Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Should I Do After My Phd?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Mata
I was chatting with SPS and he asked what I was going to do for kicks once I've finished my PhD. I told him that I have planned blindfolded urban abseiling (I make clicking noises with my tongue on the way down the building and use echo location to judge when I'm at the bottom).

Personally I reckon that's a good start, but what do you think I should do to replace that paragraph-constructing rush?
Mr Fuzzy
I suggest a bit of crime-fighting, wearing a knitted wooly superhero suit. Just don't fight my crimes.

Not that I want less nefarious competition or anything... Nope. Not me.
Sir Psycho Sexy
...make more animations?

*makes Xtreme sign with arms*

tongue.gif
PsychWardMike
Do me!

...Or make a legendary rock band that inspires hippie music festivals and thousands to follow you on tour for years and years to come!
CommieBastard
Get another PhD! You can never have too many, that's what I say.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Mar 17 2005, 01:40 PM)
Do me!

blink.gif

I'm not quite sure how you mean that but it's very blink.gif

I think you should do something crazy like reinvent the potato peeler, you've be a billionairre... then you could pay for us all to go to a huge meet in Hawaii!
PsychWardMike
Go 'round town telling fine young lasses about how you're a doctor and are giving free breast examinations! Aw hell yeah, yay for equivocation!
mooooooooooopo
I hear taking over the world is a popular and rewarding hobby these days.

Don't blame me if it puts you in direct competition with several of the forumites though. >_>
saucy_tara
I think you should retire to Devon, and come and tell me bedtime stories about little kitties. And Sues can do the voices :-)
And you can both live under my bed smile.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (moop @ Mar 17 2005, 06:42 AM)
I hear taking over the world is a popular and rewarding hobby these days.

Don't blame me if it puts you in direct competition with several of the forumites though. >_>

ohmy.gif

I am shocked by your betrayal! Suggesting world domination to someone else...see if I give you Australia now when I accomplish it!

Ahem. Anyway. Now that I am through being stabbed in the back, let's see. You should get drunk more often and amuse the IRCers with your intoxicated antics. biggrin.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
Prescribe yourself lots of drugs and spend the rest of your life in a daze.

(and come talk to us in IRC)
Jaq
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 18 2005, 12:09 AM)
You should get drunk more often and amuse the IRCers with your intoxicated antics. 

Ooo yeah! A drunken Mata on IRC, but all doctorfied! You'd be like our own drunken professor. We could write a sitcom!

A drunken professor, the woman he loves... erm.. his achingly darling stepchildren and the uncle whom they should've kept locked in the basement. Each episode will begin with a seemingly insurmountable problem, but by the end of 22 minutes it will have been solved in a glib, saccharinely sweet manner complete with just a little bit of heart as the audience is cued at the right times to coo over the baby, laugh at the wacky antics of the crazy uncle, and applaud for the commercials. We will all learn a little something about ourselves and about practicing love and tolerance for our fellow human beings via slightly cliche one liners, and paper towel adverts.

That's what you want to do, right Mata?
little_bear
Extreme downhill basket-weaving has often appealed to me. Why not try it?
I_am_the_best
Take up the grand hobby of extreme ironing!
Greeneyes
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Mar 17 2005, 04:23 PM)
Take up the grand hobby of extreme ironing!

feh. Extreme ironing? n00b tongue.gif. It's all about the Urban housework these days. Hoovers aren't just for cleaning, you know, they're for riding too!

Although if abseiling is your thing, I once watched a friend of my dad's try to abseil on his bike. Rather amusing methinks. Then you can get drunk and tell us about it in IRC.

*rides into the distance on a hoover*

Edit: On a more serious idea, if you can afford to (and want to, of course), stay in education. If not for the qualifications then just to learn more stuff.
trunks_girl26
You could become a hermit and live in a cave, where you will create your own manifesto/belief system. Then, at some completely random point, you come down from the cave and tell people about it- always through some completely random enocunters.....

Nooooo....that doesn't sound like Zaratustra at all happy.gif
Cath Sparrow
I should go and hunt down the Evil fence and destroy it so all your little formites can sleep safely in there beds again! Actually I think it should be chat safely in IRC seeing as thats what alot of them do instead of sleep! biggrin.gif

I wouldn't mind getting a doctorate but I think my reasoning for doing it might be a bit skewed I want it so I can say I'm a Fashion Doctor! Dont think it'd be quite enough to get me through all the work though.

*wanders off muttering* Cath Fashion Doctor cures all your bad fashion chioses!
Novander
Sorry to make a relatively serious post, but what do you want to do?

A book. A book would be good. Write us a book. I promise I'll buy it. Probably even read it, too.
Moosh
You must find...... ANOTHER SHRUBBERY! Then when you have found it, you must place it here, beside this shrubbery. Only slightly higer to get a two-level efffect with a little path running down the middle.

