Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suck List
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Greeneyes
Recently (today and yesterday) I have been having some issues with my computer, which I have compiled into a 'Suck List', so I can get them all sorted out. Unfortunately, I'm not having much luck on some of them, so I'm going to detail them here in case anyone has any suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

1) Memory. I recently changed 2x 256MB PC2700 DIMMs to 2 x 512MB PC3200 DIMMs, but my computer still thinks it only has 512MB of RAM in it (at least, Windows does). The motherboard can take DDR400 up to 2GB, so that's not a problem, but aside from taking out the sticks, and putting them in one at a time to see if one is broken (which I would rather not do unless there are other suggestions as I prefer not to fiddle with boards unless I really have to), I can't think of anything else that may be the problem.

2) Zip Drive. Many many moons ago, I bought an external Iomega Zip Drive (250) second hand with a bunch of disks for a very nice (Read: cheap) price. Now, I've only gotten around to installing it recently, because of other computer issues, which are now resolved. After sticking the Drive onto the PC (via Parallel port), it recognises that it is there, and is indeed a Zip Drive, and the nice little light comes on at the front. But, i) the disk already in it will not eject. I'm not too familiar with the things, so I'm not sure whether it requires software to tell it to eject or something like that, but pressing the glowy button yields no disk, ii) Looking at the Drive in the Device Properties, it comes up with "Code 10 error". A little research on google showed this meant that the computer had difficulty assigning resources, and suggested changing the IRQ and thingies manually, to get rid of any conflicts. Problem : It says there are no conflicts. Also it said Code 10 applied to serial devices, even though it is connected via Parallel. Something else to note might be that the parallel port itself marks tehre being no error, only the device. To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if the thing was buggered, as I've read about them having some recurring problem, but it was worth it just for the disks.

3) Tape Drive. As a second-hand-whore (please don't take that the wrong way), I found a backup drive (magnetic tape cassette, not audio though) at a car boot sale for a fiver along with tape. Greeneyes see, Greeneyes buy. That's how the world works. Anyway, the thing is now on the slave of one of my IDE cables, and spins the tape a bit when it goes in, but the computer does not recognise it's existence. One posible cause of this may be that I've left the jumper on the master pins instead of the slave, so I need to remove it again to check, but I would also like to know a place where one can find more generic drivers. All I seem to be able to find are drivers for specific drives, or sites that you have to pay on. Again, any help is appreciated.

4) If anyone knows where that bloody adapter is, please tell me.

5) Why can't people put the pins on power connectors straight?

AthlonXP 3200+
MSI KT6V LSR
1GB (hopefully) of PC3200 RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro (not that it has anything to do with any of the problems)

Thanks in advance.
Sir Psycho Sexy
The RAM issue might have something to do with the change in clock speed, I put a new processor in which had a faster FSB than the older one and it caused Windows a whole host of problems, reinstalled windows and it works fine now, might be just that.

As for the tape and ZIP drive, who knows, might be worth a try looking for new drivers (try looking on the manufacturers website) or it might just be outdated hardware OR there might be a reason it was so cheap (e.g. it's broken)
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Feb 11 2005, 11:55 AM)
The RAM issue might have something to do with the change in clock speed, I put a new processor in which had a faster FSB than the older one and it caused Windows a whole host of problems, reinstalled windows and it works fine now, might be just that.

As for the tape and ZIP drive, who knows, might be worth a try looking for new drivers (try looking on the manufacturers website) or it might just be outdated hardware OR there might be a reason it was so cheap (e.g. it's broken)

The RAM clock speed is set to automatic in my BIOS, so I could try setting it to what it is specifically.

Also, I don't know the tape drive manufacturer, so I can't look up their specific drivers. Will try for zip though.
Sir Psycho Sexy
I mean when I upped the speed of the fsb on my cpu in bios, it made windows extemely unstable, it might be something similar, but I'm not an expert, what brand is the RAM and I assume you're running XP?

edit: I ask the brand because there's a table of reccomended brands for pc3200 RAM in my motherboard manual and they're the same brand so I assume you'll have a similar table
mooooooooooopo
Tape drives tend to be kinda specific driver wise, especially on Windows since they operate quite differently to a hard disk or CD ROM and tend to be less standardised.

It might help to look for distinguishing features of the drive or just google any random numbers that happen to be written on it to try and track down what make or model it was in order to find the right drivers.

