Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: National Novel Writing Month
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
Pages: 1, 2
CommieBastard
NaNoWriMo

The essence of this is, beginning midnight Nov. 1st, you have a month to write 50,000 words of fiction. I'm going to give it a shot, and I know Missy is too. It doesn't have to be good, or even to make any sense: it's quantity, not quality.

Who's going to try?
PsychWardMike
Sure, I'll give it a go. Too bad most of my novel that I'm writing write now (hee hee!) was written a while ago.

But this looks like it could be fun - and I work well with deadlines.
arachnidoc17
When's national pamphlet writing month? I do well with things under ten pages.
artist.unknown
I checked my current novellish drivel for a reference point; 50,000 words is roughly 90 pages, size 12 font, single-spaced. Hm, that is indeed a challenge. Well, I'll try it too. It's worth a shot, and it's always good have some motivation to write. Of course, if I smash my computer in frustration at some point along the line, I blame you, Commie, for inspiring me to try this madness.
Mata
I have a friend who's tried that before. He says it's really good fun. I've got my thesis to write instead, so I won't be joining you, but I might do in a couple of years!

I look forward to hearing how you get on!
artist.unknown
Aw, come on now, mata, we've all got better, more pressing and important things to do. But that's what mindless distractions and procrastination are for. Heh. Well... otherwise, come on, I know enough of you have professed to being of writery habits in others threads. Who else is going to give it a go?

And as an aside, if you do join, post your username, so we can be supportive of each other and our blither. I am, rather predictably, artist unknown. Und du?
Twitching
Gah. dry.gif See, if this thread hadn't been posted, I might have been able to have spent some time this month bumming around.
laugh.gif Wasting time makes me feel guilty anyway. Novel, here I come!
Forever Unknown
I have a friend who does this every year. At the beginning, he's very "Ooh! OOH! NaNoWriMo!!! Yay!", and by the end of the month he's an insane choatic mess, able to talk about nothing but plotlines.

So. You all have fun...

I would love to say that I'll join in, but I know what I'm like and I'm absolutely useless at getting around to doing things. Besides, I don't think I can be creative for nine lines, let alone ninety pages.
Usurper MrTeapot
I might take this oppotunity to finish a novel of mine, does adding 90 pages (50,000 size 12 font etc) to an already started novel count?
PsychWardMike
Alas, I mourn not reading Mata's prose. I was hoping to see it.

But, predictably, I'm PsychWardMike on NaNoWriMo
Polocrunch
Mr Teapot, I think it has to be completely fresh.

And I've signed myself up. I must be quite mad. As of now, I've written 381 words of boring nonsense. Joy.
vicrawr
Whoohoo! I signed up last night. I'm doing it so I can show off for my cute Creative Writing teacher. And it sounds fun.

iamtehvic here.
MistressAlti
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Oct 31 2004, 06:13 PM)
NaNoWriMo

The essence of this is, beginning midnight Nov. 1st, you have a month to write 50,000 words of fiction. I'm going to give it a shot, and I know Missy is too. It doesn't have to be good, or even to make any sense: it's quantity, not quality.

I see I've started a revolution! You make me happy, Sean, I was meaning to post about this but never got around to it...

Missysaurus I am! Now, to figure out how to navigate this damn website...
CommieBastard
My SN on the site is SeanTheSean, let's see if I ever post in the forums there...
Polocrunch
No doubt you'll be too busy writing to bother.
cait
Wait, I'm confused. So you have to write 90 pages (single spaced) in less than thirty days, and it's supposed to be a novel? Meaning it is supposed to be comprehensive--make sense--somehow be fully developed in one month?!! That is nuts? How does it work? How do they know you have written it in that time frame?

Tell me more!!!

EDIT: On second thought, I read more already and signed up ^^

Oh yeah, me = vaguelyobscure
gothictheysay
Yeah, I have no free time, but I signed up anyway. I'm blackest surreality. Now, I must open Microsoft Word and...
Xkitsurabamix
I'm signed up! I'm ManjiRevolver

Go Matazone forum children for writing crazy-deadlined novels! woo!
(I'm accustomed to crazy deadlines thanks to newspaper...)
PsychWardMike
So... what have you guys started? Thus far I've 3/25000 of my work done (6 words written for those not math inclined)

"Hell is a decidedly unpleasant place."

