IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Autumnal Equinox, Sept 22. Mid-fall already?
Ashbless
post Sep 17 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

I know midwinter and midsummer are wiccan holidays. Anybody know if mid-fall is also?

If so then have a good one. biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 17 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #2

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Yeah, I think a lot of neo-Pagans celebrate the equinoxes as well as the whatever-they're-calleds. Have a good one, guys.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Sep 18 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #3

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Sep 17 2004, 07:57 PM)
Yeah, I think a lot of neo-Pagans celebrate the equinoxes as well as the whatever-they're-calleds. Have a good one, guys.

Neo-pagans? Hey, I resemble that remark! smile.gif

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Artemisia
post Sep 18 2004, 02:26 AM
Post #4

never enough yaoi in the world...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 783

Well, in terms of fall celebrations, take your pick. There's the Autumn Equinox, (also called Mabon or Alban Elfed), and Winter Finding, in some traditions, can go from the equinox to Winter Night (Oct. 15). Basically they are harvest festivals (actually, the 2nd of the harvest festivals- 1st one is Lammas (August), 3rd one is Samhain.

Now you know.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Sep 18 2004, 02:50 AM
Post #5

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

::coughcough:: Commie, the "other ones" you're talking about are the Solstices. smile.gif

Yes, we do celebrate that! Mabon is on September 21st. So bountiful blessings to everyone!

For more info on the holiday, a pretty decent site is:
http://www.wicca.com/celtic/akasha/mabon.htm
I'm just too tired to write up a description myself right now.
::falls asleep on her keyboard::

[ topic = off ]
I'm actually getting married on Mabon in 2007. If it stays warm enough and sunny enough, that is. Cold and bad weather can make an outdoors wedding hellish, and the site is in Southern Oregon.

And as an aside to my fellow board Pagans, yes, my fiancee and I are getting handfasted first. We're going to do it traditionally, during Beltane (April 30th), 2006. The wedding is for our Christian families. Heh, I'm tempted to bump up the handfasting date to Beltane next year, but as much as Randy loves me I think he'd get nervous. Besides, I haven't found anyone I really want to perform the ritual yet.
[ / offtopic ]

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 18 2004, 06:24 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Feyliya @ Sep 18 2004, 03:50 AM)
::coughcough::  Commie, the "other ones" you're talking about are the Solstices. smile.gif
[ / offtopic ]

*smacks forehead* I knew it, I knew it, it was on the tip of my tongue...

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Sep 18 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #7

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Feyliya @ Sep 17 2004, 06:50 PM)

I'm actually getting married on Mabon in 2007. If it stays warm enough and sunny enough, that is. Cold and bad weather can make an outdoors wedding hellish, and the site is in Southern Oregon.

Well if it's in Roseburg, then I hear that they have pretty mild weather year-round. Course, your fiancee would probably be a better source on that. I've only actually been there once, that I can remember. biggrin.gif

And yay for a handfasting first! I wish I would have done that. My wedding was very Christian and very not me. We plan on renewing our vows on our 10th anniversary. We're going to have a big party that is about what we want rather than what our families wanted us to do...and I want it to be a handfasting.

Anyway! Back on topic. Isn't Mabon on the 22nd this year? *looks at calendar*...yeeep. Autumnal Equinox = September 22nd. I thought so, but when Feyliya said that it was on the 21st I second-guessed myself. tongue.gif For those who don't know, the equinoxes (autumn and spring) and the solstices (summer and winter) move. The autumn and spring solstices are the 2 days of the year when there are 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night. The summer solstice is the longest day of the year, and the winter solstice is the shortest day of the year. I could go into detail about what each one represents...but that would take forever considering the different traditions, etc...so let's just leave it at that! biggrin.gif

Mabon is sort of like Thanksgiving (some people I've met actually call it "Witches' Thanksgiving")...except it actually falls during harvest-time, rather than in the end of November (well...at least where I live, if things haven't been harvested long before November, they are dead and rotting).

That's one benefit of being Pagan with a Christian family...you tend to get to celebrate 2 of each holiday. wink.gif Even though I don't celebrate the religious aspects of Christian holidays like Christmas, I still spend the day with my family and join in their celebration just to be with them and give and receive gifts and such. So this Wednesday I'll have Mabon, and late in November I'll get another Thanksgiving that I'll spend with my family. Though the November Thanksgiving is usually WAY more extravagant than my own Mabon celebration. I just eat things that I harvest myself from my mom's vegetable garden. The Thanksgiving in November requires a whole day of cooking. blink.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Sep 18 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #8

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

Whaaaaat? It's that time of year already?

I'm telling you high school makes you stupid.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post Sep 19 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #9

<3

Member No.: 806

Happy Mabon, everyone! happy.gif Many blessings to ya.

