Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Moderators?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Jonman
OK folks, here's the scoop - I haven't run this past Mata yet, and at the end of the day, it's his decision, but here goes.

Let's assume that he goes for the idea of installing a couple more moderators.

3 questions:

1; do you think it's a good idea for one or 2 mods to be installed?

2; who'd be up for it i.e. applying for the job. I suggest only those with a degree of maturity (not necessarily meaning age).

3; also, who do you trust to carry the vast burden of moderating - i.e. nominations

as I say, just an idea, I feel that the forum's growing to the size where my occasional presence, and mata's rarer presence may or may not be enough.

Not to mention that I'm off on business for several weeks shortly, and probably won't be on at all.

Mata, whaddya think?
Jonman
Oh yeah, and as an aside, Mata won't get this until tomorrow - the poor lad's just gone to bed.

So, by then, we should have a fair amount of opinions of whether it's a good idea, and maybe even some nominations.
cheese is funny
im up for it... and i would do my best to keep things mellow and fun...

nominations - leo and crissi
gerbilfromhell
i nominate leo, he's the only frequent poster mature enough to use his mod power on angry hatefull ppl and not someone who disagrees with him (not sayin that others aren't qualified (like crissi) but if we're gonna get another mod, we mindas well get one who'll be here A LOT!)
CrissiLove
I think the idea of more moderators sounds good... just because things have been getting so out of control lately.... who we nominate (in case Mata does take our nominations seriously) should be thought out very carefully....
prezgfish
the darling crissilove should get the forum remote just like the brain remote

leo is a wise choice too methinks

i might be a bad choice it depends on whether or not i could handle the power

i would probably just pm people and ask them to edit posts themselves though unless i heard a BIG complaint
leopold
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 8 2003, 12:14 AM)
im up for it... and i would do my best to keep things mellow and fun...

nominations - leo and crissi

WOW!! Thanks fer the vote of confidence Cheese smile.gif

I'd suggest crissi, missy, lolo, inky an cheese... those guys show a lot of maturity here an I'd be happy to see any of them with the role.

Please please don't anyone say "why not me?" I'm not gonna start that!

I have no objections to bein chosen as a mod... but if I'm not made one, that's cool too...
prezgfish
i can see this becoming a poll can you?
ravein
I really don't think it has come to that yet. I think that a thoughtful post from Mata or Jon telling folks to settle down would handle it. Things are not that bad honestly. We just need to maintain that open atmosphere where people can discuss ideas, the animations, stupid stuff, the weather.. etc..
prezgfish
the weather is very important especially considering what happened to missy (your in our thoughts love)
craziness
i definitly DO NOT nominate myself. i think crissi would be a great mod! missy would also be very good, as would cheese, and i am surprised no one has thought of lolo! leo would be great as long as he keeps it down with the ish stuff. oh..... if only inky were here, what an excellent mod he would be.... as would jaq. but *sigh* those 2 arent. but i think we should make sure not to push anyone into it.
CrissiLove
okay... I am taking this very seriously here, so don't get mad at me for not putting some of you on here... LOL the people I think of as being the most mature and level-headed (therefore would make good moderators) are: LoLo, Leopold, and Cheese smile.gif That's just my opinion though and I'm sure that there are others who would make good moderators and I'm sure that Mata and Jonman will give it careful consideration before deciding!
leopold
QUOTE (craziness @ May 8 2003, 12:37 AM)
and i am surprised no one has thought of lolo!

erm... I did think o LoLo... not that I'm braggin or owt...
craziness
woopsies...didnt see that
JAQ IS HERE! YAY!
Jaq
Thanks for the vote of confidence Craziness smile.gif I would like to be a mod, but I don't think I'm here often enough for the job. I think that Leo, Crissi or LoLo would be great
prezgfish
inky is never here and cannot be a mod because of it
craziness
i know *sigh*
/me wipes tear from eye
prezgfish
crying why?
cheese is funny
yay! jaqs back!

i didnt want to nominate you cause you havent been on... but you would make a great one.... if your gonna be online more, ill happily nominate you
craziness
first of all, i think that debaser would make a fine moderator, and i am nominating him right now.

i was crying coz i miss my e-bro.
prezgfish
oh
Jaq
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 8 2003, 12:45 AM)
yay! jaqs back!

i didnt want to nominate you cause you havent been on... but you would make a great one.... if your gonna be online more, ill happily nominate you

Aw, thanks Cheese. wink.gif
MistressAlti
If I was nominating Mods, my suggestions are LoLo and leo. Both are good folks with maturity behind them. Also on my list would be InKy, but he'd be ineffective due to his frequent absences.

