IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calling All Englishmen; Whaddaya Think Of The Us?, our culture, accent, etc. I'm curious!
monosodiumglutem...
post Oct 10 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #1

may contain peanuts

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,342

huh.gif I've been curious for a long time what the other countries and cultures think of us (probably not much thanks to that damned Bush) and especially what our accent sounds like to the Brits and such.

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 10 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #2

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

If your interested in language, go to the "English Language" thread. As for the other stuff, ressurect an old thread.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Oct 10 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #3

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

Wotchit, Ri - you made a spelling mistake there!

Polocrunch: self-declared Defender of the Grammar Faith.

+Quote Post
laenan kite
post Oct 10 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #4

You can't understand...

Member No.: 1,347

*sigh* i realy hate brits.they r mostly snobs, who look down their nose at me.(im british,so i should no)sorry about the grammer, but i jus' cannae help it!

--------------------
In the end, only kindness matters.

And I dont wanna fall in love; this world is always gonna break your heart.

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Oct 10 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Everyone can 'help' that their language is poor. Not all appear to want to, however.

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Oct 10 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #6

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

sigh* i realy hate brits.they r mostly snobs

Yes. We also all drink tea, talk with a very posh accent and have bad teeth. dry.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
laenan kite
post Oct 10 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #7

You can't understand...

QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Oct 10 2004, 06:35 PM)
sigh* i realy hate brits.they r mostly snobs

We also all drink tea,

i h8 t. i have coffee flowing thru my veins tho

--------------------

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
Post #8

Snugglebum, that's the most devastatingly accurate critique of the British that I've ever heard! You are a master of perception.

+Quote Post
laenan kite
Post #9

You can't understand...

my teeth r kinda bad tho lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
laenan kite
post Oct 10 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #10

You can't understand...

snuggles? whatz e-marry?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 10 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #11

Shut up, noob!

Yeah, Polo. I noticed after I posted, but was to lazy to change it.

My aunt is posh and drinks tea. Then again, she's not really English; she's a crazy Welsh woman who changed her accent and claims, like my grandmother, to be English. Their teeth are fine, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Oct 10 2004, 07:21 PM
Post #12

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

we're talkin British here Ri, Wales is part of Great Britain so ner tongue.gif

/spam

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 10 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #13

Shut up, noob!

But she thinks she's English. THat's the part that I'm focusing on. Mainly, I'm just blasting her and my grandmother to feed my dislike of the both of them for being ashamed of their respective lineages, particularly my grandmother because her lineage is my lineage too.

There's nothing wrong with being English, but to call yourself English when you aren't from England because you're ashamed of the fact that you grew up a poor Welsh girl or a poor Jamaican girl of Chinese descent is just looney.

EDIT: Rick and I were just discussing this and I was explaining my case and he said, "I don't give a rat's ass about her." To that, I said, "The reason I take it so personally is because it's my lineage she's ashamed of too." To which he replied, "I am ashamed of my lineage--Grandmama." laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
monosodiumglutem...
post Oct 10 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #14

may contain peanuts

Member No.: 1,342

=^oo^= wow.. this has like not answered anything. yet I shall check out those threads

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Oct 10 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #15

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Okay - on topic.

On the whole my opinion of you Americans has been very limited and to be quite honest it's been supplied by the media.

That being the case, I suppose I've had a rather blinkered opinion.

That has changed a lot recently though. Only because I've had the opportunity to actually talk to real, live Americans!! biggrin.gif I'm reminded that it's about people and not about where you happen to have born.

And, I'm really too drunk to explain myself properly. So rather than just leaving it, I'll post and hope that I don't sound too sh*tfaced. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 10 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #16

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Impressions from visiting America:

Lots of lovely people, and a fair amount of people that I would rather not meet (just like everywhere else in the world).

Demanding of very high levels of service in restaurants, but generally tip well when they get it.

Waiting staff are shocked by English manners because we are not so demanding, which is rather cute.

The homeless are far more media savvy than in the UK, which is rather odd.

Internet access appears to be regarded as a basic human right.

Most American accents sound fairly similar to outsiders, except for really obvious ones like the Deep South and Brooklyn.

Considering how much space America has, there really aren't enough accents to go around. Make up some new ones.

American breakfasts in diners are huge.

Americans are exactly the same as anyone else in the world most of the time.

I'm not surprised American teenagers get very very bored indeed, considering the absolute lack of non-corporate entertainment that seems to exist outside of major cities.

It can be a very long way to the next major city.

Your teeth aren't that much different from those of most people in the UK or anywhere else in the world.