And when you have done that, you must chop down the mightiest tree in thr forest. With........ A HERRING!

----------------

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist it
Mata
No! Not a herring!

Nov, I may well turn my thesis into a book eventually, but it would be very boring for almost everyone to read. It's not nearly as interesting to anyone else as it might sound.

What do I want to do? I've always fancied becoming a benevolent dictator of a small third world country, building it into a utopian land, and demonstrating to the world the value of tolerance and egalitarian captialism, after which all other countries will permit me to rule them, making me the ruler of the world. That's been my main plan for a while now.
voices_in_my_head
I tried to tell you people that Mata had an evil take-over-the-world plan, but does anyone listen to me? Nooo.... biggrin.gif

Personally, I'm going for the Xtreme Ironing.
Kitty
I feel like a Mata- Stalker.

Well, what really was the point of getting a phd? Shouldnt you _do_ something with it? Thats what I always understood.... then again.... I know people that spend 6 years in college and then become housewives soooo! What do I know.

you should definatley figure out the best way to use a herring to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest. That would be rather intresting.
CovertYawn
I always thought raising an army of the living dead could be quite a rewarding pastime. You could infest the Uk, it'd make the walk to work a bit more fun.

Walking to work

Me: Tum ti tum.

Zombie: Muuugh.

Me: EAT SHOTGUN DEATH! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

**Shotgun firing**

Zombie: Bluuh.

Me: Tum ti tum.
Jonman
Mata's to-do list:

: Have a nice sit down at least 30 feet from any computer for while.

: Play videogames for 12 hours a day for a month.

: Find a cure for premature baldness.

: Score me a job in Seattle and a visa for the US.

: Swim naked in every sea and ocean in the world.

: Invent a new branch of science. Call it Spanglology.

: Categorically figure out the best way to make a cup of tea.

: Persuade the entire world to use a single language.

: Have colonic irrigation.

: Travel to 10 different countries in the space of a year.

: Master 5 clubs. WIV A CLAW!
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Mar 18 2005, 02:10 AM)
I tried to tell you people that Mata had an evil take-over-the-world plan, but does anyone listen to me? Nooo.... biggrin.gif

key word there is benevolent wink.gif

All hail Mata, Leader of the World!!

oh no! I've turned into a fanboy *scrubs self* It won't come off!! unclean....uncleeeean
PsychWardMike
Join us SPS.

Joooooooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnn Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Mata
QUOTE (K!77y @ Mar 18 2005, 02:16 AM)
Well, what really was the point of getting a phd? Shouldnt you _do_ something with it? Thats what I always understood.... then again.... I know people that spend 6 years in college and then become housewives soooo! What do I know.

you should definatley figure out the best way to use a herring to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest. That would be rather intresting.

What's the point of getting a PhD? Mainly the achievement of doing it, because it will actually make me less employable. Putting things another way though, if it wasn't for the PhD I wouldn't have started this site, so it would be hard to argue that it's been a bad influence on me.

Do cut down the mightiest tree in the forest:

Freeze the herring

Get a device that can accelerate the fish slowly without it being ripped apart.

Fire the fish at great velocity into the tree. It should work if you get can get it going fast enough. Maybe plating the fish in metal would make it easier, but I figure that would be cheating.

QUOTE (Jonman @ Mar 18 2005, 01:19 PM)
Mata's to-do list:

: Swim naked in every sea and ocean in the world.

: Persuade the entire world to use a single language.

: Travel to 10 different countries in the space of a year.

: Master 5 clubs. WIV A CLAW!

Oo, I rather like those ones.

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Mar 18 2005, 01:21 PM)
oh no! I've turned into a fanboy *scrubs self* It won't come off!! unclean....uncleeeean

'Turned'? tongue.gif
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (Mata @ Mar 18 2005, 03:16 PM)

'Turned'? tongue.gif

He means he's finally admitted it to himself, but now refuses to admit that. tongue.gif

*flees SPS flavoured wrath*

[edit]Added a 'u' since I've clearly been corrupted by american spelling. >_>[/edit]
Sir Psycho Sexy

'Turned'? tongue.gif

Just because I'm addicted to your forums, doesn't mean I worship you/want to sleep with you/stalk you. Yes I know you're crushed, but you'll get over it. tongue.gif
froggle-rock
*coughbolloxcough*

Hmm, I should go make me some lemon honey for this cough...
Sir Psycho Sexy
...yes, you really really should dry.gif

tongue.gif
Greeneyes
Do cut down the mightiest tree in the forest:

Freeze the herring

Get a device that can accelerate the fish slowly without it being ripped apart.

Fire the fish at great velocity into the tree. It should work if you get can get it going fast enough. Maybe plating the fish in metal would make it easier, but I figure that would be cheating.

