's a small band, only 23 people on field aside from 5 girls in the color guard, and 3 people in the front pit percussion ensemble. They're all really young kids that have next to no confidence and don't really know that there are great ensembles out in the world because most of them have never really left their home town.

Anywho, my ahhh moment is in reference to this one particular kid in the band. Stereotypical geek to the core. Whiny, prepubescent voice, freckles, braces, glasses, skinny, clumsy, socially inept, and likes to talk about irrelevant personal stuff WAY too often. He's never played an instrument before and never marched - total band virgin. He just wants to march so bad because his sister did when he was younger. He got his braces two days ago on the same day he got his first saxophone. So we taught him how to put it together, make sound, finger a few notes, etc.

Even through all that, he has the best attitude of anyone in the entire band. He wants to be there, and even though he can't quite sync his body with his brain, he trys really hard to be as good as he can be. From a staff perspective, this is how we want all of them to be during rehearsal. It's awesome when even just one person is...

I of all the staff members have been the one consistently there pushing him to be better - and always subtly encouraged better social graces along the way just to help adjust him to being less socially awkward. And as frustrating as it has been at times this week, he came up to me after rehearsal on the last day, thanked me and gave me a huge hug.

And at that moment it was just like, "Ahhh....this is why I want to teach. This is it."

So now that I've shared my nice little ahhhh moment, what are yours? What have been the times when you've done something or had something happen to you where all you could do was stand back for a second and go ahhh?

--------------------
Come away! O human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand...

Quite possibly one of the most beautiful things you will ever hear
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post Aug 8 2004, 03:00 AM
Post #2

<3

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 806

Wow that's really great ^-^

One of my moments....

There was a period of time where my sister and I were constantly at each other's throats, and were all 'grr don't touch my stuff!' Well, I was sitting on the couch and hugging my favorite big pillow when she asked me if she could have it to sit on - she wanted to sit on the floor and read. I said 'No!' and she just sat down without saying anything, and then I found myself tossing her the pillow. She took it and didn't say anything, and so I just kept on watching tv while she read. After a while I got bored and decided to go to my room to read, and I turned off the tv. She got up and hugged me. Now for those of you who know my sister, you know that she NEVER hugs ANYONE. So I was like "Okay...." She said to me "Thank you. It may not seem like much to you but it meant a lot to me." (she was referring to the fact that I gave her the pillow instead of keeping it for myself.) That left me with a smile on my face.

It goes to show one that it's the small things in life that matter the most. happy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
tptcow
post Aug 8 2004, 03:50 AM
Post #3

Savior on the Blood Church St. Petersburg, Russia

Member No.: 978

Well for the moment I can only think of one and of course it was during concert band season. It was in February of my senior of high school year that I went to the Morehead State University Band Clinic. I was fourth in my section and all that good stuff, but most of the people were mixed into four performing groups for some unknown reason. The band I was in didn't sound too great, although the room wasn't too great of a room to play in either, and was limited in its playing ability. So during a break a couple of the other EHS band members who were in that band got together and played Frank Ticheli's Amazing Grace. It was only another trumpet, a tuba, and me. I don't think we had been playing this song for a very long time. We started to play at my solo because afterwards is where most of the brass comes in. There were about ten to fifteen people in the room doing their own thing. After a few seconds of playing I cannot describe the emotion the three of us felt. Everyone in the room was watching and as soon as we were finished playing the room fell totally silent.

--------------------
Western Kentucky University
Facebook
Xanga
Formerly: Trumpetperson

+Quote Post
Marsyas
post Aug 8 2004, 04:14 AM
Post #4

Apparently squishy

Member No.: 763

Awww, DOH, that made me smile. It truly is all about the small things....happy.gif

And hey, you were at MSU with me then...you weren't in the Crager room across campus, were you? That room sucks acoustically no matter how you slice it. I was in the top band, so we were all packed like sardines into Duncan Recital Hall...

That is a cool moment, though. I'm sorry I missed it....sad.gif

--------------------
Come away! O human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand...

Quite possibly one of the most beautiful things you will ever hear

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Aug 8 2004, 04:28 AM
Post #5

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

You know like when you really have to pee and you can't because you're doing something that can't be interrupted, and then all the sudden you're done with that and you run to the bathroom and go? Ahhhh. That's a great feeling. Makes life worth living, it does.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Aug 8 2004, 05:21 AM
Post #6

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

Any moment that I can spend with Righteous is my Ahh moment. Talking to him on the phone is incredible, but being with him in person is like being in heaven. Those are my up most ahh moments and I could die right there and be happy. Being with him reminds me of no matter how hard life gets, there's always the good things.

Other ahh moments consist of things like this weekend. Most of you probably don't know but I have major issues with my dad. (The most recent consisted of a physical fight where he acted like a two year old and ended up throwing a tin can of baby powder at my head causing a huge welt and bump). I have ppl like my friend Jenny and DOH (she's like my sister) who are there for me when I need them. I might be moving out at the end of the month and I have no clue where to go but knowing that they care for me and will do things like randomly go out and get movies and punkify ourselves just for the sake of spending time together gives me my Ahh moments.

Without my friends I don't know where I'd be.

My last Ahh moment for the day is my friend of my friend matt. He's a dorky sweet guy and before I left for Florida he drove over to my house just to give me a hug and then leave and he said that he'd miss me. He just randomly left his house to give me a hug and then go back home. He's also driven me to crew practices when my dad is no where to be found.

My friends are my Ahh moments.

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
jenofthejen
post Aug 8 2004, 10:45 AM
Post #7

all8^

Member No.: 1,167

When I had my kids (of course). But when my oldest was in kindergarten they had a Mothers Day Tea Party. When I walked into the classroom my angel was sitting on the front row of the bleachers and her eyes got so big when she saw me, and smiled so big! In the background they had Hero, by Bette Midler (i think that who sings it). That was my moment.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Aug 10 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #8

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

When my little sister, my feisty, smartass, red-headded angel, was born.

When the guys in So-Fail put together their first few songs.

When I saw Spiffy for the first time.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Aug 13 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #9

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

It sounds kind of weird, but I kind of like it when I wake up with my cat sleeping on my pillow (or my face. blink.gif )

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 10:22 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!