Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Graphics Card
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Sir Psycho Sexy
I feel like I've narrowed my choice down to two finalists, the Geforce 6600GT or Radeon 9800 pro. They both seem fairly evenly matched to me, though the 6600 has a marginally higher clock speed and a better choice of manfacturers, though a friend of mine says radeon are better so I'm a little stuck as to which one to pick?
Feyliya
ATI Radeon all the way. Nivida is teh d3v!l. ph34r.gif

Seriously, ATI is better for gaming. So I'd go for it. But that's because I game a lot.
DarkInferno
I've heard the 9800 pro sounds like a banshee with the stock heatsink.. (so i'd swap that off asap) but other then that i've heard nothing but glowing reports about it.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Thanks guys biggrin.gif

*mutters something about not being able to cancel an order*
Feyliya
Laramon says, and I quote "I was quite extatic about the 9800 series until I saw the X600, 700, and 800. But if you don't have the cash, go for the 9800 series. nVidia is just just overpriced and now it's just an underachiever. ATI over nVidia is the equivilant of AMD over Intel."
Sir Psycho Sexy
He build's computers doesn't he? I trust people that build computers, I try to do things in my computer and things just go wrong, I'm not doing anything fundamentally wrong I don't think, though I've been known to do a few stupid things, I just have REALLY bad luck with computers....though I managed to drill out a sheered off motherboard mounting screw AND the motherboard still works!! Anyway, I've found a nicely priced one and no, I can't afford an x800. *weeps at the cheaper PCI-E cards*

heheh if ati over nVidia is like AMD over Intel....is they why they developed SLI and intel made Hyper-threading? tongue.gif

*shakes fist* dammit give me an invoice number so I can cancel that damn order!!! (talking to e-retailer)
Greeneyes
QUOTE (DarkInferno @ Jan 29 2005, 10:52 PM)
I've heard the 9800 pro sounds like a banshee with the stock heatsink.. (so i'd swap that off asap) but other then that i've heard nothing but glowing reports about it.

All the reports I read said that the stock heatsink/fan was a bit on the crap side. I've got a 9800 pro, but I've got one with an arctic cooler on it. Works fine. Thing is bloody massive too. smile.gif
Novander
I just got a Radeon 9800XT. Its good, but yeah - the fan does make a fair old amout of noise. I'd choose the Radeon over the GeForce any day, though.
DarkInferno
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Jan 29 2005, 11:43 PM)
QUOTE (DarkInferno @ Jan 29 2005, 10:52 PM)

All the reports I read said that the stock heatsink/fan was a bit on the crap side. I've got a 9800 pro, but I've got one with an arctic cooler on it. Works fine. Thing is bloody massive too. smile.gif

Yeah thats the one I normally advise people to fit to their 9800's

Nice cooler... if a little on the large side smile.gif

QUOTE (Novander @ Jan 30 2005, 12:07 AM)
I just got a Radeon 9800XT. Its good, but yeah - the fan does make a fair old amout of noise. I'd choose the Radeon over the GeForce any day, though.

May I suggest fitting an arctic cooler to it... laugh.gif
They aren't too much (about 15 last time I looked) and are fairly simple to fit.

A warning thou, your graphics card will take up 2 slots with that beastie mounted to it.
Sir Psycho Sexy
These arctic coolers, do they use need one of those system fan plugs on the motherboard? If so, do they come with long enough cables, mine seems to be in a bloody stupid place down by the IDE busses...
mooooooooooopo
Heh, most motherboards (including my shuttle) have several connectors in various places.

You can also get Molex to 12v fan adapters pretty easily, though the motherboard won't be able to monitor the RPM of the fan that way.
DarkInferno
I think it pulls power from where the existing fan is plugged in tongue.gif

even if it doesn't, it will come from a 4pin molex connector, its fairly rare for any fan to be terminated with the 3pin 12v fan header without giving you another option..

I try to make sure none of my fans are powered via the mobo, as it is a practice best avoided in my opinion, just running the yellow fan wire for monitoring to the 3pin smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.