So, how's your's coming? What's the plot? The characters? The point?
cait
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Nov 2 2004, 11:19 AM)
So... what have you guys started?  Thus far I've 3/25000 of my work done (6 words written for those not math inclined)

"Hell is a decidedly unpleasant place."

So, how's your's coming?  What's the plot?  The characters?  The point?

I've got 989 words ;p

The plot...is a little sketchy right now. It might be about a girl's slight detachment from reality (I suppose that could get pretty interesting) or it might just end up being a romance, but we'll see how well I do with that. Either way, the promenent theme is definitely going to be beauty.

It's about a sixteen-year-old (who may or may not have a name), so you're sure to find a lot of awkward emotions. ^^

Where is yours heading? Is it to be based on anyone's particular hell?
mooooooooooopo
I'm tempted but mostly just agree with GothicTheySay about having no free time. I'm signed up as 'moop'.

If I actually write something it'll be either:

a ) An autobiographican novel told entirely through online chat conversations (ie. paste my IRC chat logs into a word document and be done with it tongue.gif - 350,000 words in mere seconds with interesting characters and everything).

b ) Something along the lines of ice caps melt, waterlevel rises, society as we know it is destroyed.

[edit]Edited 'cos I mangled half the post while fixing the grammar[/edit]
CommieBastard
I have a little over 3,000 words done.
cait
QUOTE (moop @ Nov 2 2004, 03:17 PM)
a ) An autobiographics and told entirely through online chat conversations (ie. paste my IRC chat logs into a word document and be done with it tongue.gif - 350,00 words in mere seconds with interesting characters and everything).

That's genius!!

Argh, my whole thing is in such an awkward tense, I just want to ... delete it all. Computers are no fun, I actually want to rip it up and then burn it and then toss it out the window while it burns... but there is no paper...
Greeneyes
I've been thinking about this for the past day, and decided that I won't sign up until I have a plot. I figured I'd go for a 2,500 words a day jobbie. First day is looking like a failure already. But I'm gonna sign up.
Twitching
I'm Twitching on there too. biggrin.gif

I'm still not sure where mine's going, but I'm 1,904 words into it. Mind you, it's not all the beginning. I've started writing random bits before I forget them and I figure I'll put it all in order later. Or something. I'm thinking it may end up being something like a random sequence of memories and conversations and dreams and such, but at this point I still can't tell.
mooooooooooopo
48 words (and 49952 remaining opportunites to be distracted) and already I have dream logic, aliens and pies. It's just not going well!
Xkitsurabamix
Mines about two people 'the lovers' who join a troupe of traveling gypsies.
their whole lives are played out in tarot cards...
my plot is all mapped out happy.gif
cait
QUOTE (Xkitsurabamix @ Nov 2 2004, 07:37 PM)
Mines about two people 'the lovers' who join a troupe of traveling gypsies.
their whole lives are played out in tarot cards...
my plot is all mapped out happy.gif

That sounds quite interesting. ^^
Xeno
Thanks, gives me a goal for working on my novel, I'll do it.
PsychWardMike
So I have a subject... the politics of heaven and hell. It's shaping up to be rather funny, but I need to mind my style - I don't need to be Douglas Adams, but this isn't the place for my normal angry style.
eleraama
I got sucked in too. I, like many of you, am among the most incredibly original people on the planet: username eleraama. I was excited, because the novel I'm going to finish already has 2000 words! 4% complete! No, it'snot cheating because it will be coherent.
eleraama
QUOTE (moop @ Nov 2 2004, 04:33 PM)
48 words (and 49952 remaining opportunites to be distracted) and already I have dream logic, aliens and pies. It's just not going well!

Wait, I fail to see the 'not going well' bit... happy.gif Very Douglas Adams or Kurt Vonnegut (sp?).
artist.unknown
1,452 words so far. Gah...so slow.

The problem with everything I write is that whenever I go back and read it later I hate it with a passion. It's very hard to write this straight through without compulsive editing.
Jaq
2135 words so far. Mine's about the romance, transvestites, and the government dissapearing all the men.

Yeah. It's sci fi. Give me a break I grew up on Douglas Adams and Kurt Vonnegut Jr
MistressAlti
2,709, but it's tripe. At least the point is quantity over quality. Wordiness I can handle, coherency I cannot...
Polocrunch
So has anyone else effectively dropped out, but is refusing to admit it to themselves?
mooooooooooopo
I've got to 1700, so I'm about 9000 words behind. I was going to spend most of yesterday on it but I ended up spending about an hour.