If you feed the herring enough iron before you freeze it, you could use it as a rail gun projectile, which would probably cook it at the same time. Makes a good consolation prize if it doesn't work, as you could eat the fish. If you could find it that is.
Daedalus
QUOTE (Mata @ Mar 18 2005, 02:06 AM)
No! Not a herring!

Nov, I may well turn my thesis into a book eventually, but it would be very boring for almost everyone to read. It's not nearly as interesting to anyone else as it might sound.

What do I want to do? I've always fancied becoming a benevolent dictator of a small third world country, building it into a utopian land, and demonstrating to the world the value of tolerance and egalitarian captialism, after which all other countries will permit me to rule them, making me the ruler of the world. That's been my main plan for a while now.

What is your thesis actually about, and why would it be boring?

The benevolent dictator idea is definately a good one... As long as you don't try invading my totalitarian slave-state dry.gif

Or.... you could become a stand up comedian, with trademark lanky hair and purple goatee, who tours round the world on a motortrike.... naked. laugh.gif
sjbbandgeek
I think Mata should move to the countryside and become an alpaca farmer.
elphaba2
That wouldn't do, he'd eat the alpacas.
EvilSpork
Well, soon to be Dr. Mata, you could get a vast army of gerbils and construct many little wheels for them that create energy. The power generated by the gerbils should be enough to power the entire planet. You'd be rich. You'd be famous...

But you'd have to clean up after the huge number of gerbils. And feed them.

Just a thought.
voices_in_my_head
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Mar 18 2005, 08:33 PM)
That wouldn't do, he'd eat the alpacas.

Nah. He's too full beacause of all of the kittens....
little_bear
Actually, why not go and do some charity work, say in Africa or somewhere. Those who I know have done that have come back saying it was an extremely rewarding experience.
Righteous
Well, you could make an animation to commemorate the occasion. That would kick ass. I can only imagine...

Once we get our porfolio set up and get a directorial job of some kind, I'll persuade "Sweet" Brooks hire you as an expert/consultant on something. I don't know what it'll be, but it'll be something. We'll figure out a way to integrate the post-modern information era with guys standing around, smoking cigarettes, bitching about exes and where their lives are going. Oh, and bands, too. Music rules.

Oh, and we'll still litter the flick with Matazone references.
Mata
QUOTE (Righteous @ Mar 19 2005, 02:15 PM)
We'll figure out a way to integrate the post-modern information era with guys standing around, smoking cigarettes, bitching about exes and where their lives are going. Oh, and bands, too. Music rules.

That sounds like the beta version of Matrix Online. The missions were mostly borked, so I stood around chatting with people around the world and playing with the emotimations. (That's probably not a word, but I like it.)

Much as I like the idea of the charity work in Africa, because I run my own business I probably wouldn't have anything to come back to if I left it alone for very long. Plus I seriously doubt Sues would be up for that. If I do that kind of thing I'd like to do it for about three months, and that's just not the kind of time you can take off if you are personally responsible for your own future income. Jobs you can leave and come back to, a business is different.
Righteous
Imagine that with more vulgarities, references to exgirlfriends and the vibes Brooks and I throw around, which cannot be described; they must be experienced (tanslation: a pair of ADD-ridden twenty-somethings being astoundingly energetic while over-analizing things.

"The information age is in full swing. It's nearly impossible for the market to keep up with demand when there is an entire culture centered around computers and, to a much higher degree the Internet. *takes drag on cigarette* By the way, your exgirlfriend's a bitch."

I actually have something you could help us work on. My brother and I have been working on an intellectual property for about seven or so years (if you can help it, DO NOT co-own an intellectual property with someone). It's post-apocalyptic and would rather have a different point-of-view than a post-modern movie geek. I'll give you a buzz when we have about ten to fifteen million dollars to make the dang thing.
JimiJimi
Why not write some parodys of songs? I made a parody of Beat it called Spork it, and it can be found here. OK, maybe that is fairly boring, but you could hike around africa wearing a human size teabag, and get a friend to take 10p off the 1000 he was going to give you at the end of the trip for every question someone asks about the teabag.

What?
PsychWardMike
You could finally start the Matazone island that we've been pining for for so long.

And watch some more South Park.

And visit me.
gothictheysay
Sleep. A lot. All those hours you've been missing.

(it's what I do after big things. smile.gif)
Snugglebum the Destroyer
(it's what I do after big things. )

*supresses every smutty retort that just popped into her head*

laugh.gif

I think my head's going to explode...
gothictheysay
Hehe...

Or, Mata could just do big things.

dotdotdot.
Mata
Sleep is for the weak!
Kitty
Is it really possible for a human to survive without sleep?
Mata
Only if you like hallucinating and going insane. Apparently dreams fulfill a massively important role in maintaining our mental balance.

Ooo, I should invent a dream-machine after my PhD, where you can program in what type of dream you'd like. That would be fun smile.gif
CommieBastard
You should join Guild Wars, and the Matazone Guild!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.