IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fancy A Trip To Space?, and I don't mean the welsh puppykicker.
Ashbless
post Oct 4 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

SpaceShipOne wins X Prize for trip into space
The U.S.-built SpaceShipOne has beaten two Canadian teams to win the coveted $10 million US Ansari X Prize, after a successful second blast into space.   

So, affordable space travel in our lifetime. What are people's thoughts?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pab
post Oct 4 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #2

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

I think I want links

I read a book that said NASA had spent $800,000 develloping a ballpoint pen that would write in 0 gravity when a pencil would work just as well. I know its nit-pickable, but it does illustrate a point.

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Oct 4 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #3

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

QUOTE (Pab @ Oct 4 2004, 10:13 PM)
I read a book that said NASA had spent $800,000 develloping a ballpoint pen that would write in 0 gravity when a pencil would work just as well. I know its nit-pickable, but it does illustrate a point.

Yeah, I heard that one too. I think the pen could write on absolutely _anything_ though - any surface, and in a huge range of temperatures and conditions, and it didn't need sharpening (sharpenings are pretty dangerous in Space). So it wasn't such a waste of money, but $800,000 is probably excessive. I just hope that the technology developed can be applied elsewhere.

+Quote Post
Wetflame
post Oct 5 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #4

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,337

Wait a second... you can use a pen upside down, so why can't you use it in zero g?

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Oct 5 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #5

Linky goodness:

http://news.google.ca/news?q=SpaceShipOne&...tab=nn&oi=newsr

http://www.xprize.org

As for the pen it's possible. The reason things would need extra design is no gravity.

--------------------

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Oct 5 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #6

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

The pen?

http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/004840.html

No.

Yes, it was invented, but you can still use a normal pen..

+Quote Post
sjbbandgeek
post Oct 5 2004, 03:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 618

I heard the winning team was funded by a co founder of microsoft.
10 mil isn't very much when it comes to space travel.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Oct 5 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #8

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

QUOTE (sjbbandgeek @ Oct 5 2004, 04:15 AM)
I heard the winning team was funded by a co founder of microsoft.
10 mil isn't very much when it comes to space travel.

Yeah, Paul Allen. He's known in his home town of Seattle for spending buttloads of money on bizarre projects, often for the public good. The Seattle Experience Music Project is a bonkers building...see picture links below. He's a bit of a celebrity in Seattle.

Pic 1

Pic 2

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Oct 7 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #9

I think it was attempted for the glory of it.

However, the point was that it may bring space travel closer to being possible for the average person. Do you think that it's possible or even something people may want?

--------------------

+Quote Post
FishFace
post Oct 7 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #10

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,346

The English team was StarChaser - we all think it's pretty mean that it's a private venture, but that Scaled Composites got Microsoftie funding. While we had to scrabble for cash!
(They bought the prize, effectively)

Oh, well - there's presumably plently of room for different companies in the business, so hopefully StarChaser will still be able to have a go. Plus the opportunity of more competitions similar to the X Prize.

--------------------
--

·=FishFace=·
The C@ S@ on the M@

+Quote Post
Pab
post Oct 7 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #11

My only problem with space travel is that we just ain't gonna be able to go anywhere that's any use ... I mean ... let us not fool ourselves that the time will come when we all move to another planet, cos it aint gonna happen ... and I have yet to hear of propulsion that can even 'one day' get us anywhere in any practical time-scale. I didn't used to think like this, but I do now. :·(

--------------------

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Oct 7 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #12

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

QUOTE (Pab @ Oct 7 2004, 10:57 PM)
My only problem with space travel is that we just ain't gonna be able to go anywhere that's any use ... I mean ... let us not fool ourselves that the time will come when we all move to another planet, cos it aint gonna happen ... and I have yet to hear of propulsion that can even 'one day' get us anywhere in any practical time-scale. I didn't used to think like this, but I do now. :·(

You remind me of the man who said, in the 1930's I believe, that there was nothing left to be invented...

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Pab
post Oct 7 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #13

I know what you mean, and I hope i get quoted ... but mate ... there are some interestingly difficult barriers to break .. things with the word 'quantum' and stuff ...

JONMAN : speak to us

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Oct 8 2004, 04:25 AM
Post #14

The fact that it takes months/years to get to anything in the solar system perhaps? Never mind outside our little system.
The bits we can get to have troubles like a lack of proper gravity, air, water and food. These little lacks do make 'em a trifle unattractive as vacation spots but hey why not try to go anyway?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Oct 8 2004, 06:30 AM
Post #15

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

QUOTE (Pab @ Oct 7 2004, 11:39 PM)
I know what you mean, and I hope i get quoted ... but mate ... there are some interestingly difficult barriers to break .. things with the word 'quantum' and stuff ...

JONMAN : speak to us

Alright then.

I'm answering because Pab begged me to. Apparently, he thinks I'm Richard Branson combined with the bastard lovechild of Steven Hawking and Buzz Aldrin. Which, of course, I am, but keep it to yourselves. I also work with very mundane propulsion systems, and read too much sci-fi, which qualifies me to sound like I know what I'm talking about, without really having a clue.

So, first issue. Conventional linear travel (i.e. no space-time bendy nonsense) has some limitations. Let's assume that we had a space vessel which could take 10 passengers around in space (not an implausible idea). Let's imagine a propulsion system that's efficient, safe and reliable. Solar sails are a spacetravel buzzword at the moment - they're a big surface which essentially uses the force of photons (tiny wee chunks of light even smaller than M&Ms) hitting it to push the craft along, much like a sail (hence the name). While on the one hand, it's 'free' propulsion, i.e. requires no fuel, it's bloody slow to accelerate. So for the purposes of sending humans anywhere within their own lifetime, useless.

