Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gadget Wanted
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
CommieBastard
All right, those of you who love your shiny gadgets - I'm in the market for one, and I need recommendations.

What I want is a portable device I can write on. Something I can carry with me into a coffeeshop and sit and write for a few hours.

Requirements:

# Portable. Obviously
# Runs Word or some analogue thereof
# Respectable battery life (five hours at least)
# Either comes with a decent (non-fiddly) keyboard, or can attach one (if the latter, can you recommend such a keyboard?)
# I must be able to transfer files from it to my PC without hassle

Ideas?
Wasat
Well any PDA with MS OS on it would work. You can get keyboards. I'm not sure on the battery lives of them at the moment, but you might be able to get that w/o WiFi and Bluetooth

Dell's PDA are decent I hear
ravein
depending on how much money you want to spend.. this my friend is the hottness.

http://www.electrovaya.com/product/sc2200.html

There are cheaper versions out there but I liked this the best. Do a search for PC tablets. Look for the hybrid models. Dell has a good one as well.
CommieBastard
Ravein: that looks awesome! 512MB of RAM and a 40GB HD is a bit much, though, when all I really want to use it for is Word smile.gif
ravein
Well they have ones that are less expensive that have smaller hard drives and less ram. Here are all the models.. http://www.electrovaya.com/product/sc2200.html
if you are looking for a cheap solution check e-bay for a older laptop. With most older machines you can reformat, reinstall the OS and just load the software you want. Generally that will run well for you for a few years. At home you can just use MS networking and drag the files between computers.
Sir Psycho Sexy
you could always get one of them nokia things, look like a big bastard phone but are in fact weeny little laptop type things....or you could get a pda one of those laser keyboards, they look cool
Feyliya
I'm quite fond of my laptop, even though I have more of a love/hate relationship with it. Get a good one and it will serve you well for years. Mine, as much as I love to malign it, is like a duracel battery, a Timex watch, and the little engine that could. It keeps going and going, takes a licking and keeps on ticking, and it thinks it can do anything.

Get wireless and a DVD player. I highly recomend them both. With wireless you can find a connection just about anywhere and with the DVD player if you keep a couple of good movies on you you'll never be bored. Plus, there's the joy of old SNES and Sega ROMs.
Mata
That reminds me: I really should buy hardware from the US when I get some money.

Those light-keyboards really do look quite groovy, but I think that they'd take a lot of work to get accustomed to, and I'm not sure how happy it would be to work in a cafe...

My laptop was built in 1995, and still occasionally gets pulled out of the cupboard in emergencies! It's not a brick though... It's more like several bricks!
mooooooooooopo
Personally the light keyboard looks pretty painful to use (fingers hitting a table rather than springy bouncy keys) but still a cool gadget.

For a small and affordable laptop look for 'Toshiba Libretto' on eBay, they're old (120mhz processor, 32meg of ram) but will run old versions of windows and word and they have the benefit of being the size of a video cassette (if you can cope with the tiny keyboard), they also tend to sell for under 200 which is nice.

I brought one a few years ago before going to uni just so I had a portable machiene in addtion to my laptop and I'm damn happy with it for the price and got lots of use from it.

Shiney Libretto (the name meaning 'little book' in Japanese apparently).

The only issue I can think of is the network card is not built in and the PCMCIA card slot is only 16bit (compared to the newer 32bit ones) so you will probably need to use eBay again to find a suitable network card.
Mata
There is also a range of notepads available from WHSmiths. They're about 59p and have plenty of memory. They also don't lose anything if you don't charge them for years and are backwards compatible with previous writing hardware.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 20 2005, 02:11 AM)
There is also a range of notepads available from WHSmiths. They're about 59p and have plenty of memory. They also don't lose anything if you don't charge them for years and are backwards compatible with previous writing hardware.

Don't be fooled! I tried them, and later discovered you have to go and buy an extra piece of hardware to make them work (PENCIL, or if you are made of money, PEN).
Jonman
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 20 2005, 01:11 AM)
...and are backwards compatible with previous writing hardware.

Only up to a point. I had a bugger trying to write down someone's phone number on a WH Smith notepad with me chisel.

Anyway, serious answer -

If you want to spend a couple of hours writing at a time, I'd suggest not getting a PDA. They're just not made to be used for extended periods of time. External keyboards tend to be fiddly and too small.

Cheap obsolete lappy on the other hand, bad-a-bing. I remember a few years ago, Sony did a range of super-dinky laptops a few years back that are ultra portable, and probably cheap as chips these days.

This isn't one, but it's cheaper than chips.
mooooooooooopo
I've heard they're pretty slow to backup data though, as is copying over data if you ever choose to upgrade. No crashes though, that's pretty impressive.
Mata
Chips are really expensive in Leicester.

But I take your point.

I'm tempted by importing something. The value of the dollar is making most US goods look very tempting at the moment.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Careful of import tax, they got me with that with my ipod, lost a lot of the saving I made by buying it in the US...
Jonman
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 23 2005, 02:45 AM)
Chips are really expensive in Leicester.

I'm tempted by importing something. The value of the dollar is making most US goods look vary tempting at the moment.

No rush though, eh? You've got 3 and a half moron years before the dollar will even start to think about recovering. And that's only if the Dems can pull their fingers out of their ass and mount a decent presidential campaign next time around.
Mata
Absolutely. Also, buying anything would require me to have money to start off with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.