Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Corset!, Patterns? Yes? No??
Kitty
post Aug 13 2004, 03:23 AM
Post #1

Professionally Unprofessional

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 580

I've spent hours on search engines looking for a proper corset pattern. Well not quite proper, but one that I like. I just want something that goes over my hips darnit! Why's that so hard to ask for?? dry.gif

Well anyway.... Thought you people might be able to help. I dont want to buy a corset cuz I have like.... 10 bucks.... and I think I was keeping that for something.... hmm. If no one knows of a pattern I'm gunna get a roll of duct tape, tape myself up, cut myself out, and make myself a pattern that way ^____^

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post Aug 13 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #2

<3

Member No.: 806

Why do you wanna get a corset? huh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Aug 13 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #3

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

I just want something that goes over my hips darnit! Why's that so hard to ask for?? 

Well, since corsets are technically designed to be waist-shaping, most don't. I don't think I've ever seen (or worn, heh) one that goes over the hips, sorry. Sometimes libraries have patterns for "costumes", though.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 13 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Dreams On Hiatus @ Aug 13 2004, 12:18 PM)
Why do you wanna get a corset?  huh.gif

^^ Cuz I'm going to a Renaissance Festival as a faerie and a corset was part of my costume design. One of them, anyway. I have two costumes x.X Sewing is starting to get on my nerves

QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Aug 13 2004, 12:24 PM)
Well, since corsets are technically designed to be waist-shaping, most don't. I don't think I've ever seen (or worn, heh) one that goes over the hips, sorry. Sometimes libraries have patterns for "costumes", though.

Neehh! Not true. They make lots of corsets that go over hips, they sinch in your waist and then curve back around your hips.... its sortah like a corset with tabs but o.0 Not. Its not a traditional style, more modern, but they do make them.

They also make corsets that come from your waist and down over your thighs but I dont see how in the world a person is sopposed to walk in that.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Aug 13 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #5

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

posta pic of your costuem if you get a chance. I for one am a faerie nut!!!!!!

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 13 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Aug 13 2004, 02:30 PM)

No problem! I need to anyway because I still havent shown you guys a picture of how my red hair ended up.... which, indeed, I did promise.... *grumble*

I'm going to end up wrapping my peice of fabric around me and pinning it close o.0;

But I'm still trying to think of a way to make an acctual pattern....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Aug 14 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #7

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Have you tried googleing it? That's how I generally find stuff.

I've seen the corsets that go over your hips - good luck making one though, I don't think I'd know where to start! smile.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Aug 14 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #8

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

QUOTE (K!77y @ Aug 13 2004, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Aug 13 2004, 02:30 PM)

I'm going to end up wrapping my peice of fabric around me and pinning it close o.0;

You know...most of the fairy pictures I see, they're scantily clad, or naked. Have you thought of that?

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 14 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Aug 14 2004, 08:28 AM)
You know...most of the fairy pictures I see, they're scantily clad, or naked. Have you thought of that?

Indeed I have. But, it wouldnt work to well for me to be running around nekkid at a public affair, would it?! *laughs* Scantilly clad faeries is what I'm doing, just.... modifying it a bit so there's more.... skin.... covered.... yup. *shifty eyes*

I'm a very modest girl. Really.

--------------------

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Aug 14 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #10

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

Decent proper corsets are a pain to make, you need the boning and everything. A 'corset style top' is going to be easier, but in terms of time, effort and materials you may be better looking for something on ebay.

Good luck with the costume, my last fairie was 'cyber' lots of silver & uv! Wings are a pian though, so good luck with them as well!

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 14 2004, 07:52 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Aug 14 2004, 07:24 AM)
Have you tried googleing it?  That's how I generally find stuff.

I've seen the corsets that go over your hips - good luck making one though, I don't think I'd know where to start!  smile.gif

Yea I'm having many problems with starting. I have corset patterns but none that go over hips, and I'm trying to think in my mind how to add hips. It really cant be that hard.

