Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good Time And Bad Times
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Sir Psycho Sexy
Ok, so I got around to fitting my new motherboard today after managing to borrow a battery drill, you see, the problem wasn't putting the new board in, but getting the old one out, it's a long story and suffice to say the guy that installed it is a bit of a twat, aaaanyway, after about and hour and a half of gentle persuasion i FINALLY managed to get it out, in working order no less which i'm rather pleased about, so I installed the new board, had a little trouble lining it up, something wasn't clicked into place properly, anyway, other than that it was fairly straight forward, I put all the peripherals in, plug everything in and turn it on....well, I try to turn it on, I'm still not entirely sure what the problem is, though I think it might be under powered, i press the power button and it flicks on for half a second...then stops, thats it. The motherboard has two power sockets which I find very novel and probably means it drains even more power which is probably the reason for the not working, also, in the manual it reccomends a 350 watt PSU...mine's only 300, ordered a new one, but I'm going to be computerless until the one I've just ordered gets delivered because I really don't want to take the cpu and its heatsink off and put it on the other motherboard....and unplugging any number of hard drives and PCI cards seems to make little to no difference....it's not fair i tell you, just not fair...

I'm not even contemplating the possibility that the motherboard is faulty, that'd really make me a grumpy person...
eleraama
Well, look out, because a good half of motherboards manufactured don't work. But hopefully, yours does, and it's just your power supply (two plugs, eh? weird...). Trust me, there is nothing worse in the world that trying to disattach a power supply and heatsink... They shock you even when they've been off for days... *shudder*
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 10 2005, 12:00 AM)
The motherboard has two power sockets which I find very novel and probably means it drains even more power which is probably the reason for the not working, also, in the manual it reccomends a 350 watt PSU...mine's only 300, ordered a new one, but I'm going to be computerless until the one I've just ordered gets delivered because I really don't want to take the cpu and its heatsink off and put it on the other motherboard....and unplugging any number of hard drives and PCI cards seems to make little to no difference....it's not fair i tell you, just not fair...

Is the other Power socket a 4-pin one? Looks like the normal 20pin ATX one, but is just 2x2. Because Pentium 4s and some Athlons need that to get power to the CPU as otherwise it draws too much current through the normal 20pin jobbie, or so I'm told. If so, then you need to get a PSU which supports pentium 4, which just means it's got the extra 4pin 12V thingumabobbi on it so you don't slowly cook your computer smile.gif.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Yeah, I've tried all sorts of things, i think it's the motherboard, I'll get a new one and it'll all be t'riffic! Interestingly enough my new soundcard was having what appeared to be IRQ address conflict, but I changed it to a difference PCI slot and so far so good, strange huh? Though it still seems to spaz out after playing half life 2...not sure why...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.