I don't know whether moderators would be the best way to solve things, but I'm willing to wait and see if it helps.
prezgfish
ok final nominatrions from gfish

lolo leo crissi
leopold
I hafta say I'm utterly stunned by the number of people who've nominated me as a mod biggrin.gif

Wow! I'm overwhelmed!!

Thanks you guys biggrin.gif

/me hugs everyone

I'm feelin the lurve here tonight!
prezgfish
QUOTE (leopold @ May 8 2003, 12:59 AM)
I hafta say I'm utterly stunned by the number of people who've nominated me as a mod biggrin.gif

Wow! I'm overwhelmed!!

Thanks you guys biggrin.gif

/me hugs everyone

your not that suprised really admit it
craziness
am i the only one who thinks debaser would be a great mod? he helped with the chat room, and he is a really great guy, hes on here a lot, hes always civil, he never bugs anyone, hes computer smart, and hes mature enough to handle it!
leopold
QUOTE (prezgfish @ May 8 2003, 01:02 AM)
QUOTE (leopold @ May 8 2003, 12:59 AM)
I hafta say I'm utterly stunned by the number of people who've nominated me as a mod  biggrin.gif

Wow!  I'm overwhelmed!!

Thanks you guys  biggrin.gif

/me hugs everyone

your not that suprised really admit it

No, really, I AM!!!! I mean, I figured I might get the odd vote o confidence... but from everyone who posted here???

I really am overwhelmed!
Free Psycho
<whispers> Leo and LoLo, if we must..
prezgfish
i believe that new mods are not necessary and that is has been blown

waaaaaaaaaay out of proportion if anyone has a problem

jonman and mata can handle it

they both good guys

most of the time
Free Psycho
ohmy.gif
CrissiLove
QUOTE (craziness @ May 7 2003, 07:02 PM)
am i the only one who thinks debaser would be a great mod? he helped with the chat room, and he is a really great guy, hes on here a lot, hes always civil, he never bugs anyone, hes computer smart, and hes mature enough to handle it!

I agree... I also think debaser would make a good moderator smile.gif
LoLo
Wow thanks for the vote of confidence in me from those who thought of me. biggrin.gif

I don't know who would make a good moderator.......and I'm a bit of a mess in the head today on such a topic, so perhaps I'll throw in a nomination or two in the morning.

Had a bad day, and now have a headache, so I'm not thinking too well at the moment, but yeah I appreciate it guys. biggrin.gif
craziness
feel better lolo! i was very "sick" again today...........
Jaq
I think most of the people that joined before April would be great moderators. The forum was very nice when I first joined and I think that the people that were there then were very mature, witty and wise and I think that they have stayed that way.
craziness
lol, i joined before april, i would be a horrible mod. most is the key word there lol.
leopold
A lot o people who joined before April dun even post here any more... it's just us "hardcore" members from that era...
Jaq
Yah well, you get what I mean. Geez, listen to what I mean, not what I say tongue.gif
leopold
Sorry Jaq... I know what ya mean...

*writes reminder to self... "keep fool mouth shut!"*
Jaq
QUOTE (leopold @ May 8 2003, 01:43 AM)
Sorry Jaq... I know what ya mean...

*writes reminder to self... "keep fool mouth shut!"*

That's better!

/me goes off to be confusing to other people
Pikasyuu
Nominations for Jaq and LoLo.
MistressAlti
QUOTE (leopold @ May 7 2003, 07:37 PM)
A lot o people who joined before April dun even post here any more... it's just us "hardcore" members from that era...

Hehe. "Hardcore". Yep, that's me. Mmm.

laugh.gif

Love the choice of words. I get a beautiful mental picture.
racingaway13
ok so now im back... of course no one even noticed i was gone... oh well, i guess no one notices how much i do post here... oh well... so i take my leave of absence, 6 days without forum on my own. i come back here and lo and behold... theres a new person with 700 posts another member and a thread about mods!
i have 3 letters for this
WTF?
i feel like a deer in the headlights... im all confuzzled now and i just dont know what to think...
well on to my nominations.. leo
leo is about the only truely mature one of us that isnt a mod just yet, i dont know about anyone else but i am announcing that, upon his vow to leave ish VS. ness out of moderation, i will support him entirely
also, i dont think its all about # of posts though, i think there are plenty of people who could just moderate a little, since we really dont need a 24/7 watchdog on here. i think that because people think it has to be a true constant person they are leaving out some regulars but not the most posts people, so just keep your mind open, for all you know the entire international court pannel of judges could be members here and they only have 60 posts each....
LoLo
Here's my talley not that it matters much.......and I know not everyone has spoken yet including myself, and I'm surprised at the lack of nominations for some who have been nominated.

