Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ask Matazone
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Ashbless
On being here about a year I realized that we've a variety of people with varied backgrounds who post here. There are some really bright folks around. I've even learned a few things or had a think about my prejudices anyway.
This thread is to ask Matazone in general about something you want to know.

If you ask a specific person could you include their handle?
Eg. Ashbless, what's with the root vegetable thing?
A specific question to a forumite could be answered fairly with haven't the foggiest, won't say as it's personal, or with the answer you asked for.
Eg. Carrots in this case stand for all the myriad of frustrations that I have with my current job and act as a goad towards finishing my course of study and getting another.
If you ask the forumites as a whole then anybody can answer. Could those people who respond include the original question so we know what your talking about?
Eg. Ashbless what's with the carrots? My opinion on this question is that Ash was obviously raised by wolves.

Please don't answer as in the example. laugh.gif Maybe somebody really doesn't know how daft their question is.

My Question: Why Satanism? I've seen a couple people in the forum post that they are Satanists and I'm puzzled by their choice of Diety. Lucifer, once brightest angel in God's heaven, has no reason to love humanity. I'm under the impression that people who worship him buy themselves a one-way ticket to Hell to be laughed at by the demons. Please Matazone enlighten me.
Forever Unknown
I did a little reading on Satanism, and in some schools of thought (it seems to vary), not so much about Satan, but more about individuals - that they are God if they choose to be. It's kind of humanitarianism, that people have their own power, make their own choices. A lot of it seemed about enjoying life, even the things that might be a little naughty (sex, drugs, meat on Fridays). Satan is the symbol for that, but it's not really the Christian version of Satan.

To be honest, I don't know a great deal about it and I'm quite prepared to be completely wrong. It's just something I read on a website that seemed interesting, because it's something I never really understood. I could, quite frankly, be completely wrong. Besides - there were other Satanist websites that were all about the goat killing and vampirism and stuff. I've no idea which one is the offical line, or if people are doing it a certain way because that's "cool".

Anyone else want to enlighten us some more?

Fun thread, by the way.
CommieBastard
I think I can answer this, at least in relation to Anton Szandor LaVey's Satanic Church - I've read The Satanic Bible.

Satanism is nontheistic - it denies the actual existence of the Christian God, of Satan/Lucifer, of Vishnu, of Pan, all of them. Satan is used as an allegory for the Opposition - the opposition, in their case, to what LaVey perceived as Christian values.

LaVey hated Christian ethics, believing them to be highly counterproductive and restrictive for humanity. His claim was that the Seven Deadly Sins of Christianity - pride, lust, envy, greed, gluttony, anger and sloth - were all at least to a moderate extent virtues, since they each led to the gratification of desire (the gratification of desire is a very important theme in Satanism).

The Nine Satanic Statements are:

1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!

2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!

3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!

4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!

5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!

6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!

7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!

8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!

9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!

(Note that "Satan represents" instead of "Satan is". LaVey elaborated in the Satanic Bible on the idea of "psychic vampires", people who exploit the generosity of others, taking without giving in return.)

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth are:

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

9. Do not harm little children.

10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

The Nine Satanic Sins are:

1. Stupidity

2. Pretentiousness

3. Solipsism

4. Self-deceit

5. Herd Conformity

6. Lack of Perspective

7. Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies

8. Counterproductive Pride

9. Lack of Aesthetics

More information can be found on the Church's official website.
Jonman
You know - maybe this whole Satanism thing isn't too bad. I mean, for one, they have a 'mating signal'. Genius! Just wander about until some foxy chick gives you the special signal and you're in! And the Sins are quite good too. Much better than that 'sloth and gluttony' malarky.
kisah
I have to admit... it does sound kinda nice... Maybe I'm a closet satanist and I didn't even know.
Mata
So I'm going to Satanist's hell for sin number two I suspect... Does that mean I'm actually going to heaven?

(On a side note, I'm listening to an audio book of Dante's Inferno at the moment. It's a lot more interesting than I thought it was going to be!... And now I've typed that, I realise that's probably me being pretentious again!)
Forever Unknown
(On a side note, I'm listening to an audio book of Dante's Inferno at the moment. It's a lot more interesting than I thought it was going to be!... And now I've typed that, I realise that's probably me being pretentious again!)

