IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The English Language, And it's various forms.
Righteous
post Sep 24 2004, 02:42 AM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

Looking at the English-English translations in Pab's thread made me think. From all you cats here, I've learned a bit about the various forms of English floating around the world.

I've quoted UK folks I've met and had to translate words like "holiday" and "fag" to their American counterparts and explain that there are more uses for the word "cheers" then what you say before slamming down a brew. "Why do they use different words like that?" "I don't know, man. They just do." I once saw a cartoon where these two Americans were working a store in London. A guy came in saying, "Pack of fags," to which one replied, "What'd you call us?" "No, it's a cigarette, mate," "I ain't your mate." The Meaning of Life was fun. "What pictures is he talking about?" "That's what they call movie theaters," "Well, why can't they just call them movie theaters?" (Ri slaps head)

When I went to Orlando, I met a lot of UK folks (many of which thought that the rest of Florida is like this, much like most of the people in US believe) and was able to understand what they were saying. It was a real "when in Rome" thing. I like being able to talk to UK visitors. It's fun.

Any thoughts on the crazy English-ness around the world? I know we've all had fun with this, I'm sure.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Sep 24 2004, 03:29 AM
Post #2

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

An American / Canadian disagreement as to meaning is the phrase "to table something"
If a Canadian tables something - it means it's brought out to be discussed and dealt with. If an American tables it - then it's been put to the side for discussion/solving some other time. Canadians tend to shelve it for later.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Sep 24 2004, 04:23 AM
Post #3

Shut up, noob!

I haven't had much problem with Canadian English. I've been down with it more than I was UK English at first.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Sep 26 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Well, A lot of Canadian kids & adults watch American TV programs so it's not to surprising that there's a lot of similarities.

I thought it amusing in the film " Meet Joe Black" that the old lady, speaking english in the hospital with admittedly with a strong Florida keys accent, was subtitled in english.

--------------------

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 26 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #5

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

QUOTE (Ashbless @ Sep 24 2004, 04:29 AM)
An American / Canadian disagreement as to meaning is the phrase "to table something"
If a Canadian tables something - it means it's brought out to be discussed and dealt with.  If an American tables it - then it's been put to the side for discussion/solving some other time.  Canadians tend to shelve it for later.

While "table" does exist in UK English as a verb, it's only used formally - once I was a delegate to the Model United Nations, and I tabled a motion. Motions are the only thing you table, really.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Sep 27 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #6

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Hey Ri... Digging the Clerks Animated Series reference, man. Good stuff... good stuff. Anyway, English is fun! I can pretty much figure out a conversation with any English - Irish, British, Australian, American (save some ghetto speak.)

Engrish, however... that's a different story.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Sep 27 2004, 04:05 AM
Post #7

Just remember 'r' and 'l' are interchangable. As well 'n' and 'm' are the same sound and everything becomes clear and understandable.

English is a rough language to try to learn so I am impressed by those who chose to do so later in life. I've only the one language that I can mangle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Sep 27 2004, 06:25 AM
Post #8

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Mmmhmmm...yup...the English language...the English language and its various forms...hey, I'm a grammar nazi by trade...the ellipses are an intended effect...

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Sep 27 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #9

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

Mmmhmmm...yup...the English language...the English language and its various forms...

Righteous, dude, you've been pwned. ^^

Effingpot is a humourous English-American dictionary. It's a funny read, going both ways.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Sep 27 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #10

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Sep 27 2004, 01:25 AM)
Mmmhmmm...yup...the English language...the English language and its various forms...hey, I'm a grammar nazi by trade...the ellipses are an intended effect...

Yeah, I was slightly buzzed when I wrote that. I noticed it later and it's been bugging me since.

It took me a half hour to explain to my brother the difference between chips, fries, chips and crisps. It was the difference between US chips and UK chips that got him. "So they call fries chips?" "Yeah." "So what are chips again?" "Fries." "No American chips." "Crisps." "Why din't they just call them chips?" "Cause that's what they call fries." "Chips?" "Yeah." "I thought they called them crisps." (Ri slaps head)

I needed a fag after that. tongue.gif

If you've seen Eurotrip, you may recall the conversation Cooper had with the rabid football fan (another cookie translation) where the rabid fan was going off using terms Coop had never heard and during a pause said, "Dude, you guys are on a whole different levevel of swearing than we are."

A similar conversation on football:
"So what do they call soccer in England?" "Football." "Well, what do they call football?" "Football's still football, but they call it American football." "What do they call American soccer?" "Football." "Wait, what's football again?" (Ri slaps head)

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Tortured Sou...
post Sep 27 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #11

Someday I'll return to the City in the sky

Member No.: 248

are these convos with your brother???

what annoys me is how ppl over here are starting to use american dilect (sp? and is that the right word)

there are some people that call chips fries, criptill generally crisp, but every now and again i hear american stuff spewing out of ppls mouths, generally the kind of people that listen to american rap music and almost forget they are english...