QUOTE (beleraphon @ Aug 14 2004, 01:11 PM)
Decent proper corsets are a pain to make, you need the boning and everything. A 'corset style top' is going to be easier, but in terms of time, effort and materials you may be better looking for something on ebay.

Good luck with the costume, my last fairie was 'cyber' lots of silver & uv! Wings are a pian though, so good luck with them as well!

Mmm.... corset style top thing is what I'm going for, I dont really need sinching and pushing up and all that jazz, but I still need a corset pattern, dont I? @.@ It needs to fit.... grr....

So how'd you do your wings? I had copper wire and made a frame and hotglued organza to it.... it turned out pretty gross.... I need to find steel wire. Did you have steel wire?

--------------------

+Quote Post
phoenix
post Aug 14 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #12

si hoc legere scis ninium eruditionis habes

Group: New Members
Member No.: 252

corsets arent hard to make, they are a bit tricky at first but, you get the hang of it after a little practice. i would buy extra boning and use scrape fabric to practice that part. the easiest place to find a pattern is at your fabric stores in the costumes, bridal, and prom dress sections in the pattern books. you might not find the length that you want but if you have the pattern you can cut the pattern out to the desired length (we had to do that with mine). the patterns even tell you how much of what you need and what kind of stitch to use.

--------------------
You are a wealthy crook and want to take over the world, you:

[A] Steal the secret plans to the U.S. Strategic Defense Initiative and hold the world ransom for $1,000,000,000.
[B] Own Microsoft
[C] Plant subliminal messages in the news Tom Brokaw reads every night: "(((send $1 to PO Box 426, Missoula, MT 59806)))"
[D] Capture the only man in the universe who can stop you, tell him your plans, then place him in an easily escapable situation with an air duct linking him to every country in the Northern Hemisphere and leave him alone.

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Aug 15 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #13

Any decent fabric shop should have patterns for corset top types things, if you use a firm fabirc it will then hold you in a bit.

Wings:
OK, I had quite 'batwing' style, so used fibre glass rods to make the 'fingers' and used a hot gule gun to attach some funky silver fabric I'd found, then extras like 'tatters' of crin, net, and rexlace that would glow under the club lights.
The ends of the rods I glued onto a couple of bits of thin foam, and glued them in with a LOT of gule, sort of built up round each rod to support it, then some duct-tape over that. The foam was then attached (more glue) to a sort of sholder harness thing made out of the same stuff those see-through bra straps are made of.

For more traditional fairy wings I'd try using either steel wire (old coathangers?) or plastic stips if you could heat-bend them. And a hot glue gun is the best thing in the world for this sort of venture. But you could sew the fabric on if the glue is being a pain. Organza sounds about right too, or other types of net, add some sparkles or ribbons too perhaps?

Good luck, and please post us a piccie of how it turns out!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 15 2004, 02:22 AM
Post #14

Mmm.... fabric store patterns.... I've looked many many times.... cant seem to get myself to pay 10 bucks or so for a few peices of paper.... I'm really picky about my money sometimes, I'm getting on my nerves. Asking people for corset patterns and turning you all down.... heh! Sorry!

QUOTE (beleraphon @ Aug 14 2004, 07:55 PM)
Wings:
OK, I had quite 'batwing' style, so used fibre glass rods to make the 'fingers' and used a hot gule gun to attach some funky silver fabric I'd found, then extras like 'tatters' of crin, net, and rexlace that would glow under the club lights.
The ends of the rods I glued onto a couple of bits of thin foam, and glued them in with a LOT of gule, sort of built up round each rod to support it, then some duct-tape over that. The foam was then attached (more glue) to a sort of sholder harness thing made out of the same stuff those see-through bra straps are made of.

For more traditional fairy wings I'd try using either steel wire (old coathangers?) or plastic stips if you could heat-bend them. And a hot glue gun is the best thing in the world for this sort of venture. But you could sew the fabric on if the glue is being a pain. Organza sounds about right too, or other types of net, add some sparkles or ribbons too perhaps?

