Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something Has Gone Horribly Horribly Wrong....
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Sir Psycho Sexy
ok, I've been having issues with my computer for a little while recently, I think I can trace it back to when I put a new CPU and cooler in but it seems to have caused major instabilities in Windows too....I have no idea if this is actually possible, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it is....

Anyway, it's surpassed itself this morning by creating a TEMP user directory and using that instead of my one, i've no idea why but it's bloody annoying and I can't seem to find a way to undo it, the simple solution would be to reformat, but I'm getting new hardware over christmas (motherboard, it need to be reformatted for that anyway) and I'm leaving my computer at university over christmas so it seem pointless to do anything to it for the sake of a few days, anything anyone can suggest maybe a quick fix??

failing that, lets all have a good giggle, seeing as I've not actually lost anything I don't see it as a major problem, but it is something of an inconvienience...
Tarantio
My friend found that the Windows update package #2 created faults and destabilised certain motherboards, as a similar thing happened to him. After much work finding and isolating the cause, he found that simply NOT having the update was much better than having it, and solved all of his problems. Possibly due to the new hardware in your computer, this or similar software updates are incompatible, or at least causing instability in a similar manner.

Then again, I could be way off. I'm no expert here. Maybe someone else can offer a better explanation?
Sir Psycho Sexy
*cries* i've lost all my bookmarks too!! i backed them up, I KNOW i did!! sad.gif

also, it's decided that the C: is full...how and why I don't know....Computers hate me, I know it sad.gif

EDIT: found my bookmarks!!! yay!
Wasat
I'd say run an ad-ware check (Ad-Aware and Spybot- Search & Destroy) and virus check with latest definations.

I fixed a girl's laptop this summer that was on the verge of crashing when ever it was on do the amount of spy/ad ware on it. And some of your issues could be that. If not, try getting latest drivers for components from the manuafacure's websites.
Mata
Two things I always suggest:

1 As Wasat says, scan your machine. you can do if for free here

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

2 Defrag your harddrive. If you've not done that for ages it can cause some weird things to happen. (My Computer, right click C: > Properties > Tools > Defragment drives )
Sir Psycho Sexy
I do use that virus scanner....AND I use ad-aware and Spybot S&D, though I don't like Spybot, it take issue with things that are important to the running of my PC. I think it has something to do with the new processor I installed a few weeks ago, something seems to be taking issue with it and to be quite honest I'm too lazy to be bothered to change it back because the moron who put my motherboard in (not me) managed to shear off a screw head, which means I have to take out he PSU to be able to remove the CPU cooler and like I said before I'm getting a few new bits of hardware for Christmas so I'll wait til then to sort it out for proper, for now, it seems to be working well enough, I'll just be too scared to turn it off for the next few days tongue.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
i fixed it! yay!!!
Oni Usagi
Well, what was the problem then? laugh.gif And how? Maybe somebody else will experience a similar problem.
Quoth(The Raven)
yeah, don't keep us in suspense...
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Dec 16 2004, 01:32 AM)
i fixed it! yay!!!

read as: I broke it even more so now it only starts in safe mode

DAMMIT I HAVE AN ASSIGNMENT I NEED TO BE DOING!!!
Mata
You can keep us in suspenders though. That's rather fetching, but I'd have to shave my legs first...

Ah, that's Mr Fuzzy's version of fixing. When he fixes something on my computer it means that two other things (or, in today's example, four) stop working.
Sir Psycho Sexy
oh wait....it decided to restart on its own *shakes fist at lsass.exe* but now it's working normally again....I think it's trying to drive me insane

oh, and I fixed the problem I had with my C: where it wouldn't believe I'd deleted something so making it full, but I found something on the control panel in the system options that let me delete it proper and now it's all good again

....i think I'm not going to get this assignment in on time now >_<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.