Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's The Link Between Mata And A Gramophone?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Mata
That's the best joke I can think of at the moment...

Due to an ear infection I've got a ruptured eardrum and so am now almost completely deaf in my right ear. I'm rather miffed about this to say the least.

Looking at things from another perspective, if this is the worst thing that happens to me this year then I figure life really isn't too bad. It would happen a few months after I finally get a Dolby 5.1 set-up in my living room too wouldn't it? biggrin.gif

Anyway, the theory is that it should heal in less than two months, so it's not all bad.
Xkitsurabamix
;_; owch.
i've been there. i had a horrible ear infection, and i had to drop this stuff in my ear every hour or so, so i was bedridden for a few weeks. it was over my vacation, so there was no real 'getting up and doing anything', si i just laid there for two whole weeks with my little dropper, feeling utterly miserable.
did they give you the drops that make your eyes water when you put them in?
make you pull your ear so it goes in deeper?
ahh!
my eyes are watering thinking about it!
Mine was after swimming at a friend's house. I've been vulnerable to water in that ear ever since
*consoles Mata*
depressed lonely crazy person
ick i've ben there i had an ear infection when i was 7 over the christmas hollidays, one of the most prominante christmas memory is of that year being held down to have drops put in my ear while i could see the lights on the tree fleshing
Mata
No drops, just 12 pills of three varieties per day. Three painkillers and one anti-biotic, three times a day.

I'm quite impressed really, it was actually far more painful than when I've broken bones. At least they usually only throbbed a bit when you weren't standing on them, the ear however felt like it had been stuffed with a bowling ball that was now inflating and trying to take my head with it (yes, an inflatable bowling ball, you can only imagine how much pressure it would take to make that happen).

I've also discovered that it feels incredibly unnatural to hold the phone to my other ear.
Usurper MrTeapot
Ouch poor Mata, bowling ball? Sounds excruciating. What caused the ear infection? I've never known anyone to have an ear infection of any sorts and thought it was very rare.
Mata
I suspect that it was the surgery that I had on my nose a couple of months ago. I've not been able to get a complete fix on it yet, but there is the possibility that if there was any infection there then that could have passed to the nose through a connecting tube.

Basically there are three areas in the ear, the ear canal, which goes from the ear itself to the eardrum, then there's another cavity which has the bones in it and is connected via a small tube to the nose, which allows for pressure changes to not harm the eardrum, and then there's another membrane before you get to the tubes with the balancing bits and bobs (at least, this is how the doctor explained it to me). What appears to have happened is that there was an infection in the connecting tube/middle cavity which caused a build-up of goop in there, which has now burst through the eardrum to relieve the pressure, rendering me very nearly deaf on that side (and explaining why it was so painful).

I suspect that the infection may have come about due to swelling in the nose caused by hurried and slightly shoddy surgery. I suspect the swelling blocked the tube to the middle cavity, stopping it from functioning normally. If that is the case, which I'm going to check with my GP next week, then I am going to give the surgeons hell.
Polocrunch
REALLY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THAT, MATA. INFECTIONS IN THE HEAD ARE ALWAYS THE WORST, WHAT WITH ALL THOSE ESSENTIAL ORGANS BEING THERE. HOPE YOU GET BETTER SOON, AND KEEP TAKING THE DRUGS.
saucy_tara
Poor Mata *hugs gently*
I hope you feel better soon darlin <3
Black-Wings
Ooo I hope that you get better really soon!!!!!!!.. I hate it when your ear feels funny and so yours must be horrible.. Humbadum...
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Jan 4 2005, 05:06 PM)
REALLY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THAT, MATA. INFECTIONS IN THE HEAD ARE ALWAYS THE WORST, WHAT WITH ALL THOSE ESSENTIAL ORGANS BEING THERE. HOPE YOU GET BETTER SOON, AND KEEP TAKING THE DRUGS.

