Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mcjaq Meet, 30th + 31st July
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tarantio
Right, this took a little longer than I might have hoped, but here's an almost comprehensive list of places to stay in glasgow, including the hostel and everything! (although why its listed as four star I'll never know...)

hotels etc.

EDIT: link is broken, use the one at the bottom and click on "places to stay" or some such nonsense. nice search engine available.

the same site has a search engine if you're looking for something more specific:

searchie!

If you have any questions about the locations of each place, send me a PM with links to the ones that you were looking at and I'll tell you how easy to get to they are in a reply.
Unfortunately there wont be any available floorspace, I'm very sorry to report, as my dad's house is still a bit of a building site at the moment, and likely will be until sometime next year, but hey, whatcha gonna do?

Travel: The bus is something you lot should sort out yourselves, if its gonna be going forward, and you can discuss it here so that it's nice and easy to look up the arrangements for those that'll be intereseted in it.
For people who aren't going on this magical mystery tour, I highly recommend getting a megabus and booking early, as long as you can put up with a long stuffy bus journey (or two, as it were, since you'll need to go home aswell). Details and booking available here: thuper!
Of course there's always trains too, and if any of you are going by rail just let me know and I'll arrange pickups/meets etc. everything's nice and central in glasgow (mainly), so no worries about travel when you're there, eh?

On the day: Glasgow has more than enough stuff to see and do, and I would imagine most people would have a bit of time to spare to see and do stuff, so also please let me know which of the following interests you the most:
shopping; museum browsing (all free, have been for years...); wandering (ie sightseeing); drinking (we'll be doing this in the evening anyway, but if you wanna start early I have no qualms smile.gif).
I had it in my mind that perhaps a mix would be a nice thing; seeing the sights means vistiting places like the GOMA (and its collection of mini-moshers), Kelvingrove Park, Sauchiehall Street and Buchanan Street (with their many, many, many shops), and perhaps a few other "interesting" places as well, though this should take up most of an afternoon.
The obligatory lunch can take place at any one of the five (!) pizza huts in the cityu centre, or else we can go to a Bella for less greasy pizza and a selection of other yummy italian foods too, or else there are a huge range of other places (TGI Fridays [though this is expensive], chippy's, Fast food joints, tea rooms, continental food, indian and chinese places... if italian isn't your thing then say so). My recommendation, though is the Bella places, as they're fairly inexpensive, really tasty and quite nice, plus they have a good range of food for everyone's liking...
The evening has a choice of pubs, including Rufus T Firefly's, O'Henry's and the Solid Rock Cafe (not actually a cafe, nor made out of solid rock, but great place nevertheless), our usual haunts and probably the best pubs in town, and for those of you that can stomach it I'll be offering up a night at the Cathouse to finish it all off (should last from half eleven til half three, heavy rock, metal, punk, some dance, great niteclub if you're not a chav, cheap drink and great people!), followed the next day by whatever takes people's fancies according to travel arrangements etc. Also if anyone turns up on the friday evening then similar arrangements can be made for that, but I'll sort that out when I know when you're all coming.

So replies here should include:
are you intending to show up?
who are you travelling with and how are you travelling?
when do you intend to show up?
where are you going to be staying?
when do you intend to leave for home?
what are your preferences for the above suggestions?
does my bum look big in this?
are you bringing cath with you?
if not, why not?
(the last three don't need to be answered truthfully)

also, general queries should be posted here, as well as discussion of travel and accomodation arrangements, so that other people know where you're going etc. Any specific queries directed at me should go to my PM inbox.

Right, that about sorts things. Looking forward to seeing you all (possibly again, depending on who you are), and getting blazingly drunk in your company! Huzzah!

EDIT: actually, most things you'll need to know are on this site here: seeglasgow
I've just been browsing it and its bloody handy!
mooooooooooopo
I'm undecided at the moment, I want to show up but work are arseholes. Basically it boils down to two options:

1) Work might shut my office down and I either tell them to bugger off and move back home to Worcestershire or move to Hemel Hempstead near London, both of which neatly bugger the meet up for me.
2) They don't close the office down and I stay in Edinburgh till the week after the meet meaning I'm nice and close and can make it easily.