--------------------
Signature now edited for my new forum life

WOOOHOOO i am e-engaged to the beautiful GothicTheySay

my little minion DoRmAnT she will do my bidding and be protected by my faires

my faires are, My cider fairy Pyromissy and my Vodka Imp Pyriem

Woo i got a funky signature thingy

user posted image

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 27 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #12

I always saw fries and chips as two different things. You get fries in McDonald's, you get chips at the chippie. Chips are thick cut, fries are not.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Sep 28 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #13

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (The Tortured Soul @ Sep 27 2004, 05:35 PM)
are these convos with your brother???

No, man. Just the chips vs. fries vs. chips vs crisps debate. I've had similar conversations with other friends. They get confused because they're only used to American dialect.

And we call the thick-cut ones fries too, Sean. You're such a cigarette. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Sep 28 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #14

suggestive cupcake

Group: Admin
Member No.: 260

One thing that really amazed me - tw*t is pronounced differently. I said it on the phone with Dayan, and he was absolutely confused, but when he said it, I told him he was saying it wrong .. and then we checked with British and American forumites only to find out the vowel is just different.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 28 2004, 07:39 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (syuu @ Sep 28 2004, 03:01 AM)
One thing that really amazed me - tw*t is pronounced differently. I said it on the phone with Dayan, and he was absolutely confused, but when he said it, I told him he was saying it wrong .. and then we checked with British and American forumites only to find out the vowel is just different.

That's weird...so the way Americans say it doesn't rhyme with "cat"? How on Earth do you say it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
helicopter pilot
post Sep 28 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #16

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,171

i'm in new zealand, and we have bits from both american-english and british-english,
but we couldn't be bothered differentiating between fries/crisps/chips so we call them all chips. it's easier.
more american-isms are starting to creep in to peoples speech though.

--------------------
WWSBD?

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Sep 28 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #17

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

One that amuses me and always will is how Fanny means bum in america but something in the wrong area in the UK. Great when my american born cousin comes over and talks about how she "bruised her fanny".

*immature giggle*

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Sep 28 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #18

Tw*t is pronounced with an 'ah' sound. Almost like watt as in lightbulb.

--------------------

+Quote Post
smallcuteanddead...
post Sep 28 2004, 03:29 PM
Post #19

Gone insane, be back soon!

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,279

I've been sat here for five minutes or so trying to say it with the American accent. I physically can't do it.

I used to get accused of faking an American accent at school. It wasn't intentional. It was a Dutch accent. But that led to some funny conversations once people twigged.

I had a funny incedent a few weeks ago when my 2 year old (who speaks Dutch) was asking my boyfriend for a peanut butter sandwich. The Dutch word for it is pinda-kaas. Literal translation is peanut cheese. He picked up on the cheese but failed to see what peanuts had to do with sandwiches. It was funny watching them trying to get accross to each other what it was they wanted. The 2 year old was saying it all very slowly and very loudly, with a facial expression that clearly said "You're a bit dense really, aren't you" . I would've helped but I could hardly breathe for laughing.

Since then she's developed her verbal skills a little and now asks him for penguin cheese sandwiches...

--------------------
Gratefully adopted by Silver Star Angel of Da Towers(Good cake hon)
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Sep 28 2004, 04:03 PM
Post #20

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Effingpot is a humourous English-American dictionary. It's a funny read, going both ways.

Although that is a good website it is a little outdated in places.

For example number plates now have a different format to the one he describes

This post has been edited by snoo: Sep 28 2004, 04:04 PM

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Pab
post Sep 28 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #21

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

QUOTE (Ashbless @ Sep 28 2004, 02:11 PM)
Tw*t is pronounced with an 'ah' sound.  Almost like watt as in lightbulb.

wha .. b .. you .. say ... buh .. WHAT?!?!? ... I ... but ...

*is speachless*

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Sep 28 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #22

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

*Snigger*

"Twot". That's funny.

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Sep 28 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #23

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

Try asking the average American what 'bugger' means.

The guy who wrote Buffy the vampire slayer though it was a mild english curse word like 'drat' or 'darn', and included it in more that a few of Giles' lines. Then wondered why the BBC were so insistant on being able to sound-edit the show for the 6pm slot!

Another fun one to mark the difference between the UK and a lot of other places. The UK is one of the few places where buildings have a ground floor, then 1,2,3,4,etc... The USA and quite a few other places such as Japan start at the 1st floor and go up.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Sep 29 2004, 01:57 AM
Post #24

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Try asking the average American what 'bugger' means.

The guy who wrote Buffy the vampire slayer though it was a mild english curse word like 'drat' or 'darn',

Correct me please... tongue.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Sep 29 2004, 04:14 AM
Post #25

There is also the amusing UK word 'rubber' for an eraser. A rubber in Canada is a condom. So you may or may not want to ask the cute girl beside you for a rubber in class.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 05:32 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!