Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Was Thinking
FurryMammal
post Sep 15 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #1

Secret Electric Pants Buffer

Group: New Members
Member No.: 559

I was wandering around Huddersfield in a daze earlier inbetween my lessons. I hung around a bookshop (Ottakers, they have no fancy Waterstones) for a while, then I asked myself this:

Some guy goes into a bookshop. He browses for a bit and selects a book he likes the look of. He goes to the comfy seating area and reads the entire book cover to cover. He puts the book back on the shelf and walks out.

Through those actions, did he steal the book?

Now, the 'guy' is me most free periods. Today's pick was another work of Robert Rankin (class writer, highly recomended, very funny), though I didn't actually finish the book. But I could have. Or someone else could have. By reading a book and not paying for it, are you stealing?

--------------------
George Bush- the world's worst winner.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Sep 15 2004, 05:27 PM
Post #2

Microwave your children

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,164

Legally, it's not stealing until you actually leave the shop (hence why it's always fun to blatantly sneak things under your coat, and hover near the entrance, in shops). But you're very naughty for getting yourself some free culture.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Sep 15 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #3

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Isn't that what the library is for? tongue.gif

[/spam]

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
FurryMammal
post Sep 15 2004, 07:07 PM
Post #4

Yeah I guess.... Huddersfield library has closed though! Nyah!

But I haven't stolen the book... per say... I have just copied and pasted its contents into my brain, so is that information theft? 'Cos it would be on the net.

--------------------

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Sep 15 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #5

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

I'm not a big fan of stealing (I currently have two friends on probation because of it dry.gif) and the one time I did actually steal something I was 8 and it was a set of fake nails. After I put them on, I felt so guilty I tore them off. HOWEVER. Books are outrageously expensive. I mean, for the love of god, you can't buy 3 books any more without spending over $40 half the time, which I think is a crime... highway robbery. So, by all means, if you can steal books or read them in the store, go ahead. I don't think what you're doing is stealing. If you're a quick enough read that you can finish a book in a couple hours, you deserve it.

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Sep 15 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #6

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

I agree with ARC, book prices are positively exorbitant, and this "Quality paper" rubbish is robbery in of itself. Anyway, it does annoy me somewhat when I see people plopping themselves down and reading books in the bookstore. I don't want to buy a book with its spine broken or wotnot. And it does seem a bit like stealing. I have a certain amount of sympathy for the bookseller and author. It's good for the author if the books sells (otherwise they get boxfulls of homeless books shipped to them, which is no fun, and the publisher will not reprint). And I always feel intensely guilty if I leave a small bookseller's without buying something...eek. o.O If I read a book in the store, which I occasionally do (/guilt twinges), I normally buy something else to compensate.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Sep 15 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

It was Robert Rankin,
so you are forgiven.

Although really, you should register your love of his fiction by allowing him a few pennies of royalities.

+Quote Post
FurryMammal
post Sep 15 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #8

If anyone knows Robert rankin's address, I'm sure I could stretch to a few quid biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 06:04 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!