Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spamwhores Anonymous
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Polocrunch
Forumites! Are you suffering as closet Spamwhores? Do you wonder if sometimes you might be spamming Matazone to hell? Do you need help identifying the symptons? Or do you perhaps need help escaping from the sleazy world of Spam?

Well, Matazone is here to help! Simply sign yourself up and our expert team of Spam-doctors, trained by the best at the Anti-Spam Academy (also known as the Relevant Posters' Association), will offer you professional help and advice on recovering from this debilitating affliction.

Having trouble telling whether you're a spamwhore or not? Here are some of the symptons:

1) Starting inane threads about Jesus
2) Starting inane threads about a single link
3) Starting inane threads about your day
4) Starting inane threads about NOTHING AT ALL
5) Ending sentences in:
i) "lol"
ii) "kthxbi"
iii) "!!!11!!!!1111"
iv) Anything associated with 1337, Netspeak or txtspk.
6) Starting sentences in lower-case (unless consistent and stylistic, in which case you are interesting and cool and you'd better have a damned good website attached to justify yourself)
7) Starting sentences with "omg"
8) Starting posts with "omg"
9) Starting threads with "omg"
10) Actually, starting anything with "omg"
11) Insulting other posters in an uncivilised, witless way. If you were funny, it would kinda be acceptable
12) Not sticking to the subject of the thread in any forum but Daft (and even then it's iffy)
13) Not sticking to forum conventions of typing and language
14) Not sticking to forum conventions of basic syntax
15) Getting on my tits generally

Please post other suggestions for symptons, guys. We can't help these people enough!
Spacehappy
I would like to say im guilty of...

12) Not sticking to the subject of the thread in any forum but Daft (and even then it's iffy)
13) Not sticking to forum conventions of typing and language
14) Not sticking to forum conventions of basic syntax

Possibly guilty of ...
10) starting anything with "omg"
11) Insulting other posters in an uncivilised, witless way.

Definatly guilty of ..

2) Starting inane threads about a single link

Lol smile.gif
CommieBastard
Surgeon General's Warning

Spamming can lead to severe smackdowns from moderators, including loss of your right to post. Remember, friends don't let friends spam.

I'm CommieBastard, and I approved this message.
Polocrunch
Space, don't worry. You've taken the first bold step on the road to recovery by admitting that you have a problem.

Fortunately, your 'symptons' are fairly mild. We should have you back up to normal posting standards in no time at all. But you should see some of the more serious cases the Association gets. Sheesh...
Mutilation
iii) "!!!11!!!!1111"
iv) Anything associated with 1337
11) Insulting other posters in an uncivilised, witless way.

Why? Banana.
gothictheysay
Well, at least 6 and 12... I've never been told personally to stop spamming, but I used to, a horrific amount of spam too. I daresay I'm getting better at not posting it, but I needed this organization when I was new here. Psh on your late start. tongue.gif
laenan kite
omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!
i do tht!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111!!!!!!!!!
lol
laenan kite
dry.gif ok so maybe i need some help..........
El Nino
Polocrunch, how can we know if we're "Getting on your tits generally"?

And I haven't even got a clue what no. 5 is about
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Polocrunch, how can we know if we're "Getting on your tits generally"?

You'll know. Polo's pretty vocal about that sort of thing. wink.gif tongue.gif
Polocrunch
Yeah. I'll probably start a thread about how big your dick is or something along those lines.
Cath Sparrow
Right I admit to being guilt of number 2) Starting inane threads about a single link. If this is a problem maybe we should get a pinned link posting thread. The reason I do it is cause there isn't anywhere to post links I want to show and it'll also mean it'll be less like that they get duplicated to.
Polocrunch
That sounds like a very fine idea, Cath. Perhaps it could be posted in Daft? Media might be a little too high-brow for some of the stuff we link to.
CommieBastard
Your wish, my command...
Cath Sparrow
Why thank you Kind sir's. tongue.gif
Polocrunch
QUOTE (Cath @ Oct 14 2004, 05:29 PM)
Why thank you Kind sir's. tongue.gif

Your little grammatical mistake reminds me of a thread I saw a couple of months ago. Here it is.

Take a good look at that if you ever have problems with spelling or grammar; the writer is a mod on one of the busiest forums on the Internet (NationStates), so he knows what he's talking about.
Cath Sparrow
You know you Dyslexic 4 year old that would be me! mad.gif I've enough trouble getting the spelling right with out trying to sort out the grammar to! dry.gif
Polocrunch
Thanks for sharing, Cath. Now would you stop hogging the counsellor's attention and let someone else speak?

tongue.gif
gothictheysay
I spy a subserviant Commie! Yay!

