Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mata Meet Photos - Camden, 19th March 2005
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Phyllis
QUOTE (Jaq @ Mar 30 2005, 05:55 AM)
The jar is for holding all the wonderful candy and cookies and caramel apples that they're going to give me and Cand when we get there.  Right?  huh.gif

Well, Pat is giving us vodka...and Cath and moop have plans to make me (and probably you as well) try various British foods. The first one doesn't scare me. The second one does, after my experience with the horror that is marmite. I hope the jar doesn't have marmite. unsure.gif

And yes Cath! No glue for you! I do have another year of university to attend, you know. Unless you're willing to start paying off my student loan when I have to drop out cause I'm in _another country_, you have to let me go back to America!

And believe...why are you afraid of meets? I'm a little afraid...but only because cameras will be present and people there won't let me delete photos I really hate of myself the way Lo did. tongue.gif
believe
And believe...why are you afraid of meets? I'm a little afraid...but only because cameras will be present and people there won't let me delete photos I really hate of myself the way Lo did.

I'm pretty shy and large-ish groups of new people are rather scary. >_o Though the camera doesn't help either. I like to hide the evidence. >.>
Jonman
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 30 2005, 02:58 PM)
Well, Pat is giving us vodka...and Cath and moop have plans to make me (and probably you as well) try various British foods.  The first one doesn't scare me.  The second one does, after my experience with the horror that is marmite.  I hope the jar doesn't have marmite.  unsure.gif 

Marmite doesn't count as British food. It's way too healthy to be proper British food. And as a rule, things that were scraped from the buttcrack of the Devil don't qualify as food, and they're certainly not British!

You need to eat the following for a whistlestop tour of British cuisine.
1 : Black pudding
2 : White pudding (just for pudding completeness)
2 : Haggis
3 : Fish 'n' chips (not cod, natch, ethical consumers order the haddock)
4 : a deep fried chocolate bar of some description
5 : the hottest curry you can stomach
6 : A selection of real beers served at room temperature
7 : Proper roast dinner with stuffing, crackling, the appropriate sauces, homemade gravy, and all the rest of the trimmings.

Preferably all in one sitting if you can manage it. It would make a hearty breakfast, methinks.
Forever Unknown
You need to eat the following for a whistlestop tour of British cuisine.
1 : Black pudding
2 : Haggis

No. Don't do that.

If ever the word 'pudding' was erroneously used, and the concept of pudding itself misrepresented, black/white pudding is it.
Greeneyes

Pudding completeness? But you didn't say Yorkshire pudding. There can't be pudding completeness without Yorkshire pudding!
believe
How much pudding can one eat? blink.gif
Jaq
I've had a few of those things. Including black pudding... not too bad.. I even kept eating it after I found out what it was... biggrin.gif

What is white pudding? It sounds suspicious... I've had yorkshire pudding! Though I don't see why it's called pudding...
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Jaq @ Mar 31 2005, 12:53 PM)
Though I don't see why it's called pudding...

In England, everything is called pudding. Well, most things.
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Mar 31 2005, 12:56 PM)
In England, everything is called pudding. Well, most things.

*pinches cheeks*

Aint you a little puddin'!
Greeneyes
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Mar 31 2005, 12:59 PM)
*pinches cheeks*

*scowls*

Don't make me get the pudding out, y'hear?

*waves pudding threateningly*
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Mar 31 2005, 12:59 PM)
*pinches cheeks*

Don't even kid about that. My grandma does it.
Wytukaze
You know what else is proper British food? Toad-in-the-hole. Been ages since I've had that. And it's almost called pudding, since it's made of Yorkshire. And toads.
Polocrunch
And don't forget bread-and-butter pudding. *gags*
Phyllis
erm....I'm a vegetarian. So no to the first four (I think...I know what black pudding is, what's white pudding?), except the chips. blink.gif
Mata
I'm guessing that steak and ale pie is out too then? 'Shame, 'tis very tasty and very British.

I'm not sure, but I suspect we do kebabs differently to the Turkish too, so they may be considered British in the same way as vindaloos are... But again, that involves meat.

Evidently we like eating dead stuff (although the jury is out on the sentience of kebabs).
Usurper MrTeapot
I sometimes have a white pudding sandwich for brekkies on weekends. Also known as Irish Sausage, its pretty much just ground pork and some oats or can be completely veggie (eggs, flour and the odd bit of fruit) steamed together into a sausage shape.
Wytukaze
Pfeh, you shall eat the flesh of a deceased critters anyway! No self-respecting Brit would be vegetarian! Er.. Except my mother of course.. And several of my friends.. And.. Okay, the point is, you're not exempt!
Museum Girl
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 31 2005, 05:32 PM)
erm....I'm a vegetarian.  So no to the first four (I think...I know what black pudding is, what's white pudding?), except the chips.  blink.gif

White pudding is revolting! Do not let its appetising smell seduce you. Even though you are a vegetarian...

Oh and vegetarian haggis is delicious, despite lacking the hearty lungy goodness of the real thing. If you go anywhere near Edinburgh every other shop is a restaurant and every other restaurant is full of cheap delicious vegetarian food (city ofstudents - magical four years when the social conscience lives).
Misty Rain
Everybody looks so young.

Misty Rain
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Everybody looks so young.

Shocking, isn't it! biggrin.gif

*is glad she looks young from a distance*
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Mar 29 2005, 06:01 PM)
The minibus still needs someone preferably from as far south as possible (well it makes sense) who's been able to drive for long enough AND has a credit card, I don't know of many/any forumites that meet that criteria...except maybe Barry....

You know I have both of those things and would be happy to drive but that kind of negates the whole point what with me being halfway to Scotland already laugh.gif

I would be willing to chip in with the cost if it was considered though as it'd be a LOT cheaper than the bloody train rolleyes.gif

I'll take this to the relevant thread now *wanders off to right thread humming* wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.