Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teeth, Baffled
Snugglebum the D...
post Sep 9 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #1

F*cking with the best since 1996

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 962

So, I was thinking about teeth this morning. I suspect because I'm hung over and my brain isn't working properly. blink.gif

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that we get two sets of teeth in our lifetime? I mean, your baby teeth are only there for a few short years before your adult teeth come through. Seems a bit pointless really.

And then there are animals. Do they get two sets of teeth? I've had cats all my life and I don't once remember them losing baby teeth and then gaining new ones.

What about apes? Seeing as they're our closest relative, do they lose baby teeth?

I'm sure that there's some scientific explination - I just don't know what it is.

Anyone?

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Sep 9 2004, 01:05 PM
Post #2

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

T'pups had baby teeth and lost those recently. I don't know about other animals, though.

I think we should have more sets of teeth. I mean, they so easily get messed up. Put the evil dentists out of work. A new set daily, even! I don't mind spitting out a mouthful of whities every morning.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Sep 9 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #3

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

Here's a link to teeth you may just understand. wink.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/find_out...000/3830847.stm

2. Mammals have only two sets of teeth. Reptiles and fish have many sets and can replace lost teeth with new ones all their lives

From this link http://www.earthlife.net/mammals/mammal.html

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Sep 9 2004, 01:17 PM
Post #4

Well, aren't you handy to have about! tongue.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Sep 9 2004, 01:21 PM
Post #5

Microwave your children

He only knows that because he's kicked so many puppies and noted their teeth haven't grown back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Sep 9 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Matazone acolyte

QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Sep 9 2004, 01:21 PM)
He only knows that because he's kicked so many puppies and noted their teeth haven't grown back.

Don't tell the animal rights nutters on this forum that, they will kill me!

After i have kicked there puppies that is evil.gif

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Sep 9 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #7

Microwave your children

Don't tell the animal rights nutters on this forum that, they will kill me!

That's the idea...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Sep 9 2004, 02:18 PM
Post #8

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

s'cos ya heed's only wee when ya're a nipper, eh? ya canne fut huge great chompers in a wee bairn's mooth!

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Sep 9 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #9

Matazone acolyte

QUOTE (Jonman @ Sep 9 2004, 02:18 PM)
s'cos ya heed's only wee when ya're a nipper, eh? ya canne fut huge great chompers in a wee bairn's mooth!

That's a lie i stuffed my grannies false teeth into my nephews mouth when he was only 2 evil.gif

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Sep 9 2004, 05:19 PM
Post #10

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

Put the evil dentists out of work

I resemble that remark! ohmy.gif

Um, humans only needed two sets of teeth because we only originally lived for 30, 40 years and they tend to last just fine until that point. It's only after that that they really become troublesome, unless you eat a modern diet which is saturated with sugar. The rate of cavities increases nearly exponentially after sugar was introduced in excess to the western diet by sugar cane production in the united states ~1700s. Then, cavities become much more problematic and the adult teeth start falling out/causing severe pain at a younger and younger age...

Anyway, basically teeth are really complicated things to develop in the embryo (even your adult teeth start developing in the embryo, or at least the buds which will later develop enamel, dentin, and the other structures of the tooth) and they take up quite a lot of space in the fetus's jaw, so I imagine that with the system evolution has provided with us currently, my guess is it's just not possible to fit more than about two sets of teeth in the embryo's developing jaw.

However, evolution is always changing things, and I know that some people do have more than two sets of teeth... my grandmother lost her adult teeth and had some of a third set come in. Weird, no? I'm hoping that genetic aberration got passed down to me! smile.gif

The reason you don't find kitten teeth is because they swallow them, and they're quickly dissolved by stomach acid... or so I've heard.

Rodents have teeth that keep erupting their entire life, which is why they need to chew on things and wear them down, or their teeth will literally grow into their skull.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Sep 9 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #11

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I don't really think of it as that odd. If you tried to put adult's teeth into a baby's mouth they wouldn't fit and would cause the child a lot of pain.

My upper pallet never grew much so I had adult teeth coming in the center of the roof of my mouth. Thus I had to stretch my pallet and get the teeth pulled.

It makes sense to me tongue.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Sep 9 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #12

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

What Geoff said. I was *so* going to say that, but he beat me to it. biggrin.gif

I'm another tooth abnormality. I never lost a *lot* of my baby teeth. I still have one baby tooth that is visible in the front, and I only ever lost 1 or 2 of my molars...the rest are still baby teeth. Come to think of it...I was pretty late when it came to losing the ones I actually did lose. I didn't lose my first tooth till I was 8 or 9. And I guess I must not have a diet that's very high in sugar, because I've never had a cavity. I'm quite happy with that.

My dad, on the other hand, had to have all of his teeth except 2 pulled when he was only...46, I think, because of an infection or some such thing. So he now wears dentures, and he's not even 50.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Sep 10 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #13

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

because I've never had a cavity.

Me too. biggrin.gif But, I'm younger. My teeth are naturally sort of a yellowish tint, so that's annoying. I need to floss very well - my last dentist visit revealed a bit of puffy gums/gingivitis. But my teeth in general have very good hygiene, she said, and I'm not a stickler for twice-a-day brushing, so I'm happy for that!

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Sep 10 2004, 03:04 PM
Post #14

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I heard somewhere that people who are breast fed as babies have less chance of getting cavities than those who were bottle fed. But I have no idea if that has any shred of truth whatsoever.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Sep 10 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #15

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

I had two teeth that grew in baby sized. The dentist has capped 'em and you'd never be able to tell which they are.
I know shark's have multiple sets and keep growing and loosing 'em on a regular basis. Odd facts you pick up wandering around places like aquariums.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Sep 11 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #16

See - all your points make really good sense. I think it was the drink.

So, change of subject - tell me about your teeth?

Apparently (according to the pysco we call our Dentist) I have weak teeth. That being the case I'm not allowed to use any whitening toothpastes (which sucks for a smoker), no sugar in any form, and all sorts of other weird stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 08:02 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!