Another symptom is a post of a few words and that's it. Like this post without this part. That's really spammy. Spammy spammy spammy. Bad.

By the way, what's a sympton? blink.gif
DoRmAnt
You should add one symptom.

"If you post multiple times in a row in the same thread."

Even if the spamwhore wishes to fix a statement they had made, they should know to use EDIT by now.
Polocrunch
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Oct 15 2004, 12:19 AM)
I spy a subserviant Commie! Yay!

Another symptom is a post of a few words and that's it. Like this post without this part. That's really spammy. Spammy spammy spammy. Bad.

By the way, what's a sympton? blink.gif

An indicator or a sign of something else. So if your sinuses swelled up and you got a cough, you'd be experiencing some of the symptoms of the common cold. Equally, a sudden drop in temperature might be a symptom of a hurricane (I just made that up; don't quote me in meteorology class on that one), or a general lack of respect for authority might be a symptom of a society's decay.
CommieBastard
Alex, it's "symptom". Your bad spelling is being called out.
The.Wheezing.Ghost
I'm The Wheezing Ghost...but sometimes I refer to myself as wheezy G to sound cool...SEE THATS SPAM AGAIN!!!! *sobs* I've nearly spammed my way to three thousand...I'm guilty of the following...

7) Starting sentences with "omg"
8) Starting posts with "omg"

*bows head in shame*
Polocrunch
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Oct 15 2004, 07:02 PM)
Alex, it's "symptom". Your bad spelling is being called out.

*Falls on sword*
JimiJimi
I've got it! I don't know if this has been done before, but how about a post where people get all the spam out of their system?

And increase their post count...

Huzzah!
gothictheysay
*gasp* NO! I say if you're found spamming, your post count is DOCKED! That'll teach ya!
Polocrunch
Well, we had an Official Spam Thread a few months ago, but it didn't seem to reduce the overall level of spam on the forums. It got posted in very heavily and other threads continued to be spammed at the same rate as right now, so it was pretty ineffective.
DoRmAnt
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Oct 17 2004, 02:21 PM)
*gasp* NO! I say if you're found spamming, your post count is DOCKED! That'll teach ya!

I second that! If it is possible. That would probably help reduce spamage. However, it might be hard to keep track of everyone who does it.
Hyperion
Polo, I'm probably not a spamwhore, but I'd love to get on your tits. *smirk*

*squeeze* Can I be counted an ex-spamwhore?
Twitching
I'd like to announce that I'm only a spamwhore about 3% of the time. Hence my low post count. tongue.gif

But...since I'm far too lazy to start a thread about it, and I don't see any floating around where it would be revelent...I saw an albino squirrel today and it was the best thing ever. It was running around Washington DC in front of the Smithsonian Museum. (I was on a field trip.)
/end spam
exceptional1709
I'm so terrified that everything I post is spam (and it probably is) that I hardly post. I've been here over two weeks and only posted 25 times. blink.gif
JimiJimi
I got spammed only recently in a PM from spiffilicious05 - Here it is in it's entirety:

hey, I love your avatar. tongue.gif Electric guitars make me drool....

just thought I oughta let you know

All I wanted to know is - is spamming in PM's still spamming? My guess would be yes.

(Due to the fact that I've gotten more criticism than answers from the post I made, please try to ignore this and any further posts made by me in the future. Interesting, this only ever happens to my posts)
Sir Psycho Sexy
I'd say no, it was an innocent friendly gesture, i'd say your post was more spam than that PM
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I'd also say that posting a PM is in very bad taste.

It's called personal message for a reason.
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (exceptional1709 @ Oct 21 2004, 02:19 AM)
I'm so terrified that everything I post is spam (and it probably is) that I hardly post.  I've been here over two weeks and only posted 25 times.  blink.gif

Don't worry. If someone thinks you're spamming, I'm sure they'll tell you. In the meantime, be humorous with your posts... In my experience (Limited, since I haven't been here, long, myself...) Spamming is only a sin if:

A. It's completely off topic
B. It's inflammitory
C. It contains Cuss words
D. It just plain ain't funny
E. It doesn't add to the discussion

Yes, people?
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Oct 23 2004, 07:43 PM)

thats actually what i was aiming for too....but missed tongue.gif

*shakes fist at jimi* shame on you!
JimiJimi
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Oct 25 2004, 01:42 AM)
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Oct 23 2004, 07:43 PM)

thats actually what i was aiming for too....but missed tongue.gif

*shakes fist at jimi* shame on you!