Do I get extra pretentious points for actually reading it?

... And the notes...?

... Without any educational obligation to do so...?
Artemisia
For an early source on what is today considered Satanic thought and codified in the above Principles - and for those English buffs out there- you can try reading William Blake, the great English Romantic poet. Specifically, read the "Marriage of Heaven and Hell." You can read it online here: William Blake Complete Works Online

And for those of you who have read him, have you seen the accompanying illustrations and facsimilies of his original books? Definitely worth checking out. Don't have a link for it though.
Mata
Yes, I think that you probably do. I guess you're coming to heaven with me too. That'll teach you.

Okay, new question:

After I've posted I often read through what I've written and then go back and edit words or phrases to try and make sure that I've said things as precisely as I can. Do other people often use the 'edit' function of the fourms?
PsychWardMike
Heh. There's a fine line between Satanism and humanism, thank you. I myself am an extreme humanist, often finding myself saying that God is within people instead of above. However, that does not mean that I deny the Christian God or Jesus or the Holy Spirit, rather I embrace them, taking much solace in knowing that my vices are wrong, but that I can be forgiven if not by man than by someone one up on the whole deal. Christianity isn't a hindrance to society (though I wouldn't go so far as to say that about the Roman Catholic Church, mind you) but it's given billions solace and a moral code to keep the world from going to Hell.

I do find your post interesting, though, Commie. Many of those have been my philosophy for years, but I do like to thinmk that there's a place better than this.
PsychWardMike
And to Mata, I use the 'Edit' function frequently, but damned if I'll admit that I screwed up on a post. The "add edited by..." box ALWAYS remains unchecked.

(Okay, this is just funny, now.)
Forever Unknown
After I've posted I often read through what I've written and then go back and edit words or phrases to try and make sure that I've said things as precisely as I can. Do other people often use the 'edit' function of the fourms?

Only when my spastic gene kicks in and I've realised what I said made absolutely no sense.

So, yeah. I use it all the time.
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 4 2004, 06:41 PM)

Yep, all the time. Especially this month where I have grown a habit of missing out the last letters of each sentence blink.gif , but usually because I tend to start posting with just a vague idea then realise after hitting the post button that it could be fleshed about a little more or that there are some parts of it that are irrelevant (usually incorrect too sad.gif ) and the post would be better without them.

Back to Ashbless' question, for some reason satanists seem to be a popular topic in the last few weeks. On the mailing list my friends setup when we left school someone apparently ended up sitting next to 'that guy in the royal navy who is allowed to worship the devil' on a bus and sparked off a whole debate on there too.

*cue lots of copy and paste from theforums to there*
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I edit myself all the time. It's probably why I hardly ever post - too busy editing the last one.. blink.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I have another question but you can feel free to ignore it and keep answering Mata's:

Do any of you know anything about the NHS Confidentiality Code? I have to write 1000 words on it and I've only been given 2 lines of information on it unsure.gif
artist.unknown
I preview all my posts and then go back and read them again once they're posted so I can edit them if need be. And still I miss stupid mistakes. I need to learn to turn of that annoying autoedit area of the brain that glosses over spelling errors.

Ooh, Artemisia, thanks for the Blake link. I think Blake's stuff is brilliant, but it's hard to find anything besides the Songs.
Xkitsurabamix
i edit my posts all the time, sometimes i'm like...'Wow...what the crap was i trying to say?' and sometimes, it's just for typos...
Ashbless
Snoo.
Do any of you know anything about the NHS Confidentiality Code? I have to write 1000 words on it and I've only been given 2 lines of information on it 

My opinion is that it's something like the Canada freedom of information act and the confidentiality act. I would suggest looking for it on a boring government site set up for the public. I'm in Canada though and so don't know England's laws.

Anybody who can aim Snoo in the right direction?

Mata - I use the edit function also. Usually to fix typos and glaring grammatical errors.

Everybody - Thanks for the answer. Satanism as a choice makes a bit more sense now. I'll stay lapsed Catholic but good to expand my knowledge base of other religions.
CommieBastard
Mata: I edit most often when there's something I need to add to that post, which is not enough to warrant posting a second time. I also edit when I realise, on re-reading, that I got something wrong, and nobody has replied yet (if somebody has replied, then I usually make a new post responding to them and correcting myself).
Jonman
I only use post editing when I spot typos. Or naughty words in naughty people's posts
*brandishes mod rod*
Forever Unknown
*brandishes mod rod*

Please, Jonman, put your mod rod away. We don't know where it's been.

