IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When Is A Dream A "nightmare"..., What if it's scary...but not?
altehase
post Oct 1 2004, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Patron Saint Of All Mediocrities

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,018

This post was started due to my last post under the "What Muppet are You?". I went into detail about a recent dream I had. For all intents and purposes, it should've scared the crap outta me. But it didn't. I actually haven't had a "nightmare" since I was a kid. I've had though, since then, dreams that were "kinda" scary but in which failed to actually frighten me. Like the one from about a year ago in which I was going to hell. No joke. I mean, the devil was there and everything. People were dying, we were ALL supposed to die. It was as freakish as it gets. But, I wasn't scared. It ended up being kinda cool. I mean, it was neat! I'm glad I had it. Not that I wish to go to hell mind you, but the detail of what I remember was incredible.

Oh, by the way, if anyone wants the total and complete dream and every strange detail, just request it here or email me. The one above that is.

These dreams I have, not the weird ones but the so-called "nightmares", are not very common. But when they happen, it's quite the mystery. It's like, I don't let them scare me. They should though because the subject matter is straight outta any given horror movie. Which, by the way, DO scare me from time to time.

I do dream in color and my dreams are quite long and drawn out. Many take place in the same location and sometimes end up being a continunce of a previous dream. But I never have the exact same dream over again. Same place, same "time frame" if you will, but never a repeat. Some have been so freaken real that when I remember them days later, I have to stop and think, did it really happen? I remember dreams from years ago as if they really DID happen. Like any other memory.

Also, if I may ad, that I usually remember my dreams almost every time I get up. Which is usually the dream one is experiencing right before one DOES wake up. Though that is no secret. I suspect I'm not alone when it comes to dreams that are scary but don't actually scare. If anyone has any interesting comparisons, I'd love to hear them. Please post them if possible.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Oct 1 2004, 10:34 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

A dream arousing feelings of intense fear, horror, and distress.

So...unless it skurred you, it won't a nightmare. At least, not by your standards. Everyone's different.

+Quote Post
helicopter pilot
post Oct 1 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #3

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,171

lucky. those dreams sound fun. i have been having lots of almost-nightmares lately - i wake up terrified, but not knowing what of!

--------------------
WWSBD?

+Quote Post
The.Wheezing.Gho...
post Oct 1 2004, 12:35 PM
Post #4

Sex can wait...MASTURBATE

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 443

I do the same thing, or I used to. But but as of recently I'll wake up terrified and crying and then remember later..."wait was that dream about a small white bunny?" huh.gif

--------------------
Wyatt: Gary, by the way, why are we wearing bras on our heads?
Gary: Ceremonial.

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Oct 1 2004, 02:29 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 374

QUOTE (The.Wheezing.Ghost @ Oct 1 2004, 08:35 AM)
I do the same thing, or I used to. But but as of recently I'll wake up terrified and crying and then remember later..."wait was that dream about a small white bunny?"  huh.gif

Sounds like you've been watching too much Monty Python.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 1 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #6

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

Hooray for dreams!

I used to be majorly into dreams and dreaming - both the psychological and physiological aspects of it. I would still be into it all if it wasn't for the fact that I just don't seem to have the time anymore. I used to write down all of my dreams, and I've got three or four folders full of them. When you start trying to remember dreams, or have a dream that you do remember and therefore makes you think about what you dream, you start remembering more of them.

I used to wake up most mornings with five dreams in my head, some of them epic in size, others fairly brief. And I would write the lot of them down. If I didn't have time in the morning, I would write down some keywords and this would be enough to jog my memory in the evening so I could start scribbling the whole saga down.

altehase:
I have to stop and think, did it really happen? I remember dreams from years ago as if they really DID happen. Like any other memory.

I've had that quite a few times. I've often suddenly remembered a dream from the previous night, or even from weeks ago that I had forgotten, and I remember it suddenly during the day and have to stop what I'm doing for a second to run it through my brain to work out whether it happened or not.

I often wake up from fabulously good dreams, and find myself deeply dissapointed that they are not real - and that puts me on a massive downer for the day.

I've not had proper nightmares for a while but then, like I say, I've not really tried to remember my dreams much at all recently. I used to have nightmares quite a lot when i was younger. Real, wake-up-screaming ones. And about 4 or 5 years ago I was having them fairly regularly. I think it has been about 3 years since my last one.

Like yourself, altehase, I have some dreams that really should wake me up in a panic, but I just dream through and come out the other side without so much as a squeal. These are often more disturbing that the ones that do wake me up.

I could talk about dreaming forever...

+Quote Post
altehase
post Oct 1 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #7

Patron Saint Of All Mediocrities

Member No.: 1,018

Thanks Hobbes! Much appreciation goes out to you. I figured I wasn't totaly unique when it came to complicating "dream aspects". When asked, most people I talk with anyways, individuals tell me that they simply don't remember their dreams anymore. Or at least never try to. I believe you are correct when you say you don't have the time anymore for such intense thought process concerning dreams. As we get older we take on more responsibilities. We honestly don't have the time we once had. This seriously has to alter not only the dreams themselves but how we perceive them afterwards.