Good luck, and please post us a piccie of how it turns out!

Where'd you get fibreglass rods from? Or where would you get plastic strips? I have a heat gun.... I could probally do either.... I'd use old coathangers but I'd have to work with the bends that are already in them.... maybe I can think something up, after a bunch of annoyance. I hate making wings. Your wings sound awesome though!! Do you have any pictures?

I'll have to make a trip to the fabric store again soon to pick up some clasps for my skirt.... and look at wing fabric, and some other stuff I'll probally end up needing ^^

And I'll be sure to post pictures ^__^

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Tortured Sou...
post Aug 15 2004, 02:42 AM
Post #15

Someday I'll return to the City in the sky

Member No.: 248

this all sounds damn cool i wanna see pics at the end!!!

hmmm slightly off topic but my friend is making me a costume for LARP (i've explained it on these boards before i can't be arsed again!!!) i'm gonna be a bunny-wolf beastkin if you like i can show u pics of me in this funky costume (when they are taken, my friend says shes gonna be taking pictures at the event so i should have some of me) it involves... ok basic thing, a black stripe across my eyes, this shows i'm a beastkin it's what ppl du that can't be arsed to get a proper costume done and it has just become the norm for all beastkin allso i will have white ears a gray furry top like thing with a tail... i love my tail, i can be sooo flirty with it... anyway... i will post pics of me looking like a fool in this in exchange for u looking cool in your fairy costume!!! smile.gif

--------------------
Signature now edited for my new forum life

WOOOHOOO i am e-engaged to the beautiful GothicTheySay

my little minion DoRmAnT she will do my bidding and be protected by my faires

my faires are, My cider fairy Pyromissy and my Vodka Imp Pyriem

Woo i got a funky signature thingy

user posted image

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 15 2004, 03:09 AM
Post #16

Sounds great, Tortured Soul *laughs*

So I've thought about this.... alot.... grr. This pattern and then.... you add tabs to it, and they fall over the hip shown here. and theenn.... if the tabs decide they dont like to sit on my hips and be clingy then I can cut them a bit and do fabric inserts and whatnot later.... .... I think it might work.

What do you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Aug 15 2004, 09:49 AM
Post #17

you can get the fibre glass rods from a kite shop or some DIY stores, or try the web for mail order.

LARP is where I started out - and once you have made a costume that can withstand a weekend of getting smacked about, dragged through mud and is still ok at silly 'o' clock when you are totally drunk them you can make more or less anything!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Aug 15 2004, 04:49 PM
Post #18

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

*Spam* Tort you wouldn't be doing the out fit for the gathering by any chance would you cause one of my friends will be there as a troll with a protable stall.

I'm trying to sort a costume for myself but I aready have the corset it's the rest I need to sort mines for a goth weekend and I'm planing on a long frock coat and skirt in dark green with black frogging on it but what with haveing a job as a trainee pattern cutter I dont quite have as much problem with the patterning.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 15 2004, 07:34 PM
Post #19

Heh.... I just realized I need shoes too. Last year I tried taking sandles and cutting everything off of them and stapling ribbon to the soles.... didnt hold to well, lasted two days of wear....

Have any ideas for shoes?

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Tortured Sou...
post Aug 16 2004, 02:17 AM
Post #20

Someday I'll return to the City in the sky

Member No.: 248

QUOTE (beleraphon @ Aug 15 2004, 09:49 AM)
LARP is where I started out - and once you have made a costume that can withstand a weekend of getting smacked about, dragged through mud and is still ok at silly 'o' clock when you are totally drunk them you can make more or less anything!

ah-ha u are a tru LARP-er you know of silly o'clock!!! i think i live my life in silly o'clock

QUOTE (Cath @ Aug 15 2004, 04:49 PM)
*Spam* Tort you wouldn't be doing the out fit for the gathering by any chance would you cause one of my friends will be there as a troll with a protable stall.

