IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Special Characters Problem, because we need them, co├▒o ...
Pab
post Aug 9 2004, 01:48 AM
Post #1

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

Never mind the dirty spanish word (far less dirty in spanish, btw) that I used in the sub-title ... It seems the titles don't accept characters such as accents (├ , ├ę, ├ş, ├▓, ├║) and real good ones like the 'n' with a tilde on it (├▒) and other such things ... The 'Hablan Espa├▒ol' thread actually COMES UP BLANK ! ... The forums totally poops itself at the ├Ĺ character ...

So any language issues aren't going to come out right ... this is simply not an option. Must fix it ...

I suppose the title needs to be told to use the right ISO set of characters ... I might edit this to propose the right one, if i can find it.

Otherwise it has to be a bug, and invision themselves shall have to plug it ...

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Aug 9 2004, 05:20 AM
Post #2

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Are you sure they don't accept foreign characters? Because I see n with a tilde perfectly fine in the title. I'm using Netscape 7, if browsers have anything to do with it.

+Quote Post
Pab
post Aug 9 2004, 09:57 AM
Post #3

Yeap ... In the subtitle, as seen above, it seems to work fine. The example to look at is the "Hablan Espa├▒ol" thread in the non-english forum. It's about 10th down the list of topics in there at the moment. You click it open and the boards go BANG and sparks fly and children run and cats hide under the bed.

It could ultimately be part of the change-over that caused the problem .. then only real test is to make another thread with some nasty characters in the title ... I'll make one in here, and somebody can delete it or something later ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pab
post Aug 9 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #4

TEST PERFORMED

Yeeeeap .... the problem is only with old threads ... namely that one I keep mentioning, but I've noticed other dissappearing letters in other old threads. The Espa├▒ol one stands out because you cant even read the thread because of it.

So in many ways , no problem .... just some quirky looking text for some old posts, and one self-destructing thread in the non-english forum ... I wonder if it will let somebody edit the title ... it would just need retyping, but the glitch may be such that you can't even edit it ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 9 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #5

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I see that thread with the title 'Hablan Espa´┐Żol'. The subtitles with special characters seem to work okay though.

I've had a poke around to see if there's anything in admin, but I can't locate anything. I'll have a check on the Invision site to see if there's any info there.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Pab
post Aug 9 2004, 10:40 AM
Post #6

... to add to the fun, if you check out this thread HERE and just glance down the posts, you will see anything from boxes to bonafide sanskrit and all sorts. Obviously we're notgoing to notice it it much, but it hasnt forgiven a single special character.

I'm fairly sure it must be that such characters were encoded one way into the database, and now the are encoded in a different way. Some boards out there are going to have real problems with this ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Aug 9 2004, 10:54 AM
Post #7

This space intentionally left blank

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203

I suspect it was the database reshuffle which caused it. I'll have a poke around in there and see if I can come up with a way to fix things, but it may be too evil a task for it to be a good idea - adding full text search gubbins to the database tied up the server for nearly 2 hours, and I'm not sure I want to be that harsh to it again. tongue.gif

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 12:18 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!