I've always said I should start writing them down as the years go by. I really wish I had. I used to tell friends and whoever about my dreams. Just because they were so intense, I felt I had to get them off my chest. Plus I love story telling and my dreams often play out like some sort of crazy film. I've never minded being complete and thorough when it came to going into detail. I believe more people should do this.

If anyone else out there has ANYTHING more to ad concerning this discussion, please let me know. Please post. Even if it's a simple reply. Lets hear more examples of "almost nightmares". When I get a chance, I'll go into detail about the "Hell" dream.

+Quote Post
Xkitsurabamix
post Oct 1 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #8

Animal of manual life

Member No.: 1,220

I have very vivid, very disturbing dreams.
i think i might have posted something about this, but i don't think i went into detail and i think i omitted some things for public viewing. now, remember, this is all in my dream, and it's not meant to offend anybody. flame me at Collidescopelady@yahoo.com, if you must.

I was swimming in a pool with some other people at this two-story country house surrounded by some crops, and i kept seeing shadows hovering above me. after a while, i look up, and i see some cars floating up in the air. all of a sudden, they start falling down, almost landing on me. I kept having to swim away, and they kept falling not only in the pool, but from what i could see, all around the town. i was climbing over cars once they had piled high enough in the pool, still dodjing them. i finally got out, and they seemed to stop. I went over and talked to some people who were playing teatherball, and i look up for some reason, and i see a bunch of buildings high up in the sky, kind of in a grid-pattern. they started falling, one by one, down on the whole entire town. i suddenly realize all of the 'buildings' are actually churches, and everyone at the country house kept having to run for shelter from the falling churches. We take refuge in a church that was still on the ground, and me and this guy started talking to these little kids. all of a sudden, the guy notices that the church is separating from the ground, so we run like hell out of it, and i tumble onto the ground as it raises up. after a while, the buildings stop falling, even though a few were still scattered in the sky above the town, and we start talking. i notice an odd feeling, and a tall man by the porch tells me that i'm pregnant with the second coming. i look down, and indeed, my tummy had swollen to enormous proportions, and i noticed that strawberry syrup was pouring down my legs. strawberries kept pouring out of me, at first in slices, then whole strawberies, then strawberries bigger than my head. for some reason, i am petrified people will think i was sleeping around and that's how i got pregnant, so i have an abortion, though that section wasn't really covered in my dream...just kind of, glanced over.

so...there it is. i aborted the second coming.
I'm...wierd.

--------------------
user posted image
"Savior" isn't the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind.

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Oct 1 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #9

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

I never get scared in dreams anymore. I can have dreams where I'm about to die, and I'm like.. "oh"

I try to write down my dreams cos I find them interesting, but normally I'm too lazy. I cant remember much of them recently either as I haven't been sleeping well. sad.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Oct 2 2004, 06:51 PM
Post #10

: P>

Member No.: 991

I've never really had scary dreams but lots of very weird ones, like my life but with everything twisted, absurd things that seem to make sense in dream logic. I don't usually remember them for more than a few seconds but there is usually something great happening in the dream, nearly always just before I wake up, which (like hobbes said) makes a real downer when you wake up and its not real.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 2 2004, 07:57 PM
Post #11

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

Recurring nightmares I've had (I will try to keep them brief):

Weetabix Dog
Approximate Age: 8
Conditions: Slightly Ill
It is night-time and thus it is dark outside. I am standing in the conservatory in front of the back door. There's a large dog outside, a rottweiler or something, scrabbling at the door like mad, trying to get in; snarling, growling, and slobbering all up the glass. I manage to get my legs working, and run into the kitchen...

- That's the lot for that one. As for Weetabix dog, I don't remember. It was a name I gave the animal when I was little, but I don't know why. I think the first times I dreamt it, there was a box of Weetabix in the kitchen that just stuck in my mind - but I'm not certain.

Black-Bird Pigeon
Approximate Age: 8
Conditions: n/a
I am lying on my bed, but I sit up to look out the window. The sky has a 'nuclear' look to it, that mix of colours which you sometimes get in the evening, but looks as though there's been some kind of massive chemical explosion somewhere. The view zooms across the sky to focus on a large bird, flying towards the house. It is pigeon-like in shape, only larger, and is black (hence the name). It comes in my room, and I lie on my front on the bed, my fists clenched and below my eyes. It starts pecking on my neck...

I've had variations to this one, where I am in the living room, and I hide behind the sofa when it starts coming in.

There is also one particular instance of this dream where I see it coming in my dream, but I wake up and run into my mum's room. I ask her what to do, and she tells me to cover my eyes and lie face down, so I go back and do it. And I feel the pecking on my neck. Now, I swear I was awake, but my mother doesn't remember it very well - but then she often forgets 2am conversations.