My poor, innocent eyes...
Sir Psycho Sexy
....looks like someone's hacked into FU's account tongue.gif
the lil' pie fairy
Heh...and is ironically protesting innocence...youth of today *tuts*

laugh.gif

FU, where's your av from? I love it muchly, always wondered.
mooooooooooopo
Sure, I'm not FU, but the av is from the video to 'Girls Not Grey' by AFI. Great video and awesome band biggrin.gif.
the lil' pie fairy
Ahh, cheers smile.gif
Forever Unknown
Sure, I'm not FU, but the av is from the video to 'Girls Not Grey' by AFI. Great video and awesome band

That it is. Cute little bunny type thing. I like the way he toddles. And never stops. Like the Durecell bunny. On and on and on and on and on.
Ashbless
New question. Snoo? How did your 1000 word report go?
the lil' pie fairy
What's it on, while we're at it?
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
My 1000 words on "The Freedom of Information act" (basically allows people to access medical information and hospital reports, at least in this case as it was based on the NHS) went alright and was handed in on time, will update when I get the mark back.
El Nino
When a DVD gives you a choice of viewing styles, Anamorphic, Full frame, etc. How do you know which style is better without watching the same film twice?
Ashbless
QUOTE (Jonman @ Nov 16 2004, 07:20 AM)
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Nov 16 2004, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (Because I can @ Nov 12 2004, 06:11 AM)
When a DVD gives you a choice of viewing styles, Anamorphic, Full frame, etc. How do you know which style is better without watching the same film twice?

Dear Jonman,

I would also like to know the answer to B.I.C.'s question. Have you wisdom you can share?

Sincerely,
Dedicated Movie Fan

I supppose it rather depends on what kind of telly you have. If you've got an all singing all dancing telly, you want whichever mode has the most shiny bells and whistles. If you're still watching a hamster-powered tube from the 50's, you'll probably want to elect for a 4:3 ratio.

As for anamorphic, I don't know anyone called Anna, so I couldn't possible comment. I'm assuming that she's a particularly bendy girl with a name like that.

The wisdom of Jonman as I've no idea. I was told letterbox is good and the version that allows the whole picture, rather than adapted to fit the screen, is better than the alternative. Meh, don't really know.
Usurper MrTeapot
*bump*

Dear Matazonions of the USA in or have been in University.

My knowledge of Uni is limited but that I have seen of a typical US Uni is mostly on TV or in films. Do Fraternaties exist? Is it true that you go through a time of 'pledging' where you're treated like poop to weed out the weeds? Anyone got any experiences of it?

Yours unawarely.

MrTeapot
the lil' pie fairy
Also, is it true that all fraternities have to have names made of the Greek letters?? *ignorant of most american culture*
Feyliya
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Dec 8 2004, 02:23 AM)
*bump*

Dear Matazonions of the USA in or have been in University.

My knowledge of Uni is limited but that I have seen of a typical US Uni is mostly on TV or in films. Do Fraternaties exist? Is it true that you go through a time of 'pledging' where you're treated like poop to weed out the weeds? Anyone got any experiences of it?

Yours unawarely.

MrTeapot

Yes, fraternaties exist, and yes, when you're pledging there is usually a period of "hazing". Even though hazing is illegal, many still find reasons and legal loopholes so they can do it. I don't have much personal experience with it all, though. When my older cousins would have been pledging I was probably 4, and all my guy friends are too geeky or too in the military to pledge. Plus, the female version, sororities, were illegal where I was from. Any house with more than 6 women alone in it is still considered to be a whore house on the books in SC.

QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Dec 8 2004, 04:47 AM)
Also, is it true that all fraternities have to have names made of the Greek letters?? *ignorant of most american culture*

Yes, fraternities are named after Greek letters. So are Sororities. I don't really have a clue as to why. As far as I know, the naming procedure consists of finding a grouping of letters that isn't taken by some other group and claiming it as your own.