Women in America seem to make more effort with make-up. Or maybe it was just because I was visiting San Francisco at the end of the summer so most people had a tan which made them look like they'd been making more effort.

Your pretentious goths are possibly even more pretentious than ours.

You have more pretentious goths.

Americans have just as many smart people as anywhere else in the world.

From seeing Americans on TV and in the media (this is a very different story):

Stupid Americans shout louder than smart Americans and make more 'entertaining' (AKA 'road crash') subjects for the media.

Americans are brash, arrogant, demanding, impatient, and stupid, or at least this is how most of them appear on television.

It is clear that the founding Americans left at the time when the Puritans were running England. A few decades later the English decided that this was a really very boring way of living, revolted, and put a decadent king back on the throne that made all the fun things legal again. Americans did not do the revolution thing, so got stuck with some very strict religious hangovers.

The love of guns means that you end up shooting or being shot by loved ones. Less guns means less household shootings. Why is this a difficult equation? (You asked for external views of America and this is a very common thought.)

Gay men in America live up to every single stereotype of homosexuals as if portraying a stereotype is a progressive political statement and not a return to 'Are You Being Served?'.

Middle America scares the hell out of everyone in the world because of their utter lack of understanding of America's responsibilities to world peace.

And of course... George W Bush is in actual fact a crudely-rendered, computer-generated monkey puppet with pink skin instead of fur.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
lygophilia
post Oct 11 2004, 03:19 AM
Post #17

Wanted: Meaningful Overnight Relationship

Member No.: 634

QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 10 2004, 05:09 PM)
I'm not surprised American teenagers get very very bored indeed, considering the absolute lack of non-corporate entertainment that seems to exist outside of major cities.
You mean there's more entertainment elsewhere?! ohmy.gif Oh wait, non-corperate entertainment. So that means... Hmm, kind of confused on that one. huh.gif
Americans are brash, arrogant, demanding, impatient, and stupid, or at least this is how most of them appear on television.
If you didn't say that last part, I'd be mad. dry.gif Maybe. I'm not sure if I could be ever be mad at you, Mata, seeing as I worship you. wub.gif
Gay men in America live up to every single stereotype of homosexuals
Hey, they're not all like that.
And of course... George W Bush is in actual fact a crudely-rendered, computer-generated monkey puppet with pink skin instead of fur.
That, however, I agree with completely. biggrin.gif

(Does anyone think I over-use the smilies? I can't help it; they're so adorable. happy.gif)

--------------------
Blog Site DeviantArt
Don't give me that kinkier-than-thou attitude!
If you are feeling good, don't worry. You'll get over it.
Prejudice is wrong; you should hate everyone the same!
We are born naked, wet, and hungry, then things get worse.
Get your mind out of the gutter, you're blocking my periscope!
Some mornings it's just not worth gnawing through the leather straps.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me!
People say that everyone has a few skeletons in their closet, but I don't. Not yet anyway. The bodies are still decomposing.
We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there!

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Oct 11 2004, 03:49 AM
Post #18

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

Ah, yes, George 'Dubya' Bush... Uniting people all over the world... In hatred. We're all SO proud dry.gif .

All together now... 'No more years! No more Years...' laugh.gif

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 11 2004, 04:26 AM
Post #19

Shut up, noob!

Stupid Americans shout louder than smart Americans and make more 'entertaining' (AKA 'road crash') subjects for the media.

Hate to say it, but that's the truth. The newscasters here love to interview either the dumbest idiots or the cutest little kids.

Considering how much space America has, there really aren't enough accents to go around. Make up some new ones.

I blame the New York/California media that makes it more fasionable to have a certain accent. Philadelphia has a nice accent.

The homeless are far more media savvy than in the UK, which is rather odd.

What do you mean by that, Mata?

American breakfasts in diners are huge.

Heh. Yeah.

The US is a weird place. I blame uptight ethnocentricism, a spoiled populace and democracy (please keep your hands away from my throat), but that's just me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Oct 11 2004, 09:48 AM
Post #20

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

Further British perceptions of Americans (being that I spent just under 2 years living in Ohio, California and Washington, and even went as far as to marry one):

The American fascination with British accents is at first endearing, but eventually gets tiresome. I finally understood what it must be like to be a woman with an incredible figure who only possesses leotards - people would just come up to me and start talking to me specifically because I'm English, rather than because they were interested in me.

