Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L337
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Asenyth
What exactly is this l33t thing? I've heard of it for years, I just don't understand. I figured one of the tech-ish people on this forum might know what it is and could explain or maybe send me to a l337 translator? Yeah, I obviously have no idea, please help.
Aria
1337 speak is where you replace letters with numbers, on a very basic level.
For example, you=j00
hacker=4ac|<er

I'm not very good with l337, though. If you want an example of leet speak, look up JeffK on SomethingAwful, it's pretty awful stuff.
Asenyth
Do the same numbers always mean the same letter?
Aria
Most of the time, afaik. Like I said, I'm not very good with it, but I think there are a few numbers that have different letters they can represent.
little_bear
I think its also an 'attitude'. Basically, it just allows people online to be total t****rs.
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (Aria @ Jan 6 2005, 01:10 AM)
hacker=4ac|<er

That spells Aacker

4 - A
3 - E
8 - B
7 - T
O - O

|< - K, |\/| - M, |\| - N etc

If you get really complicated then = is 3, % is y and some other complicated ones I can't remember.

I'm not sure if its true but it was supposedly used by early hackers so that their illegal websites wouldn't be found if you searched in a search engine.
Aria
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Jan 6 2005, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (Aria @ Jan 6 2005, 01:10 AM)
hacker=4ac|<er

That spells Aacker

4 - A
3 - E
8 - B
7 - T
O - O

|< - K, |\/| - M, |\| - N etc

If you get really complicated then = is 3, % is y and some other complicated ones I can't remember.

I'm not sure if its true but it was supposedly used by early hackers so that their illegal websites wouldn't be found if you searched in a search engine.

Ahhh, see this is where it gets fun. The circles of 1337 users I know uses 4 for H. I think possibly because 4 looks like an upside down lowercase H. /-\ is A. Anyhow, yeah.. Weird "language".
Mr Fuzzy
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Jan 6 2005, 04:25 PM)

Bah!
Leet actually predates what people think of as the internet today by a fair bit. It tended to be found on the old bulletin boards (some of which exist to this day) and was used not so much by hackers, as people who wanted to present a certain image of themselves. In this respect it hasn't changed a great deal.

It should be noted that the use of leet is frowned upon in these here parts.
Greeneyes
L337 isn't really something to can make a translator for, as it varies a lot. Reading MegaTokyo or Crtl-Alt-Del might help, if you're webcomic inclined smile.gif
Pab
I dunno if it's considered obvious, or what, but just a word to say the word iself comes from "elite" as in "look how long MY keyboard is" ... so 2 syllables, L-EET ... and yeah, surplus to requirements by all means
Asenyth
It should be noted that the use of leet is frowned upon in these here parts.

Yes, and when I was just randomly re-reading the rules is what made me wonder what l337 is exactly. I have no intention of using l337 because I just don't think I will ever understand it, and I have yet to break any of the posting rules so far. I am just a curious little kitten and curiousity killed the cat don't you know, but it was satisfaction that brought him back and now I am mostly satiated with what l337 is and somewhat about how it came about. Thank you all who helped me understand.
Mata
For anyone interested, here's the best article I've ever read about hackers:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

The final words are good:
Finally, a few things not to do.
    *Don't use a silly, grandiose user ID or screen name.
    *Don't get in flame wars on Usenet (or anywhere else).
    *Don't call yourself a ‘cyberpunk’, and don't waste your time on anybody who does.
    *Don't post or email writing that's full of spelling errors and bad grammar.

In many respects I have a hacker ethos but I apply it to aspects of life other than programming. I think that this is why I insist that the language on this forum be written in a manner that is easily understood by all other readers of that language.
Twitching
You should run a search on it in these forums. There's actually a thread in here (it's rather old) where the posts went into complete leet. I learned to read (and subsequently, type) leet from that very thread.

Oh oh! And here it is: LINKITY link link!
Feyliya
Ah yes, I remember that thread. I learned to read and type 1337 from there, too. Ahhh....nostalgia.....
/spam
Mata
Unfortunately (possibly) the thread appears to have been eaten by the database gnome, so all new posts bump it but don't appear, so I've locked it to save people posting more in there.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Unfortunately (possibly) the thread appears to have been eaten by the database gnome, so all new posts bump it but don't appear, so I've locked it to save people posting more in there.

That's your story and you're sticking to it, right? wink.gif biggrin.gif
Ryu
Tr@Di+I0N4l l33T

tradiional l33t

theres a l33t generator somewhere online....ill try to find it for you
Mata
No, that's fine, don't put yourself out...

(anything to keep 1337 off of my forums. I really do very strongly dislike the stuff)
Cruentus
I could be wrong.. but isn't 1337 actually 1337 for elite, and It's Elite Speech?
Feyliya
Yep.

%3p.

/spam

/5p4/V\
pgrmdave
I can usually read the stuff, but I can't write it, nor do I want to. I prefer standard American English.
Mata
It takes much longer for most people to read (not helped if people don't spell things correctly to begin with) and far longer for the average person to type.

If people really care about disguising their meaning then get a PGP key, otherwise I wish they'd just type in recognisable English!
mooooooooooopo
To save the souls of innocent anti-l337 forumites I figured this'd be the best thread for my 1337th post, so here it is.

*shudder*

At least it's quarantined off in this corner of the forum, would hate for it to affect a post in some other pure and wholesome thread.

(bah, if only I'd posted 10 minutes earlier the time would have read 13:37 *shudders more*)

There, all the l337 badness out of my system. smile.gif
Feyliya
After almost two years of posting, I am finally 1337. All bow down to my 1337 posting skilz! laugh.gif
Righteous
Somewhat spammish, but I know some guys who, when communicating during online games, use |337 to piss off the people their playing against. It works.
Feyliya
Randy and I do, too, to a certain degree. We just like confusing the heck out of people when we're playing with folks who don't know 1337.
I_am_the_best
10|\|9 1i\/3 1337!

It's quite scary, I can almost read it as fast as I read normal writing... unsure.gif
Righteous
I told Rick what |337 was (he's very non-geekish) and he went off. He couldn't believe people would actually do crap like this, "as if they think it's cool or something. What the Hell, man?" He had a similar reaction when I explained why I say "teh roxxor" sometimes.

I see |337 as something fun and silly to do every once-in-a-while, but I seriously don't get how or why people would want to do this seriously save coming across as cool though inadvertainly looking stupid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.