Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dream Computer
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
pgrmdave
So, if you had unlimited cash, and time, what would your be in your computer?
trunks_girl26
Every bit of music I've ever listened to and liked, Anime up the- well, you know, freakin' pop up blockers.......a drink dispenser? happy.gif

I'll think of more, don't worry
pgrmdave
I'm thinking more along the lines of hardware.
Quoth(The Raven)
More memory, and CPU power than I will ever need, in three lifetimes...
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Feb 22 2005, 11:35 PM)

Well, it may not be traditional, in a computer sense, but a drink dispenser certainly wouldn't be software... tongue.gif
trunks_girl26
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Feb 23 2005, 04:35 AM)

Well, suuuuure, don't be specific and see how you trip up the slow ones tongue.gif

Well, obviously, as much RAM, and memory as humanly possible. Not to mention more drivers than Tiger Woods (*kills herself for worst joke ever*) DVD burners up the Whazoo and all that good stuff.
Quoth(The Raven)
Mo' power! arr, arr, arrh! laugh.gif
mooooooooooopo
Give me an SGI Tezro (http://www.sgi.com/products/workstations/tezro/) any day. Screw Intel and the lameness of the x86 (and CISC in general) processors. Screw computers that even _run_ windows, who wants an OS capable of crawling with a 3ghz processor. The Irix operating system has a better GUI (4dwm), it's optimised for the MIPS processor SGIs machines run (ie. designed specifically for the hardware) and whats better it's UNIX so it actually makes sense.

Since pretty much everyone on this forum and most others is glued to WinTel (Windows + Intel, or AMD but they have the same instruction set so same difference) this thread will probably turn into a bout of screaming 'more speed, more RAM, more disk space' because nobody thinks to use an OS that actually makes efficient use of it. *cough*BSDorLinuxifyoureallymust*cough*
DarkInferno
ASCI White.
mooooooooooopo
I was working under the assumption that it's useful to be able to fit the thing under/on the desk. tongue.gif

In that case I'll go for a room full of Origin 3000s.

</SGI obsessive>
DarkInferno
you could fit ol' White under a desk.. it'd just need to be a large one
Sir Psycho Sexy
As I'm going for something I can use in every day life and not being a geek on the same level as steve, I'd probably be sticking with a Windows based machine....though one of them G5's would be nice and tasty. I have one of those AMD 64 bit doohickies, possibly the 3500, a nice ASUS motherboard, an ATI x850 thingy, lots of lovely RAM...well 3GB I suppose would have to do, then I'd put it in a case with more lights and buttons than the starship enterprise....just because....hell...I might build that this summer if I get a good enough job tongue.gif
ravein
http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pa...ode=SKU-DEFAULT

in Lime Green of course..

*drools*
CommieBastard
It would be a 1.8GHz 20-inch iMac G5, except it would actually be able to play games and such.
little_bear
QUOTE (ravein @ Feb 23 2005, 08:43 PM)

Bah! Beat me to it. tongue.gif

Yes, the Alienware PCs are truly beautiful machines. And you're right, the more lurid the colour, the better! biggrin.gif

Its one of my life goals, one day, to just go on the Alienware website (if the company is still around) and spend thousands upon thousands of pounds on the very best computer I can afford.

*blissful sigh*
ravein
QUOTE (little_bear @ Feb 23 2005, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (ravein @ Feb 23 2005, 08:43 PM)

Bah! Beat me to it. tongue.gif

Yes, the Alienware PCs are truly beautiful machines. And you're right, the more lurid the colour, the better! biggrin.gif

Its one of my life goals, one day, to just go on the Alienware website (if the company is still around) and spend thousands upon thousands of pounds on the very best computer I can afford.

*blissful sigh*

Ahhhhh then you would want this baby..
http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pa...ode=SKU-DEFAULT

*drools harder*
mooooooooooopo
Feh! Whatever you buy it'll be obselete within days...
CommieBastard
QUOTE (moop @ Feb 23 2005, 11:32 PM)

Something tells me it'll take just a bit longer to make this bastard obsolete...
little_bear
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Feb 24 2005, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (moop @ Feb 23 2005, 11:32 PM)

Something tells me it'll take just a bit longer to make this bastard obsolete...

*weeps with joy*

Absolutely right. Plus, Alienware customer support is top notch, so upgrading is made seriously easy. Note I didn't say cheap.
ravein
That is the one I was talking about. I think that one would set you up for quite a while.
froggle-rock
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Feb 23 2005, 09:29 PM)
It would be a 1.8GHz 20-inch iMac G5, except it would actually be able to play games and such.

Oi e-hubb-e, I'll have none of you bad mouthing Apples! mad.gif
zivane
flat touch sensitive keyboard (kind of like you see in films that really don't exist anywhere for some strange reason? i think they should be glass and kind of LED lit, in electric pink), 3 rather obnoxiously large flatscreens on a wall in various parts of my house, with one screen over the actual keyboard. 8gigs of RAM. dvd burner out the wall. 10 cd burner drives (i make mixes for friends). i want the drives to all be like the one on my laptop at current (no drawer, just shove the derned disc in) but built into the counter/desk on which the keyboard is. i want it to have a toaster and tea maker as well. and some contraption that makes ramen. 7.1 surround speakers at each screen. built into the walls of course.

i should just build a house around something like that...
DarkInferno
QUOTE (zivane @ Mar 24 2005, 09:39 AM)
flat touch sensitive keyboard (kind of like you see in films that really don't exist anywhere for some strange reason? i think they should be glass and kind of LED lit, in electric pink), ...

it wouldn't be that hard to make beleve it or not, get a sheet of glass, have the keys etched into it with a laser, dimond drill a couple of pink leds into the sides (only the etch will glow) then fit 105 prox sensors (you could get away with 90 or so).

then get a encoder from a cheap keyboard and wire up the matrix.

Voila, one glass keyboard.

Not very comfortable thou, and quite a pain to use as you can't touch it without it sensing a button press.

I've considered replacing the front panel of my main box with tinted glass and prox sensors.
zivane
Yeah... I want the glass keyboard idea. I want it built into the desk of wherever my computer happens to be. I want several little "stations" around my house hooked to one main server though... meh. I want a smart house. With a toaster.

Or perhaps... get the microchips implanted so that really, you'd just have to think the commands and it would have holo screens... I'll stop. I dunno how possible that is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.