There's nothing wrong with his eyes ya fecking ejit!
depressed lonely crazy person
what was the goop like?
exceptional1709
Aww, poor Mata. I really hope you feel better soon. smile.gif
Mata
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 4 2005, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Jan 4 2005, 05:06 PM)

There's nothing wrong with his eyes ya fecking ejit!

Aww, but it gave me a giggle biggrin.gif

QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Jan 4 2005, 06:37 PM)
what was the goop like?

It's a lemon-yellow colour and watery. Not nice at all. There also appears to be a rather large reservoir of it. I wasn't going to describe this because of the yuckiness of it all, but you did ask...

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I have to say, being half deaf is really rather interesting, and it's making me even more thankful than I usually am that for the most part my body is quite healthy. It's this kind of thing that really reminds you how lucky you are to have all your senses and limbs. Having a roof over my head, running water, and enough food as well as pretty good health just seems excessivly lucky compared to all the other nasty things going on in the world.
Phyllis
Aww, that sucks Mata. I ruptured one of my eardrums when I was about 8, so I can sort of symphathize. I don't remember much about it, since I was 8 and all, just that it was very painful and all the goop scared me. Hope you feel better soon.
elphaba2
Feel better! Ears are important things. I have several pinned on my jacket pocket.
ravein
awww.. I am sorry to hear that! I was wondering where you have been. I hope you get to feeling better and remember whisky works great as a painkiller. Just put some on a q-tip and rub it in your ear!
froggle-rock
Aw, how crappy. Hope the drugs do work smile.gif And I really do hope that this infection doesnt lead to another one.

*makes sure she huggles Mata on his left side* What? I don't want goop on me!

Seriously hunny, I hope you get better soon. wink.gif
Ashbless
I'm sorry to hear about your hearing. Did you say it will come back in your now deaf ear? *crosses fingers*

(I remember nearly passing out from a minor ear infection. My hearing in that ear when in and out and I yawned to try to pop my ears. Stabbing pain and my knees buckling followed. /spam. )

Get better soon! *hugs*
artist.unknown
Poor mata. Sorry to hear that. I get ear infections pretty regularly, and I have to make people repeat things so often I'm amased no-one's clobbered me over the head in exasperation (not that no-one's tried; I run fast ^^). Hope it gets better soon.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 4 2005, 03:27 PM)
Basically there are three areas in the ear, the ear canal, which goes from the ear itself to the eardrum, then there's another cavity which has the bones in it and is connected via a small tube to the nose, which allows for pressure changes to not harm the eardrum, and then there's another membrane before you get to the tubes with the balancing bits and bobs (at least, this is how the doctor explained it to me).

*snigger* I wish they explianed it to us like that!

*composes self*

I'm sorry to hear about it, I don't have first hand experience but I've seen quite a few people with similar problems and I empathise.
Hope it gets better soon
<cheekyness>
... any chance (if I can get my hands on an otoscope) that I could have a look at the meet?
</cheekyness>
gothictheysay
Ouch. I've had ear infections, but never had an eardrum ruptured. Sounds very painful. Get better soon. That's an order. =P
MistressAlti
Awww, poor Mata! *hands bowl of chicken soup* Don't worry, that cures everything. wink.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
I had a hamster that had a similar sort of problem, I had to squeeze the stuff out twice a day and put drops in her ear, walked around with her head at a wonky angle for a while two...she survived it though.

It's sorta interesting to think about though, I've been studying hearing at university, all about the perception of sound and how you hear where it's coming from and difference tones and all that toss...very interesting....mostly...
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
Eep... that must really suck. Does it hurt still?
Hope you get better! *hugs*
Feyliya
Awh....::me huggles::
I know how horrible ear infections are. I had them so bad when I was ickle that the doctors were supprised I managed to keep my hearing. ::me huggles more::

Ruptured ear drums do heal in about 2 months. It's when the infection isn't treated that the worrying should start. So long as you stay on the meds, things are normally fine. And I bet it's just pills because the infection has ruptured the eardrum. I imagine the pain would be waaaay too much for ear drops with the drum all bloody and popped and stuff. At least, I think that's what I remember the doc saying the last time it happened to me...
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (ravein @ Jan 4 2005, 04:05 PM)
awww.. I am sorry to hear that! I was wondering where you have been.  I hope you get to feeling better and remember whisky works great as a painkiller. Just put some on a q-tip and rub it in your ear!