And now for my question. Anyone know any good way to ship a cat cross-country? I had to leave my baby back in SC when I moved, and I'm really going nutty without him. And I can tell he's miserable without me, too. sad.gif
elphaba2
Yes, fraternities are named after Greek letters. So are Sororities. I don't really have a clue as to why. As far as I know, the naming procedure consists of finding a grouping of letters that isn't taken by some other group and claiming it as your own.

And now for my question. Anyone know any good way to ship a cat cross-country? I had to leave my baby back in SC when I moved, and I'm really going nutty without him. And I can tell he's miserable without me, too. 

Regarding frats and the greek naming thereof
I think it's just an ongoing American obsession with ancient Greco-Roman culture as a whole. Our government is, or _was_ based on the Roman representive democracy and most/all important-for-something-noble famous people have a greek-style bust made. And pillars. All our important buildings are pillared. I think government architechts believe it makes them look extra-official. (isn't it nice that I assume all government positions are now filled with people of equal or less intelligence to that of George Bush?)

Regarding the cat, I'm not sure. American seems to be the only airline allowing pets, and they seem to be pretty cool about shipping cats as "luggage". They have kennel areas (on the plane)where they're fed and watered (according to the site) and if you could get someone in SC to get the kitty on the plane, you could probably pick it up on the other end.

Then again, I've never actually shipped a cat, so I don't know if cats are ok with being shipped. The American site is here
hachi fuji
[QUOTE][quote=Mata,Nov 4 2004, 10:32 AM]
So I'm going to Satanist's hell for sin number two I suspect... Does that mean I'm actually going to heaven?[/QUOTE]

I've just been skimming through this so it's probably been posted so long ago that nobody remembers it anymore but I'm a Satanist and have been for a few years. You wouldn't go to a Heaven or Hell because the Satanist doesn't believe in the existence of any afterlife. With that in mind, Satniaist's believe in "responsibility to the responsible" because at this point being banished to Hell is an empty threat so it's more about morlas than anything else, nothing's stopping you from doing it but your conscience. Also, one can't lecture another Satanist about any guideline that they had chosen to break and would probably just get laughed at. But I'm actually trying to research all religions to the best of my ability to get a good idea of what they are to give a good description of what I am and this is what I can most closely relate to. I hope that this information helped at all.
voices_in_my_head
For anybody who can answer: How does the Trail of Tears (where they moved the Indians from their native land to east of the mississippi) and Aushwitz (the concentration camp) compare to each other? I've found some obivious ones like they were both moved by force, but I'd really like to get some non-obvious comparisons so that my teacher won't think I'm a idiot.
Mata
QUOTE (hachi fuji @ Jan 31 2006, 11:15 PM)
You wouldn't go to a Heaven or Hell because the Satanist doesn't believe in the existence of any afterlife.

Given that I don't believe in Satan or the Judaeo-Christian concept of the afterlife I wasn't very worried biggrin.gif

Voices: I don't know anything about the Trail of Tears, but things to investigate would be:

reduction of cultural identity through removal of tribal clothing
removal of individuality through provision of uniforms
lack of respect/provision for beliefs and related rituals
construction of a superiority myth (where the white man is supposedly better than the native Americans)
enforced labour

Those are a few things that come to mind. Out of interest, did you know that it was the British who invented the concentration camp? As a nation we can be really nasty when it comes to warfare. We're still one of the top weapons manufacturers and developers in the world. If you want something nasty invented then we're the place to ask sad.gif
Ashbless
Canada had labour camps during WW2 I believe. Asian-Canadians, regardless of how long they'd been in Canada or what their country of origin originally was, had property confiscated and were relocated. Not a proud moment of Canadian history.

Alberta can also hang it's head in shame as we had eugenics laws on the books about a generation or so ago. All it took was an authority figure and a parent to have a child sterilized for poor mental fitness. Jenny's Story is a good book about that time.
Ashbless
Can anyone tell me how this works?
An old friend of mine once sat down and explained the mathematics of it so that it made total sense. However I've since forgotten what he said and I've lost touch and can't just ask him again.

It's one of those supposed psychic things. It's pretty though.

http://trunks.secondfoundation.org/files/psychic.swf
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Feb 18 2006, 06:15 PM)
Can anyone tell me how this works? 
An old friend of mine once sat down and explained the mathematics of it so that it made total sense.  However I've since forgotten what he said and I've lost touch and can't just ask him again.