BUT... the main, most important aspect about this dream is this: My sister and I would always have this dream at the same time. The next morning, if I'd had the dream, so would have my sister. And vice versa. Spooky, huh?

Bed Sitter
Approximate Age: 8-16
Conditions: n/a
This is a typical case of sleep paralysis/dreaming. I would wake up in the night, lying on my side, but I would not be able to move my legs. It would feel as though something was sitting on my bed, on my legs - preventing me from moving. The wall in front of me would show a large shadow of a figure. Eventually, I'd manage to move and would run out of my room.

For those who don't know, sleep paralysis happens to a lot of people and it is essentially where you partially wake up, but your body isn't fully out of dreaming-mode so is unable to move, and often your brain is still working overtime, coming up with weird ideas. A lot of people think someone is in the room with them, or in the house, and find that they are unable to scream or get out of bed. Pretty terrifying, especially when you don't realise what's happening.

Orchard
Approximate Age: 8-12
Conditions: Feverish
The lasts for just seconds. The view is above an orchard. The 'camera' starts sweeping down towards it, and then is amongst the rows and lanes of trees. It speeds up, faster and faster until there is a figure in the distance. Then suddenly I am upon it. I wake up.

I think that's enough for now smile.gif

+Quote Post
El Nino
post Oct 11 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #12

I pull the wings off god

Member No.: 1,340

It's not a nightmare but it's related. I used to get this reccurring dream of where Id find myself at the top of a really tall building and just jump off for some reason and then when I was near the bottom of the fall Id swoop upward and start flying I didn't get it but it felt great

--------------------
Please try to remember, when reading my posts, that I've probably not watched the same films & tv shows as you. I try not to watch music vids & I've also probably not even heard about them from other people. Man to woman "If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong!"/She's all lips & hips, she knows how to use them to make you flip//Liquor store & gun store, next to one another, with only one purpose, so you all kill each other,//Member of the pro cath association // Froggys' sugar-e-daddy//You can't spell politics without tics/[b]/Note to self: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = human stupidity.Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the females (not shemales).

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Oct 11 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #13

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

For those who don't know, sleep paralysis happens to a lot of people and it is essentially where you partially wake up, but your body isn't fully out of dreaming-mode so is unable to move, and often your brain is still working overtime, coming up with weird ideas. A lot of people think someone is in the room with them, or in the house, and find that they are unable to scream or get out of bed. Pretty terrifying, especially when you don't realise what's happening.

I hate that! It used to happen to me a lot a couple years ago, except instead of my legs I always managed to wake up with my face on the pillow and I can't move to breathe. Most of the nightmares I've had have to do with not being able to breath (prolly because I had sleep apnea and wasn't). heh

I too have had a lot of rather disturbing dreams that I still wouldn't call nightmares. Most of my dreams are extremely bizarre, so if I bothered being frightened by all of them I'd never sleep. Although I've had nightmares recently, the ones I really hate are the vivid psuedo-reality dreams, when you have no idea that it's not acutally happening (is it?). Normally those have to do with seeing people I miss, or going back and changing something, or wotnot. It's really bitter to wake up.

Then I mix up dreams and "reality" quite a lot, and I get flashbacks during the day. I still have memories that I can't say whether they actually happened or not.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Oct 11 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Incapable of normal thought

Member No.: 1,344

I used to dream, when I was about 4 or 5, that I was sleepwalking and that nobody believed me when I told them I was asleep. I absolutely vitally had to wake up (I don't know why but I know that I did have to) and somebody else had to wake me up but because nobody believed that I was asleep nobody would wake me up... and the dream went on for ages and I always woke up really scared that I was actually asleep and it only felt like I was awake...

Sorry if that was confusing but I thought I'd make my contribution!

I also dreamt once that I only had one arm, and when I woke up I found that the whole of my left arm had gone numb because I was lying on it!

--------------------
Official Beanbag-monger for TRIBE WYVERN (Visit us here!)
VOTE MR SB FOR FAVOURITE ANIMATION! (Go here to vote!)
--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--
Proud owner of a Violet Scuttler from the Tribe Wyvern lab. Not for rental or resale.
Mata loves us, this we know. Because the forums tell us so. All our souls to him belong. We are weak but he is strong
Always read the small print. You never know what it might say. You're leaving your brain open to subliminal messages. Being paranoid is good.

+Quote Post
The.Wheezing.Gho...
post Oct 11 2004, 04:26 PM
Post #15

Sex can wait...MASTURBATE

Member No.: 443

Ooo! Ooo! *Whips out handy dandy dream books* I can look up what some of your dreams mean. Now, I should warn you that my book often likes to relate back to sex, except of course sex itself, which has nothing to do with sex. So is anyone interested in elaborating a bit more on some of their nightmares?

(2,994)

--------------------
Wyatt: Gary, by the way, why are we wearing bras on our heads?
Gary: Ceremonial.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 04:43 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!