Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooked Silicon Grows On You
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Laramon
So there I was, minding my own business on a Friday afternoon. I had a rough day at work, but my 802.11b WiFi enabled Wireless card arrived in the mail, so I installed it. I realized that I had not been maintaining my computer to my regular internal cleanliness standards so I began rigorously cleaning all the dust. I took a close look at my heatsink on my CPU and lo and behold it was CAKED with dust and kitty hair. I did the only thing a sensible techno-geek would do: removed the heatsink and cleaned it. Upon reseating it, it fought me for a bit (just like it did when I originally installed it over 2 years ago) but I thought it clipped on just fine. I turned on my computer to check that it was still alive, and in fact it was doing great. I left it running as I walked into the living room to chat online with an old friend for about 2 hours...

Said friend logs off and I stumble back into the bedroom. There was an odd sense running through me, so I started searching for something amiss... could it be the lack of image on the monitor? Nah... could it be the constant lighting of the hard drive LED? Posh... Oh, wait... OMG!

I leapt for my mouse and prayed that it was just in screensaver mode and it was defragging or something stupid like that... or Hell... a virus even... I can handle a virus... but alas, 'twas not to be.

I pulled my case apart, and the first thing I see through my clear case was a dangling heat sink... my CPU had turned into crystalized silicon... It was so hot it began to melt the CPU slot underneath it... The heat emitted from the area was unbearable...

Soooooo... I broke every rule I ever taught myself and got me a new system instead of a cheap $37 new CPU... I have full confidence that the rest of the system is in fine working order.

The old:

Motherboard: Shuttle AK35GT2
RAM: Generic PC2100 512MB DDR
Video: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9100 Pro 128MB
Processor: AMD Duron 1.3GHz

The NEW:

Motherboard: Shuttle AN35N Ultra
RAM: Crucial PC3200 (DDR-400) 256MB DIMMs x2
Processor: AMD Athlon XP Thorton 3000+
Case: Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000SWA Silver with Extra 120mm Fan And Blue Blinky LEDs biggrin.gif
Video, Hard Drive, CD-ROMs all the same.

I'm in love, but my wallet is spontaneously spawning moths. sad.gif
Mata
After many months of shenangians just trying to get some RAM that works with my relatively-new-but-exceedingly-eccentric motherboard, I can sympathise. Initially I was going to be spending around £50, but the stick wouldn't work. Then I decided to future proof myself a bit a went for a £110 1GB stick... That didn't work either. By this point I was a little obsessed with the idea of a 1GB stick, so ended up spending £150 on one from Crucial. It worked first time, but the change in prices is fearsome.
Sir Psycho Sexy
....so you have some spare RAM knocking about mata? tongue.gif draw a little mittens or lgg on it at sell it on ebay, mataRAM!! tongue.gif

yay for blinky blue LED's
TehRoxxorCOD
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Oct 17 2004, 01:54 PM)
....so you have some spare RAM knocking about mata? tongue.gif draw a little mittens or lgg on it at sell it on ebay, mataRAM!! tongue.gif

I'd pay $1.60.

*me fires techy jargon at everyone*
Feyliya
QUOTE (Laramon @ Oct 17 2004, 09:29 AM)
Video, Hard Drive, CD-ROMs all the same.

I'm in love, but my wallet is spontaneously spawning moths. sad.gif

Not any more. Got the new parts, installed them, turned on the computer, and the master hard drive fried along with the CPU. So we paid out $60 for another one. I'll let Laramon link it...I have no clue where to find the dang thing. Our collective wallet is now not only spontaneously spawning moths, it's sucking them right back in via the large black hole that appeared in the bottom.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.