Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Embarrassing Slip-ups
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Forever Unknown
It's not just me who's notoriously stupid, is it? (No sniggering in the back, please)

Anyhoo!

This thread has probably been made a thousand times, but it's always fun to laugh at other people's misfortune. And it makes me feel better about myself, and that's a bit fabulous.

So. The stupid things that just pop out of your mouth and leave you thinking "where in arse did that come from?". Such as the inappropriate "you too":
Waiter: "Enjoy your meal."
You: "Yeah. You too."

I habitually say goodbye before putting someone on hold.

I've managed to add an extra seven (count them! Seven! I know you won't!) syllables into 'University'. "Uni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-versity.". The person on the other end of the line must've thought I'd suddenly been brutally attacked with a drill.

"Hello. It's X calling for Y"
"Can I ask who's calling, please?"

There's also the wonderful mixing of sentences - like a spoonerism with words."Back she'll be on Wednesday". Like Yoda without the Jedi mind trick that makes it acceptable.

There's probably a kazillion others that I just can't think of. But is it just me that does this? Enlighten me (read: "make me feel less abnormal") with your stories (read: "by taking the p*ss") of being equally as incoherent (read: "and pretending you're also a spastic").

This has been a public service announcement. Without the service. Or the announcement, really.
dancing hamster guy
Yeah I was at a college interview - I was really nervous. It was nearly the end and it had gone really smoothly. I was about to leave when he said "good look in your exams" and I replied "you too"! He looked at me weirdly as I walked out! I left feeling very embarressed and wanting to punch myself!
Twitching
Friend Mike (yes, the infamous friend Mike who Medae and I spoke of in D'oh) can't say aluminium. He adds extra syllables too. He does it to other things, but I can't think of them at the moment. (Meg, think of some of the others for me?)

I can't be bothered to add more at the moment because I've got to run off and get ready for school.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Hands up how many people have called a teacher mum or dad by accident...in front of the whole class?

*raises hand* >_<
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Dec 13 2004, 01:03 PM)
Hands up how many people have called a teacher mum or dad by accident...in front of the whole class?

*raises hand* >_<

Hands up who have gotten away with no one noticing.

*waves* tongue.gif
Snugglebum the Destroyer

*raises hand*

I did it to my boss once too... blush.gif
Misty Rain
I was standing on a beach in Cyprus talking to this guy.
A child, about 8, was standing next to us and I looked down at the top of the familiar blond head and said "WILL YOU STOP PICKING YOUR NOSE!!"
When he looked up it was his kid not mine.

Misty Rain
Ashbless
Another embarassing incident in front of the boss. One summer I had three different part-time jobs to save money for college. I was at work at my main job of clerking in a store when the phone rang. I picked it up answered as though I was at the convenience store blink.gif , corrected myself with the second wrong store ohmy.gif , and finally with the correct store sad.gif . My boss had also picked up the extension line at the same time, listened to me nattering on, and simply said "Hang up the phone". blink.gif ohmy.gif sad.gif
He emerged from his office and told me to go have my lunch break. laugh.gif
Medae
LOL. Yes, Friend Mike seems to have a slight speech impediment. He can't say cinnamon (the last syllable goes on forever), nor can he say anything with a profuse amount of S's (?). Such as Jesus's Cup. Impossible.

Yea, I've done the whole teacher mum thing. And I used to habitualy raise my hand at the dinner table when I wanted to speek. My boyfriend used to work at a Pizza Hut, which is where I kept running into him before I knew his name. There were two incidents outside of the Hut where I couldn't for the life of me remeber his name, so I slipped up and called him the Pizza Hut Guy. Tactless Moment #46.
Moosh
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Dec 13 2004, 02:03 PM)

*raises hand* >_<

I haven't called my teacher mum but I did call my Mum at work and one of her collegues picked up the phone, it took several minutes for her to work out who I was and to pass me on
TehRoxxorCOD
When I speak too quickly I tend to fuddle up my words... otherwise I'm quite articulate. Or so I like to think.
voices_in_my_head
one time, for some reason, I was searchng franticly for my mom. the house we lived in at the time had a den, and above the den was a sort of balconey-thing leading to the living room. well, I had looked everywhere for my mom except for that den, so while I was standing on the balconey, looking into the den, directly at my mom, I asked "momma(yes, that's what I call her) where's momma?"
she just looked at me with this huge smile smile.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
Way, way back (In the dawn of time) In elementary school, we had to put our hands over our hearts and recite the pledge of allegience... Being the genius I was, I couldn't figure out where to put my hand on my chest, and piped up that I couldn't find my heart. That was a proud day, let me tell you... blush.gif
Artemisia
In history class in high school a friend of mine, who's a guy, loudly asked me to help him study the "Pubic War." Of course it was a slip (a Freudian slip?) and he meant the Punic Wars (Rome vs. Carthage). And then of course you all know where the classmates took it from there, speculating just what we would do while studying that...
Usurper MrTeapot
In a sample art history lesson I read out the date a sketch was drawn, was something like this.