damn straight... it shalt be my first LARP event, i will be with the gryffons (ic: Insane chicken monster) tho i don't know for how long :-/ and also coz of my friends i will be in quite a famous group, i'm part of the Uzzzzzzz and i am 1 of Elmyra's cubs, who before my first LARP event have got themselves into trouble!!! so when i get there there may be a court case wonderful!!! my in character name is Mekkitbetta tho this may change if we get our ritual it'll change to Chomper or summat like that... does any of this make sence, u can ask your mate if he knows any of my mates they are (old and new charcters) Ri Yojimbo, Elmyra, Lysander, Barron Strike, Ragnar, Bitizhedoff, kiddnapedbydemons, Smezlikdinna, Wolfwitpurr and Wotizit (there maybe more but i can't remember at the moment)

i'm gonna be at ragnars wake in the temple of light i'll be playing guitar for the ragnar song coz he was my dad n' all so that will be an easy way 2 find me if your friend wants to, just get him to come up 2 me out of character and say he's caths friend and i'll know him smile.gif

--------------------
Signature now edited for my new forum life

WOOOHOOO i am e-engaged to the beautiful GothicTheySay

my little minion DoRmAnT she will do my bidding and be protected by my faires

my faires are, My cider fairy Pyromissy and my Vodka Imp Pyriem

Woo i got a funky signature thingy

user posted image

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Aug 16 2004, 03:11 AM
Post #21

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I actually saw what you were talking about today k!77y. I was at a renaissance festival and a few people had them on. If you pm me or im me I think that I have a link that you might like or might help. smile.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 16 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #22

I'm realizing how much of a pain in the.... hand! It is to cut coat hangers.... with like.... pliars.... owww....

Does Anyone Want To Help Design A Pair of Wings?

I have 15 inch rods and 8 inch rods, and they're straight (because i cut them from wire clothhangers) I can bend them just not too elaborately.... simple curves. Any ideas?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Aug 16 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #23

I've been brainwashed

QUOTE (The Tortured Soul @ Aug 16 2004, 03:17 AM)
i'm gonna be at ragnars wake in the temple of light i'll be playing guitar for the ragnar song coz he was my dad n' all so that will be an easy way 2 find me if your friend wants to, just get him to come up 2 me out of character and say he's caths friend and i'll know him smile.gif

I'm not sure you'd want my friends to find you! I'm not sure if he just selling this year cause in previous years he's helped with the set up of the the ritual ring and he might decided to blow you up for the hell of it! tongue.gif But if he's just selling He'should be reasonable easy to spot he's got a portable stall (type you hang round your neck CMOTD styly) be sells fascial prosthetics ear points etc. I also have another friend who'll probably be there he's been playing a Scaven mage (or something like that) reasontly. He's a nice guy but his charators a git so you may want to say clear of him to and he may also be playing a charactor that is important to one of the plot lines so it could end up with yours being killed. tongue.gif

Good Luck and have a couple of spare charators at the ready just in case! tongue.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Aug 16 2004, 05:50 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (The Tortured Soul @ Aug 16 2004, 02:17 AM)
damn straight... it shalt be my first LARP event, i will be with the gryffons (ic: Insane chicken monster) tho i don't know for how long :-/ and also coz of my friends i will be in quite a famous group, i'm part of the Uzzzzzzz and i am 1 of Elmyra's cubs, who before my first LARP event have got themselves into trouble

You are in the gryphons?
Sweet, I know most of the command group and plot ref and well, my lot run a heck of a lot of the gathering these days and the plot and everything!

I can't go this year, no money, but have a fantastic time!

bel.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Aug 16 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #25

I've been brainwashed

*Spam*
You might have met my friend the Scaven he's been going for years. He's called Chris aka Kip aka whatever his Skaven is called.

I a pic of me in my corset if anyones interested! <- me being on topic honest!!! huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 05:29 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!