Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ask Matazone
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Chronotub
QUOTE (Calantyr @ May 29 2006, 01:47 AM) *
QUOTE (Ashbless @ May 23 2006, 03:41 PM) *

*bump*

Can pop go moldy?

The two litre in the fridge has a suspicious taste. Is it the pop or is it my tastebuds?

All food and drink can go off, that's why it has a sell by date stamped somewhere on the packaging.

Except maybe salt. biggrin.gif

but manufacturers stil insist on giving salt a sell by date
lots of foods tend to last a lot longer than there sell by date mind

random question, why do blokes allways go bald on the top of there head first? why not the otherway so you have an undercut type thing?
voices_in_my_head
I once asked my grandpa that. He said that that's just where the wind catches it first. tongue.gif
This is only kinda-sorta related to your question, but I've heard recently that a way to tell wheather or not a man was going to bald early was weather or not they had the 'spiral' pattern in their hair. I haven't had a chance to see if it's true or not, but if it is, that's a pretty cool little fact. (to me)
Mr Fuzzy
That's something of an old wives tale. Another one which has a bit more of a basis in reality is that you go by the maternal grandfather. That said, I'm beating that reckoning by a good few years now as I still live up to my user name.
{Gothic Angel}
Settle a debate for us: Do people float?

I think no, from empirical evidence, but Greeneyes is arguing with me tongue.gif
I_am_the_best
^ I thought that they did, and that the fatter you are, the better you float. It said it on Brainiac Science Thing.
Witless
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Aug 30 2006, 09:47 PM) *
Settle a debate for us: Do people float?

I think no, from empirical evidence, but Greeneyes is arguing with me tongue.gif

Was feeling bored.. so i'll answer this.

'One kilogram of body mass occupies a volume of about 0.9 L'.

Since 0.9L of water equals close to precisely 0.9 kilograms in weight. The human body is heavier than the amount of water it displaces and therefore sinks under normal circumstances.

Only when your dead and become bloated because of all the gases dissolved into your various fluids start leaving the fluids they were dissolved into and thus increase your volume without increasing your weight can you float. Sadly that's short lived.. and you sink a few hours after that.

But.. yeah outside of being dead.. the human body sinks.
Moosh
Personally, I don't, but some people do. After seeing this I got bored and tried floating some meat and fat and stuff in water, and fat floats but meat doesn't, thereofre the higer the ratio of body fat to total volume you have, the better you'll float.
Witless
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Aug 30 2006, 10:05 PM) *
Personally, I don't, but some people do. After seeing this I got bored and tried floating some meat and fat and stuff in water, and fat floats but meat doesn't, thereofre the higer the ratio of body fat to total volume you have, the better you'll float.

Those rare peopel are special.. I been meaning to read up on those 1 in a million people that float while alive.. hmm.. not up for that today.
Phyllis
I float. I seriously cannot sink. I've tried. I can't sit on the bottom of a pool...I float back up. And I can float just by simply lifting my legs up and "sitting" in the water.

CM is right about the fat content thing. Fat floats. I have yet to meet a person who sinks when they try to float on their back or stomach, though.

Edit: it just occured to me that by talking to Witless in IRC that he was talking about walking on water type floating...not simply sinking to where you can't breathe. Never mind then....I can't walk on water. tongue.gif
gothictheysay
I can't sit on the bottom of a pool...I float back up

I float back up a little bit! Just enough so that I can't get my butt on the tile. At least you never have to worry about drowning!
Moosh
QUOTE (candice @ Aug 30 2006, 10:55 PM) *
I have yet to meet a person who sinks when they try to float on their back or stomach, though.

*puts up hand*
ooh ooh me me!

I sink regardless of the position. I can be starfishing and still sink. even if trying to float.
{Gothic Angel}
I sink - The percentage body fat thing makes sense, I guess, but Greeneyes is thinner than me and therefore he *must* sink, and I'm right and I win tongue.gif

We were talking about just if you relax in the water, not lying on front/back deliberately trying to float, for clarity. Presumably that increases the surface area for the water to be pushing back up or whatever.

Cand, if you ever crack the walking on water thing, let me know tongue.gif It'd be a great party trick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.