IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Someone Knock Some Sense Into Me., Please, it's for my own good.
arachnidoc17
post Oct 1 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #1

Entomophobic

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,231

All resolved

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir Maxerpopple
post Oct 1 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #2

Is conformity, consumption, and obedience really that bad?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 644

Clouds don't escape into outer space, the ozone layer doesn't keep clouds in. Tell him he needs to shut up.

--------------------
Still around, just lurking.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 1 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #3

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

The only thing holes in the ozone layer do is let in UV rays which means more risk of cancer. No barren deserts or dried up ocians need apply.

Have him pull his head out of his ass and slap him in the face.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Oct 2 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #4

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

Okay, your friend has SOME parts right. Global warming CAN turn the world into a barren desert with no water anywhere. But not the way he's talking about. Venus is our model for the greenhouse effect. It's barren on the surface, but there are clouds. Trouble is, there's no ozone layer to protect the planet from UV rays and the clouds only hold acid rain.

Now, when your friend says that it will kill YOU all, that's one part where he's dead wrong. The earth is only warming at less than 1/7th of a degree every ten years, or some such rediculously small number like that. Global warming won't kill US, but it MIGHT kill our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandkids. While this number can go up, it most likely won't, what with all the measures people are taking these days to avert global warming.

Also, the clouds don't get sucked into outer space when the ozone layer is gone. The ozone layer only protects us from UV rays, like Ri said. Gravity holds the clouds and all the atmosphere to the earth. Your friend obviously needs to take a physics class.

Now, what I would do is research this a little bit more. Google it. Don't just rely on us. I know that I don't have all the information. Then when he starts spouting off all this babble about how the clouds are going to be sucked out into outer space, you refute him. Make it into an intelligent conversation instead of just a depressing rant-fest. Make him find ways to PROVE that his idea is going to happen. Maybe that will shake him out of his depression a bit. Don't just let him do nothing but elaborate on crazy theories like this.

Your friend DEFFINITELY needs a hobby, and the best way to find him one is to get him into something he's already interested in. Heck, if he's so interested in death, get him to look at the Darwin Awards. If he's so set on crazy people, start up a conversation about who's the craziest person ever. DON'T just let him wallow in this, make him have to WORK.

Now....if you want scary, think of all the nukes that America and the rest of the world have. And look at all the countries that have them who are having tensions with other countries that have them... Say, like India and Pakistan. They're fighting over Cashmire (pardon me if the spelling is bad). They both say that they won't START a nuclear war, but that they WILL finish one. Now take one terrorist with a nuke and lob the thing into one of those countries. Next thing you know, they're nuking each other back and forth with no intention of stopping until the other is destroyed. And just watch, the rest of the world just won't be able to keep from sticking their noses in it. Next thing you know, the entire world is at war with weapons that can destroy the entire world and all the life on it. No, global warming won't kill us all, but nuclear winter can and will, and it's much more likely. People don't just stockpile weapons for long, eventually they use them....

Do you want to know why this doesn't depress me? Because I can't do anything to change it yet. It's out of my hands. I can't run for president and change our nuclear weapons policy until 2020. And besides, I'm fat. If nuclear winter hits, I WILL survive longer than all the little twiggy idiots out there who are nothing but skin and bones! tongue.gif

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
cait
post Oct 2 2004, 02:48 AM
Post #5

Social Introvert, Sporatic Poster

Member No.: 747

*giggles*

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Oct 2 2004, 03:29 AM
Post #6

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Your friend is a moron. Plain and simple - outside the angst whoreness of it, he's disgustingly misinformed. Not only can clouds not leave earth's atmosphere (ever hear of a little thing called GRAVITY?!) but damn, there is no proof that global warming actually exists (yes, there is evidence and logically, it's happening, but there is no hardcore proof) and even if it is happening, it'll take years for the whole deal to work.

In short, your friend should slap himself for his stupidity.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 2 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #7

Shut up, noob!

Interestingly enough, Mick, I read an article a while ago (as in when I was still in high school) where the scientists found evidence that it was generally warmer in the Middle Ages than today and that the excess CO2 in the atmosphere is actually making the world greener by feeding plants.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Oct 2 2004, 03:31 PM
Post #8

Heh. I believe I read that same (or if not, one very similar) in a research paper on global warming I had to do a year or two back.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
atom842
post Oct 4 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #9

That's 'Sir Guppy' to you

Member No.: 1,338

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Oct 2 2004, 09:31 AM)
Heh.  I believe I read that same (or if not, one very similar) in a research paper on global warming I had to do a year or two back.