Echo Mata - there's just as high a proportion of dumb fools in the US as everywhere else. But they not only shout louder, they collect in groups, and shout together. Like the Republican convention ;-p

British people as a rule have little to no concept of the size of the US. We live in a country where you're never more than 60 miles from the coast, and it takes 10 hours to drive from the south to the north (in traffic). The idea of driving for a week in a straight line and still being miles from the sea is utterly incomprehensible.

British people tend to assume that everywhere in America is either ( a ): California, ( b ) Florida, ( c ) New York City, ( d ) Washington DC, or ( e ) a white-trash trailer park in Hicksville. Ask them to tell you anything whatsoever about Wisconsin, and they'll probably guess that it's a brand of soft drink.

America in incredibly more spread-out than the UK. There's an awful lot more open space there than here. And cities tend to be less crowded.

Americans have a much more healthy attitude towards alcohol than we do.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Oct 11 2004, 10:17 AM
Post #21

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

[quote]Internet access appears to be regarded as a basic human right. [/quote]
"Class, this project will require internet research. If you don't have internet at home, there should be enough time for you during the class period to use our computers in the library..."

[quote] Considering how much space America has, there really aren't enough accents to go around. Make up some new ones. [/quote]
Either that, or they're simple, nasty accents. My old choir teacher always said to pretend we were British when we sang because we sounded all the better. [/quote]
[quote]American breakfasts in diners are huge.[/quote]
That depends if you're at a buffet, or a breakfast restaurant ordering a meal that's $10.75 by itself on the menu. One is huge and one is massive, can't remember which is which.

[quote]Your teeth aren't that much different from those of most people in the UK or anywhere else in the world.[/quote]
Mine are; they're terrible...

[quote]Women in America seem to make more effort with make-up. Or maybe it was just because I was visiting San Francisco at the end of the summer so most people had a tan which made them look like they'd been making more effort.[/quote]
I will never understand why my friend's mother has to take an hour for make-up when all she's doing is dropping us off somewhere twenty minutes away and then going home. Never.

[quote]Your pretentious goths are possibly even more pretentious than ours.
You have more pretentious goths.[/quote]
oh yes... who wants to be compared to the girl with the slipknot tee just because you're wearing all black today? not me.

[quote]Americans have just as many smart people as anywhere else in the world.[/quote]
I must be living in a stupid area.

[quote]From seeing Americans on TV and in the media (this is a very different story):

Stupid Americans shout louder than smart Americans and make more 'entertaining' (AKA 'road crash') subjects for the media.[/quote]
And the Americans in the middle sit on the couch and watch and laugh at the stupid people while the smart people, I dunno, do quadratic equations.

[quote]Americans are brash, arrogant, demanding, impatient, and stupid, or at least this is how most of them appear on television.[/quote]
That may or may not be a reason why I don't watch too much TV. wink.gif

[quote]Americans did not do the revolution thing, so got stuck with some very strict religious hangovers.[/quote]
And people like me who don't know what the religious hangovers are, so try not to offend, but don't know what to do, and end up being whopped on the head occasionally when offending.
[quote]The love of guns means that you end up shooting or being shot by loved ones. Less guns means less household shootings. Why is this a difficult equation? (You asked for external views of America and this is a very common thought.)[/quote]
Good question. I am very much in agreement.
[quote]Middle America scares the hell out of everyone in the world because of their utter lack of understanding of America's responsibilities to world peace.[/quote]
I try, but I'm only one upper-middle-American young person.
[quote]And of course... George W Bush is in actual fact a crudely-rendered, computer-generated monkey puppet with pink skin instead of fur.[/quote]
Go tell the rest of the American people that please.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 11 2004, 12:35 PM
Post #22

[quote=lygophilia,Oct 11 2004, 03:19 AM]
[quote=Mata,Oct 10 2004, 05:09 PM]Americans are brash, arrogant, demanding, impatient, and stupid, or at least this is how most of them appear on television.
[/quote]If you didn't say that last part, I'd be mad. dry.gif Maybe. I'm not sure if I could be ever be mad at you, Mata, seeing as I worship you. wub.gif [/quote]
As I said, that is strictly the impression given by viewing America through the imported television shows that we get. Obviously there are things like Jerry Springer, but even characters on shows like Will & Grace really are pretty deplorable, self-centered, and egotistical... And those are supposed to be the lovable and cute ones!

Once again, this is not the impression that you get from visiting America, only from watching the TV shows. Don't forget that most of the world judges America by its television and films, so this incongruity is important to consider. It is such a dominant impression that spans so much of American media that it is hard for people, without actual physical experience of Americans, not to consider it to be true.