Once their HR people get out of denial and stop telling me the office closure won't affect me (WTF? they're laying off 90% of the office next week) and actually tell me what is gonna happen I'll post again with actual answers. smile.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
probably
who knows, train and on my tod probably
havn't thought about this properly have i?
hostel probably, unless someone wants to splash out and share a room at the hilton with me? tongue.gif
sunday I expect, but again, who knows?
yes
yes (well you might as well have at least one honest answer)
no
if not, why not?
because she's a big girl and can make her own arrangements
MistressAlti
Not involved, just a post to pin and bring to the top.

Link to old thread "Jaqmatameet", that thread has been unpinned.
Greeneyes
I wasn't going to post until I had something sort of organised, but if it's just interest we're expressing, I might as well do it now.

i) Are you intending to show up?
Yes, circumstances permitting. Probably ought to inform parents too.
ii) Who are you travelling with and how are you travelling?
Will probably be {Gothic Angel}. To be confirmed. Method also be be thought up. Then confirmed.
iii) When do you intend to show up?
At the crack of Dawn, right after the sun spills into the valley but before the cock crows. If Scottish cocks do that. Assuming I'm not late.
iv) Where are you going to be staying?
I can manage one of the cheaper hotels I think. Depends on other people.
v) When do you intend to leave for home?
See (iii)
vi) What are your preferences for the above suggestions?
The mixture thing sounds good to me.
vii) Does my bum look big in this?
No. It does not.
ix) Are you bringing cath with you?
Ehm....no.
x) If not, why not?
Ehm...She's scary? tongue.gif
Phyllis
Well, I'm going, no matter where I am at the time. Which may be 1 of 3 places. It's all rather up in the air now, so I'll let you know the exact details at a later point.

That was a rather pointless post, wasn't it? Oh well I just wanted to clarify that I'm still going, and felt stupid answering all your questions with "I don't know yet." unsure.gif But as for my opinion on the stuff...sounds fine to me. I'm not that much of a picky eater.

And no your butt doesn't look big in that. I won't be bringing Cath cause I am special and get to see her in a mini-meet. So I'm going to use that to gloat at you all. tongue.gif
Jaq
That I am

Travelling with Froggeh on the bus.

We intend on showing up on the early morning of July 30th. 6:50 am is when the bus gets in..

Taraseses

August 2nd

I have no preferences. I'm not picky about food, drinking sounds fun, and if I'm not completely burned out on museums, I'd like to see those too.

Oh no darling, the colour brings out your eyes, and omigod, is that cashmere?! Get it! *squeals*

Not unless we become surgically attached between then and now.

if not, why not?
Because that's too expensive and I think she wants to live her own life. *sniffs dejectedly*
Tarantio
QUOTE (Jaq @ Feb 13 2005, 02:59 AM)
Friend's house.  I think.  ?

Better believe it wink.gif
Wyvern
Circumstances allowing yes, Im going to try really hard!
Probably solo either by train or air got to get that sorted.

Preferably in time for the meet, I'll get back to you on that one ASAP.

Hotel/ B&B something else I have to sort.

Not sure yet.

Anything goes.

Possibly *peers round self* I cant see could someone tell me please?

I intend to try but I can't promise anything!!!

if not, why not?
Because it she's difficult to catch and kidnaping could be tricky!