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Sep 19 2004, 01:20 AM
Post #10

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

Isn't the autumnal equinox the official beginning of the fall, not the middle of it?

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Sep 19 2004, 01:40 AM
Post #11

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

Happy Mabon!

And as an aside to my fellow board Pagans, yes, my fiancee and I are getting handfasted first. We're going to do it traditionally, during Beltane (April 30th), 2006. The wedding is for our Christian families. Heh, I'm tempted to bump up the handfasting date to Beltane next year, but as much as Randy loves me I think he'd get nervous. Besides, I haven't found anyone I really want to perform the ritual yet.

Congrats!! Are you guys getting into traditional garb? My friend Jen's cousin is wiccan and they had an outdoor wedding and everyone was dressed up -- it was soo cool. I love the ceramony, it's really beautiful.

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Sep 19 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #12

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

QUOTE (Jaq @ Sep 18 2004, 07:20 PM)
Isn't  the autumnal equinox the official beginning of the fall, not the middle of it?

Depends who you ask. Just like some people consider the solstices the beginnings of those seasons (oftern printed as such on calendars), when traditionally they were known as Midwinter and Midsummer.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Sep 19 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #13

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

Ack! I had the day wrong! ::smacks forehead:: See people, this is what happens when you move and forget your calendar. Ah well, now I know!

So you're going to do an anniversary handfasting Candice? Very cool. I wish I could pop down there for it! biggrin.gif Many good wishes for ten more happy years, and more after that!

As for garb, Randy is going to be wearing a kilt to both the handfasting and the wedding. ::insert drooling here:: I'm torn between wearing a traditional red dress or a white one for both the ceremonies to cut down on money. Here's the style I'm planning on for myself for the wedding and the handfasting:
http://www.fairyfashion.de/jol/jol3s.jpg
and the bridesmaids will be in something like this:
http://www.fairyfashion.de/ew/redfancy/2s.jpg
For the handfasting I'm making myself a silver mesh and garnet headpiece. Of course I'll be wearing a veil for the wedding.

The wedding's going to be Rennaisance themed, and I think Randy is going to let his groomsmen choose on wearing a tux or a kilt..... We're still debating the costs of things and whether we can actually talk our respective family members and friends into the outfits. dry.gif I know my friends would jump at the chance to wear a custom-made Rennaisance dress, but I'm not sure my mother would want to, and I'm almost certain that my grandfather would rather have surgery than wear a kilt in public.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Sep 20 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #14

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

Aw, but that would be so cool!!

*drools* I love your dress ideas. They're b e a utiful.

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Sep 20 2004, 01:14 AM
Post #15

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Feyliya @ Sep 19 2004, 03:38 PM)

So you're going to do an anniversary handfasting Candice?  Very cool.  I wish I could pop down there for it! biggrin.gif Many good wishes for ten more happy years, and more after that!

Thanks! smile.gif It won't be for 7 more years, though...we've only been married for 3 as of now. biggrin.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Sep 21 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #16

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

Happy Mabon one and all smile.gif I woke up this morning and pulled back my lounge curtain to be greated by the most beautiful rainbow. I grabbed my digital camera and took these. The end of the rainbow actually drops into the park over the road ohmy.gif

I have never seen such a beautiful sight smile.gif Made me feel all warm and fuzzy and optimistic wub.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 21 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #17

According to my calendar, Mabon's tomorrow...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Sep 21 2004, 10:19 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Sep 21 2004, 10:14 AM)
According to my calendar, Mabon's tomorrow...

It's a moveable feast as they say. Some calendars will say it's today some tomorrow. Personally I celebrate it when it feels right. All this week it's just felt more autumnal and that rainbow has been the icing on the cake so, for me, it's today smile.gif If you believe that the "ancient pagans" celebrated the festivals then they would have looked signs, at the stars, weather etc. as they wouldn't have had a WHSmith diary tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 21 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #19

Fair enough, being nonreligious means I can pretty much get my party on whenever I feel like it biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Sep 21 2004, 11:32 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Sep 21 2004, 11:02 AM)
Fair enough, being nonreligious means I can pretty much get my party on whenever I feel like it biggrin.gif

Yeah it can work like that for Pagans too! laugh.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 21 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #21

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

You mean they didn't have WHSmith diaries in olden times? They truly were barbaric! wink.gif

Merry Mabon to all who believe in it! (Happy 21st September 2004 to those who don't!)

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Sep 21 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 21 2004, 12:49 PM)
You mean they didn't have WHSmith diaries in olden times? They truly were barbaric! wink.gif

Don't make me hurt you Pagan-stylie! tongue.gif

They only had week-to-view stone tablets and they were a bugger to fit in your bag laugh.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 04:00 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!