[quote][quote]Your teeth aren't that much different from those of most people in the UK or anywhere else in the world.[/quote]
Mine are; they're terrible...[/quote]
Mine aren't particularly well placed, but they are extremely healthy, which is one of the stereotypes about the British.

[quote][quote]Americans have just as many smart people as anywhere else in the world.[/quote]
I must be living in a stupid area.[/quote]
No, there just aren't very many smart people anywhere in the world! biggrin.gif But more to the point, they are no less thinly spread in the US than elsewhere.

[quote][quote]And of course... George W Bush is in actual fact a crudely-rendered, computer-generated monkey puppet with pink skin instead of fur.[/quote]
Go tell the rest of the American people that please.

[/quote][/quote]
I'm trying, believe me.

[quote][quote]The homeless are far more media savvy than in the UK, which is rather odd.[/quote]
What do you mean by that, Mata?[/quote]
I was sitting on a tram in San Francisco. A couple of feet away from me there were two homeless guys chatting. For a start, I can count the number of times I've seen someone who appeared to be homeless on public transport in the UK on one hand... and using only one finger. One of the guys was saying how he had been chucked out of a squat and was now using the internet to find a lawyer who would argue for his right to tenancy. He'd found the squat initially through a website, the other chap has nowhere to stay, so he says to the other homeless man 'Do you have access to the internet?', the other one replies 'Of course.'

Homeless. On public transport. Finding a lawyer. And 'of course' they have internet access.

You really would not see that in the UK.

EDIT: I'm not sure what's up with the quotes onthe board today, sorry about that.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 11 2004, 01:59 PM
Post #23

Shut up, noob!

Okay, that's just weird. Bums in Florida don't have that kind of stuff, though I did once see one with a cell phone (I've seen a lot of homeless people in my day).

Going back to what J-man said, a while back I was telling Commie about my holiday in Orlando and he pointed out that the general consensus there is that Florida is the amusment park of the world. Now that I think about it, it's pretty much like that all over the US, too. Apparently every place in the entire world believes that Florida is just like Orlando, Tampa and Miami when the only places like that in Florida are...Orlando, Tampa and Miami.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 11 2004, 02:28 PM
Post #24

Average person's knowledge of the US:

Texas: very hot. People like guns. Has deserts. Shoot the ground and oil comes out.

Washington: Big statue of Abraham Lincoln. Cleopatra's needle.

Seattle: It rains and people in the markets throw fish at eachother.

San Francisco: Summer of love. A good place for car chases. Possibly people know Alcatraz is there too.

New York: Posh people. Very poor people. Shootings in Harlem. Times Square gets covered in loo roll every new year. Statue of Liberty used to welcome immigrants, now seems a bit ironic considering the current government's attitude to foreigners. Missing two towers and several surrounding buildings.

Deep South (no, generally it isn't more specific): Hicks. Guns. Barmy levels of fanatical religion (but its okay, they're _Christian_ fanatics... unsure.gif ). Jack Daniels is probably made there.

Smallville: Where Superman landed. Lots of fields. Near to Metropolis City.

Gotham City: Lots of crime. Also near to Metropolis.

Florida: Looks a bit like a flaccid... Cucumber on the map. Disneyland. Or Disneyworld. Has a very big aquarium.

New Mexico: Not actually American, but Americans always go there in films. [EDIT- Doh, it is actually American. See what I mean, us UK peeps don't have a clue ] Everyone there lives like it was 120 years ago. All the buildings are dusty looking. People buy drugs there.

Err... That's probably it.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 11 2004, 02:48 PM
Post #25

Shut up, noob!

Just to tell you, the south isn't as bad as people make it out to be. We also don't all smoke Marlboro Reds, chew Copenhagen, have cars on cinder blocks in our front yards and marry our cousins. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. My old boss used to live in Tennessee and there was a town near him where, "Therr wun't much t'choose frum" in the ways of marital partners. Some of my friends smoke Marlboro Reds and I knew some cats in high school who chewed tobacco. I guess the most stereotypical parts of the south are places like Yulee, Callahan and Hilliard, which are towns west of where Aislinn and I live. The farther west you go, the more redneck it gets (shudder).

Though I'm sure for every stereotype there are people to base it off of, even with you UK folks. I'm sure there was, at some point or another, an exposure to some posh, upscale, arrogant Englishman or some crazy drunken Scotsman (one of which I call Granddad).

I once asked my little sister what she though of English folks to see if any stereotypes had infected her mind. Her response was, "I like the way they talk." I was relieved.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:01 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!