Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Question...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
porcelainwarrior
Um, I've had photoshop 7.0 for quite come time now and I'm still rubbish. Namely cause I can't trim round things properly so it looks like my four-year-old cousin got loose but also cause I don't know how half the stuff works, and if I do know what it does I can't seem to make anything gel nicely together.

Perhaps I'm just unartistic but I'm determind to make something nice so...does anyone know of any sites with decent photoshop tutorials? I've been looking but everything seems to be along the lines of "make a tentacle/glowing ball of light/firey words". All very pretty indeed but a little bit useless to me.

Help!
Mata
There are loads here http://www.good-tutorials.com/

There should be something that you find useful! The healing brush tutorial currently in the front page is quick, simple, and might be the sort of thing that you're looking for.
Misty Rain
[quote=Mata,Dec 15 2004, 01:27 PM]
There are loads here http://www.good-tutorials.com/

There should be something that you find useful! The healing brush tutorial currently in the front page is quick, simple, and might be the sort of thing that you're looking for.

Have you used any of this stuff yourself?

The reason I ask is because I have soent many hours and 100s of pounds on courses run by charlatans who might be digital wizards but are not teachers.
I would love to get any digital image processing to work properly.

I am at a sort of crossroads.

Do I spend 500 or so on a good enlarger, up to medium format, which I know works or spend it on machinery that might never work?

I start off thinking I will make a good picture using this computer and after a couple of hours have to walk away from it.

Misty Rain
Mata
I've used Photoshop for over ten years now. I missed a few in the middle and have never really caught up with the evolution that it made during that time, but you'll find that pretty much every professional studio in the world uses it.

If you really want to learn to use the software (rather than play around with it, which is what I tend to do) then get yourself a good book. I recommend going to a local bookshop and seeing what's out there. Personally I've always highly rated the Friends Of ED books http://www.friendsofed.com/ but have a look to see if anything tickles your fancy. F.O.ED haven't done a 'Foundation Photoshop CS' yet, but there is one for version 6 which would probably see you through the basics quite thoroughly.

Once you've spotted something you like then get it out of the library. If you still find it useful a few weeks later then buy it. Books are a great source and just because there is so much online it doesn't mean that it's always the best!

Misty, I know exactly what you mean about people who are great at something but cannot teach it. I've sat in classes where people are trying to teach things that I know about and it can be really painful watching a person who has knowledge but no way of communicating it to people in a way that is useful to them. Teaching is really a very tricky skill, I've taught workshops on Flash animation and circus skills many times and I think I'm pretty good at it now, but it's still always a challenge.
Misty Rain
[Thanks,

I will give it a go.

I know I see and take good pics.

Its getting them to the stage of hanging on them the wall that's hard.

Misty Rain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.