Sorry if some of this is still a little vague but currently my job situation may result in redundancy and if that happens I might not get. Im determined to try though!
Cath Sparrow
Aaaawwww! I feel so loved. wub.gif You know I want to be there but I got to be some where just as important other wise I would. sad.gif
{Gothic Angel}
i) Are you intending to show up?
I hope so. I need to talk to my parents about it. Hopefully, dad won't have a problem and he can persuade mom for me. Hopefully.
ii) Who are you travelling with and how are you travelling?
Greeneyes. Method TBC.
iii) When do you intend to show up?
Will depend on method, although it will definately be saturday.
iv) Where are you going to be staying?
I can do cheap hotels and stuff.
v) When do you intend to leave for home?
See (iii) minus the saturday thing
vi) What are your preferences for the above suggestions?
I wanna see the mini moshers! biggrin.gif
vii) Does my bum look big in this?
Yeah, but who cares, it looks hot tongue.gif
ix) Are you bringing cath with you?
Ehm....no.
x) If not, why not?
Cos... Greeneyes thinks she's scary? tongue.gif
porcelainwarrior
Oh my god! A Scottish Matameet? Yay! I must gatecrash, hope no-one minds...

This is where you tell me you meant the Glasgow in South Carolina isn't it...?

yup, if that's be ok
Fallen Element, train (or car if I have my license by then)
erm...whenever I'm told to?
In a gutter...if I'm lucky - I might just go home, not too far away and I can come back and be annoying again the next day
sunday I expect, but again, who knows?
go you?
no, you're positively scrawny lad, have a pie!
no
if not, why not?
because it's gonna be hard enough to chloroform Fallen and get him on a train without being noticed
Tarantio
QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Feb 15 2005, 12:16 PM)
Oh my god! A Scottish Matameet? Yay! I must gatecrash, hope no-one minds...

This is where you tell me you meant the Glasgow in South Carolina isn't it...?

because it's gonna be hard enough to chloroform Fallen and get him on a train without being noticed

i) no, of course we dont. silly tongue.gif
ii) no, of course I dont. silly tongue.gif
iii) I can help with that, sinse I'm naturally closer to him anyway (we're both in Dundee, to the best of my knowledge...)

hurray! It'll be good to finally meet you, porce, after two years of not bothering despite the small distance between us...
porcelainwarrior
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Feb 17 2005, 05:09 PM)
iii) I can help with that, sinse I'm naturally closer to him anyway (we're both in Dundee, to the best of my knowledge...)

hurray! It'll be good to finally meet you, porce, after two years of not bothering despite the small distance between us...

Good good, you get the clothesline and I'll get the sedatives...Gavin...we're comin' to get yoooou!

And yes, we are the King and Queen of lazy poo-bums. It really is quite spectacularly bad, especially since I have a reason to go to Dundee now (to see my Gav) and it's not an actual effort like before...
Jaq
Ah, as Cand has pointed out, Tara has forgotten to an important question

What would you like to be called? (AKA The Hey You With The Thing... Good Old What'syerFace Question) I like Jenn but I'm not picky. Jaq, Jennifer, Hey You, Oy... they all work.
Phyllis
I'd prefer Cand I guess, since the majority of British people I've spoken to out loud pronounce Candice incorrectly (yes, the way I say it is the correct way!). But if you want to call me Candice you can...I just might cringe if you say it as Candeese instead of Candiss (it sounds like canned geese!)

The name Candy or Candi (since a certain Tarantio insists on making it even more disgusting by spelling it with an i)...hmm. I know at least a couple people are going to be stubborn and call me that, but don't expect me to answer right away if you do. I'm not used to responding to that.
porcelainwarrior
Laura or porce work fine for me but Fallen will look at you funny if you call me porce. I don't really care I'll probably be too busy trying to learn everyone elses real name's to worry about what you call me.
Sir Psycho Sexy
pat's fine or any other derivative of Patrick you like, if I don't like it, I'll let you know
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I won't be there sad.gif

I'm afraid I have a previous engagement on the 31st that I didn't know the date of until last week.

Have fun oh pe-oply peeps.
Greeneyes
Guy will do, though I suppose I wouln't mind being called by my username, forum or IRC, if that's what you're used to calling me (note that does not include extensions of Poofie thankyouverymuch Candy tongue.gif).
Cath Sparrow
How about Greeny or extentions of Greeny? tongue.gif
mooooooooooopo
Greenypoofs!

As for myself one of: moop, ste, steve or moopste (if you must)
Jaq
So.. Poofta would be right out? happy.gif
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Jaq @ Feb 22 2005, 01:44 AM)
So..  Poofta would  be right out?  happy.gif

Not unless you want me to cringe everytime you call my name.