Does windows detect it as unknown hardware or just not detect it at all (the latter implies that it is broken or the jumper settings are bad).
Mata
About the zip drive:

http://saturn.med.nyu.edu/it/help/zip_disks/

There's loads of stuff about this problem on the web. It's quite common and I've occasionally had it with my Zip 750 drive (I've got a big one so I can keep a live backup of my website files and PhD thesis).

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=zip...le+Search&meta=
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Feb 11 2005, 01:02 PM)
I mean when I upped the speed of the fsb on my cpu in bios, it made windows extemely unstable, it might be something similar, but I'm not an expert, what brand is the RAM and I assume you're running XP?

edit: I ask the brand because there's a table of reccomended brands for pc3200 RAM in my motherboard manual and they're the same brand so I assume you'll have a similar table

Well, my manual doesn't contain a table like that, but the brand is Elixir, and is actually the same as the previous RAM I was using, and that worked fine. And yes, I'm using Windows XP home.

QUOTE (moop @ Feb 11 2005, 01:51 PM)
Tape drives tend to be kinda specific driver wise, especially on Windows since they operate quite differently to a hard disk or CD ROM and tend to be less standardised.

It might help to look for distinguishing features of the drive or just google any random numbers that happen to be written on it to try and track down what make or model it was in order to find the right drivers.

Does windows detect it as unknown hardware or just not detect it at all (the latter implies that it is broken or the jumper settings are bad).

Windows does not detect it. Full stop. It doesn't appear as being attached to the slave in BIOS either. I'll have to check the jumper and read up on zip drives tomorrow, as I've got to work now. sad.gif Thanks for the help.

Edit: The commonly occuring problem I had read of before was the 'click of death'. As far as I've had it, the drive had made no noise whatsoever. And oddly enough, I can't actually find the manual eject hole thingy. I chacked for it ages ago, but I can't see on there at all.
Greeneyes
Okey. update time. Turns out one stick of RAM was dead. So, after getting a replacement, I put in in the box, turn it on, and...fails to boot. I tried putting both sticks in the first slot (one at a time) and they both work seperately, but the thing won't boot with them both in. Seeing as the sticks work seperately, and the amount of memory isn't an issue, I'm assuming this is likely to be a motherboard problem, though I can't say I'm very knowledgeable on the matter, nor can I see why a dead second slot would prevent the computer starting up, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
In other news, I can't be arsed to sort the tape drive out right now, and I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that mein zip drive ist kaputt. Also that damn connector still evades me, but it shall not last long. 'tis no match for the dyson.

Thanks in advance.
Mr Fuzzy
For the Zip drive problem I suggest that you take a look in your Bios to see whether you have the setting for 'Plug N Play OS' turned on or not. If it is set to yes you can sometimes have problems because Windows (particularly versions sold for home use) can be terrible at handling IRQs. Have a crack at changing it. If that doesn't help you can try going to Device Manager in Windows and rem,oving everything. It may seem extreme but it can do the world of good to make the machine redetect everything and assign resources. Just be prepared for many reboots in a row.
The memory issue could be a little more awkward. If your motherboard is from the budget end of things and the memory is a little odd you could possibly have a problem with something called double banking. Some memory modules are designed in such a way that they appear to be a matched pair. This is often cheaper for the manufacturer to produce. The problem is that the cheaper end of the memory controller market doesn't normally include support for it. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to find out whether it is your problem other than to speak to your mainboard and memory manufacturers.
Mata
Aargh, RAM issues... It took me about six months (or it certainly felt like it) to finally get two sticks that would work at the same time. The solution for me? Buying really expensive RAM sticks.

My Zip drive has finally died, so, after paying rent and buying food, the next thing on my list is going to be an external hard-drive. I've got bored of the Zip drives being unreliable, and I figure an external HD will be a bit more reliable with about a gazillion times more capacity on it and will be just as easy to remove and hide when I go away. Problem solved.
Greeneyes
Flah. I think I'll play around with the sticks to see if the slot is working or not before I start phoning *shudder* customer service. Thanks. I'm beginning to think this computer hates me. As far as playing with hardware goes anyway. And the zip drive can go on the pile of stuff to dismantle out of interest (i.e. the floor).

*mutters about MSI*
Mata
All computers hate everyone.

It's a big secret so I will have to kill you now I've told you.

On second thoughts, don't read what I wrote above, that would save a lot of bloodied spoons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.