Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's Left Of My Hometown
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
MistressAlti
For those of you that didn't know, the tornadoes that ripped through the midwestern US yesterday ran right through my suburb of Kansas City. All these pictures are from within a two-mile radius of my house. My family and house are all fine; many of my friends' houses are not.

My personal thoughts about all this will be explained in detail on the blog probably later tonight.

For now... the pictures tell enough... I saw these houses go up, I've lived in Gladstone my entire life, and now they're gone...

hinsley
sad.gif thats real bad. sad.gif

*gives mistressAlti a biiiiiiig hug*
Debaser
that is scary...nature is a bitch when it wants to be...
Raven343
I'm sorry MissyA....I know how you must feel right now. sad.gif
leopold
OMG!!!!! That is soooooo scary!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I'm so glad yer family are okay, an I hope all yer friends are too...

/me gives missy a big hug
Jaq
Poor Missy Alti... That looks really scary..
MistressAlti
For those of you with a RealPlayer version... You can see more of it here. I drove on this same street Friday night.
MistressAlti
And thank you for all your kind words... It's still very hard to see this stuff, but the shock of it is gone. I'll be headed home on Thursday to see it all for myself...
MistressAlti
I just saw a girl I know on TV... weird. Her fish survived.
leopold
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 5 2003, 05:39 PM)
Her fish survived.

Good to see yer news coverage bein so thorough there laugh.gif laugh.gif

Leopold apologises unreservedly to anyone who is offended by his flippancy during this crisis. However, he is of the belief that humour can be a positive aid in the recuperative process. So there!
phoenix
omg!
thats real bad.

big huggles missy
Sun Tsu
Sorry, MissyA. sad.gif

Sun Tsu
MistressAlti
QUOTE (leopold @ May 5 2003, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 5 2003, 05:39 PM)
Her fish survived.

Good to see yer news coverage bein so thorough there laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yeah, whomever said bettas were damn near impossible to kill wasn't kidding. wink.gif
LoLo
I'm really sorry about the whole thing Missy, I'm glad to hear that your family and the friends that you've heard from are all ok.......**big hugs**
MistressAlti
Thanks Lo. I really appreciate your being there for me in the chat yesterday. It was a real help to get my mind off of things.
LoLo
No problem, I specialize in being an ass to distract people from stuff.

Speaking of which I should start on my rant for today, I was inspired!
saucy_tara
Sorry to hear about the tornado damage Missy, I'm glad you and your family are safe. I'm sending big psychic good wishes to every one who was affected by this.
MistressAlti
Thanks tara, I'm sure that they need the good wishes right now.
craziness
oh my. wow. well, im glad the people are ok, and remeber, the houses can always be rebuilt, have hope!
CrissiLove
****GivesMistressABigHug**** I'm really glad you and your family is okay....
Tarantio
okay... random freakyness...
this was just on the news here in scotland
same town, same pics.
yikes. sympathies from me...
MistressAlti
What a way for Gladstone to find fame...
leopold
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 5 2003, 10:27 PM)

Indeed...

Still, could be worse... where I live is famous fer bein home to three of the most notorious mass murderers of the 20th Century... Ya wanna try cuttin stuff wi a spoon laugh.gif laugh.gif
Pikasyuu
Jesus H. You didn't sacrafice the pig, did you?
oxym0ronical
Wow.. I was reading about this earlier. My thoughts are with everyone there.. I'm glad your family is okay.
DOUBLEMINDED
those pictures are bad, looks like a scary place to have been
MistressAlti
QUOTE (syuu @ May 5 2003, 05:30 PM)
Jesus H. You didn't sacrafice the pig, did you?

Heh. Nope. I wasn't there when it happened, I was on my campus 100 miles away by the time we had the pig conversation.
DOUBLEMINDED
QUOTE (leopold @ May 5 2003, 10:29 PM)

Indeed...