QUOTE (moop)
Greenypoofs!

No comment. Don't make me get the list out again tongue.gif
mooooooooooopo
Your holiness?
gothictheysay
Someone bow when you see him for me and then say something silly like "O Thou Most Holy God."

I will love you forever. <3
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Feb 22 2005, 11:45 PM)
Someone bow when you see him for me and then say something silly like "O Thou Most Holy God."

I will love you forever. <3

And you've got to do it for me to! Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaasssssseeee!!!!!!!
And I to will love you forever! biggrin.gif
froggle-rock
Yeah
Mini bus?
Erm, not too sure, when would be good?
hostel probably
When the mini bus leaves back to London
Buy me cider and black with the above.
Bend over, and I'll be better able to form an opnion.
Maybe, if the mini bus is still happening
if not, why not?

Is the Mini bus still happening? We been talking bout it IRC, and wasn't too sure if it was still on.
Jaq
Yeah, I'd still be up for the minibus if other people from London are thinking of doing it
Greeneyes
Assuming I'm able to come, the minibus would work here, otherwise it shall be a very hefty train ticket to get up north.
mooooooooooopo
Yup
Mini bus?
Whenever the minibus arrives, assuming it's happening still
Not sure yet...
When the mini bus leaves
Err...
0 < BUM_SIZE < INFINITY
That's all I'm gonna say

Only if I can find a big enough net for a Cath hunting expedition
{Gothic Angel}
Blah... It's looking like it's gonna be my mom's weekend that weekend. I have to try and persuade her, rather than my dad, which is going to be... tricky. No holiday booked yet, but I do know we will be going away as a family one week in the summer...

Wish me luck unsure.gif

And call me Jen. You can tell I'm not Jaq cos she has 2 n's tongue.gif
CommieBastard
I am!
with whom are you travelling and how?
I'm in on the minibus.
Hopefully, at the same time as the minibus. If I show up before it, something's wrong.
Can I sleep in the minibus? Hotels are expensive...
With my fellow busmonkeys.
My preferences are that everything happens as has been suggested.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
So - here's the question - who is going to take it upon themselves to arrange the renting of the Mini bus? And who is prepared to drive the Mini bus?

I don't drive, so out of the question for me but I'm very happy to put money towards the renting and maintaining of the bus. I'm also border - line obsessive compulsive about planning so I'm happy to plan the best route up country.

Apart from which, it'll be the only way I can come to this meet and I really do want to go to this one.
Phyllis
Hmm I should actually answer these questions now, as I'm a little more certain. Sort of.

Of course
Mini bus, I think. If stuff changes and for some reason I'm unable to post about it, I've someone who has said they'll post about it for me...
Same time as the mini bus, obviously
I have no idea. Somewhere cheap.
Whenever the mini bus does.
Uhm...sounds fine...
Yes. I feel since we are good friends, you can take the truth. Yes it does.
No. Like I said before, I'm gonna gloat that I get Cathness at a mini-meet and you all don't! (unless you want to come to the mini-meet, I'd imagine)
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Mar 22 2005, 12:01 AM)
So - here's the question - who is going to take it upon themselves to arrange the renting of the Mini bus?  And who is prepared to drive the Mini bus?

I don't drive, so out of the question for me but I'm very happy to put money towards the renting and maintaining of the bus.  I'm also border - line obsessive compulsive about planning so I'm happy to plan the best route up country.

Apart from which, it'll be the only way I can come to this meet and I really do want to go to this one.

and unless I'm mistaken the hirer has to be at least 21, have a credit card and have a few years experience under their belt...
Snugglebum the Destroyer
and unless I'm mistaken the hirer has to be at least 21, have a credit card and have a few years experience under their belt...

'Tis true. I believe they need to have held a licence for three years and it needs to be clean.

Has that ruled everyone out? smile.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Although I won't be able to make the meet it's possible, assuming the bus still goes ahead, that I can go to the nearest drop off point with Ste (and possibly Cand) so I can wave at everyone who is already on it!