One word: OoooooooW!
Quoth(The Raven)
Sorry to hear about the ear (Pauses for round of boos and hissing...). To echo several others, I had a ruptured Eardrum when a child. My Half brother had to have tubes put in his ears, when he was young, to drain them. And about a year ago, I woke up to find a blood stain on my pillow, and crusty brown stuff on my right earlobe... never did find out what that was about... blink.gif

Anyway, there is life (And hearing) after an eardrum rupture. Hang in there!
Jaq
Ooh dear, that sounds horrible Mata. I've heard everything turns out for the best in cases like these. I hear that they're doing great things with painkillers nowadays. Listen; you'll be back to 100% really soon and this experience will resound with you for years to come in the aurals of your personal history.

*runs*
Mata
The painkillers are good, but there is the disadvantage that they are making me have great difficulty in thinking straight about subjects, which is not very useful when you're trying to study!
Snugglebum the Destroyer
they are making me have great difficulty in thinking straight

So, now's the time to ask for money?

Right? laugh.gif
Mata
If you say so...

Can I have some money please? biggrin.gif
Asenyth
Ear infections do very much not rock. When I was little like 4,5,6 years old I used to get them at least once a month (never burst the ear drum though, thank goodness). A warm wet cloth in a plastic baggie over the ear always seemed to help a lot and I always took L. Acidophilous with the anti-biotic because the anti-biotic just kills all the good stuff in your body and my doctors and my mum said to take it and it does help with some certain bad organisms from taking over. I would readily suggest this if you are going to be on anti-biotics for a long time, but of course ask your doctor and just because some random American forumite said this doesn't mean that it is good for everyone, just trying to be helpful that's all. smile.gif I do hope you get better soon and can hear even better than before. Take care!
Cath Sparrow
Poor Mata. Hope your feeling better *hugs on none goopy side* tongue.gif
Wyvern
*Hugs carefully avoiding ickyness*

Sorry your ears being nasty Mata hope the meds do their job quickly, if you like I could design/breed a matchbox to help. It might keep you distracted long enough to not notice any discomfort! tongue.gif

Hope you get better soon, you have to be fit enough for me to bounce on at the meet Id feel guilty if you were fragile, Id still bounce though! biggrin.gif
Cassidy
*hugs for Mata*
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Wyvern @ Jan 5 2005, 08:44 PM)
*Hugs carefully avoiding ickyness*

Sorry your ears being nasty Mata hope the meds do their job quickly, if you like I could design/breed a matchbox to help.  It might keep you distracted long enough to not notice any discomfort!  tongue.gif

Hope you get better soon, you have to be fit enough for me to bounce on at the meet Id feel guilty if you were fragile, Id still bounce though! biggrin.gif

She bounces everyone!!!! rolleyes.gif
Wyvern
I try and bounce with affection! tongue.gif

Also I promise to show due care and consideration should your status still be fragile Mata! biggrin.gif
Mata
It's likely that I'll still be at least partially deaf when it comes to time for the meet, and I'll likely have cotton wool stuck in it anyway to try and stop nasty stuff such as germs and smoke getting in there, which will mean that even if it's nearly healed up I'll still have an excuse to ignore people standing to my right biggrin.gif

I've got an appointment to see my GP next Tuesday, so hopefully I'll find out then the extent of the damage.

