Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eeeeeeuw!, This'll put you off your food
Mata
post Sep 2 2004, 10:10 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Yuck! This is the amount of things that are legally allowed to be wrong with your food in the US. I'm just glad I live in the UK where everything is perfect everyday all the time. *nods furiously*

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pab
post Sep 2 2004, 10:36 AM
Post #2

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

Up to 10% of the coffee beans that made up this cup of coffee can be insect infested? Rodent filth in my chocolate? Up to 60 insect fragements per 100grams? Up to 15% mold count on cranberry sauce?

So Indiana Jones was a documentary?...

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Sep 2 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #3

Professionally Unprofessional

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 580

*laughs* Thats pretty nasty.... but think about how it is in other countries if the "perfect USA" which doesnt seem to be so perfect, has that much filth in their food.... yumm.... Well I dont seem to be getting sick from it, so I'm just going to go ignore all that nasty stuff I just read.... yes yes....

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Sep 2 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #4

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

I remeber reading that bread in third world countriesis generally more nutricious that bread in the developed world, as the lavae other insects etc, provided good stuff. also the bread was less processed, and that lack of malarking with it, made it better to eat that say your average white loaf in the UK.

(off to google, to find summit to back up this post)

What is removed, during the processing or "refining" process is much of the fibre and other nutrients. Vitamins, minerals etc are destroyed in the high heat used in the processing. ( got this, from here).
/fin edit

I personally dont mind eating stuff with bits of (unseeable) mould or lavae in it coz the way I see it, if I were to wrap my self up in bubble wrap and eat only very 'clean' food then, I'd be more suceptible to upset stomaches coz ma belly wouldnt be used to mould and the like.

its a bit like a programme on I think it was BBC, a lill while ago. basically, from what I remeber there was a proven link betewwn having allergies (eg hayfever), and not having worms. part of the argument was that the number of people suffering from hayfever (and other allergies) had risen since the number of people with worms has decreased. there was more, but I can't remeber it well enough to type it our here. it was quite an interesting programme.

This post has been edited by funked)out_frog: Sep 2 2004, 01:11 PM

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 2 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #5

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

While the idea of it all is rather nasty, it's absolutely true that most of this stuff doesn't do us any harm and may in fact be very beneficial to us.

When I was in the desert for a week, the last day I was there none of us were expecting to eat another meal before we travelled so we didn't wash up the plates. However, we still hadn't left by the evening and a nearby camp offered us some food. Cue us all finding the dirty plates and shrugging 'If we can't chip it off then it's not going to come off in our food is it?' smile.gif It's amazing how low your levels of hygene can get and still leave you perfectly healthy...

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Sep 2 2004, 03:49 PM
Post #6

omno-ahhhhhhh!

QUOTE (Mata)
It's amazing how low your levels of hygene can get and still leave you perfectly healthy...

that is very true.

re: ingridiants in stuff. I also remeber reading that in the UK if a cream, or shower gel proclaims it self to be natural, or have natural ingrediants, then the total 'natural' content only needs to be 1%. that scares me.

I feel to rant a lill.

A while ago in my local pound shop were Heinze preservative free,MSG (monno sodium glutomate) free GM free instant pasta meals (the ones you put hot water in). It was tastless. but not tastless in a bland cucumber way. more a stock cube who's flavour had been removed by a transporter from star trek. honest. I figured that Heinze were testing out the market with the new range. the new range that I have never seen in a supermarket, or corner shop, just the pound shop.

Am I the only one with deep suspicions about McDonalds u-turn on the food it serves.

I have a sneaking suspicion that all the big food companies in this country are aware of thte governments plans to have all food labled with is content and RDA's (reccomended daily allowance), like they know what the legal limits will be set to, before the govenment themselves do. before the government has even dotted the i's and crossed the t's on food labelling. It's just really poopy. it's like big the food companies are being given more than enough time to make changes to what they sell us. -time, which also lets them test out what consumers do and do not like. I just hope that the smaller companies have time to change too. Coz what wil happen is the government will say in some official paer buisness that food for the public must have no more than x amount of salt, y amount of fat, etc by Jan 2007, or summit. then the smaller companies wont have the bennifit of time and money that the bigger companies had to get the 'healthier' food on to shop floors.

/conspiriacy theory aka rant

the scary thing about MSG's is that they taste so nice, you just know its wrong. but it tastes soo nice. but soo wrong.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 2 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #7

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Is there anything really bad about monosodium glutamate, exactly?

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Sep 2 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #8

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

I don't think so.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Sep 2 2004, 07:42 PM
Post #9

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

MSG makes me pass out - I'm allergic too it.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Sep 2 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #10

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

it makes things taste of chinese

...food...not people...well...one would expect...

