Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Dreamweaver Can' Connect To The Ftp Site.
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
oobunnie
It just keeps saying it can't connect to the remote server or something. Anybody want to help me?
synCsil
A few questions...

Who is the webhost and do they allow FTP access ?
Is the setting for 'passive ftp turned on? sometimes it can be that..
Are the directories on the remote host created already before file transfers are being attempted?
What version of dreamweaver is it?
Can you call the remote hosting site/company and shake your finger at them?
I'd definitely call them and ask about their FTP policies and procedures, but then make sure
to get a second opinion .. wink.gif

(gotta get some sleep....have forgotten what that is, tho)
oobunnie
Who is the webhost and do they allow FTP access ? Fortunecity, and err they should since it's webspace I payed for. I do have and can access my ftp site.
Is the setting for 'passive ftp turned on? sometimes it can be that.. umm... What? I'm rather stupid when it comes to these sorts of thing. I've never used ftp before.
Are the directories on the remote host created already before file transfers are being attempted? Directories you say. My last answer should answer this.
What version of dreamweaver is it? Dreamweaver MX
Can you call the remote hosting site/company and shake your finger at them? I emailed them. So we shall see. Hopefully it's not alot of technical stuff I dont understand.

Thanks for the help. Yes sleep is indeed good.
synCsil
Guess we just need to figure out where the connection is not working. Is it with Dreamweaver? The
webhost? The interfacing of the two?

If you use a different FTP client/program can it access the host?
If you don't have another FTP client, can someone (you really really trust)
try to connect from their machine and what happens?
Is the necessary password and username being given to the webhost during
the connection attempt?
Passive FTP should be an option somewhere in DreamweaverMX (i dont have)
and is just the polite way to use the protocol without 'being too aggressive.'

I'd be interested to know what they say in their email response back to you.

and what is the actual error message given during a failed attempt? is it more of
the "host not reachable" or "connection refused" or "connection timed out" or
something along those lines??
JimiJimi
Go into Control Panel, then go into Internet Options, click on advanced, then make sure Enable folder view for FTP sites and Use Passive FTP are both checked.
oobunnie
Both of those settings are on, but it still wont work sad.gif

The prompt if fully gives me is
"An FTP error occured-cannot make connection to host. The remote host cannot be found."

Is the necessary password and username being given to the webhost during
the connection attempt?
Yup.
Passive FTP should be an option somewhere in DreamweaverMX (i dont have)
and is just the polite way to use the protocol without 'being too aggressive.'
Thats the option I choose when I set up the files on dreamweaver.
Mata
That sounds like a mistype in the hostname box to me.

So, your Remote Info should look something like this:

Access: FTP

FTP host: ftp.yourdomainthingy.com *this is where your problem probably is*

hostdirectory: www/ *this changes a lot between different hosts*

Login: theusernameyouweregiven

Password: alsoobvious

Okay, that's the main bits. Personally I don't have any of the boxes ticked either, and I'm running on WinXP sp2 behind two firewalls and with kickass anti-virus running, so if I can do it then you probably can too.

I suspect it's simply a case of removing 'http:' or something like that from the FTP host-name box.
oobunnie
Thanks mata. You were right. I had and ftp:// infront because I just copied the url.
JimiJimi
And so as another adventure comes to an end, the post can finally be closed to stop cluttering up the forum...
Mata
Oob, I figured it would be something like that. Dreamweaver is lovely to do FTP admin with, I use it a lot myself. 'Glad I could help.

Jimijimi, this was hardly 'cluttering' the site. It was in the right place, asking a fair question. Don't be so harsh in future with your language please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.