Leo - 9 people
LoLo - 8 people
Crissi - 5 people
Inky - 3 people
Jaq - 3 people
Missy - 2 people
Cheese - 2 people
Debaser - 2 people
LoLo
Ok I've made my decision, I think everyone on the list would be great candidates........just in Inkys defence he has been wanting to be a Mod since before Jonman became one.........so now here's the new standings

Leo - 10
LoLo - 8
Crissi - 6
Inky - 4
Jaq - 4
Missy - 3
Cheese - 3
Debaser - 3
Free Psycho
Just to put my two cents in: I don't think this is very necessary. I agree with prez that this has been blown out of proportion. Just leave it be. We all had a fight, we're done, now let's forget about it and move on. I don't personally want the feeling I'm being "watched" more than is needed or someone telling me what a spam is and I can't do that. They may be annoying people, but they certainly aren't harmful.
oxym0ronical
Not that I'm here much either, but.. I do think there should be at least one other mod. There have been a few evenings and a few threads where we've needed something/someone here to kind of level everyone out.

Is there an option to keep the mods "invisible"? If so.. I'd suggest picking one or two people who can step in during the few times it's needed without drawing attention to themselves. This way, nobody really feels like they're being watched, and there's still someone to fall back on should the need arise.
The Tortured Soul
i'ed love to... but i don't think u'll pick me... someone better suited who has probably already been nominted i would say Inky... maybe even leo coz he's a kool dude and i think he's been where a while...
poppa.moo
QUOTE (Free Psycho @ May 8 2003, 05:54 AM)
Just to put my two cents in: I don't think this is very necessary. I agree with prez that this has been blown out of proportion. Just leave it be. We all had a fight, we're done, now let's forget about it and move on. I don't personally want the feeling I'm being "watched" more than is needed or someone telling me what a spam is and I can't do that. They may be annoying people, but they certainly aren't harmful.

I must agree. I know i've not been here much at all, but Big Brother is not what this forum needs in my opinion, although i do understand why this topic has arisen. It's just a shame that some people act the way they do.
Mata
Hmm..

Right, I'm still thinking about this but I think I will put at least one more mod on here.

Just to clarify things a mods role is not about 'watching' it's more about being available to help when people ask for it. We're not here to shout at people, and despite the occasional mass spamming I've only PM'd (via Jonman) that this stops once.

Mods do have a role to play in keeping an eye on content such as swearing and links to unsuitable material but what is more important it that you all keep an eye on this an tell us about things that are upsetting you. We can't be around all the time and so we need you all to tell us when something is wrong. You all know the rules.

If there is any 'policing' then it should be by all of you, not just us. We are here to step in if things get out of hand, but this forum is made up by us all as a community, not as a dictatorship that the mods rule over. I certainly know that Jonman and myself listen to the views of people on here whenever we are making a decision. As a forum we have to work as a group.

Yes the mods do have power to edit posts, links, delete avatars and suchlike but generally we do so in accordance with the rules of the forum and with the views of you all.

To take an example, whilst there is a rule prohibiting explicit sexual discussion there was a thread about fetishes. Everyone in the thread, as far as I saw it at least, was not being explicit but there were things that in other threads would have been pushing it. Was this a time for Mod power to be used? No, because the thread was clearly labelled and you as users have to take responsibility for what you want to read. There could have been things posted in there that would have been deleted but people kept that content out of their posts.

People are being their own moderators, and you are all helping Jonman and I do our job should things get beyond reason. What we do is just browse around, have fun and keep the peace but this is your responsibility too. If we have more moderators this doesn't change a thing on the forum, it just means that as users that want to chat, be open-minded and have fun you have more people looking out for others who are causing problems with this.

I'll let this thread run for a couple more days then I'll chat with Jonman about what we will do. It's likely that we will make one or perhaps two new moderators and I hope you all will be happy with the decision that we make.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.