Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advertising - Would It Annoy You Too Much?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > About the animations
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Phyllis
I can see them too!

They are flashing and telling me I have just won. Ahahahaha. Silly banners, I do not believe you!
Hobbes
Am I the only one that cannot resist playing those stupid "Shoot the iPod/Nintendo/PlayStation/Crab/Small Child" games that appear on the banners, knowing full well that, when I do, I'll be forwarded elsewhere?

No?

Just me then...
voices_in_my_head
no, I do that too.

I see the banners on the site, but I can't see the ones on the fourms...
elphaba2
I've been selected as a winner!
voices_in_my_head
So far, I've won $50, a PS2, and ipod, and a laptop.
I've also been the 7755478th visitor to the site three times in a row.
And my computer may be infected with spyware. acourding to the banner, anyway, and I always trust the banner!
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Hobbes, I do the shoot the duck things!

Eww... you've all got flashy banners sad.gif that sucks.
Mata
Hmm... Evidently the advertisers to the UK have had enough people complaining that we hate flashing banners. The ones I've seen have all been rather tasteful. Sorry about the flashing ones!
Righteous
If anyone here gets _really_ annoyed by the banners, do what I do: Think to yourself, "Mata's getting money out of this to support Matazone. We love Mata. We love Matazone. So be it. *cyber hugs Mata*"
LoLo
I clicked on one to see if I was a good kisser, because that's what it said to do, but I couldn't be asked to take the time to refuse 20 different kinds of spam e-mail, to do the test so I left.

I guess I just won't ever know if I'm a good kisser or not.
I_am_the_best
I still can't see the ones at the top. sad.gif

Hehe, you're ont alone Hobbes, I especially love the one with the monkeys and bananas and you have to get the bananas through the hoop...
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Apr 20 2005, 05:01 PM)
I still can't see the ones at the top. sad.gif

*nog* Me neither.
froggle-rock
In FireFox 1.0 using the default skin I can see both the AOL banner at the top, and the search boxes at the bottom.
Moosh
I can see an Ad! it's for Ask jeeves. but I'm still getting the Click Me most of the time
I_am_the_best
I'm use IE and have no ad blockers so I don't see what the problem should be. huh.gif Oh well, I guess there's nothing to complain about. unsure.gif
Righteous
[spam]
QUOTE (LoLo @ Apr 20 2005, 11:50 AM)
I guess I just won't ever know if I'm a good kisser or not.

Witness testimonies are much more accurate than tests.
[/spam]

I'm curious. If I go from one page with a banner to another page with a banner, do you get extra cash or is it a one-shot deal? If it's the previous, I'm gonna go cruising the forums a lot more.
beleraphon
its telling me about how wonderful AOL is
but I'm not in the mood to have my pc invaded by that gang of net-nazi's somehow.

Mata, do you decide or have any say in what the banners advertise or is it up to the banner people?
believe
Its creepy when I'm surfing the web and suddenly I hear voices or sounds from the banners. ohmy.gif
Mata
Bele: I've been told that if an advertiser turns up who I think is inappropriate I can request to have them removed from my site. I did mention the ad for William Hill (a UK betting agency) but apparently people are using the ads so I guess there must be more people interested in gambling than I thought blink.gif

Most banners usually don't make noises unless you do something to them... at least, they shouldn't otherwise it's pretty daft having them on a site with animations and soundtracks.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
ooooh, when you have lots of spare cash from all the banners will you run some more competitions?

Please?
believe
They did make unprovoked noises! I was innocently browing the forums and suddenly heard sounds besides noise of my mp3 list. Pfeh. unsure.gif
Hobbes
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 21 2005, 06:27 PM)
Most banners usually don't make noises unless you do something to them... at least, they shouldn't otherwise it's pretty daft having them on a site with animations and soundtracks.

There is one that plays a sound without you doing anything: I don't remember what it is for, but it is one of those 'game' ones (that I do so love to play anyway, just for the sake of it). It features a little graphic of Brad Pitt running towards you, with a paparazzi photographer popping up behind him every now and again. You are supposed to shoot the photographer. But, even if you ignore the banner, it plays the sound effect of a camera going off repeatedly. This is very annoying, especially when you are listening to music whilst reading a page worth of messages smile.gif Oh well. I just refreshed the page to get a new, silent, banner instead.
eleraama
You may want to consider refusing the paparazzi one, Mata; I was watching an animation and it was really difficult to focuss my attention on your handiwork with 'k-chik! k-chik!' every two seconds. Should've reloaded the page...
Novander
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 21 2005, 06:27 PM)
I did mention the ad for William Hill (a UK betting agency) but apparently people are using the ads so I guess there must be more people interested in gambling than I thought blink.gif
I clicked on that a few times before you said we didnt need to click the links for you to get the money. Sorry.

Now I just ignore the ones at the top. I'll still use the amazon ones though.
Mata
Clicking on them occasionally is a useful thing. I think that if it looks like my site generates lots of clicks then I might be able to charge more in future... Maybe! But don't get too carried away, I don't want anyone to get too worried about clicking things and feeling bad if they don't do it. Maybe while you're waiting for an animation to load then give one of the banners a click, or something like that.