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
TehRoxxorCOD
post Sep 2 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #11

Inside Your Mind

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,251

Monosodium Glutamate has a high monosodium glutamate content...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Sep 2 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #12

Shut up, noob!

I read that because of the preservatives in foods, humans (particularly Americans) decompose more slowly than in years past.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Sep 2 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #13

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

I think I'm going to go inspect my refrigerator (sorry if that is misspelled. I cannot spell that word. I have a feeling I never will either)... that is kind of scary to think all of that stuff is allowed in food.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Sep 3 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #14

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

I'm only disgusted by the "mammalian excreta" and eggs/larvae. I don't like living things or things that are going to be living things in my food. I like my food dead. But the rodent hair/insect fragments, hey, they're all right.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
altehase
post Sep 3 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #15

Patron Saint Of All Mediocrities

Member No.: 1,018

Consider the following...you ought to try the brand of coffee I drink. The beans have been passed through the digestive tracks of monkeys. Here's an article I found about it...

http://www.canarsiecourier.com/News/2001/1...inment/003.html

At first I started to drink it to be cool...but I ended up alienating myself from my cohorts. What are you gonna do, right?

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Sep 3 2004, 01:11 AM
Post #16

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

Is MSG bad? As far as I know, the only reason that things are marked MSG-free isn't because it's been linked to cancer or anything, but because some people have allergies to it, some severe, some not. Some people can't eat MSG because it gives them headaches.

--

As for the link, it's pretty disgusting, but really it's unavoidable. That's just the way the world is. *shrugs.* We live in an over-sanitized society where we don't like to think about things like this... (interestingly, the popular common theory as to why allergies are relatively common in the developed world and not in the underdeveloped world is because we don't have enough parasites over here...) but unfortunately it's a reality.

Still, it's gross. sad.gif

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Sep 3 2004, 02:12 AM
Post #17

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I'm glad that most of my food I make at home...but even then the problems that could happen during the packeging process...

*shudders* unsure.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Sep 3 2004, 02:28 AM
Post #18

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

I had the impression that MSG was a carcinogen, aka cancer - causing, but I could be remembering things incorrectly.

For truly disgusting there was a study done on the little bowl of mints up at the front of most restaurants. It was found that traces of human waste were on the candy. Not long after that all the little minties came individually wrapped. Seems people hadn't been handwashing in the washrooms. Blech.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Sep 3 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #19

Shut up, noob!

Has anyone ever read The Jungle? If not, it's a book about the meat-packing industry in the States in the early 1900s. They did some gnarly things while making sausage back in those days. Rats and birds would get caught in the machinery and be ground up with the meat along with their feces and other grodie things. My eleventh grade American history teacher read it aloud for us. Our class was right before lunch...

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Sep 12 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #20

omno-ahhhhhhh!

QUOTE (CommieBastard Sep 2 2004 @ 06:45 PM Post)
Is there anything really bad about monosodium glutamate, exactly? 

Commie, I've been looking for 'trustable' site to back me up, but I either find government ones that are either for , or have not problems with MSG's. Or I find biased anti chemical ones.

But I still dont rekon that msg (in abundance) are too good. but hey..

--------------------

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Sep 13 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #21

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

MSGs can cause dry mouth, dehiadration, head aches and overtime make your tongue less sensitive (meaning you can't taste as well.) Somebody I knew had some other information on it that was very bad.

Oh another thing about MSG... Alzheimers...

"I consider it ironic, that the pharmaceutical industry is investing vast resources in the development of glutamate receptor blockers to protect CNS [central nervous system] neurons against glutamate neurotoxicity in common neurological disorders, while at the same time the food industry, with the blessing of the FDA, continues to add great quantities of glutamate to the food supply."
-- Richard C. Henneberry, Ph.D.
Director, Neuroscience Program
Conte Institute for Environmental Health

They also don't say that it's in the food that you eat. It's often not put on the ingredient list. It's hidden, so is it good for us?

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Sep 17 2004, 02:51 PM
Post #22

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

That always worried me. I mean, if they're putting it in your food, and they're happy to do that, why don't they list it in ingredients?
Maybe the list would get too long if they started including things like MSG. I don't know, really. But the fact that they want to make chemicals to block that type of thing, while they add more to food, is a little worrying unsure.gif
This is one of those things to go on my 'things to look into by googling' list.

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Sep 17 2004, 08:07 PM
Post #23

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

Aw, come now, 60% mould content isn't a bad thing...it's antibiotics! Yes!

Humans have survived for thousands of years eating this stuff. It's not harmful...it's just gross. Sort of falls into the "things I didn't need to know" category.

This was not a good thing for an obsessive-compulsive to read. Really. Urk.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Sep 17 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #24

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

I'd rather have unnoticable bug babies in my food than pesticides, though neither really appeal. I love how they call it insect and rodent "filth", that made me giggle.

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 03:36 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!