Wouldn't that be fun?!?!
Greeneyes
So is there a taker for the minibus driving idea? Bearing in mind that with an apparently limited amount of drivers, it may be possible that they would be doing the whole leg? Or should be start planning alternative transport methods?

Edit: Rephrasing as it's not too clear, just there seems to lots of willing people, but no who can drive the thing.
Usurper MrTeapot
I'd really like to come but only if there is the minibus option. Other than that I wouldn't want to commit myself to anything.
Pixelgoth
I'm 29, have over 10 years experience AND several credit cards HOWEVER I live in Manchester and that would negate the whole point. I'd be driving maniacally up the M6 to Scotland while you're all sitting in London scratching your head wondering where I am! laugh.gif Can anyone think of a way around this? And before you ask I'm not hiring it in Manchester and driving down to you lot in London to collect you lot! tongue.gif What about Mata hiring/driving??? I don't mind sharing the driving but you'd need me there to give them my driving license.
Greeneyes
Well, even a minibus part of the way would save on train fares. I think it worked out to cost about 50 to get there and back from here on a train, though I do admit to knowing next to nothing about minibus costs. And all this new fangled pee-trole business.

Edit: Just liked you said in the other thread. Which I have now read.
Pixelgoth
I checked out train times from Warrington/Manchester to Glasgow and apparently it's at least 5 hours! ohmy.gif Driving would take me 4 hours at least too sad.gif I'd only do that if someone else wanted to come and was prepared to keep me company and/or share the driving.

However I think this one is going to have to be missed.

I vote for a meet in Manchester next! Puuuuuuuuurrrllease??!?!? unsure.gif
{Gothic Angel}
I'm not sure yet, but I *think* mum is leaning towards letting me come. I asked her, she said she would think about it, and every so often she now says something which starts with "If you *did* go to Glasgow..."

*prays*
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I *might* be able to come now, the previous engagement has now been cancelled... it's just a matter of funds!
Fallen Element
I'll be there (I'm being tied up and drugged - how can I refuse?)

I'm not posting any detail style thingies - Porce can take care of it all: we are *almost* surgically attached so it'll save on typing! biggrin.gif

*glares at Snugglebum* Get thy ass to Glasgow missy! evil.gif

Fal xXx
{Gothic Angel}
*clings to snoo* If you don't go I will NEVER speak to you again! And... I'll mail weasels to your house! tongue.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
Its a shame, I am going to be in Cornwall for the McJaq meet. sad.gif Can no longer come.

And the Candingham meet is right in my exams sad.gif brr...
zivane
Perrrrrrfect timing! That's the weekend I was planning to return for a visit. So...

indeedly so!
me, myself, and i and johann are coming by plane, leaving by train.
when my plane arrives from the states? probably sometime in the morning. someone should find me. i have a bad tendency to get lost.
hotel
home will be watford, so when i can get a train in thata direction...
i'll find my stuff! just request personal guide from the airport to wherever pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase.
dunno
no
if not, why not?
cath dun live in florida.

yeah. (ie, not making a special trip from america for this, although it'll entertaining to go from mata meet in philly to mata meet in glasgow a week later... i'm just wicked cool like that - but really, i was planning on going to london that weekend to stay a few days at a friend's for her b-day on the 2nd of august, and i've not booked my flights yet, so, it'll end up being someway out of the us to glasgow, trains to london probably unless i'm lazy and fly into heathrow, then off to amsterdam for a few days and then back home, so why not through in glasgow because i've never been, it works)

if someone wants to meet me and johann (Stuffed panda), at the airport... uhm, it would be muchly appreciated. i'll give you a cookie! (biscuit)
Tarantio
Cool, I'll add you two to the list of detainees-I mean guests; as for the airport, there's a regular enough bus service so I can come pick you up from there and take you into the city centre. If you have a lot of luggage on you I strongly suggest letting me know where you're staying so I can arrange proper transport routes to get you there direct from the airport too. Hanging around town all day with big bags is no fun at all...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.