I believe that article was written by a very covert ultra-right wing, super secret society of Republican Death Squad ninja assassins to convinced the world that global warming is a myth and there is no hole in the ozone layer. I heavily condone believing everything you read, especially when it's found on the Internet with crude spelling errors and poor syntax; that's how you know it's the goody-good stuff.

--------------------
I feel as though I'm casting my ideas blindly into space,
then sitting by the radar array,
awaiting a reply.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Oct 4 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #10

Lemme guess, atom - you're a Democrat.

And an idiot.

As is, I didn't say what source I got my information from nor my media - way too assume. You know, the whole ass outta you and me. Well, more you, but that's not the point. The article I read was legit, thank you very f*cking much, but this was a while ago. I'll thank you to not accuse me or Ri of that kind of completely sophomoric mistake.

Hell, I'm a moderate with slightly left wing tendencies, but that doesn't mean that I dismiss anything that doesn't agree with Democratic politics. But really, feel free to believe that left wing politics don't have biased articles.

...Moron.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
Twitching
post Oct 5 2004, 01:24 AM
Post #11

like peppermint aftertaste

Member No.: 714

Tell your friend he's got marshmellow fluff between his ears. Any doomsday theorist worth thier salt knows that we're all going to drown when global warming melts the polar ice caps. biggrin.gif

Or you could just duct tape his mouth shut.
Or buy ear plugs. laugh.gif

--------------------
Medae is my n00b!

Oink!

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 6 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #12

Shut up, noob!

That really is so sad, Doc...

And thanks for the whole sticking-up, Mick. I got it from a news site that carefully selects and investigates its scources/articles/columns. I've mentioned it before. It's calledStrike the Root. Atom, why don't you go on the site, check it out then e-mail the owner/editor-in-chief and tell him he believes everything he reads or accuse him of having content that has crude spelling errors and poor syntax. See what that gets you.

Interesting point about STR, I've submitted several really good columns and Rob has denied all of them saying, "It's really good, but isn't STR quality. Sorry."

And what does the rain forest have to do with the water cycle? It can't be stopped. You'd have to bottle up every drop of water on the Earth to stop it.

I still think he needs a good slap in the face.

--------------------

+Quote Post
atom842
post Oct 7 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #13

Please accept my humblest apology for offending your sensibilities. I mistakenly quoted you in my reply, apparently a poor effort at a bit of humor. No, I'm not a Democrat, nor am I Republican. I simply decide my vote on how each candidate stands on issues that are important to me over political affiliation.
As per global warming, I was making light of the fact that the party line for right-leaning pundits and ideologues is to dismiss the whole issue of global warming as though it were a joke. Too often our planet's health is disregarded in the name of increasing profit margins and personal wealth. This is at the expense of people now and generations to come.

--------------------
awaiting a reply.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Oct 8 2004, 02:08 AM
Post #14

I tip my hat. Atom, you're a class act. Apology accepted, and I extend mine. The problem is simply that I don't know you and thus cannot judge your humor yet. Time will rectify that - however, your joke was a bit off... it came across a little more "hating Republicans for the sake of hating Republicans and hey! I'm Indie!" for my taste. Gotta have a nice balance, baby.

Anyway. Cheers, mate.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
atom842
post Oct 9 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #15

Don't mind it a bit. My wife has known me for almost 8 years and still doesn't understand my humor. Maybe it's me.

--------------------
awaiting a reply.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Oct 10 2004, 11:27 AM
Post #16

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

Don't worry Atom, your humor was quite apparent to me. It's just that we've had a rash of _really_ inappropriate posters recently. If you don't believe me, just look up the poster -Kurt and look at his threads and posts...

On a brighter note, welcome to the forums! Laugh, chat, have a ball! And don't mind it when someone catches you and duct tapes you to the ceiling as a newb! rolleyes.gif And hey, as long as one of your first threads doesn't say "You are cock", you're already much more welcome than the aforementioned -Kurt!

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 10 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #17

Shut up, noob!

Yeah, man. Sorry. I kind of just assumed that you were one of the asshole newbies that come through here. My bad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
atom842
post Oct 11 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #18

Not a big deal on my end. I appreciate the response though.

I've never called anyone "cock". For some reason, that's just never occured to me.

Back to the original bad joke, does anyone ever listen to Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity? I find it's like driving past a bad car wreck; you don't want to look, but you have some uncontrollable thirst that must be satisfied. Maybe that thirst is for outright lies... I hear that Al Franken et al. go through the same tired galvanizing routines on Air America, but my Volvo has no number display on the radio, so I don't risk changing or I may never find anything ever again...
Why don't moderates or independent thinkers have politically themed talk shows? Am I mistaken in thinking that most of the legislation gets passed mostly in the middle of the road (with the exception of the USA PATRIOT Act, parts I & II)?

--------------------
awaiting a reply.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 12:10 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!