So, what about something a bit more 'active'? Ion drives, which work on the same theory as a rocket, but waaaay more efficiently, may be possible. However, we run into the fundamental problem here. Acceleration. The closest star to Sol is Proxima Centauri, which is 39,900,000,000,000 km away. A suitable acceleration for an interstellar craft over a long period would be around 1g (~9.8 m/s/s , for argument's sake, let's call it 10m/s/s). This would also conveniently provide an Earth-like gravity for our travellers. However, this acceleration could only be sustained for half the distance, as you're going to need to turn around and start decelerating at the same rate so you're not doing an appreciable fraction of the speed of light by the time you arrive at your destination.

The problem lies in the fact that it's going to take you a very very very long time to get to your destination. We're talking decades, if not longer (can't be bothered to do the math and figure out an actual number). One factor to consider is the relativistic effects though - as the vessel reaches speeds close to the speed of light, thanks to very complex physics that I really don't have a clue about (blame Einstein), time aboard the vessel will actually slow down, so the crew will experience less time. So, subjectively, the journey would be appreciably shortened for them, maybe down to the order of 20 years (picking a number out of the air). And then the same amount for the journey home. It's pretty mental.
Still, there's an enormous amount of logistical problems. Fuel for the propulsion system, provisions for the crew, life support, reliability of hardware (and software for that matter) over a long period of time, exposure to cosmic radiation out in between the stars - there's an awful lot of limiting factors.

Suggested reading on this topic - Titan, by Stephen Baxter, and The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell - both deal with innovative solutions to these problems in the context of a sci-fi story. Both deal as well with a further and perhaps more fundamental problem - the psychological impact of such a journey. Going all that way would be no good if by the time you got there, all the travellers are raving loons.

The more feasible solution lies in the more exotic realms of physics. Now we're talking about bending spacetime and wormholes and all that hoo-haa. If I remember it right, spacetime is a stretchy rubber piece of 4 dimensional paper. No, honestly, it is. Planets and anything with mass is a ballbearing you drop onto the paper, which distort the surface of spacetime. It's theoretically concievable that you could somehow influence spacetime to bend sufficiently so that your piece of paper 'folds', so that two areas of the paper that used to be distant (think oppposite edges) are now touching. You jump from one to the other, then release spacetime back to it's original state. Bad-a-bing, it's a form of teleport, or hyperspace or whatever nonsense word you want to use to describe it. The mechanism by which you'd need to do this might involve momentarily creating a black hole (which is a stupidly massive thing in a stupidly small space - the stupidly high mass-density causes the rubberness of spacetime to distort a stupidly massive amount, and.... 'beam-me-up'), which has problems of its own. Like destroying everything within a thousand miles of it. The kind of technology to reliably and sustainably achieve this isn't even a twinkling in the imagination of Mr Branson himself yet. But maybe one day.

So, having poo-poo'd the whole idea, the light at the end of the tunnel lies in the incredible rate of progression of scientific knowledge, and technological know-how. Sure, it's mindbogglingly impossible to attempt such an undertaking now, but look back a hundred years - as the chapter of Victorian society closed, less than 10 years after Marconi thought it would be a good idea to invent radio, who really though that in 68 years, a man would be falling over on the moon and talking through the same intagible medium to a bunch of men back on the ground?

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Oct 8 2004, 11:44 AM
Post #16

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

It's semi-OT, but am I the only one worried by the fact the rubber sheet analogy for gravity and space time and suchlike requires some kinda meta-gravity to pull the ball bearings down to cause the depressions in the rubber sheet and to cause the ball bearings to roll into them...blink.gif

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
FishFace
post Oct 8 2004, 02:42 PM
Post #17

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,346

The problem is that the ball on sheet idea is for two spacial dimensions, with the vertical (stretch of the rubber) being time. In reality, there're three spacial dimensions, but it's hard to imagine how this + the fourth (time) warps, because we're built to visualise three dimensions.

--------------------
--

·=FishFace=·
The C@ S@ on the M@

+Quote Post
El Nino
post Oct 8 2004, 05:14 PM
Post #18

I pull the wings off god

Member No.: 1,340

Well I say that if the moon landings were faked then this is just a ploy by NASA to get some more interest and money out of people but if it's true I'd like to go if it actually happens in my life time purely for the experience.

--------------------
Please try to remember, when reading my posts, that I've probably not watched the same films & tv shows as you. I try not to watch music vids & I've also probably not even heard about them from other people. Man to woman "If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong!"/She's all lips & hips, she knows how to use them to make you flip//Liquor store & gun store, next to one another, with only one purpose, so you all kill each other,//Member of the pro cath association // Froggys' sugar-e-daddy//You can't spell politics without tics/[b]/Note to self: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = human stupidity.Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the females (not shemales).

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Oct 8 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #19

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

Yeah, I heard that one too. I think the pen could write on absolutely _anything_ though - any surface, and in a huge range of temperatures and conditions, and it didn't need sharpening (sharpenings are pretty dangerous in Space). So it wasn't such a waste of money, but $800,000 is probably excessive. I just hope that the technology developed can be applied elsewhere.

The glossy folding insert here says that it uses pressure, not gravity. I bought one of those pens at Kennedy. And you know what? It's crap. -.-;;

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Oct 10 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #20

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

We are in a way one step closer to faster space travel like Jonman said "ion engines"

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994412

And i always thought that sub orbital flights were faster and and more fuel efficient than standard air flights?. So these home made ships could possibly make it cheaper and faster to get where we are going.

+Quote Post
jexx
post Oct 11 2004, 01:48 PM
Post #21

That's 'Sir Guppy' to you

Member No.: 1,345

i wanna go to space lol

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 01:30 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!