I spoke to a friend of mine on the phone earlier. Apparently several of his friends have had ear infections and they all agree that it is the most painful thing that they have ever experienced. The painkillers are doing a good job, but in-between the hours when I can take them some of the pain does get through, and so I'd hate to have to feel it without them. Oh well, there's another four days of pills to get through so hopefully it should be cleared up soon.

Thanks for the hugs everyone!
saucy_tara
So I could stand on your right and say anything i wanted without you hearing??
Hmm
*debates doing worst opera singing*
evil.gif
Anyway babes I hope your're feeling oodles better, and are'nt having too much pain after coming off the hazy pills xxxxxxxx
Mata
Not too much pain. There was some last night so I took painkillers again, and my ear still feels blocked. I'm off to the GP's tomorrow (Tuesday) so hopefully I'll get the full damage assessment then. I think it's going to be good news because my hearing in my right ear isn't too bad now.
Mata
There still appears to be an infection in the outer ear, and I'm still in some pain but my hearing is pretty good still, so I'm hoping that there wasn't much damage there. I've got some antibiotic goop to stick in my ear for the next week which should, in theory, cure it completely.
Feyliya
Yay for goop! I hope it cures everything swiftly! It's good to know that you're getting better!
monkey_called_narth
just spray some windex in there... itll get better... heh... i promis smile.gif
Mata
Ooo, windex, I've not tried that...

I'm supposed to keep the eardrop goop in the fridge. I have discovered that putting refridgerated liquid in your ear makes your whole body feel massively cold. This illness really has been very educational.
exceptional1709
When I had conjunctivitis I had to keep my eyedrops in the fridge and that made you cold when you put them in too- plus my eyes seem somehow to be connected to my throat so I could always taste the eyedrops too- they were exceptionally bitter.

I really hope you feel better soon Mata smile.gif
porcelainwarrior
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 12 2005, 01:59 PM)
Ooo, windex, I've not tried that...

I'm supposed to keep the eardrop goop in the fridge. I have discovered that putting refridgerated liquid in your ear makes your whole body feel massively cold. This illness really has been very educational.

Yes the same thing happens with icecream when you put it in your ear...not that I'm recommending this as a course of treatment, I found out the hard way that just cause something feels the same as medicine it doesn't mean it is...

*Sob*
spiffilicious05
*caution -- this post was done on little sleep; spelling may be appauling*

windex? then your ears would be squeaky clean!

This whole scenareo (sp?) reminds me of when I'd visit my little cousin in the hospital. She frequently got pneumonia.

Anyways, the doctor would always ask to check her ears and in order to do so he'd have to say that barney was living in her ears and that he wanted to see how barney was doing....and elmo in her throat...I think most of her body was occupied by fictional characters.
Mata
Fictional...? Barney... Yes, I can understand that, it always did strike me as odd that he was a dinosaur in this age... But Elmo too?!? Say it ain't so! blink.gif

QUOTE (exceptional1709 @ Jan 12 2005, 03:59 PM)
my eyes seem somehow to be connected to my throat so I could always taste the eyedrops too- they were exceptionally bitter.

Yep, the tear ducts are connected to the nose, which is why you often need to blow your nose when you cry, and the back of the nose goes down to the throat. It seems pretty much everything in the head is connected to the nose, which strikes me as a bit silly considering the amount of bad-goop that goes around in there. I don't know... We should make some adjustments to the human blue-print I think. It's all just shoddy design.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I absolutely agree, Mata. Perhaps you should write a formal letter to the God of your choice?

We could start a petition... biggrin.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Technically the ears and the nose aren't directly linked, the eustation tube goes from the middle ear to the back of the throat, which is pretty close to the nose but not actually the nose. Might as well be the nose the way it affects it but meh.

Also, be glad that you don't suffer from any dizzyness. One of the major tests to see which part of your brain/vestibular system is causing the dizzyness involves putting cold water into the ear and seeing which direction your eyes flicker and then once you've recovered from that putting warm water in and doing the same... then doing it all over again on the other side tongue.gif fun times!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.