"This was drawn sometime between the year 1334 and Leet." It took me a while to work out that I should have said 1337 instead.

[/sadgeek]
Sir Psycho Sexy
worst.typo.ever.

In the sentence "I need a cold shower" I slipped up and put another letter instead of the c >_<

*hides under a duvet*
Phyllis
I once made a pretty bad typo myself. We were talking about gum, and I MEANT to say that I was addicted to gum. Instead, I put a C somewhere in there....I'll leave it to you to guess where, but suffice it to say that it was met with all the guys in the chat room saying my bf at the time was a lucky bastard. dry.gif
The Lorax
I'm extremely dyslexic. (I mix up words and such things) And one day in class (English) we were being loud, and there was a discussion on potatoes. I was going to scream "I AM A POTATO!" instead it came out as "I AM A PENIS!" And everyone looked at me and laughed--my English teacher ended up laughing so hard she cried off all her makeup.... unsure.gif
arachnidoc17
Once, during a play waaaaay back in grade school, fifth grade i think, I was Scrooge in A Christmas Carol, and I forgot one of my lines.
Jaq
Answering the phone:

me: hello?
Korean person: yoboseyo?
Me: Hello?
Me: Hello?!
Korean person: Yoboseyo?!
me: agh! *click*

>_<
Quoth(The Raven)
My sister: "Let's do this alphabetically... Who's the oldest?"
depressed lonely crazy person
i as in a play in year 8 so i was 13 at the time,i was supossed to wear these really ickyilly high heels and the first time i put them on i tripped fell backand landed on a guy i had a crush on,
i allmost ebowed him in the face, avioded that by accidently putting my hand in his lap and then proceded to try and get up with out damaging anything vital and ended up falling on him agian this time practically smothering him with my boobs and when i finally got up i tried to run and hide and fell down the stairs on the side of the stage.
and when i came backnobody said a thing about it
exceptional1709
Answering the phone:

me: hello?
Me: Hello?
Me: Hello?!
Korean person: Yoboseyo?!
me: agh! *click*

I've done that once or twice, and the person has always turned out to be some really important person calling my dad about his work from Japan or somewhere.

A girl in my history class was once asked by the teacher, "what religion was Elizabeth I?" Without hestitation she replied "Prostitute." (She meant Protestant.)

When I started at my youth orchestra, the girl sitting next to me asked me "what's your name?" She spoke really quietly and I couldn't hear her, so I asked her what she had said. When she said it again I still couldn't hear her, so I asked her again. I still couldn't hear her, and, not wanting to ask a third time, I opted for the safe option and said "I don't know." Subsequently I found out what she had been saying and felt silly.

I have also done the "calling a teacher Mum or Dad" thing many times.
Misty Rain
[School

Dreaming on a hot afternoon

Teacher shouts in my ear, (they always pick on the one who has gone away in the head) "You! what do we get from The Spice Islands?"

Me' quick as a flash, "Slaves?"

Misty Rain
Black-Wings
I just have to ask, how can you confuse a teahcer with your mum or dad? I mean, so different!... one is Satan on a pogo stick and the other is your mother!
exceptional1709
It's not that we confuse our parents with teachers... well, one of my parents IS a teacher but anyway... it's just that it always accidentally slips out at the worst possible time!

Another embarrassing thing I've done is to accidentally go to the doctor's wearing two bras, on the one day when the doctor wanted to look at my shoulder blades or something so I had to take my top off... I decided it would be better to try to remove one with my top, so I looked exceedingly silly in the process and then had to hide it while the doctor prodded my back painfully.
Usurper MrTeapot
When I was in year 8 I was babysitting my cousin who kept putting make up on me as part of some game. I had most of it all off and I forgot about my painted toenails (blue and red, stylish). It didn't matter anyway as I thought we had rugger the next day and i could put socks on over my school socks to keep me warm and not reveal toes-a-paintedness.

Unfortunatly the pitch was closed to put new turf on and we had to do indoor basketball barefoot. I was caught in the changing room trying to scrape the paint off...

*has never lived the day down*
gothictheysay
I could fill a book with these, but my mind has been kind and buried most of them from memory for now...

That said, I had plenty of childhood moments running up to people who weren't my parents and hugging them or screaming to them. When I am talking about someone (usually a teacher) to someone else, the teacher tends to "magically appear". I've certainly probably called a teacher mom or dad before. However, my daily mistakes enunciated are disastrous and many.

Memorable typo #1: babysitting had an h thrown in after the s... somehow.
arachnidoc17
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Dec 15 2004, 12:46 AM)
My sister: "Let's do this alphabetically... Who's the oldest?"