Still, could be worse... where I live is famous fer bein home to three of the most notorious mass murderers of the 20th Century... Ya wanna try cuttin stuff wi a spoon laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif spoon laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
leopold
QUOTE (DOUBLEMINDED @ May 5 2003, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (leopold @ May 5 2003, 10:29 PM)

Indeed...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif spoon laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

No kiddin! Ya wanna try gettin a knife here... it's easier ta get hard drugs!

Oh, an all medical practitioners are viewed with extreme suspicion too...
DOUBLEMINDED
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif @easier to get hard drugs
Pikasyuu
Drugs is bad. Go take up drinking instead.
MistressAlti
I could use some of them hard drugs myself...
DOUBLEMINDED
QUOTE (syuu @ May 5 2003, 10:41 PM)
Drugs is bad. Go take up drinking instead.

now theres an idea, i was thinking the same myself
MistressAlti
Gah, too bad I'm at academy... no alcohol for me...
leopold
I'm not surprised, considerin...

(Heh, watch how deftly I steer this one back on course!!)

That's way scary is that... I think it's definitely worse cos a tornado is utterly random...

/me gives missy a huge hug

Me thoughts are with ya honey...
MistressAlti
Thanks leo. I got a report from someone who got power back this morning. 3 more of my friends are confirmed safe and their houses unharmed. 2 more people I know are homeless.
DOUBLEMINDED
are you due for more, or is a tornado just a 1 hit, then dont come back thing, i dont know alot about them
Pikasyuu
Wow. What area is that? I have family there. Not that there's any caring between us. But still.
leopold
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 5 2003, 10:45 PM)
Thanks leo. I got a report from someone who got power back this morning. 3 more of my friends are confirmed safe and their houses unharmed. 2 more people I know are homeless.

No probs Missy... I hope everyone is unharmed an safe... An I hope yer homeless friends are sorted out really soon...
MistressAlti
QUOTE (syuu @ May 5 2003, 05:47 PM)
Wow. What area is that? I have family there. Not that there's any caring between us. But still.

Areas in KC area that were hit: Liberty, Leavenworth, Gladstone, Riverside... those were the hardest hit inside the city limits...
cheese is funny
that sucks missy... im sorry to know that the first pictures ive seen of a tornado destroying a city happened to a friend.. <hugs missy> i hope none of your friends have been hurt
MistressAlti
Thanks cheese. And no reports of injuries from anyone I know yet, so... hope.
MistressAlti
Check out the size of this mofo. Good lord.

And more damage pics...

Free Psycho
<gives missy big huge gigantic death grip hug> Pooooooooooorr Missy!! That is so unbelievably awful...but hey, at least the fish survived... wink.gif
MistressAlti
Heh. The betta made it, but 32 other people didn't. The irony.
leopold
My initial reaction to these pics... I'm gonna say it, even though it'll get me in bother, but I dun think I can say anythin that comes close...

FECKIN HELL!!!!
DOUBLEMINDED
thats big and skeery
MistressAlti
QUOTE (leopold @ May 5 2003, 06:09 PM)
My initial reaction to these pics... I'm gonna say it, even though it'll get me in bother, but I dun think I can say anythin that comes close...

FECKIN HELL!!!!

Yeah, that's about what I said. Somewhere around 450 meters across, that one.
leopold
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 5 2003, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (leopold @ May 5 2003, 06:09 PM)
My initial reaction to these pics...  I'm gonna say it, even though it'll get me in bother, but I dun think I can say anythin that comes close...

FECKIN HELL!!!!

Yeah, that's about what I said. Somewhere around 450 meters across, that one.

What, the profanity??? laugh.gif laugh.gif

That's some scary shiznit there missy... I really hope it goes away an leaves ya all alone...

/me gives missy a huge hug

Dunno if that'll save ya or anythin... but it's worth a shot, I guess...
MistressAlti
>hugs leo back<

Just got a report that says that we're in for rough weather again this coming weekend... bloody hell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.