Why me? Why meeeee?

Look, I wouldn't have posted it if I knew I was going to get so much damn criticism, alright? Spamwhores Anonymous is meant to help people who spam, not for even more spam (yes I'm talking to you, SPS). And seeing as there's nothing personal about the PM I posted I don't see what's wrong, OK?

So just shut up about me and get on with the topic at hand.

(And don't say this post is spam, I'm just trying to get my point across so everyone shuts up about me - got it?)
Snugglebum the Destroyer
So just shut up about me

*laughs, points and generally takes as much notice of JimiJimi as possible* biggrin.gif wink.gif

On topic - I don't mind a bit of spam if it's amusing or silly.
El Nino
Until a very few months ago the only spam I knew about was the edible type (if edible is the correct word for it) so I'll apologise if anyone thinks that most of my posts are spam but at least I stick mainly to daft.
monkey_called_narth
(And don't say this post is spam, I'm just trying to get my point across so everyone shuts up about me - got it?)

what do you think he was doing?

also... you might want to only quote one person it saves bandwidth (i think... feel free to correct me) so keep the quotes within quotes to a minimal....

and i think i guilty of a few of the spammy traits... such at starting a thread for a single link... but i do try to be witty when i insult people biggrin.gif ph34r.gif , and i never start a sentence with a capitol... or use proper grammer...
Wyvern
I think I've worked out my problem...I think!
In some things spamming can be pretty obvious but in others I have difficulty working out whether what I want to say will be considered spamming by someone else. I think thats why I tend to stay in daft or introductions it seems a little safer there and people are less likely to get narky about it if I get it wrong...ok so Im a coward. dry.gif
I know you've given definitions but do they always work? The sentence and syntax one can be cruel if you're trying to type and your fingers can't remember how, it is not always intentional, does that get taken into account? sad.gif

I dont want to be banished, I want to feel safe in serious areas too! blink.gif

Help?
JimiJimi
Would it be spam if you included spam in an otherwise non-spam message?

ie:

Some Random Guy:
I think Bush is an Idiot with a capital I.

Spamming Guy:
Yeah, me too

This is a clear example of spam, but what if it was phrased like this:

Some Random Guy:
I think Bush is an Idiot with a capital 'I'

Non-Spamming Guy:
Hmm... I think it's a bad thing that Kerry lost it, like most other people think right now, but then again... I don't think it's the American Public that wanted to vote for him - I think it's Bin Laden. I'd think 'Hey, we need someone to stop that Osama, like Kerry says he'll do. I'll vote for Kerry!'. But the American public allegedly think 'Hey, Kerry doesn't know who this man is... but Bush does. I'll vote for Bush, no matter what Bin Laden thinks of him!'. See what I mean?

I think Bush is an Idiot.

Yeah, Some Random Guy, me too!

Whew, that took a surprisingly long time to write and format...

CommieBastard
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Nov 7 2004, 12:39 PM)
Would it be spam if you included spam in an otherwise non-spam message?

Nope. It's okay to have some of your post as spam, so long as there's content too.
Korbin Dallas
Hey looky here
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Oct 25 2004, 10:38 AM)
Why me? Why meeeee?

Look, I wouldn't have posted it if I knew I was going to get so much damn criticism, alright? Spamwhores Anonymous is meant to help people who spam, not for even more spam (yes I'm talking to you, SPS). And seeing as there's nothing personal about the PM I posted I don't see what's wrong, OK?

So just shut up about me and get on with the topic at hand.

mustn't....rise.....must toe line.....can't say anything slightly offensive.....must keep peace....
Polocrunch
Be strong, Pat! Do it for Mata!
Asenyth
Can someone please explain what on earth 5ii and 5iii mean? I didn't even know what spamming was before this, so I think I'm safe at least...
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Asenyth @ Nov 12 2004, 02:53 PM)
Can someone please explain what on earth 5ii and 5iii mean?

They are roman numerals. They tend to be used when addressing a smaller part of a large point/question.
i is one
ii is two
iii is three
iv is four and so on.
El Nino
I've gotta see if this works here
yes excellent
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Because I can @ Feb 5 2005, 01:19 PM)
I've gotta see if this works here
yes excellent

....and that kids is a classic example of spam, right there, yes it is

Did you actually read and take note of the actual content in this thread BIC? I think you should!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.