Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hotmail...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
PsychWardMike
So I talked to my friend about this, but everytime I try to get into my hotmail, I recieve this screen and a myriad of pop-ups. No matter what I do, this happens. Each time. It has also taken over as my homepage. Does anybody know what this is, or better yet... how to fix it?
MistressAlti
Have you run your favorite version of anti-spyware program lately?
Feyliya
Do you happen to have Lavasoft's Adaware, or Spybot: Search and Destroy? If not, I'd suggest downloading and using them. Because it looks to me like you've got a nice little piece of spyware playing with your machine.
Ryu
spyware......go to control panel, performance, system restore...and restore it to like 3 weeks ago when hotmail worked
Mr Fuzzy
I'd suggest you don't use system restore, because it tends to undo everything you did which you wanted to do in that time, but leave any malware intact. See what Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware come up with, then if the problem persists have a go with Hijack This.
PsychWardMike
Thanks, all. My computer is running well now, due to the system restore. I completely forgot about that. However, I now need a new spyware system as the one I used before it didn't catch this. *flips off my current spyware program*
Jonman
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jan 12 2005, 02:39 PM)
Thanks, all.  My computer is running well now, due to the system restore.  I completely forgot about that.  However, I now need a new spyware system as the one I used before it didn't catch this.  *flips off my current spyware program*

On another note, stop using Hotmail.

I have Gmail invites - PM me if you want one - far far far far far far superior free web email....
PsychWardMike
I've got G-Mail (true.viewty[at]gmail[dot}com, for anyone who cares) but I like hotmail for no other reason than I can delete stuff.

And they upgraded the amount of memory you get now. There's 250 meg now. It's good stuff. Thanks for the offer of invites, though.

Once again people. PLEASE DON'T TYPE YOUR FULL CORRECT EMAIL ADDRESSES ON MY FORUMS! This place is scanned by bots constantly and you are bound to end up on junk mail lists - Mata]
Jonman
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jan 17 2005, 02:18 PM)
I've got G-Mail (true.viewty[at]gmail[dot]com, for anyone who cares) but I like hotmail for no other reason than I can delete stuff.

And they upgraded the amount of memory you get now.  There's 250 meg now.  It's good stuff.  Thanks for the offer of invites, though.

Fair enough. You realise that you can delete stuff out of your Gmail account as well?.

I just got narked off with hotmail servers being too busy whenever I wanted to get to my email though.
Novander
I realise you've got it fixed now, but you may want to change from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox. Whenever I open IE I get buggerloads of pop-ups.
pgrmdave
I've used Firefox, and (briefly) IE, but the best I've found is Slimbrowser.

http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/

-It's free, it is safer than IE, and it has a lot of useful tools.
Mata
Currently I swear by Firefox. There are so many useful extensions for it that it constantly makes my life easier.

http://www.getfirefox.com
Mr Fuzzy
Firefox also gives you the chance to be cool in an anti-trendy kind of way. You can say 'I'm using the browser everybody would be using if Microsoft didn't have a virtual monopoly. It's easier to use and, doesn't fill my computer with damaging crap!' thus rendering you one of the cognoscenti.
Quoth(The Raven)
I've recently had to GET a Hotmail account, because My ISP (And this is a one horse... erm... ISP town...) has been filtering my mail, bouncing back messages from a couple of my friends... We live in an age of wonders, allright... mad.gif
JimiJimi
Most spyware, malware and adware scripts are designed for IE, hence why it is better in the long run to use Firefox. Also, if anyone else has any spyware/malware/adware problems again, I seriously recommend Microsoft Anti-Spyware (available from Microsoft's website)
Mata
Currently 15% of my visitors are using Firefox, which is pretty impressive for a browser that's only on version 1.0. 78% of visitors use IE, the rest are divided up by 8 smaller browers (in case anyone's interested).
Moosh
Thats strange because I was sure I had Firefox version 4.0
Greeneyes
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Feb 7 2005, 06:26 PM)
Thats strange because I was sure I had Firefox version 4.0

Firefox only came out of Beta a while ago, hence why it's only on 1.0. Sure you didn't have 0.4 or something?
Moosh
Appearently I was confused and it is 1.0 that I have
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.