My old Algebra teacher would often say something like "Let's start with Number A..."
little_bear
Plently of experiences, but as gothictheysay said, most of them have probably been repressed tongue.gif. I do remember having multiple instances of whenever I swore in school, there was always and I mean always a teacher behind me. Usually the expletive in question was very strong as well, and at a time when my mood wasn't exactly peachy.
kidvicious2punk
once my mom was about to sneeze
and the phone rang

so when i answered i said "achoo?"

lmao

and one time i didnt know how to fix my sig so in every post i just wrote

------
pokeman is evil

or sumthin ghetto like that
Faerieryn
QUOTE (Black-Wings @ Dec 17 2004, 10:07 PM)
I just have to ask, how can you confuse a teahcer with your mum or dad? I mean, so different!... one is Satan on a pogo stick and the other is your mother!

I IS A TEACHER THANKYOU VERY MUCH

(sTAMPS FOOT HERE AND GOES OFF IN A STROP!)
Forever Unknown

Mummy?
Snugglebum the Destroyer

But not an English teacher, no? tongue.gif laugh.gif

Couldn't help myself...
little_bear
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Dec 20 2004, 06:11 PM)

But not an English teacher, no? tongue.gif laugh.gif

Couldn't help myself...

Drat you, beat me to it. tongue.gif
Forever Unknown
My slip-up of the day:

"Can anyone else at all at all?"

Bah!
gothictheysay
Ah, not to worry, I haven't had too many teachers I classify as "Satan on a pogo stick", Ryn. I'm sure you're not, either. tongue.gif
Black-Wings

Ooh, sorry. I'm sure that you're a very nice teacher.. I mean.. I've had a few of those... but the majority of teachers I've had are mean.
exceptional1709
My slip-up of the day: It was worse being at home with eyes than it would have been to be at school with no eyes. (I missed out the word "sore" before "eyes" both times)

And I'm sure our very own Faerieryn is a very nice teacher smile.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Dec 20 2004, 12:07 PM)

I remember my first Strop... Four doors, electric blue, with a V-8 engine... (Sorry, couldn't resist... laugh.gif).
Phyllis
Not long ago I was talking to Jaq about this song I'd heard on a sex ed video when I was a kid. She wanted to hear it, so I attempted Googling.

At the time, my parents had the Google toolbar (I was on their computer)...which saves all your searches. So for a few minutes I was all panicked because the lyrics I'd chosen to type into Google were "We've all got the anus."

Thankfully I figured out how to delete it.

Today a guy a rather like came over, and I realized after he left that my bra was laying on my bed. I also had to rush and turn the computer monitor off, cause I'd been talking about him..lol.
Quoth(The Raven)
My Grandmother regularly sings in the Cantata at her church... one time, she had to sing, "Jesus will fill up your heart..." There was another verse, which mentioned a hole. You guessed it. She split the difference, and sang, "Jesus will fill up your hole..." Wish I'd been there... laugh.gif
arachnidoc17
I know a bajillion people with my name (I was even named after my father), and so I am always embarrasing myself when someone shouts my name and I turn around, but it's really just someone else with my name...

Also not looking when they really ARE calling me...
Black-Wings
I've done the whole thing when you're talking about someone in one conversation on MSN and you're talking to them in another... and then you get the conversation mixed up...
exceptional1709
I did that yesterday, Black-Wings!
Xkitsurabamix
"I hope you join us for Christmas Dinner"
"yeah, you too"

x . - oi.
I looked like a goof infront of Ma Peche's mother.
Quoth(The Raven)
From a storeclerk: Have a good day, and come back soon!
Me: You too!

Gah! blink.gif
Daedalus
Assistant in Waterstones: Would you like a free academic year planner?
Me: Umm... *ponders* Are they free?

I've done the whole thing with calling people mum or dad, but not restricted to teachers. I've called my cousin dad before, and done the same with some friends.

Much gah.
Righteous
I recall telling someone recently that I got inscense for Christmas, but I accidently said "incest." Thinking quickly, I pretended to say something, forced a studder then started again, this time saying "inscense."

I've also called my mom, my sisters and my girlfriend by eachother's names when they piss me off since they seem to piss me off in the same manner.
Asenyth
Whenever leaving work a bunch of people would always leave together and be all like "Bye!" and "Have a good night!" Except they were saying this not to me usually, but I always seemed to say "You too!" Hrrumph... Oh and the teacher/family/friends name switch thing goes on all the time. Generally I call my boyfriend mom, my dad by my boyfriend's name, and I try not to call my mom, just kidding, she just gets called mom. And I completely understand the whole thing with people saying "you too" to clerks and stuff. I worked at a movie theater for some time (Loews Cineplex if you know of it) and we would have to say "Enjoy the show!" to every customer after a transaction. Often enough when I felt like making people feel bad (yes, I'm awful like that), when they would say "You too... oh no, nevermind..." I would respond, "That's right, I'm NOT going to enjoy the show. I'm just going to stand here like a dope wearing this awful uniform and sell you popcorn on a Saturday night like I don't have anything better to do! Thanks for reminding me!" And then I would smile and say just kidding. I think everyone thought that I was crazy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.