It's one of those supposed psychic things. It's pretty though.

http://trunks.secondfoundation.org/files/psychic.swf

Every number you choose will give a multiple of 9, and the symbol is the same for all multiples of nine (although the symbols change when you reload it)

Say you choose a number with the first digit x and the second digit y..

The number = 10x + y
The total of each digit added together will be x + y
What they ask for is (10x + y) - (x+y) = 9x
michael1384
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Nov 4 2004, 01:57 PM)
I think I can answer this, at least in relation to Anton Szandor LaVey's Satanic Church - I've read The Satanic Bible.

Satanism is nontheistic - it denies the actual existence of the Christian God, of Satan/Lucifer, of Vishnu, of Pan, all of them. Satan is used as an allegory for the Opposition - the opposition, in their case, to what LaVey perceived as Christian values.

LaVey hated Christian ethics, believing them to be highly counterproductive and restrictive for humanity. His claim was that the Seven Deadly Sins of Christianity - pride, lust, envy, greed, gluttony, anger and sloth - were all at least to a moderate extent virtues, since they each led to the gratification of desire (the gratification of desire is a very important theme in Satanism).

The Nine Satanic Statements are:

1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!

2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!

3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!

4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!

5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!

6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!

7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!

8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!

9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!

(Note that "Satan represents" instead of "Satan is". LaVey elaborated in the Satanic Bible on the idea of "psychic vampires", people who exploit the generosity of others, taking without giving in return.)

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth are:

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

9. Do not harm little children.

10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

The Nine Satanic Sins are:

1. Stupidity

2. Pretentiousness

3. Solipsism

4. Self-deceit

5. Herd Conformity

6. Lack of Perspective

7. Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies

8. Counterproductive Pride

9. Lack of Aesthetics

More information can be found on the Church's official website.

i would just like to ask, this may seem pretty supid, but what is the afterlife for satanism?
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (michael1384 @ Feb 20 2006, 09:12 PM)
i would just like to ask, this may seem pretty supid, but what is the afterlife for satanism?

There isn't one.
Ashbless
*bump*

Can pop go moldy?

The two litre in the fridge has a suspicious taste. Is it the pop or is it my tastebuds?
{Gothic Angel}
It doesn't go "mouldy", per se, but it can cultivate bacterial or fungal growth ('specially if it's not sugar free). When kept in the fridge, it's more likely to go flat and horrible and change taste because of chemicals breaking down and things before it gets nasty bug-type things in, simply because pathogens (harmful microorganisms) and spoilage enzymes don't work so well, or become dormant altogether, at lower temperatures.

If it's sugary, it may also have fermented. This will also account for nasty taste.
I_am_the_best
Being the immature person I am, I read 'pop' as 'poo' and was beginning to wonder why GA knew so much about it and why it as in Ashbless' fridge!

I am struggling over the pronounciation of 'Schoenburg'. I say 'shoo-en-burg' but my parents insist on 'shurn-burg'. Am I horribly wrong?
Moosh
It's shurn-burg. Or really shurn-borg if you want to be accurate. So yes Emma, you're wrong.
Calantyr
QUOTE (Ashbless @ May 23 2006, 03:41 PM) *
*bump*

Can pop go moldy?

The two litre in the fridge has a suspicious taste. Is it the pop or is it my tastebuds?

All food and drink can go off, that's why it has a sell by date stamped somewhere on the packaging.

Except maybe salt. biggrin.gif
{Gothic Angel}
that's why it has a sell by date stamped somewhere on the packaging

Not necissarily. Tins and jars can have a useable life of at least 20 years, potentially longer, if you leave it sealed and store it in the right conditions, as can most dried food. Sell by dates are a legal requirement to cover the store if something *does* accidentally happen to contaminate the food. That way there are rules and regulations, so they can say they followed a procedure. And the sell by dates have legal outer limits depending on the type and packaging of the food. Yes all food "can" go off but that doesn't mean it will, and it's certainly not the sole existing reason for sell by dates tongue.gif
vicrawr
So, does anyone know that song that's always played during the clichd scene where the two long lost lovers are reunited and run towards each other in the field of flowers.

It starts off with a crescendo, I think, and it's got a lot of string instruments. I can hear the tune in my head, but I've never found the title or composer of the song and I'm curious.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.