Worse still my plot has collapsed in a heap and refuses to work nicely and the novel has become some kind of tool to convince myself that the dull things I've been putting off for months are going to be more fun than novelling, so my website got fixed (remember kids, backup the database, not just the code when you reformat) and some work happened on the game I'm coding but hardly any novel got written.
vicrawr
Not I. Had a big boost this morning, nearly doubled my word count. I'm planning to hit 10K before tomorrow.
mooooooooooopo
In a (probably ill advised move) my novel is now available on my website and gets updated as and when it changes, and word counted too. Try not to mock too much and bear in mind that it gets displayed from the actual file as I'm editing so it probably looks a mess and that there are big unwritten gaps between the chapters at the moment.

http://www.moop.org.uk/~moop/novel.php

*hides* ph34r.gif

[edit]
Does anyone else have an unnatural urge to write a few pages and then decide "okay, I'm going to add a prelude to the story that happens before all this" then write the prelude and repeat the same thing over again?

Help!
[/edit[
PsychWardMike
Working. I'm at around 3500. Will I finish by the end of the month? I doubt it. However, this has lit a bit of a fire under my bum.
artist.unknown
Does anyone else have an unnatural urge to write a few pages and then decide "okay, I'm going to add a prelude to the story that happens before all this" then write the prelude and repeat the same thing over again?

You mean, effectively write backwards? Yea...I do that. Bad habit, but it all unfolds in the end. Sort of. To some degree or another.

Gah...I was dragged into a computerless land for three days, and now I'm so far behind it makes my head hurt. Now where did I put all those scribbly pieces of paper? Oof.
Xkitsurabamix
Bah. i've dropped out...i just can't handle doing layouts for yearbook, articles for newspaper, and maintaining a social life with this novel...
sleep.gif I'm with you, Polocrunch.

I will, however keep it and make it a short story some day in the future...i'll put it somewhere for public consumption when i have more spare time.
Twitching
Errrrr.... I'm about 6500 words behind, but I'm convinced that I might be able to make it up. Er. Okay, probably not, but I'm gonna try at least. Or something. But I'm going to do it later, as I'm still sick at the moment and not entirely coherent.
PsychWardMike
Pfft. I'll one up ol' 'Mix.

Marching Band + Play + Literary Magazine + Homework + Social Life + Orchestra + Symphony + Honors Symphony + Quiz Bowl + Weight Lifting.

Added to that is the novel and maybe, at some point, video games!
vicrawr
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Nov 8 2004, 10:21 AM)
Pfft.  I'll one up ol' 'Mix.

Marching Band + Play + Literary Magazine + Homework + Social Life + Orchestra + Symphony + Honors Symphony + Quiz Bowl + Weight Lifting.

Added to that is the novel and maybe, at some point, video games!

You people and your "Social Lives". I thought the internet taught us long ago that they weren't needed! They only bog you and your downloading/writing capabilities down. Lose the social life. When you have a high-speed connection, who needs it?

Or maybe I'm just a sad, lonely person. unsure.gif
Jaq
I got disgusted with my main character and I can't stand her anymore. So I've stopped writing.

Is it crazy to have a fight with a non existant person that you invented? That's not crazy, is it? Is it? blink.gif
Twitching
Don't stop writing! Have her landed on by an alien space craft and then make one of the aliens your main character.
Jaq
That's so crazy it just might work. Either that or I could kill her and finish the story from the view point of the protaganist. Thanks Twitching! Being doped up on drugs makes me feel all the more creative.
PsychWardMike
*makes love to IrishGuy*

Come on baby, I loves you. I loves you good.
Wyvern
Ok, I think I've just gone and done a really daft thing and signed up to give this a try! Having not trusted my beloved computer I did 2000 words by hand, lost half the notes, changed my mind aboout the plot and have started again dry.gif ...hmm...not good.

Current word count stands at 469 words
Possibly, just ever such a tiny chance that I have a wee bit of catching up to do, if thats even feasible but hey Im addicted so I might as well carry on with the attempt! biggrin.gif

Oh what have I done? *shakes fist at keyboard* I hate you, its all your fault!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.