What's the name of the advertiser with the annoying clicking banners? I'll make sure that that one gets removed as soon as possible.

EDIT: got it now. Ignore that last bit.
depressed lonely crazy person
free greeting cards, get the weather on your computer, donate to tsunami victims,get screen savers, get smilies, do i want a new phone cover thingy?
believe
Argh. I've gotten the annoying paparazzi ad for the third time today. >_<
Usurper MrTeapot
I'm still not getting anything. How do I check my firefox firewall to see if it's blocking them?
Mata
From my ad guy:

I have just gone through all the fastclick campaigns and filtered out
anything junk-like.  I'll keep an eye on the revenue to see how thatís
affected.  Also could you check with your users to see if they're still
seeing these nasty ads?

Could someone let me know if the annoying one is still there?

MrTeapot: have you got the AdBlock extension installed?
Usurper MrTeapot
*nod* But I disabled it to see if the banners showed and they haven't.
Mata
Hmm. Okay. What other software have you got running? Some firewalls have built in adblockers. I think the latest Norton one did. If you can turn it off for just a moment to check then that would narrow it down, or at least discount that theory.
Usurper MrTeapot
Hmm this is really odd. I've turned off my windows security firewall but I'm still getting the 'click here' bit. However, when I do click there it takes me to an advert (so far Ask Jeeves).
Mata
So, just to clarify, do you always have the 'click here' text, or is that only with the Windows security turned off?
Usurper MrTeapot
Its always there.
Mata
Hmm. Okay... Are you with a pretty standard internet provider? Maybe the IP address is making the banners think that you're in an odd country... But then why would it still show you the alt text? *running out of ideas*
Usurper MrTeapot
I'm with NTL Broadband, looking at a previous post of Commie's it seems he can see them and is on the same provider as me.

Can you do with one less guy viewing your banners? I did try...
Mata
I can certainly survive with one less, but now I've become quite intrigued as to why you can't see them. In othe words, I'm getting stubborn now!

There is also the point that usually for every person who speaks up there will be a thousand who don't, but frankly that's just me trying to make myself feel better for being pig-headed about this!

This said, I've not got any more ideas at the moment...
Hobbes
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 24 2005, 02:52 AM)
There is also the point that usually for every person who speaks up there will be a thousand who don't, but frankly that's just me trying to make myself feel better for being pig-headed about this!

Indeed: Anybody who can't see the banners, but haven't read this particular thread (or just views the animations), won't know that there should be banners visible. So they won't mention it.
CommieBastard
Erm, not sure if you've changed something, Mata, but now I'm just getting the "Click Here" link...

Edit: or an AOL or Ask Jeeves banner. Seems to be random which I get.
Usurper MrTeapot
Are you not getting adverts either? Perhaps it is something to do with NTL Broadband...
CommieBastard
Actually, that seems to have stopped now... but for a brief time (I think about ten pageviews) I was getting "Click Me" links. Back to the ads now.
Mata
Hmm. I occasionally don't get anything show up either. It's possible that I've blocked the banner source on another site, but probably more likley that the ads server is under pressure so deciding not to serve anything to give itself a bit of a break.

I'll ask the ads chap if he knows what's going on.
I_am_the_best
I've tried on both IE and Firefox but still nothing. It just bugs me that I saw it once before then never again... I don't think that there have been any new ad blocking programs installed recently so I don't know what the problem is.
Mata
I asked my ad guy to have a look at this thread and tell me what he thinks, and basically he says I'm on the right tracks. It could be any of the things that I've mentioned, IP address issues, adblocking, the server not sending out the ads due to being overloaded... It could be anything. His suggestion is to not worry about it too much. There are still a good number of views for the banners, so while that keeps up it's not something to be too concerned about. Keep an eye on it to see if any ever turn up, but if you can't work out what's causing it then don't lose sleep over it either!
arachnidoc17
I noticed something though:
If anyone switches to the pre- 2.0 skin, the banners dissappear. Hm.
Mata
Yes, and several other things don't work properly either. In the pre-2.0 skins you are subscribed to threads by default when using the fast reply option.

I switched everyone over to the 2.0 skin when I updated the site's code.
arachnidoc17
Maybe you should get rid of pre-2.0 altogether?
I mean, we can all go onto the "the wayback machine" site and check it out if we really wanted to.
Mata
I've thought about it, but if people _really_ want to be without the banners then that is there as an option. I might do it anyway when I get around to it.
depressed lonely crazy person
No I don't like this at all please do make banners down the sides disapear they makes my vision go all scrumbly and my tummy all tense.
MistressAlti
Okay, there's now a banner down the side. Honestly, that is the most annoying thing ever.
oscarhilton
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 21 2005, 07:17 AM)
Okay, there's now a banner down the side. Honestly, that is the most annoying thing ever.

i agree.... it squeezes the whole thing down and you barely see the banner anyway
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.